PDA

View Full Version : Playoff hockey!

bamamick
04-25-2019, 10:48 AM
Where I live we do not play hockey, but when my kids were growing up Mobile had a team in the ECHL, the Mobile Mysticks. They drew good crowds and even had a retail store selling all of their kit and it was fairly normal to see people walking around wearing Mysticks stuff. For whatever reason they were bought and moved to Gwinnett County, Georgia, where they became the Gwinnett Gladiators and reside there to this day.

My kids loved the Mysticks and we used to go six-eight times a year. I have been to two Colorado Av's games, and if I lived near there I'd most certainly go to more. I enjoy watching hockey from the arena very much, though not so much on television. Playoff hockey is widely considered to be the most exciting of sporting events in North America, and a game seven the most exciting thing of them all. As I have posted here many times my youngest kiddo lives in a suburb of Boston. Her longtime boyfriend is from California, and the two of them have turned into huge Bruins fans. They have jerseys, know all the players, and this year were able to get season tickets. When the Bruins played Toronto in Boston in their recent game seven she was sending me movies from her phone, and that place was about to explode. She has been going to Alabama football games with me since she was 12 (she is approaching 31) and told me last night that it was the most exciting thing she had ever been a part of. So cool.

What do you folks think of playoff hockey? My kid is crazy for the Bruins, but I have to say, if I had to pick a team it would be Colorado. :)

Mickey Lake

Figment
04-25-2019, 10:56 AM
They have season tickets to the B's? Damn I don't even want to know what that costs!

The second round is when I can actually settle-in and ENJOY the playoffs. The first round is just a bit much, two games per night for two weeks, even though I don't even pretend to try to watch it all I still wind up sleep-deprived.
We seem to have established a tradition, however... as long as there is a canadian team still alive in the playoffs, littlegirl and I sing O Canada during bedtime teethbrushing.

Flying Orca
04-25-2019, 11:00 AM
I watched as many round one Jets games as I could. Sadly, they just didn't have the grit they showed last year, and they lost fair and square to the Blues. Game seven of the Leafs/Bruins series was pretty hot. I'm looking forward to taking in a few more games but I won't be watching all that many now there are no Canadian teams left. I love the fact that I can stream them without ads, though; I had given up watching hockey because of the advertising.

Mike J
04-25-2019, 11:06 AM
That was a heck of a series, wasn't it? I'm a lifelong Blues fan and although I want to see them take the cup finally, its series like that one that make me a fan of the game.

Mike

Breakaway
04-25-2019, 11:28 AM
I'm a lifelong hockey fan. Played it as a kid and into my twenties. Attended plenty of Rangers and Islanders games. Looking forward to the Islanders continued success this post-season. If they get knocked out, I'll still be tuning in, perhaps with less enthusiasm.

Kevin

Fitz
04-25-2019, 12:07 PM
I watch it a lot, but they only score after I have got up and gone to the bathroom...:p

Figment
04-25-2019, 12:29 PM
I watched as many round one Jets games as I could. Sadly, they just didn't have the grit they showed last year, and they lost fair and square to the Blues. Game seven of the Leafs/Bruins series was pretty hot. I'm looking forward to taking in a few more games but I won't be watching all that many now there are no Canadian teams left. I love the fact that I can stream them without ads, though; I had given up watching hockey because of the advertising.

you're watching without ads... so what are they showing when the other outlets are running ads?

for the first week I kinda missed my old directv system because the dvr enabled the ad-skipping. Now I'm streaming via hulu/nbcsports and you can't skip through the ads. You can skip-ahead through the intermissions and such, but they still run all the ads before resuming the broadcast. So I've kinda gone oldschool and keep a crossword puzzle handy for the commercial breaks.

bamamick
04-25-2019, 02:31 PM
They have season tickets to the B's? Damn I don't even want to know what that costs!

The second round is when I can actually settle-in and ENJOY the playoffs. The first round is just a bit much, two games per night for two weeks, even though I don't even pretend to try to watch it all I still wind up sleep-deprived.
We seem to have established a tradition, however... as long as there is a canadian team still alive in the playoffs, littlegirl and I sing O Canada during bedtime teethbrushing.

I am being told I misspoke. They have some kind of quarter-season package. They still go to almost every game but I am not sure where they are getting their non-season tickets. Maybe they know a guy. :)

They both have good incomes, no kids, live fiscally conservative lives....except for hockey. The kid also loves the New England Revolution of the MLS, but she says that the crowds are small and it's tough to get too fired up about them. In five years she has really come to love living in the Boston area, except for being away so far from family.

