PDA

View Full Version : i can has telehandler?

L.W. Baxter
04-03-2019, 08:18 AM
back of envelope bidding a big spring project, $10k line item rent for the required telescopic boom all terrain forklift, it occurs to me, now that i have unlimited parking, i could just buy one and start keeping more moneys.

sure, i'd need a dump truck or such with a pintle hitch as well, but i can park all that stuff right over there.

i like a 3 ton capacity, 42' reach most of the time, but probably best to go big, 5 ton, 56 ft reach with outriggers...

David G
04-03-2019, 09:02 AM
Before I can determine whether this is a good idea or not... I need one additional bit of info --

Will it be available for loan? <G>

StevenBauer
04-03-2019, 09:04 AM
You could rent it out when you aren’t using it, too. How much are they?

David G
04-03-2019, 09:08 AM
You could rent it out when you aren’t using it, too. How much are they?

STOP that! <G>

Canoez
04-03-2019, 09:15 AM
back of envelope bidding a big spring project, $10k line item rent for the required telescopic boom all terrain forklift, it occurs to me, now that i have unlimited parking, i could just buy one and start keeping more moneys.

sure, i'd need a dump truck or such with a pintle hitch as well, but i can park all that stuff right over there.

i like a 3 ton capacity, 42' reach most of the time, but probably best to go big, 5 ton, 56 ft reach with outriggers...

Be cautious on the capacity/reach equation. More is better here. We've got a 5 ton forklift for most of our work and had a discussion a while back about upgrading to a telehandler so that we could avoid some expenses with having to have a crane service come in at $500 a pop.

Mostly, if you can get physically closer to the lift destinations, you can have more capacity.

George Jung
04-03-2019, 09:16 AM
$50,000 and up, used, on ebay! Good times!

Wadsworth
04-03-2019, 09:18 AM
Crowd-fund it!

David G
04-03-2019, 09:23 AM
Be cautious on the capacity/reach equation. More is better here. We've got a 5 ton forklift for most of our work and had a discussion a while back about upgrading to a telehandler so that we could avoid some expenses with having to have a crane service come in at $500 a pop.

Mostly, if you can get physically closer to the lift destinations, you can have more capacity.

Indeed. When I was leaving the construction site for the Austin Civic Convention Center, many years back... I watched a foreman, impatient that his operator had already left for lunch, hop on one and attempt to lift a unit of lumber OVER a CMU wall... instead of driving it around. It did not end well. He over-reached, the load plummeted, lumber was busted, and the telescoping arm was draped over that wall with a big kink in it. An expensive bit of 'hurry'.

Jim Mahan
04-03-2019, 09:58 AM
When I was the advertising marketing graphics guy at the tech company in Oregon in the nineties, I sold the idea to my boss the national marketing manager, and the company president to do, as part of a promo piece for the company, a photo shoot of our impressive facility with the twin water-treatment ponds with the fountain landscaped like a golf course out front, to include a wide shot of all hundred or so employees lined up in front. So I got permission to rent a lift, in order to get a good photographic vantage. The rich owner of the company was also a photo buff. He was a patent-holding tech guy and drove a different high end sports car or sedan each day of the week, like the motivational poster. We used his large format Hassleblad and gear for the product shots for the company lit and the product marketing stuff.

The photo shoot was after the monthly company meeting and the announcement of the employee of the month award, and we all filed out of the cafeteria and out on the lawn in front of Lew's office and the reception area. We set the boom lift up across the pond on the shoulder of the access road. I took took twenty minutes or so to and got a bunch of film from a couple of different angles. The employee of the month and the company meeting always happened right before the morning break, so when I let them know I was done taking pictures and they could get on with their break, everyone either split to the break area for their smoke or went back inside for the coffee, and I started working the controls to come back down the last time, the damn thing hiccupped and stalled, and then wouldn't start again, and I was stranded in the little swaying box some twenty feet above the ground for an hour before the crew from the rental place in town came and rescued me. Too far to jump or hang and drop, and nothing to do for an hour but play with myse... the camera. I got some good shots. The place was really picturesque. You can see it just off interstate five, north of Grants Pass. They stocked the ponds, too, and the company sponsored an annual employee and family picnic and fishing competition.

A fond memory of that time was one day leaving for lunch in my Miata, with the top down of course, just as I came around the building to the front and past the pond, an osprey flew into view from the beyond the trees, went right over my head and took up a fishing station hovering over the water not thirty feet away. I slowed to watch and he dived, caught a fish, and then flew away in front of me, with the fish clutched in both claws, flapping it's tail.

