PDA

View Full Version : Happy Gringo De Mayo

Joe (SoCal)
05-05-2019, 09:53 PM
So I bought a GoPro 7 Black for Hawaii and just started playing with it today.

AMAZING image quality and stabilization - We are gonna have so much fun with this :)

https://youtu.be/wHqjjWV1wlQ

sandtown
05-05-2019, 11:17 PM
For the occasion, good shot of the margarita.

webishop14
05-05-2019, 11:39 PM
Seeing as how George Lucas was raised in Modesto, Modesto now has declared May 4 its official holiday. "May the fourth be with you."

CWSmith
05-06-2019, 08:27 AM
We've done some experimenting with those little (and very cheap) dash cams. They are about 1 inch cube. They don't have as much memory as I would like, but they are dirt cheap and a lot of fun.

I'm sorry. I don't have any footage to show you. It's all been in the lab trying to get longer battery life and bigger memory cards. I want to use them WAY off the grid, like at 100,000 feet overhead...

The Bigfella
05-06-2019, 09:11 AM
One of the American girls I did the Mae Hong Son loop with (4 day ride) had that camera, Joe. The footage was fantastic. By the time we got back, she had 60Gb of footage. I like the map-following feature.

Norman Bernstein
05-06-2019, 09:13 AM
We've done some experimenting with those little (and very cheap) dash cams. They are about 1 inch cube. They don't have as much memory as I would like, but they are dirt cheap and a lot of fun.

I bought one of them.... yet another GoPro look-alike, sold cheaply out of China.

Mechanically, it was impressive... with really nice mounting brackets, a waterproof case, etc.

However, the image quality was just dreadful, with a great deal of 'Jello' effect (when the internal scan rate is so slow, there are visible distortions when filming a moving subject). The resolution was crappy, as well. Having paid only about $20 for it, I simply chucked it.

I found that an iPhone, attached to a chest mount, was surprisingly good, as a video camera.... it's what I used for that motorcycle video I posted, and the chest mount cost me only $15 on Amazon. Certainly not GoPro quality.... but far closer to GoPro, than the cheap Chinese clone.

Sure, GoPro is certainly the standard, for that sort of camera. But for very casual use, an iPhone is pretty damn good.

CWSmith
05-06-2019, 09:27 AM
I found that an iPhone, attached to a chest mount, was surprisingly good, as a video camera.... it's what I used for that motorcycle video I posted, and the chest mount cost me only $15 on Amazon. Certainly not GoPro quality.... but far closer to GoPro, than the cheap Chinese clone.

Sure, GoPro is certainly the standard, for that sort of camera. But for very casual use, an iPhone is pretty damn good.

I'm not flying my iPhone under a balloon up to 100,000 feet! :) I need something a whole lot cheaper. Also, at $500 I'm trying not to lose the GoPro, which is what started the search in the first place.

You're right about the cheap imitations. There is a reason the GoPro costs what it does. We've been flying some cheap flip cameras that we buy online. I don't think they're even made anymore.

Old Dryfoot
05-06-2019, 09:34 AM
I'm not flying my iPhone under a balloon up to 100,000 feet! :) I need something a whole lot cheaper. Also, at $500 I'm trying not to lose the GoPro, which is what started the search in the first place.

You're right about the cheap imitations. There is a reason the GoPro costs what it does. We've been flying some cheap flip cameras that we buy online. I don't think they're even made anymore.

A cheap alternative that uses a Sony sensor.
https://www.amazon.com/YI-Action-Sports-Camera-Control/dp/B01FU9ZIMU

Joe (SoCal)
05-06-2019, 09:35 AM
I bought one of them.... yet another GoPro look-alike, sold cheaply out of China.

Mechanically, it was impressive... with really nice mounting brackets, a waterproof case, etc.

However, the image quality was just dreadful, with a great deal of 'Jello' effect (when the internal scan rate is so slow, there are visible distortions when filming a moving subject). The resolution was crappy, as well. Having paid only about $20 for it, I simply chucked it.

I agree the iPhone is pretty damn good, but this GoPro Hero 7 Black is a WHOLE NEXT LEVEL STUFF. Shooting at beautiful 4K / 30 fps wide angle with Hypersmooth Stabilization is like having a gimbal or dolly shots.

Best of all I have the dive proof case and float handle - so we can take it diving, something you can't do with an iPhone ;) There is a cool app though :D

Decourcy
05-06-2019, 09:38 AM
I agree the iPhone is pretty damn good, but this GoPro Hero 7 Black is a WHOLE NEXT LEVEL STUFF. Shooting at beautiful 4K / 30 fps wide angle with Hypersmooth Stabilization is like having a gimbal or dolly shots.