Mickey Lake

Figment
04-25-2019, 02:47 PM
I would suggest that they attend some Providence Bruins games. It's 80% of the hockey at 10% of the cost (particularly when parking and dinner are factored in), and if they go to Foxboro for Revolution games they probably won't mind the extra ten minutes to Providence.

I think the B's are going to have a tough go against columbus. Columbus is rested and prepared, whereas the Leafs gave the B's all they could handle. Tough series to predict. Columbus could take it in 5, but if Boston can make it to game 7 they'll probably win.

I think the islanders will handle the canes.

The western conference... I can't predict those series at all. I can't stay up late enough to watch western conference games anymore.

Robbie 2
04-25-2019, 04:01 PM
I love NHL hockey....but it never makes it to NZ TV
I watch the Compressed Game highlight packages on Youtube.

Breakaway
04-25-2019, 06:07 PM
I love NHL hockey....but it never makes it to NZ TV
I watch the Compressed Game highlight packages on Youtube.

You can stream the games through HULU...by signing up for the one-month free trial. Not that I am suggesting anything. :)

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Puttputt
04-25-2019, 07:30 PM
Vancouver is a hockey-mad town so the playoffs have been a vicarious thrill for us the past few seasons.
That said, the first round this year had some great series and unbelievable upsets.
Kevin, your Islanders are in a great position and the crowd at Nassau was incredible. Kind of sucks that they have to move back to Brooklyn for round two.

Garret
04-25-2019, 07:52 PM
I'm currently in Columbus for work & dinner at a bar tonight with the BJ-Bruins game on was nuts.

I'm not a pro hockey fan - but have season tickets to Div. 1 Univ. of VT - so I generally prefer collitch. Seeing the game tonight with Columbus folks was kind of a fun change from being in New England & used to Bruins fans.

chas
04-25-2019, 07:52 PM
Watching it here Mickey; I'm in a remote location so we live-stream free, which is usually the NBC feed.

My Habs didn't make it, and now that the Leafs are gone the rest of my family and some friends can shut up and get on with a real life. Carolina sent the Stanley Cup champs golfing last night in a great Game 7, 2 overtime periods and the most deserving team won. With Tampa Bay and Calgary out she's all up for grabs now. Who wants it the most?

I understand your problem with watching the game on tv. Having played the game I understand where the off-screen players are supposed to be, so the flow of the game is more apparent even with the partial view of the ice surface. It would be difficult to watch without that knowledge. / Jim

Harry Miller
04-25-2019, 08:46 PM
We’ve been waiting since 1967. So this is not unexpected.
I never played hockey but I did play basketball for 25-30 years.
Now I only have to watch the Raptors

chas
04-25-2019, 09:09 PM
Your time will come Harry! on the way up in Toronto. / Jim

Flying Orca
04-26-2019, 07:09 AM
That was a heck of a series, wasn't it? I'm a lifelong Blues fan and although I want to see them take the cup finally, its series like that one that make me a fan of the game.

Yeah, it was good hockey. I thought the Jets tried to play their game - speed and grind - but were a step behind for too much of the series, particularly in several key third periods. It's a beautiful game, though.

Flying Orca
04-26-2019, 07:11 AM
you're watching without ads... so what are they showing when the other outlets are running ads?

A spinning NHL logo that says "commercial break in progress".

It's great.

Flying Orca
04-26-2019, 07:13 AM
I can't stay up late enough to watch western conference games anymore.

I hear that! I think last night's Stars/Blues game started at nine freakin' thirty. That's when I usually go to bed!

Flying Orca
04-26-2019, 07:15 AM
You can stream the games through HULU...by signing up for the one-month free trial. Not that I am suggesting anything.

You can stream the games for free by googling "reddit nhl streams". However, I am unaware of the precise legal status of the streams, and of course I would never advocate copyright infringement.

Todd D
04-26-2019, 09:02 AM
I haven't watched hockey for many years. I used to play and attend as many games as I could. However, that was when I lived in Edmonton and I could watch Gretzky and the Oilers at their peak. Then I moved to Manitoba and kind of lost interest largely because the small isolated town I lived in only got TV via a satellite system and for some reason only Detroit TV stations. After that I moved to New Brunswick and quit watching hockey completely because we only got HABS games which I couldn't watch having developed my taste for hockey in Alberta.

Figment
04-26-2019, 09:14 AM
HDTV saved hockey for me.