L.W. Baxter
04-03-2019, 10:13 AM
not to worry, folks, i've already made most of the telehandler-related mistakes. victory is assured.

Canoez
04-03-2019, 10:14 AM
not to worry, folks, i've already made most of the telehandler-related mistakes. victory is assured.

.:d.

ron ll
04-03-2019, 10:19 AM
I don't know much about these machines or your company, but I am trying very hard to figure out the thread title. Even if I allow for autocorrect spelling, I cannot puzzle it out. Is is spelled right? Is it what you meant to say and I just don't understand the lingo?

L.W. Baxter
04-03-2019, 10:23 AM
tired internet meme....

Old Dryfoot
04-03-2019, 10:30 AM
3 machines in 1.
Telehandler
Boom Lift
Crane

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4198/35014269942_6e1b3644e4_b.jpg

I've used one and they are fantastic!

L.W. Baxter
04-03-2019, 10:37 AM
looks like it has to pee

ron ll
04-03-2019, 10:41 AM
tired internet meme....

Ah. Thanks. Like, All your bases are belong to us.

amish rob
04-03-2019, 10:43 AM
looks like it has to pee
Don't DO that to me!

Peace,
Robert

Garret
04-03-2019, 10:47 AM
looks like it has to pee

Ha! It does, doesn't it? I bet the X'd outriggers add stability though.

Looks like a cool machine.

Old Dryfoot
04-03-2019, 10:50 AM
looks like it has to pee

Have you seen the inside of that port-a-potty? I'd wait too.

Old Dryfoot
04-03-2019, 10:56 AM
Ha! It does, doesn't it? I bet the X'd outriggers add stability though.

Looks like a cool machine.

They all sway, some less than others, but for the unaccustomed, that is little comfort. I had to take a rookie up with me in one of these, I thought that he was going to pee himself.

https://www.jlg.com/-/media/jlg/current-materials-no-password/products/americas%20-%20ansi/electric%20and%20hybrid%20boom%20lifts/compact-crawler-booms/x430aj/390x540-x430aj-silo.jpg?w=100

Wicked little machines, folded up they will fit through a standard door. 60' x 30' reach.

https://acceslocation.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/nacelle-articulee-jlg-X600AJ-app-door.jpg

amish rob
04-03-2019, 11:14 AM
Have you seen the inside of that port-a-potty? I'd wait too.
You just haven't lived until you have to get that last minute, pre-swim pee out in an port-o-let at an Ironman event. Wear your sandals!

This means something...

Peace,
Yeah, I Know. :)

John B
04-03-2019, 02:59 PM
They all sway, some less than others, but for the unaccustomed, that is little comfort. I had to take a rookie up with me in one of these, I thought that he was going to pee himself.

https://www.jlg.com/-/media/jlg/current-materials-no-password/products/americas%20-%20ansi/electric%20and%20hybrid%20boom%20lifts/compact-crawler-booms/x430aj/390x540-x430aj-silo.jpg?w=100

Wicked little machines, folded up they will fit through a standard door. 60' x 30' reach.

https://acceslocation.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/nacelle-articulee-jlg-X600AJ-app-door.jpg
I went up the foremast of Aquijo in a little cage like that top unit last year. The mast is about 90 metres and I went up to about the inner forestay...70 metres?
Interesting, more interesting when I noticed the lifting was a couple of 10 or 12mm lines doing the work, dyneema or similar of course.

S/V Laura Ellen
04-03-2019, 05:45 PM

If that is the case, you aren't trying hard enough.

J P
04-03-2019, 07:16 PM
but probably best to go big

I've been noticing more compact telehandlers around and they sure look handy, especially the ones with tool-carrier booms that can take skid steer type attachments. Unless you regularly need the higher capacity of a heavy machine, a compact seems like it'd be more versatile and get used more on a residential or light commercial construction site, and on a farm. Transport with just a pickup truck and trailer.

There are radio remote controlled ones too.

https://cdn.forconstructionpros.com/files/base/acbm/fcp/image/2007/06/960w/radioremotecontrolboomcontrolfortelehandlers_10084 262.jpg

CK 17
04-03-2019, 07:40 PM
One of the freakiest things I’ve ever seen from the jet. De-ice trucks driving around the aircraft with no one in the drivers seat of the cab. The boom operators do it all now.