PDA

View Full Version : Death by selfie

CWSmith
04-16-2019, 06:09 PM
I saw it on the news, so I looked it up:

A 2018 study of news reports showed that between October 2011 to November 2017, there were 259 selfie deaths in 137 incidents reported globally, with the highest occurrences in India followed by Russia, United States, and Pakistan. The mean age was 22.94 years old with male deaths outnumbering female about three to one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_selfie-related_injuries_and_deaths

So the number isn't outrageous. More people died from lightning, but lightning doesn't bring out the needlessly stupid in quite the same way.

I remember when the Pope visited the USA and got out to shake hands with the people. Those dopes were turning their back to him to grab a selfie rather than establish eye contact and say "Hello"! I never could understand that.

WX
04-16-2019, 06:39 PM
Death by stupidity.

purri
04-16-2019, 07:20 PM
Selfie da fe?

Breakaway
04-16-2019, 07:46 PM
There was a bit on the tube recently regarding an uptick in selfie deaths at Grand Canyon that the National Park Service had reported.

Kevin

lupussonic
04-16-2019, 07:59 PM
Good. Let them die.

Just a thought.

L.W. Baxter
04-16-2019, 09:29 PM
Haven't committed any selfie-related stupidities, but I've done plenty oblivious, naive, unthinking, maybe even inebriated things that could have ended me, or worse yet, ended somebody I love.

So I don't judge, I empathize, keeping my head down and a prayer of thanks on my lips.

Ian McColgin
04-16-2019, 09:43 PM
I judge. I want my last words to be, "Here, hold my whisky and watch this." Not, "Close in and I'll take a selfie."

Even low standards must be maintained.

L.W. Baxter
04-16-2019, 09:47 PM
Even low standards must be maintained.

Fair point.

lupussonic
04-16-2019, 10:09 PM
Word.

bluedog225
04-16-2019, 10:37 PM
After hearing about all the Thailand tourist deaths, I googled tourist deaths in Portugal. The first page of returns was mostly selfie related.

David W Pratt
04-17-2019, 08:22 AM
Darwin?

CWSmith
04-17-2019, 08:47 AM
Haven't committed any selfie-related stupidities, but I've done plenty oblivious, naive, unthinking, maybe even inebriated things that could have ended me, or worse yet, ended somebody I love.

So I don't judge, I empathize, keeping my head down and a prayer of thanks on my lips.

I will admit that while I have lived a fairly normal life, I am surprised that we did not get injured more as kids. We did some stupid things that sounded like fun at the time.

However, I never hung over the railing at a 500 foot drop, hung out the door of a moving train, or tried to take my picture with a moose. I am still on good terms with Darwin.

Katherine
04-17-2019, 09:00 AM
Recently read about a woman at a zoo who got through the barrier around a Jaguar enclosure to take a selfie with the cat. She was rather surprised when it reached through the inner fence and grabbed her. Both cat and woman survived, but the stupidity displayed makes one wish the woman never reproduces!