I grew up playing, and would watch ANY game live. NHL, AHL, peewee, whatever. On TV I just couldn't stand it.
Then came HDTV and omigod you can actually SEE the puck... you can actually see what's going on away from the puck because the cameraman can back off a bit and show the whole zone... Total gamechanger.

Now I really don't like attending NHL games very much because of the damn TV-timeouts. They're even infecting some of the college games now grrrrrrrumblmumblemutter.

Breakaway
04-26-2019, 09:37 AM
HDTV saved hockey for me.

I grew up playing, and would watch ANY game live. NHL, AHL, peewee, whatever. On TV I just couldn't stand it.
Then came HDTV and omigod you can actually SEE the puck... you can actually see what's going on away from the puck because the cameraman can back off a bit and show the whole zone... Total gamechanger.

Now I really don't like attending NHL games very much because of the damn TV-timeouts. They're even infecting some of the college games now grrrrrrrumblmumblemutter.

How far we have come. Growing up, we kids would watch games in my parent's basement on a 20-inch black and white TV.

https://youtu.be/4BBAjEefzhM

Kevin

Paul Pless
04-26-2019, 10:34 AM
as long as there is a canadian team still alive in the playoffs, littlegirl and I sing O Canada during bedtime teethbrushing.that's showing respect

Flying Orca
04-26-2019, 11:52 AM
How far we have come. Growing up, we kids would watch games in my parent's basement on a 20-inch black and white TV.

I saw a very small number of games on a 14" BW tube when we lived in New Brunswick. Other than that, I didn't see much in the way of televised hockey until the 1980 Winter Olympics. We were down south that winter and my folks rented a big console colour TV, maybe 24", for the duration of the Games. Otherwise we usually didn't have a TV in the house even when down south, and up north there was no telephone, let alone TV.

We briefly had cable TV after I got married, as it came free with the apartment. That was the first year I watched the playoffs. Then we moved; no more cable.

I've mostly been more into international hockey than the NHL, probably because the Winter Olympics were a big deal for us growing up. My dad was a state champion skier and was on the Dartmouth ski team when it was coached by the guy who coached the national ski team; if his birth and marriage had been better timed, he might have been an Olympian. And we all figure skated and played hockey.

The big flat HD picture is indeed a revelation.

moTthediesel
04-26-2019, 12:24 PM
I started watching hockey with my Dad. We used to get CBC broadcasts from CKWS in Kingston then, and we would always watch "Hockey Night in Canada" every Saturday. They didn't even show the whole game at that time, it was joined "in progress" during the second period. I think the lead-in show was "Don Messer's Jubilee" but I could be wrong? Anyway, it was always the dulcet tones of Foster Hewitt calling the play -- "he shoots! he scores!" He was good, but my favorite play by play guy was Danny Gallivan, even though I hated the Habs, he was the best they'll ever be.

Now CKWS is no longer a CBC affiliate, and we can't get HNIC, other channels broadcast the games, but it's not the same. I even almost miss that airhole Don Cherry, almost.

Tom

Flying Orca
04-26-2019, 12:38 PM
I even almost miss that airhole Don Cherry, almost.

Not much to miss. He's become a parody of himself.

Garret
04-26-2019, 01:00 PM
I started watching hockey with my Dad. We used to get CBC broadcasts from CKWS in Kingston then, and we would always watch "Hockey Night in Canada" every Saturday. They didn't even show the whole game at that time, it was joined "in progress" during the second period. I think the lead-in show was "Don Messer's Jubilee" but I could be wrong? Anyway, it was always the dulcet tones of Foster Hewitt calling the play -- "he shoots! he scores!" He was good, but my favorite play by play guy was Danny Gallivan, even though I hated the Habs, he was the best they'll ever be.

Now CKWS is no longer a CBC affiliate, and we can't get HNIC, other channels broadcast the games, but it's not the same. I even almost miss that airhole Don Cherry, almost.

Tom

In VT, I get CBC (Channel 6) from Montreal clear as a bell (broadcast). You're that much further away?

moTthediesel
04-26-2019, 01:06 PM
In VT, I get CBC (Channel 6) from Montreal clear as a bell (broadcast). You're that much further away?

Nope, we’re too far west to get Montreal stations. We used the get snowy reception from Ottawa, but with digital now, that’s out too.

Breakaway
04-26-2019, 05:55 PM
The puck drops soon!

Kevin

Flying Orca
04-26-2019, 05:58 PM
I think I have to watch some of that one, in between reno jobs in the bathroom and preparing dinner.

