PDA

View Full Version : oxy acetylene or angle grinder

L.W. Baxter
04-02-2019, 02:15 PM
if you had just been informed that the deq requires you to remove, destroy, and submit paperwork for the 300lb(?) 1/4" plate shop woodstove before closing home sale (why didn't you know this mr. real estate agent, so I could remove it before listing without the needless destruction?) what tool would you use to cut it into pieces?

amish rob
04-02-2019, 02:17 PM
Oh, Baby! I've been wanting a real need...

Peace,
Torch, All The Way

Bobby of Tulsa
04-02-2019, 02:21 PM
I assume this is going to be done outside on the ground, if so and you own a torch that is the way I would go.

AlanMc
04-02-2019, 02:24 PM
trick question. the real answer is plasma torch

Steve McMahon
04-02-2019, 02:29 PM
What is a deq? Why not give it away free for the taking?

SKIP KILPATRICK
04-02-2019, 02:33 PM
DEQ is The Department of Environmenal Quality.

L.W. Baxter
04-02-2019, 02:34 PM
Department of Environmental Quality.

We have a recent law in Oregon that any uncertified woodstove must be destroyed during a home sale. I think ordinarily, agents inform clients to get the woodstove out if they want to keep it or sell it out of state.

I guess my agent thought maybe it could stay in the shop, being a detached building, and lacking experience with wood heated shops. In retrospect, he really should have known. Bah!

hawkeye54
04-02-2019, 02:35 PM
Paperwork requirement seems to indicate a government agency - possibly the local equivalent of EPA (?) --- just my guess

Cross post with Skip and LW

AlanMc
04-02-2019, 02:37 PM
that sux LW. just weld the door shut and call it a desk.:d

TomF
04-02-2019, 02:37 PM
...I guess my agent thought maybe it could stay in the shop, being a detached building, and lacking experience with wood heated shops. In retrospect, he really should have known. Bah!Transmogrifier for the win. First applied to the woodstove, then the agent.

Steve McMahon
04-02-2019, 02:38 PM

We have a recent law in Oregon that any uncertified woodstove must be destroyed during a home sale. I think ordinarily, agents inform clients to get the woodstove out if they want to keep it or sell it out of state.

I guess my agent thought maybe it could stay in the shop, being a detached building, and lacking experience with wood heated shops. In retrospect, he really should have known. Bah!

I see. Yes, too bad the RE agent didn't inform you sooner.

LeeG
04-02-2019, 02:59 PM
You sure it can’t be dissasembled? My daughter had a 300lb stove she was getting rid of and I said there’s no way we’re moving 300lbs and sure enough it was assembled in a dozen pieces and that’s how we took it out.

robm
04-02-2019, 02:59 PM
I suspect it has to be destroyed to satisfy the DEQ.

Steve McMahon
04-02-2019, 03:06 PM
If it has to be destroyed then definitely torches or a plasma cutter. Maybe a local welding shop that has a mobile truck would do it for very little for the scrap?

jpatrick
04-02-2019, 03:11 PM
An angle grinder would not be a first choice. Torch, plasma if you've got it. Or the proper circular saw fitted with the appropriate carbide blade. Or, a big tractor, loader, backhoe..... that could smash it flat. Perhaps the recycle yard will have one.

Jeff

L.W. Baxter
04-02-2019, 03:13 PM
They want multiple holes cut in it, at least. And a receipt from a scrap metal buyer or some-such.

Will cut it into pieces so I can load it myself. Maybe right in half like Solomon.

L.W. Baxter
04-02-2019, 03:16 PM
Turns out the torch is fully charged and good to go.

Just practiced on this old, bent grain augur what needs to go to the scrapper. Now it fits.

David G
04-02-2019, 03:19 PM
Transmogrifier for the win. First applied to the woodstove, then the agent.

Wellllll.... DUH.

Lee's usually smarter than this <G>

David W Pratt
04-02-2019, 03:19 PM
What about a Sharpie and label it "cabinet" or some such?
Paint it lilac and call it a table?
Take off the chimney and put a plant in it?
Is it possible to get it certified?
What is the rationale for this?

robm
04-02-2019, 03:21 PM
The point is to reduce air pollution due to wood smoke. Certified stoves pollute less, in theory.

