PDA

View Full Version : C & P -Age 'test'- do you remember these things?

rbgarr
12-23-2005, 11:34 AM
This was forwarded to me by my older (than 60) brother:

"MEMORIES from a friend:

My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to "sprinkle" clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.

How many do you remember?

Head lights dimmer switches on the floor.
Ignition switches on the dashboard.
Heaters mounted on the inside of the fire wall.
Real ice boxes.
Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.
Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.
Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.

Older Than Dirt Quiz: Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about Ratings at the bottom.

1. Blackjack chewing gum
2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
3. Candy cigarettes
4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
5. Coffee shops or diners with tableside juke boxes
6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
7. Party lines
8. Newsreels before the movie
9. P.F. Flyers
10 Butch wax
11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (OLive-6933)
12. Peashooters
13. Howdy Doody
14. 45 RPM records
15. S&H Green Stamps
16 Hi-fi's
17. Metal ice trays with lever
18. Mimeograph paper< BR>19 Blue flashbulb
20. Packards
21. Roller skate keys
22.Corkpopguns
23. Drive-ins
24. Studebakers
25. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-5 = You're still young
If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older
If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age,
If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than dirt!"

Rick Tyler
12-23-2005, 11:39 AM
25 out of 25 -- but most when I was a little kid. Even though some ads still had words-and-numbers for phone numbers, we were direct-dialing when I was a lad. My grandmother still had a wringer washer, but my mom's was modern. As for everything else, I'm only 49 but I remember them all (even if Howdy Doody and Lucy were only in reruns).

J. Dillon
12-23-2005, 11:41 AM
I remember all of the above. How about horse drawn milk deliveries and junk wagons. How about "war cards" ?Beer in wooden kegs being rolled off the truck ? Dixe cups with movie stars on the inside of the lids ?

JD :D

Bruce Hooke
12-23-2005, 11:44 AM
Heck, there's still a wringer next to the washroom sink in what used to be my grandparents house, and I think I still have my pant leg clips for bicycling. I'd still use them too except that I made better ones out of webbing and velcro.

That said, I scored 7 on the quiz...

capt jake
12-23-2005, 11:44 AM
17, I guess I am just a little dirty then. ;)

Good list, brings back a lot of memories. Pea shooters! smile.gif

Dan McCosh
12-23-2005, 11:46 AM
All 25, plus the prelude. I think this was posted once before.

Dan McCosh
12-23-2005, 11:47 AM
I would add woodburning kitchen stoves (Grandmother's in Chicago, circa 1952), and coal-stoked furnaces.

Lew Barrett
12-23-2005, 11:47 AM
I remember it all, including the fact that we had a Studebaker (not me personally; my mother's) and the wonderful taste of a cold bottle of coke sipped from a bottle.
Having the facility to remember this stuff in context proves I'm not "that" old though. If you lived through the era of these things and didn't remember them, well now, that's the definition of old......

Bruce Hooke
12-23-2005, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Dan McCosh:
I would add woodburning kitchen stoves...Heck, I'm still under 40 (for a few more months) and I've cooked on a wood burning kitchen stove many times...

Dan McCosh
12-23-2005, 11:50 AM
Some of this stuff gets recycled. We were opening an old trunk found in the basement of a house we bought about 1968, and found it full of tie-dyed tee shirts, apparently a fad in the 1930s.

Hal Forsen
12-23-2005, 11:51 AM
Holey Krap! I ain't yet hit 50 and I remember all of that stuff. I guess that makes me an old phart already. Yikes.
I think I need some geritol and and prune juice :D
HF

George.
12-23-2005, 12:19 PM
Real ice boxes.
What? I just built one last year!

Dave Fleming
12-23-2005, 12:22 PM
Milk bottles with the little bulb like top to catch the cream rising out of the unhomogonized milk.

Iron Fire Man "semi automatic" coal stokers for the furnace.

Sheepskin Coat for winter with snow pants to play in. Coat wasn't really sheep skin just the collar.

Chain driven coal trucks.

Victory Gardens.

Corduroy Knickers/plus fours.

Buster Brown Shoe Stores.

William Blake as Little Beaver.
Who played Red Ryder?

Sawdust on the floor of the butcher shop.

Sprinkling water from a tin can on your sled runners so it would turn to ice and give you that edge over the nasty kid from across the street. ;)

Blackout Wardens

Packards? How about a Hudson with Electo-Shift?

[ 12-23-2005, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: Dave Fleming ]

Fitz
12-23-2005, 12:27 PM
My kids got some of these at a christmas party last week:

"2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water"

My wife thought I was crazy when I told her you are suppose to chew the wax. :rolleyes:

Candy cigarettes are probably not PC, huh?

I think I scored 17 or better. I'm 42.

Gary E
12-23-2005, 12:27 PM
All of them...

How about a newfangled lectric toaster that had the doors on the side that tilted out so you could put the bread in there. Then ya had to open it and turn the bread so it would toast on the other side...

There wuz NO timer...

Hal Forsen
12-23-2005, 12:57 PM
The Helms bakery truck.An old SoCal institution.
The HELMSMAN came every day but Sunday IIRC
I can still remember the great smell. Best glazed doughnuts ever.
http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/misc_georgia/june2003/divco_underground.jpg

HF

Dave Fleming
12-23-2005, 01:00 PM
Cuno-car(?) the bookkeepers who drove around in those little Green-Red with Gold Leaf trim vans. Did the bookkeeping for small shops and some of the yards.

Rick Tyler
12-23-2005, 01:08 PM
Helm's donuts ... mmmm smile.gif

My wife dated a guy (before we were married, smart aleck) who drived a retired Helm's truck. It had a potted cactus on the dash board.