Flying Orca
04-26-2019, 06:11 PM
Ouch. The anthem was painful and the colour guy is giving me serious second thoughts - is he always that screechy?

Breakaway
04-26-2019, 06:22 PM
Ouch. The anthem was painful

She was definitely trying too hard.

Islanders Power Play coming up.

Kevin

Flying Orca
04-26-2019, 06:46 PM
Good first period. The Isles have their work cut out for them, but they look reasonably well-matched.

Breakaway
04-26-2019, 06:59 PM
Isles beat the 'Canes all four times they played in the regular season. Still, they looked good in that first period, seemed to be gelling better than NY. We'll see.

Kevin

Puttputt
04-26-2019, 07:10 PM
The Isles have a week of rust to burn off. I suspect they’ll be firing on all eight in the 2nd and third.

Flying Orca
04-26-2019, 07:11 PM
Isles beat the 'Canes all four times they played in the regular season. Still, they looked good in that first period, seemed to be gelling better than NY. We'll see.

Kevin

Yeah, I kind of thought so too.

Is the screechy guy Eddie O? I liked him better in a Jets sweater. :D

Is this series going to be a goaltenders' duel?

Breakaway
04-26-2019, 07:57 PM
Is the screechy guy Eddie O? I liked him better in a Jets sweater. :D

It is! I had to look him up. He is scheduled to cover the Kentucky Derby next...

Kevin

Breakaway
04-26-2019, 08:01 PM
Third period starting. Still no score.

Breakaway
04-26-2019, 08:05 PM
Isles lose Clutterbuck for four minutes for high sticking.Doh!

Chris Woodward
04-26-2019, 08:22 PM
'Canes have way more active sticks. Islanders can't set any thing up. They're having a hard enough time getting across the blue line ,the Canes have picked them a dozen times.

Breakaway
04-26-2019, 08:40 PM
Agreed, Chris.

And we go to OT

Kevin

Chris Woodward
04-26-2019, 08:47 PM
And then there is Mazarek.

Lenher reminds me of the GIECO ad with the walrus in net.
Wished he played like this for the Sabres.

Breakaway
04-26-2019, 08:50 PM
LOL

Breakaway
04-26-2019, 09:02 PM
Hurricanes score and win in OT.

Kevin

Flying Orca
04-26-2019, 09:22 PM
Wish I'd seen the third period and OT. Unfortunately, about an hour and a half before I usually go to bed, Oystagirl decided we had to do some bathroom flooring and put in the new vanity and medicine cabinet, because the plumber is coming tomorrow at noon. :o

Breakaway
04-27-2019, 01:02 PM
It was a goaltender's duel, as you thought.

Breakaway
04-28-2019, 02:44 PM
Power play goal!
Islanders up 1-0 in Game 2. First Period.

Kevin

Flying Orca
04-28-2019, 03:43 PM
Missed the first period, and the second featured perhaps the most poorly executed five-on-three in recent memory. Carolina's got to play better if they want to advance... not that I care much who wins this series.

Breakaway
04-28-2019, 03:53 PM
^ You missed a big hit by Clutterbuck that took Hurricane's van Reimsdyk out of the game in the first minute.

The Islanders are hitting them tonight; the other night they were not making anybody pay the price.....

Kevin

Breakaway
04-28-2019, 03:55 PM
That's the end of 2nd period. Still 1-0 Islanders.

Kevin

Breakaway
04-28-2019, 04:14 PM
Carolina scores early in the third period. Game tied 1-1.

Breakaway
04-28-2019, 04:15 PM
Dang! Canes scored again!

2-1 Carolina. 18 minutes 55 seconds to go in third period.

Kevin

Flying Orca
04-28-2019, 04:30 PM
It's like Carolina is a completely different team from the one that played the second period.

Breakaway
04-28-2019, 04:34 PM
Agreed.

Flying Orca
04-28-2019, 04:41 PM
Not that the Isles are doing anything wrong - just not getting the bounces. Well, and not winning the battles behind the Carolina net.

Flying Orca
04-28-2019, 04:48 PM
And McElhinney appears to have sat on a horseshoe or two.

Breakaway
04-28-2019, 04:50 PM
At least!

Canes win 2-1.

Kevin

Flying Orca
04-28-2019, 05:58 PM
Uphill battle for the Islanders now. I know how it feels to watch that! We all felt a lot better after the Jets won two in St Louis. (After the next two games, not so much.)

Flying Orca
05-01-2019, 07:52 PM
Carolina's powerplay is still lackadaisical.

