PDA

View Full Version : In the Caribbean . . .

Rum_Pirate
04-15-2019, 12:10 PM
In the Caribbean, it seems that things do not last like the way they are purported to do 'up north'.

There is even a saying down here along the lines of "Regardless of what they say up north, it ain't gonna work here'.

This is possibly mainly due to the high salt content of the air.

Quickly learnt that 'stainless steel is not that, it is 'stain less' steel.

"Trouble free' - there is no such thing.

"Sealed for life" as in bearings etc - yes, if the 'life' is defined as a (very) short one.

Flying Orca
04-15-2019, 12:11 PM
The same general observation holds in the Arctic, though the mechanics vary.

Garret
04-15-2019, 12:12 PM
Those are all true everywhere.

Breakaway
04-15-2019, 01:23 PM
Stainless steel does stain less. It is not stain-free, and not named as such.

From your statement, I conclude that, while salt content may vary, reading comprehension is about on par with other environs. :)

Kevin

wizbang 13
04-15-2019, 03:24 PM
My boat is doin jusfine.

Phil Y
04-15-2019, 04:45 PM
Stainless steel does stain less. It is not stain-free, and not named as such.

From your statement, I conclude that, while salt content may vary, reading comprehension is about on par with other environs. :)

KevinThat's a bit silly. Less on the end of a word frequently means without. There are many examples although of course my mind fails to recall most of them right now. How about Peerless. Without peer. Useless. Without use. In the case of stainless steel it's a bit of a misdescription, particularly in a salt environment.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

mmd
04-15-2019, 04:48 PM
The amount less of stain is dependant upon the type of stainless. Type 316? Not too bad. Type 304? Well....

Ron Williamson
04-15-2019, 07:06 PM
Then y'all please explain the freaky, one-pull outboard (9.9 Tohatsu,IIRC) that we used for a week when we did a St Lucia charter,last November.

One pull,every time.

In the 30 years previous of using outboards, they NEVER cold start, on one pull,EVER.

A friend who goes there quite often, noticed the same thing.

Crazy voodoo sorcery.
R

Garret
04-15-2019, 07:09 PM
I have a friend with a now 10+ year old Tohatsu 9.9 that I heard curse because it took 2 pulls. "It never takes more than one pull!". I asked when it'd last had a tune-up & he replied "I think I changed the plug 5 years ago or so."

Breakaway
04-15-2019, 08:51 PM
That's a bit silly. Less on the end of a word frequently means without. There are many examples although of course my mind fails to recall most of them right now. How about Peerless. Without peer. Useless. Without use. In the case of stainless steel it's a bit of a misdescription, particularly in a salt environment.

You are correct about the adjective suffix, -less.

Nonetheless, stainless steel does, in fact, stain less. Maybe someone should give the metalurgist who developed it a dictionary. Ore, not.

Kevin

Garret
04-15-2019, 08:55 PM
You are correct about the adjective suffix, -less.

Nonetheless, stainless steel does, in fact, stain less. Maybe someone should give the metallurgist who developed it a dictionary. Ore, not.

Kevin

Where'd you steel that one from? ;)

Breakaway
04-15-2019, 08:57 PM
Where'd you steel that one from? ;)

Listen, you. We're just tryin to iron this out, ok?

Kevin

Hallam
04-15-2019, 11:42 PM
......pointless!

Henning 4148
04-16-2019, 02:33 AM
On stainless, there is a temperature influence on corrosion as well - and there is a material index pointing out which alloy will withstand which temperature.

But you are right - island conditions with high temperature, wind, sand, heat, UV-light, salt - it is not easy for machines. It is not only the salt it is also the others. Wind blowing fine sand everywhere, ...

Just found some information: The Index is probably the PREN and with higher temperature water, you need a higher PREN. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitting_resistance_equivalent_number

jsjpd1
04-16-2019, 02:44 AM
......pointless!

Well, it’s all pointless now. We’ve moved on to electronic ignition.

Phil Y
04-16-2019, 03:29 AM
Ferrous funny

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

David W Pratt
04-16-2019, 05:47 AM
When stainless flatware was introduced, it was popularly known as "the knife that couldn't cut"

Breakaway
04-16-2019, 06:17 AM

Excellent!

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Garret
04-16-2019, 06:18 AM

And a tip of the cap to you sir!