Meerkat
12-23-2005, 02:00 PM
Is "drived" a word? ;)

uncas
12-23-2005, 03:48 PM
I'm older than I thought...we had a party line with eight farmers' wives...never got on the telephone until 8pm.
Forgot gas at $00.14...and stamps at $.08, bubblegum in sheets with baseball cards...
TV programs...Rin Tin Tin...Clutch Cargo...
Ramblers with shift buttons on the dash board...
manual windschield wipers....
So....24 outta 25...didn't know #1

ps...our tel. # was 44

[ 12-23-2005, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: uncas ]

Dan McCosh
12-23-2005, 03:52 PM
Some stuff that shouldn't come back:

Unshielded X-ray machines to check if a kid's shoes fit.

Breaking open mercury thermometers to play with the stuff, and coat pennies.

Using powdered asbestos and water for modeling clay.

Making model rockets out of match heads and empty CO2 cartridges.

Playing on railroad tracks, putting your ear on the track to see if the train is coming.

Filling balloons with propane, lighting a fuse, and letting them blow across to the neighbor's house, where they exploded.

All this before the Darwin awards.

Rick Tyler
12-23-2005, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Meerkat:
Is "drived" a word? ;) I always suspected that you and Donn were just two manifestations of someone with multiple personality disorder...

rbgarr
12-23-2005, 05:24 PM
The butcher shop where they had real butcher paper on a big roll with a cut-off blade and a ball of twine mounted in a cast iron cage on the wall. The twine ran through eyelets up the wall along the ceiling and down to the scale where it could be cutoff and used for wrapping the meats.

Sitting in the footwell of my babysitter's Studebaker and playing with the fold-out side air scoops.

The toy store that had a Lionel train display set out during the days before Christmas which we could actually play with.

Plowing snow way past my bedtime in the WWII surplus open-sided Jeep my Dad had. My job was to operate the manual windshield wipers while he tried to keep that little four-wheeler on the poorly marked road.

Hal Forsen
12-23-2005, 05:48 PM
When I was growin' up SoCal was pretty great. Besides the Helmsman in my LA suburb'hood; our ice cream man drove a pony cart, there was a mink ranch right up the street and Japanese veggie farms surrounded the tracts.The elementary school had a nice little paddock with stock that was rotated in and out by local farmers and we would all be called out of class to watch chicks pokin' out of shells or lambs and piglets being born.
HF

huisjen
12-23-2005, 06:20 PM
Heaters mounted on the inside of the fire wall -- In my '71 Datsun.

Real ice boxes -- saw one at a garage sale this summer.

Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards. -- I'd tuck my pant leg into my sock.

Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner. -- Metal shop class at Cornell, somewhere around '86.

4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles -- At my house at Cornell, in '87. I was the spoil sport who had the job of stocking it, and with the drinking age going up, decided it wasn't my job to stock it with cheap beer. IIRC, Tuborg was the only beer cheap enough and the only bottle that fit properly.

5. Coffee shops or diners with tableside juke boxes. -- Somewhere around '85.

6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers -- Somewhere around '80.

7. Party lines -- '86, Heath MA.

14. 45 RPM records -- I just looked. Katey has some, including Billy Idol, Madonna, and David Lee Roth. But I take no responsibility for any of that.

15. S&H Green Stamps -- Sometime around '80.

All told, I have direct memories of at least 14 of these items.

Dan

Tom W.
12-23-2005, 07:02 PM
Who remembers going to the airport and walking right out to the gate, indeed the airplane, without encountering any security screeners?

Bias ply tires?

Oil bath air filters?

Dental work without novicane?

Dave Fleming
12-23-2005, 07:05 PM
Who remembers going to the airport and walking right out to the gate, indeed the airplane, without encountering any security screeners?
Ayup at LaGuardia or Newark

Bias ply tires?
49 Caddy

Oil bath air filters?
Same

Dental work without novicane?
Just that swabbed on stuff that tasted of Cloves, yech and OUCH!

paladin
12-23-2005, 07:17 PM
It was bobby Blake as little beaver and Red Bannon as red Ryder.....otherwise I got 'em all.....

Meerkat
12-23-2005, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Rick Tyler:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Meerkat:
Is "drived" a word? ;) I always suspected that you and Donn were just two manifestations of someone with multiple personality disorder...</font>[/QUOTE]Nah, but Donn is driven - I just amble along! ;)

Hal Forsen
12-23-2005, 07:29 PM
Clutch Cargo and his pals Spinner and Paddlefoot!! Now that takes me back boy....

http://tulsatvmemories.com/imag2005/clutchbg.jpg
:D :D
HF

Meerkat
12-23-2005, 07:30 PM
Anyone remember "Bold Journey?" Mid-50's.

stinkydog
12-23-2005, 07:58 PM
Real ice boxes.
Yep, have one of those in my whatchamacallit... you know that thing that floats in the water and waits for money to be thrown at it... (although she's on the hard now)...

Robbie
12-23-2005, 08:43 PM
Hi
Try explaining to an International Operator that your phone No is 5....at town ....they had to phone back to check before accepting I was'nt pulling their chain.....
Robbie :(

ssor
12-23-2005, 08:49 PM
My first car was a '47 Hudson commodore six, I milked cows by hand, We had an outhouse until I was eight, I remember when cigarettes were .23 and the machines took a quarter so the cigarette makers packed two pennies in each pack for change. Coke was .05 in six ounce bottles. Pepsi advertised," two full glass that's a lot , twice as much for a nickel too, Pepsi-Cola is the drink for you". I drove a Studebaker from South Carolina to Oregon and back in 1962-63. We could buy fireworks for the forth of July.