OK, I have a question: why do American announcers say "Duh-VONN" Toews? I lived next door to Devon Island, my nephew is named after Devon Island, and I've been to the actual real Devon, and they are all pronounced "DEV-in". That's the pronunciation indicated on Toews' Wikipedia page, too. So what's up with duh-VON? I'd be VERY surprised to hear that he pronounces it that way himself...

Breakaway
05-01-2019, 08:12 PM
Dunno about Devon.

Missed the first two periods. Nice skating and passing so far this period.

Kevin

Flying Orca
05-01-2019, 08:19 PM
He's good. That whole line - Barzal, Toews, and... Eberle? Skilled.

Breakaway
05-01-2019, 08:25 PM
Dang

Hurricanes 3-2

9 35 to play in game 3

chas
05-01-2019, 08:31 PM
Goalie got burnt by a dangerous pass attempt. Should have gone the other way. / Jim

Breakaway
05-01-2019, 08:39 PM
66 seconds left

Faceoff in canes zone

Isles empty net.

Breakaway
05-01-2019, 08:40 PM
Canes scored in the empty net.

57 seconds remaining.

K

Flying Orca
05-01-2019, 08:41 PM
That will do it.

The Canes' arena reminds me a little of Winnipeg's.

Breakaway
05-01-2019, 08:42 PM
Another empty net goal.

Goodnight, Islanders.

Kevin

Breakaway
05-01-2019, 08:43 PM
The Canes' arena reminds me a little of Winnipeg's.

They showed the scoreboard: it read the noise level at 115 db-A

Kevin

EDIT: 36551

Flying Orca
05-01-2019, 08:44 PM
Yeah. I remember the announcers at the Columbus game making a big deal of the fans being on their feet most of the game. What, do they expect people to sit down?! :D

Breakaway
05-03-2019, 06:18 PM
1-0 Islanders on the powerplay early in first period.
K

Breakaway
05-03-2019, 06:19 PM
Carolina came right back on the powerplay of their own.

Tie game.

Kevin

Breakaway
05-03-2019, 06:27 PM
More penalties. Both sides.

4 on 4 playing now.

K

Breakaway
05-03-2019, 06:48 PM
End of an exciting first period. Canes and Isles tied 1-1.

Kevin

Breakaway
05-03-2019, 07:11 PM
Canes score.

2-1 Carolina.

Kevin

Breakaway
05-03-2019, 07:11 PM
Canes score again.

3-1 Carolina

Breakaway
05-03-2019, 07:15 PM
Islanders took goalie Lehner out of the game. Griess is in.

But, I gotta say, the goals are more the fault of the D than the goalie.

Kevin

Breakaway
05-03-2019, 07:22 PM
4-1 Carolina.

Chris Woodward
05-03-2019, 07:32 PM
Ouch.
Isles are getting out hustled in every aspect of the game.
Carolina is just the better team at this point.

Breakaway
05-03-2019, 07:52 PM
Ouch.
Isles are getting out hustled in every aspect of the game.
Carolina is just the better team at this point.

Yep. Outskated, outshot and out of chances.

Kevin

Chris Woodward
05-03-2019, 08:02 PM
That ten day layoff didn't help.

Breakaway
05-03-2019, 08:35 PM
Isles score with 1 minute to go.

5-2

The canes deserve it.

Kevin

pkrone
05-04-2019, 08:56 AM
Go Stars!!

Flying Orca
05-04-2019, 08:58 AM
Isles score with 1 minute to go.

5-2

The canes deserve it.

Kevin

Sorry your boys lost, Kevin... but I have to say I'm hoping for a Carolina/Columbus eastern final!

Breakaway
05-04-2019, 10:47 AM
Yeah. Carolina played more like a champ team. Hopefully that means great hockey to come.

Chris Woodward
05-04-2019, 11:41 AM
The Islanders never shoulda gone to Brooklyn, shoulda stayed on the Island.
In all seriousness, why did they play the second round at the Barclay Center?

Flying Orca
05-04-2019, 01:00 PM
The Islanders never shoulda gone to Brooklyn, shoulda stayed on the Island.

Pardon my geographical ignorance, but I thought Brooklyn was the westernmost part of Long Island?? Or does "Islanders" refer to something else?

Breakaway
05-04-2019, 01:36 PM
Brooklyn ( and Queens) are both geographically located on the west end of the island of Long Island.

Governmentally, Brooklyn and Queens are boroughs ( like a county) of the City of New York. Long Island, governmentally, is comprised of Nassau and Suffolk counties.