David G
04-02-2019, 03:23 PM
What about a Sharpie and label it "cabinet" or some such?
Paint it lilac and call it a table?
Take off the chimney and put a plant in it?
Is it possible to get it certified?
What is the rationale for this?

No
No
No
Not likely
Trying to eliminate older woodstoves that contribute a disproportionate amount of particulates and such to the airshed. The Willamette Valley is prone to 'inversions' which trap all that guck for a while and multiply the air quality issues. And eliminate them in a measured, slow, least-intrusive way... as a house changes hands.

Garret
04-02-2019, 03:26 PM

^ This. Or maybe a planter.

There's probably some guy out in the boonies who'd love it.

Living with a Realtor, (Realtor is trademarked & requires far more edumication to maintain than just being a real estate agent) - I can tell you that a good one would've known this & told you to move it. In fact, she just got back from buying 3 smoke detectors (that she'll install) & a fire extinguisher to make a seller's condo "legal".

Oh - torches definitely! Make sure you're in shorts & don't wear eye protection - or is it the other way 'round?

Phil Y
04-02-2019, 04:32 PM
Wood stove sir? Ain't no wood stove in this shop. This here is a wood safe. It's where I keep small bits of wood that might come in handy one day. That tube on top is for ventilation so it doesn't rot. Price of wood these days, just crazy.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

oznabrag
04-02-2019, 04:40 PM

Get it to the street and walk away.

When you get back, it'll be gone.

That, or pay someone to leave it in your Realtor's driveway.

:D

Nice!

^ This. Or maybe a planter.

There's probably some guy out in the boonies who'd love it.

Living with a Realtor, (Realtor is trademarked & requires far more edumication to maintain than just being a real estate agent) - I can tell you that a good one would've known this & told you to move it. In fact, she just got back from buying 3 smoke detectors (that she'll install) & a fire extinguisher to make a seller's condo "legal".

Oh - torches definitely! Make sure you're in shorts & don't wear eye protection - or is it the other way 'round?

Make sure you're in eye protection, and don't wear shorts.

Hmmmmm . . .

Garret
04-02-2019, 04:53 PM
Make sure you're in eye protection, and don't wear shorts.

Hmmmmm . . .

See? I did have it bassackwards - thanks for straightening me out.

ETA - I forgot to mention that you should never wear gloves either. Only wimps need 'em to pick up red hot metal.

Canoeyawl
04-02-2019, 05:10 PM
Around here there are serious dollar "incentives" available to those who wish to upgrade their stoves.
Perhaps the new owner is interested?

Chris Smith porter maine
04-02-2019, 05:20 PM
If it's steel I would cut it up with a tourch, if you find some cast bits a sledgehammer is your friend.

Ron Williamson
04-02-2019, 06:22 PM
I have a 7" grinder with a zip cut wheel that would make pretty quick work of it,but the torches would be more fun.
Take the doors off and the firebrick out before you even try to move it.
A fridge dolly with a bit of plywood to span the legs,and a rachet strap,will get it outside.
R

Dave Hadfield
04-02-2019, 06:24 PM
Use a welder, but make a gun-safe out of it. Or some other kind of strong-box.

oznabrag
04-02-2019, 06:41 PM
Use a welder, but make a gun-safe out of it. Or some other kind of strong-box.

Depression-era parents?

LeeG
04-02-2019, 09:00 PM
how about liquid nitrogen and a sledge hammer?

Garret
04-02-2019, 09:01 PM
how about liquid nitrogen and a sledge hammer?

I like that idea!

C.Collins
04-02-2019, 09:38 PM
Do you have the option to sell it to someone out of the air quality area subject to these restrictions? For instance in another state that does not regulate these stoves?

L.W. Baxter
04-02-2019, 09:57 PM
Do you have the option to sell it to someone out of the air quality area subject to these restrictions? For instance in another state that does not regulate these stoves?

Might have had it not become public record in the real estate transaction. Now there's nowhere to go but the scrappers.

oznabrag
04-02-2019, 10:05 PM
Might have had it not become public record in the real estate transaction. Now there's nowhere to go but the scrappers.