Best of all I have the dive proof case and float handle - so we can take it diving, something you can't do with an iPhone ;)

Can't take an iPhone diving?
Tell that to Ted...

CWSmith
05-06-2019, 09:48 AM
A cheap alternative that uses a Sony sensor.
https://www.amazon.com/YI-Action-Sports-Camera-Control/dp/B01FU9ZIMU

I like that! I can buy 5 for the price of a GoPro and it might work well for what I need. Thank you.

Gary Davis
05-06-2019, 09:52 AM
You misspelled "fifth" in the opening

Jim Bow
05-06-2019, 09:56 AM
I bought this at Amazon. $60. Hint hint do 1080P instead of 4K. The results are great.
https://avada.oss-us-west-1.aliyuncs.com/https-dbpower.co/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/1-26.jpg

Old Dryfoot
05-06-2019, 09:57 AM
I like that! I can buy 5 for the price of a GoPro and it might work well for what I need. Thank you.

You're welcome. I hope it's useful.

Joe (SoCal)
05-06-2019, 10:13 AM
OK important question regarding the cheap clones, do they have Hypersmooth Stabilization ?
Seriously this makes all the difference between getting nauseous looking at the video you shot, or seeing smooth seamless gimbaled video.
I can shoot in 4K, 2.7K, 1080 & 720
I can shoot in 240, 120, 60, 30 & 24 FPS
I can do super slo mo and extra long timelapse

Old Dryfoot
05-06-2019, 10:17 AM
^ The Yi does, yes.

CWSmith
05-06-2019, 10:17 AM
I don't think the ClonePro we've played with has stabilization. I'm betting that's a big part of the GoPro price.

CWSmith
05-06-2019, 10:18 AM
I bought this at Amazon. $60. Hint hint do 1080P instead of 4K. The results are great.

Thank you! I'll look into that one as well.

John of Phoenix
05-06-2019, 10:20 AM
OK important question regarding the cheap clones, do they have Hypersmooth ?
Seriously this makes all the difference between getting nauseous looking at the video you shot, or seeing smooth seamless gimbaled video.
I can shoot in 4K, 2.7K, 1080 & 720
I can shoot in 240, 120, 60, 30 & 24 FPS
I can do super slo mo and extra long timelapseSpeaking of stabilization, is there a program to steady existing VOB files? I had some 8mm film converted to DVD and it's pretty shaky.

Old Dryfoot
05-06-2019, 10:22 AM
Here is a side by side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqINaN9j_RA

Joe (SoCal)
05-06-2019, 10:35 AM
The Yi 4K+ is WAY SHAKIER In movement video

FYI I bought my Hero 7 Black on sale at Costco with a 64K micro SD card, a float handle and a bunch of other accessories for $300 way better than any deals I saw on Amazon .

C. Ross
05-06-2019, 10:44 AM
GoPros just crush the competitors. Really impressive engineering.

Old Dryfoot
05-06-2019, 10:58 AM
The Yi 4K+ is WAY SHAKIER In movement video

FYI I bought my Hero 7 Black on sale at Costco with a 64K micro SD card, a float handle and a bunch of other accessories for $300 way better than any deals I saw on Amazon .

Watch the whole video, there are situations where the Yi does better at IS than the GoPro does.

Then there is the whole 5x as much angle. It comes down to what is going to work best for the intended purpose. Why spend money that you don't need to?

Also, both cameras were left with the default settings, so unless you take the time to tweak, you don't know just how close things can get.

Joe (SoCal)
05-06-2019, 11:09 AM
Yea I watched the whole video and I't seemed to work well or even in some regards better in regular video circumstances. But hugely FAILS IMHO when it comes to any sort of action video once the movement gets going the YI gets nauseous.

Also they give the price for the GoPro $400 which is not factual you can pick up just the camera no accessories for $183.99 online which is cheaper than the Yi. Like I said I bought my GoPro with a lot of kit for $300

So if price is the issue I'll stick with the name brand for roughly the same price as the knock off.

CWSmith
05-06-2019, 11:28 AM
Also they give the price for the GoPro $400 which is not factual you can pick up just the camera no accessories for $183.99 online which is cheaper than the Yi.

I have not seen that. I'll keep looking. At that price, I'll fly one and take my chances.

Joe (SoCal)
05-06-2019, 11:46 AM
I have not seen that. I'll keep looking. At that price, I'll fly one and take my chances.

My bad that was for the Hero 5. Still I think you can get one for under $300 if you just get the basic camera, but the bundles make a lot of sense.