The Islanders home is the Nassau Coliseum. The NHL deems this venue subpar, and so the Isles play at Barclays Center in Brooklyn until the new arena in Nassau County, which is planned ,is built.

Clear as permafrost?

Kevin

Breakaway
05-04-2019, 08:50 PM
This Bruins /Bluejackets third period: 4 goals in 4 mins. Tied 3-3. 5 mins to play.

Breakaway
05-04-2019, 08:58 PM
Bruins scored. 1:28 on the clock.

4-3 Boston

Breakaway
05-04-2019, 09:02 PM
14 secs to play. Face-off in Bruins zone...

Breakaway
05-04-2019, 09:04 PM
And the Bruins hold on to win.

Mike J
05-05-2019, 04:41 PM
Go go go Blues! I hope Bishop is OK, I liked him as a a Blue. Clearing my schedule for Tuesday night!

Flying Orca
05-05-2019, 08:02 PM
Clear as permafrost?

Maybe kinda. So the City is distinct from the Island, even though part of it is on the Island?

Breakaway
05-05-2019, 10:23 PM
Maybe kinda. So the City is distinct from the Island, even though part of it is on the Island?

Yes. In fact the city comprises maybe 8 or 10 islands, plus part of Long Island, plus a part on mainland USA.

Kevin

Flying Orca
05-06-2019, 06:57 AM
Yes. In fact the city comprises maybe 8 or 10 islands, plus part of Long Island, plus a part on mainland USA.

Now I'm confused again. Isn't the mainland part in New Jersey?

(I'm genuinely curious about this; I've read tons of references to NYC geography but had absolutely no mental map or context for them, so all the various geographical and neighbourhood references just exist as disconnected labels in my head.)

Garret
05-06-2019, 07:27 AM
Everything to the left (west) of the lighter colored area is Jersey. To the north (where it says "Yonkers") is New York. Staten Island probably shoulda been a part of NJ, but since when did borders make sense?

The river to the west of the city (the Hudson) is the border between NY & NJ.

Chris Woodward
05-06-2019, 08:33 PM
3-0 Boston
Columbus looks tired, Bruins are getting stronger.

Figment
05-07-2019, 07:51 AM
Gotta feel for Bobrovsky. That dude stood on his head for six games.

Flying Orca
05-07-2019, 09:40 AM
Yeah, I'm sorry to see Columbus knocked out. Boston... meh.

Chris Woodward
05-08-2019, 08:09 AM
Gotta feel for Bobrovsky. That dude stood on his head for six games.

So did Bishop for the Stars. 52 saves last night but lost game 7 in 2nd OT.

Game 7 tonight between the Colorado Avalanche and the San Jose Sharks.

These playoffs have been some great hockey.

chas
05-09-2019, 07:41 PM
Carolina and the Sharks in the Final, Bruins are done. Your prediction? :d / Jim

Flying Orca
05-09-2019, 08:02 PM
I'd like to see a Blues/Canes final, myself.

Flying Orca
05-09-2019, 08:38 PM
And they are playing like champions tonight!

Breakaway
05-09-2019, 09:11 PM
They are( the Canes)!
Powerplay goal for Bruins though, so, tie game. 2-2. Third period.

Kevin

Breakaway
05-09-2019, 09:13 PM
Textbook. Another power play goal for Boston. 3-2.

Kevin

Flying Orca
05-09-2019, 09:24 PM
Yeah, still not sure what that first Hamilton penalty was about. (The second one was just stupid.)

Breakaway
05-11-2019, 07:24 PM
San Jose on the board early.

1-0 Sharks

Breakaway
05-11-2019, 07:32 PM
Blues scored.

1-1

Both of these teams are fast!

Kevin

Breakaway
05-11-2019, 07:36 PM
San Jose has a 5 on 3 due to two penalties by the Blues....

Breakaway
05-11-2019, 07:37 PM
And they scored

2-1 Sharks

Breakaway
05-11-2019, 08:51 PM
4-2 Sharks, late in the 2nd period

( I took a meal break)

Kevin

Breakaway
05-11-2019, 08:52 PM
5-2 sharks. Goal scored off a St. Louis player's skate ( Sucks to be him...)

Kevin

Breakaway
05-11-2019, 08:56 PM
And that's the second period. 5-2 Sharks.

K

Breakaway
05-11-2019, 09:36 PM
ST Louis Scored. 5-3

7 mins remain in the game.

Kevin

Breakaway
05-11-2019, 09:44 PM
3 mins to go. Blues playing with empty net.

