View Full Version : Cyclone rods

04-15-2019, 09:56 AM
I was looking at tie-down devices for my cabin and ran across cyclone rods. This appears to be an Australian term. It is a rod that extends from the foundation and through the bottom and top plates. It is intended to resist the uplift on the structure if wind pressure gets inside the building (I think).

Iíve run across hurricane straps around on the Gulf coast although I thought those were intended to run diagonally across walls but I have not heard of anything like a cyclone rod.

Are they used in the states? Maybe under a different name. Or just threaded rod?



Ian McColgin
04-15-2019, 10:24 AM
Chains atop Mt. Washington. For many years this spot had the highest surface wind speed, 231 mph, but in the late '90s a higher wind was recorded in a cyclone.


04-15-2019, 10:28 AM
Ha! That would be an interesting look.

04-15-2019, 10:30 AM
i have the whole Simpson catalog and they make so many different products for high wind applications. there's flat metal strapping between wood members, concrete anchors with threaded rod to go to the tops of the walls, rafter straps, truss seats, and on and on and on. basically, they have 100 ways to skin that cat. if that is something you're interested in doing, try looking at them. they're pretty much the industry standard and hey, they have a facility right there in McKinney TX

04-15-2019, 10:30 AM
Tom, perhaps similar in function to mobile / modular home tiedowns, which if I recall are flat steel strapping over the sbeathing, under the siding and are attached to anchors / piers to resist tornado or hurricane winds. It's been 20 years since I worked with them, memory gets fuzzy.

David W Pratt
04-15-2019, 10:54 AM
Mt Washington is holding on to highest wind speed recorded by a human being, right there. Other, higher speeds, were recorded remotely

04-15-2019, 10:57 AM
here's a link for the online catalog


there's a LOT to see in there. they'll have an application for anything you're trying to do. be it new construction or a retro fit.try looking in the "hold down and tension ties" and the "straps and ties" sections.

04-15-2019, 11:32 AM
Thanks all. It looks like Simpson has a bigger selection than I realized.