I guess it's a reflection on scrap prices, but I put a mattress on the curb one morning and by second breakfast that thing had been stripped of it's springs like a seal carcass in Arctic waters after the sharks get done stripping the fat off'em.

I clocked them boys at 1:37, brake to leave.

David G
04-02-2019, 10:50 PM
I'm kinda liking the 'leave it on the feckless agent's front lawn'...

gypsie
04-02-2019, 10:56 PM
tr......plasma torch

A mate has a plasma torch - SO MUCH FUN!!

Paul Pless
04-03-2019, 06:13 AM
how high is the bucket lift on that new tractor of yours? :D

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
04-03-2019, 06:38 AM

Once it's been to the scrapyard, can you buy it back?

Dave Hadfield
04-03-2019, 11:00 AM
Depression-era parents?

You bet.

I find this whole Regulation extremely intrusive and irritating, but I don't live in an area of inversions. It's windy here.

Steve McMahon
04-03-2019, 11:04 AM
You bet.

I find this whole Regulation extremely intrusive and irritating, but I don't live in an area of inversions. It's windy here.

Indeed, one of the nice things about Newfoundland is the government is too broke to put in a lot of regulations. Thermal inversions are not typically a problem here, nor is lack of wind. Outside of the Cities and a few large towns there isn't even any building inspections or enforcement of building codes with the exception of septic systems.

oznabrag
04-03-2019, 11:16 AM
http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by oznabrag http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?p=5857475#post5857475)
Depression-era parents?

You bet.

Use it up
Wear it out
Make it do
Or do without

Garret
04-03-2019, 11:39 AM
I get that air pollution is a real issue. The Oregon law seems awfully draconian though - as well as hypocritical. But then, many of our laws & regulations are.

mdh
04-03-2019, 12:21 PM
You should use your battery powered reciprocating saw and pretend you’re sawing through the border fence.

Paul Pless
04-03-2019, 12:40 PM
assuming ell double u is a better shot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WkDzxb3i5M

Old Dryfoot
04-03-2019, 12:53 PM
^ Quickly now, to the stump pulling thread!

LeeG
04-03-2019, 02:38 PM
I get that air pollution is a real issue. The Oregon law seems awfully draconian though - as well as hypocritical. But then, many of our laws & regulations are.

When more and more people fill up a valley you have to look at every source of pollution. A few percent here and there of small polluters might be cheaper to cut than large polluters who are already going through 100’s millions in product changes.

L.W. Baxter
04-03-2019, 05:53 PM
I don't resent the law. I understand the intention.

The urban/rural divide is very sharply drawn here in Oregon, and we get a lot of urban answers that don't make sense statewide. Even as a dedicated Democrat I am frequently frustrated by the imperfections and frankly incompetent administrations in our progressive state and metro governments.

Can't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

So be it.

In the end, I didnt do much cutting, because, as it turns out, I was actually low on gas. A guy who can't read the dial on both tanks probably shouldn't be running a torch anyway. So I heaved it aboard and to the scrappers we went.

Got in trouble from the guy on the skiploader for taking this picture, strictly prohibited, how would I know that? Taking pictures of scrap metal must be a tweeker thing.

Paul Pless
04-03-2019, 06:01 PM
will farmer baxter become a republican?

Paul Pless
04-03-2019, 06:02 PM
libertarian??

C.Collins
04-03-2019, 06:02 PM
So how about those older polluting cars? Lets say pre 1970.
Maybe the nanny state should make the residents scrap them when they want to buy a newer car.

Paul Pless
04-03-2019, 06:03 PM
teabagger???

L.W. Baxter
04-03-2019, 06:15 PM
will farmer baxter become a republican?

Been a construction contractor for 22 years, paid taxes through the nose (probably $50k+ to Trimet alone, so that the Intel people can get free transit passes) been subject to onerous osha fines and condescension from public servants, competed with crews of undocumented workers being cashed out by crooks committing insurance and tax fraud as a way of life, and have not succumbed to greed, resentment, and self pity. Not even close.

I think not.

LeeG
04-03-2019, 06:15 PM
So how about those older polluting cars? Lets say pre 1970.
Maybe the nanny state should make the residents scrap them when they want to buy a newer car.

So what about....