Breakaway
05-11-2019, 09:47 PM
Sharks scored. 6-3 2 mins to go.

Breakaway
05-11-2019, 09:48 PM
Brawl

Figment
05-13-2019, 08:57 AM
was it just me or did the Canes kinda collapse right after the first goal?

Flying Orca
05-13-2019, 09:33 AM
No idea, I was out in the land of slow internets for Mothers' Day. Sorry to see them down by two, though. I was hoping for a Canes/Blues final, but it's looking more likely to be Bruins/Sharks.

Figment
05-13-2019, 09:43 AM
I have hope that Brindamour will make some significant adjustment which, coupled with home-ice matchup advantage, levels the series.

Breakaway
05-13-2019, 11:02 AM
I missed the Bruins- Canes game.

Let's remember any team can beat ANY team once or twice, that's why they play best of seven.

Kevin

Flying Orca
05-13-2019, 11:17 AM
I missed the Bruins- Canes game.

Let's remember any team can beat ANY team once or twice, that's why they play best of seven.

Kevin

Sure. But two down is a hole.

Breakaway
05-13-2019, 11:23 AM
Sure. But two down is a hole.

Agreed.

Figment
05-13-2019, 12:33 PM
yeah, that's the vibe I got. The Canes fell into a bit of a hole early, and just kinda took their foot off the gas a bit because it was only game two.

bamamick
05-13-2019, 01:36 PM
My kid was at the Bruins game. She is loving her some hockey these days.

Mickey Lake

rbgarr
05-13-2019, 04:36 PM
Bear Force One!

chas
05-13-2019, 07:35 PM
First game was there for the Canes to take, they came out flat in the third. The Bergeron line is masterful and Marchand is showing up with Conn Smythe attitude; I hate the Bruins!

It will be interesting how the Blues respond at home, I think they are in over their head. / Jim

Breakaway
05-13-2019, 08:18 PM
Blues score in first two minutes. Now, at 15:46 they are on a power play.
1-0 St. Louis.

Kevin

Breakaway
05-13-2019, 09:13 PM
Second period opened with a St.Louis goal, making it 2-0

San Jose came right back and scored.

2-1 Blues.

Kevin

Breakaway
05-13-2019, 09:17 PM
Bam! San Jose scored.

2-2

Logan Couture scored, his second tonight.

Kevin

Breakaway
05-13-2019, 09:40 PM
3-2 Blues end of 2nd

Breakaway
05-13-2019, 10:25 PM
Blues score.

3:30 to go in game

4-2 Blues.

Breakaway
05-13-2019, 10:34 PM
Blues win the game and carry the initiative into the next.

I don't know which of these teams I want to root for. They both play great.

In the east, I'm rooting for Carolina

Kevin

Flying Orca
05-14-2019, 07:07 AM
Glad to hear the Blues took it, I had to crash after the second Sharks goal. Looking forward to tonight's game!

Figment
05-14-2019, 07:32 AM
I only caught the 3rd period. It seemed rather.... uninspired.

chas
05-14-2019, 08:15 PM
Do you folks outside Canada get Don Cherry in the first intermission? Biased as to the Bruins but just said no way the Bruins will win tonight, because of Justin Williams intensity, and he knows the game. Boston just scored; do you think he is right? / Jim

Flying Orca
05-14-2019, 09:09 PM
It's going to be a wild third period, that's for sure. Might as well be game seven as far as the Hurricanes are concerned.

Chris Woodward
05-15-2019, 07:48 AM
The Bruins are just physically beating up the 'Canes.

They also seem to get away with a lot of stuff that Carolina gets called for on the retaliation.
Kinda like the Brady calls, must be a Boston thing.

Figment
05-15-2019, 07:58 AM
I must've watched a different game last night.

I saw the Canes kicking ass in the 1st, and Tukka getting lucky as hell. That could easily have been 3-0 or 4-0 going into second period.
Brindamour is kicking himself for not practicing 4-on-3 power play more (or ever), they really didn't use the extra space well at all.

Williams has become the Canes' problem instead of their solution.

Chris Woodward
05-15-2019, 08:09 AM
They lost the second and third periods.

Breakaway
05-15-2019, 08:42 AM
I must've watched a different game last night.

I saw the Canes kicking ass in the 1st, and Tukka getting lucky as hell. That could easily have been 3-0 or 4-0 going into second period.
Brindamour is kicking himself for not practicing 4-on-3 power play more (or ever), they really didn't use the extra space well at all.

Williams has become the Canes' problem instead of their solution.

