PDA

View Full Version : My favorite ride

Norman Bernstein
04-25-2019, 04:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjCTrVpH-68&feature=youtu.be

This stretch of road is less than a quarter mile from my house. The land you see (except for the last 40 seconds or so) is either owned by the Mass Audubon Society, or the Mass Trustees of Reservations... it was all part of the Kendall estate (they, of 'Band-Aid' fame) before the family donated it. The road was just paved in the fall, so the surface is perfect... and it's been a glorious day, about 65 degrees, sunny and cloudless, not too much wind... a great day to take a nice ride.

The video was taken with an iPhone on a chest mount... sorry about the sound, I wasn't in the office, so I didn't have the opportunity to replace the wind noise with something more pleasant. It's my first motorcycle video :)

Stiletto
04-25-2019, 05:35 PM
Nice!

Ted Hoppe
04-25-2019, 07:36 PM
That is exactly what you needed. Beautiful road on the new bike to clear your head and to help put things in order. If I lived closer - would have bought the coffee and donuts! Thanks for sharing.

The Bigfella
04-25-2019, 09:09 PM
Good one, Norman. Thanks for reminding me.... I have a clip I was putting together... and got distracted. I'll get back to it.

L.W. Baxter
04-25-2019, 09:38 PM
right to the donut shop...

nice stretch of road, Norman.

BrianW
04-25-2019, 09:45 PM
Very nice! No fall leaves to worry about, just bare trees letting in lots of sun. Regine would love the gear indicator.

Norman Bernstein
04-26-2019, 09:35 AM
Very nice! No fall leaves to worry about, just bare trees letting in lots of sun. Regine would love the gear indicator.

Yeah, the gear indicator is a nice feature... at least, when first getting to 'learn' the bike, it's a useful accessory. Models before 2018 apparently had the mechanism, but not the display... and the 2017 models could be equipped with an external LED gear indicator, that connected easily to the harness.

One thing that struck me, after watching the video, was that it seemed slower than it felt like, while actually riding. I don't attempt to go excessively fast on roads like that, but neither do I 'dawdle'.... the camera just makes things look slower.

I'm still in the break-in period, so I'm still keeping things below 5,000 RPM.... but I've occasionally, and briefly, wound it out to 6,000 RPM, and can tell that it's going to be much more fun when I can finally use all the revs the engine can provide.... redline is 9600 RPM.

One other note: for anyone who wants to make a similar video, using an iPhone on a chest mount, be advised that the clarity of the video is FAR better, when it's local to your PC or Mac... YouTube apparently down-converts to a lower resolution... or possibly, the .MOV format I uploaded to YouTube was a mistake.