PDA

View Full Version : The pumps are off

bob winter
04-29-2019, 08:34 PM
In Ottawa, we had the flood of the century in 2017. Now we are having a worse flood in 2019, a very short centuty. My buddy shut down his pumps today, it will be a total loss. So sad but living in a flood plain is not a good choice.

skuthorp
04-29-2019, 08:52 PM
Down where I sail 30 metres of dunes disappeared in one mild blow combined with an increasing swell size. This on top of 10 years of erosion of the beaches locally, many have just disappeared, leaves a main coast road less than 10 meters from the high tide mark and just across it a couple of hundred houses. On Philip Island several houses are in a precarious position already.
Previous efforts of surge protection have failed spectacularly, the last effort, wet sand fences, was washed away with the beach behind it last week.
I reckon it's just a bit too late to do much myself, the problem is global, not local.

Lots of places world wide where one big storm will reclaim big areas of coastal land and not give it back.

Historically the Cinque ports on the south coats of England, where Drake kept his fleet, were cast 5 miles inland by one big storm.
"The early 14th century saw a sharp decline in the power and influence of some members of the Confederation. The South East coast had been devastated by extremely violent storms in the previous century, permanently changing the coastline and making some harbours unusable."

Neither of our major parties want to touch the reality of this, telling people that their coastal property is worth squat and cannot be saved. And not a sign of planning for a coping mechanism for all this, including increasing desertification, lower stream flows (already a reality, down 40% in some places). Heads in the sand seems to be the rule because acknowledging a need for action would impact the financial viability of most of the big party's financiers.

bob winter
04-29-2019, 09:01 PM
You are right, we are not looking at a rosy future. Now they are talking eleven years. I personally think it will be less than that. Not a big deal considering I am seventy five, but a bit of a bummer for my son and grandson. It’s their issue, not mine but they have there issues, they have no idea of to snare a bunny.

Jim Bow
04-29-2019, 09:19 PM
I heard the tail end of a BBC broadcast that said Jakarta, Indonesia is sinking. A new Capitol city will be built elsewhere.

skuthorp
04-29-2019, 09:22 PM
Jakarta and Manilla, but much of the sinking is due to untrammelled ground water extraction.

epoxyboy
04-30-2019, 03:11 AM
Look on the bright side. The manmade Chinese military islands in the South China Sea will probably get taken care of, without anyone firing a shot. If a big typhoon doesn't do it, a modest rise in sea level will.

Pete

CWSmith
04-30-2019, 09:35 AM
The pumps are off? I thought maybe you meant this:

http://www.digibless.com/wp-content/uploads/ca/thumb-catchy-photobeautiful-woman-legs-with-a-fuchsia-high-heels-dangling-isolated-on-a-white-background.jpg

mmd
04-30-2019, 09:39 AM
Bob, it certainly is a tough spring in many places in Canada, and in other countries. My condolences to your buddy - it must be a tough decision. We are hearing a lot about the flooding in your area on the radio.