I agree about Tukka, but, like the saying goes, " I'd rather be lucky than good!"

Kevin

Flying Orca
05-15-2019, 10:24 AM
You need good special teams to win the Cup. Carolina doesn't seem to have them. That, and Rask, made the difference last night.

Figment
05-16-2019, 07:51 AM
Handpass, absolutely. The blues got hosed.

A bad call on par with the non-called pass interference in the Saints-Rams game, and equally inexcusable that they didn't use the available technology to make the obvious correction.

If the play leading up to a gamewinning goal can be reviewed WRT offside/onside, or high-stick deflection, it can be reviewed for a handpass!

Flying Orca
05-16-2019, 08:29 AM
Handpass, absolutely. The blues got hosed.

I had to crash before the overtime started. Sorry to hear it went that way, I thought the Blues pretty much owned the game.

Flying Orca
05-19-2019, 04:55 PM
...and they certainly owned this one. San Jose just fell apart.

Mike J
05-19-2019, 05:39 PM
Man! That was a dominating performance by the Blues and the Sharks really imploded. I love watching hockey when a team works that hard.

Breakaway
06-09-2019, 08:39 PM
Wow! Serious goal tending!

Anyone watching the Bruins -Blues?

Its 1-0, Boston. Second period.

Kevin

chas
06-09-2019, 09:12 PM
I'm there with ya. Next goal wins? / Jim

Paul Girouard
06-09-2019, 09:32 PM
Bruins need to keep pressing!! Go BRUINS!

Paul Girouard
06-09-2019, 09:44 PM
Bruins protecting to much need to force play at the Blues

Paul Girouard
06-09-2019, 09:46 PM
YES!!

Paul Girouard
06-09-2019, 09:58 PM
Game 7 in Boston!!

Chris Woodward
06-10-2019, 05:02 AM
Boston has a relentless forecheck and stifling defense. St. Louis has no time or space.
Still they persist and keep grinding away. If they can get pucks through to Rask, they will score.
Go Blues!

Breakaway
06-10-2019, 06:13 AM
That was a great game.

bamamick
06-10-2019, 07:29 AM
A game seven finale in Boston. Could it get any better than that?

Mickey Lake

rbgarr
06-10-2019, 08:47 AM
Wish the final was in the old Garden (as long as the lights didn't black out). Raucous venue. Even when it was foggy inside!

https://www.nytimes.com/1988/05/26/sports/boston-blackout-brings-disbelief.html

Mike J
06-12-2019, 08:04 PM
Bennington!!!

I'm both happy and amazed it's the Blues up 2-0 at the first intermission.

Flying Orca
06-12-2019, 08:13 PM
Yeah, I'm loving this. If a team is going to beat the Jets, I want them to go all the way.

Breakaway
06-12-2019, 08:21 PM
Go, Blues!

Watching from an airplane tonight.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190613/e6de78b0cf4fb5505f43f895934fc26f.jpg

Kevin

chas
06-12-2019, 08:39 PM
Watch out for Marchand, he owes his team one. Game 7...sweet! / Jim

Flying Orca
06-12-2019, 08:40 PM
Has anyone ever won the Calder and the Conn Smythe in the same year? 'Cause Binnington looks good for both.

chas
06-12-2019, 08:45 PM
The goalie is always a wise choice; sometimes the losing goalie is the worthy recipient. I'd be looking close at the Blues captain for MVP also. Bur it ain't over yet!/ Jim

Flying Orca
06-12-2019, 08:51 PM
Yeah, Pietrangelo has been solid. So has O'Reilly, for that matter.

Not sure Rask has been any more impressive than Binnington.

Mike J
06-12-2019, 08:53 PM
Wow. Now for the scary part where the blues go into protection mode. I would much rather see them keep the pedal to the floor than rely on Bennington.

Flying Orca
06-12-2019, 09:02 PM
Ehhhh... they're being careful, but they'll take their chances as they come. Gonna be a long 20 minutes, though. They just better stay the hell out of the box - and you can bet Berube mentions THAT in the dressing room!

chas
06-12-2019, 09:09 PM
I've seen the 4th line Blues player turn back from a facewash; they are controlled! / Jim

Flying Orca
06-12-2019, 09:28 PM
Yeah, they have had discipline problems in a few games but tonight they are playing some of the tightest defensive hockey I've seen. That third goal should do it.

Mike J
06-12-2019, 09:33 PM
4-0!

Breakaway
06-12-2019, 09:38 PM
Its pretty much a done deal now.

Kevin