PDA

View Full Version : officially unemployed

RichKrough
01-17-2006, 02:30 PM
As of noon today my partner and I officially disolved our partnership and his son bought out my interest in our millwork business. I am very happy to have the freedom to pursue other interests. But it is going to feel weird not going into that drafty old shop every morning. Harve and I have been best friends and partners longer than our marriages and before our kids were born.

gonna miss it

uncas
01-17-2006, 02:32 PM
Congrats......enjoy...and I hope your kids were born after your marriages.... :D

Chris Coose
01-17-2006, 02:50 PM
Great Rick. I love these stories. What's next?
Do you have some room (time) to move?

Phil Heffernan
01-17-2006, 03:10 PM
So nice to hear about partners leaving as friends, rather than the usual alternative...

RichKrough
01-17-2006, 06:20 PM
Parting on good terms is how we always hoped it would end.
It was great time. We started out as two young hippies with a pair of old pick up trucks, now we end as two old hippies with new pickup trucks.

We had planned to desolve over a year ago, much of our business has been coming from the southern states for the past couple of years. The cost of doing business in NY has gone up a lot. Harve wanted to move south. I want to stay here for now, my wife also has her career here.

Harve bought a abandoned dairy farm near Appomattox VA last year. His son renovated the old dairy bar into a modern 6000 sqft shop.

The shop equipment was moved the week after New Years. When we met at the old shop today there is just a couple pieces of old equipment that is left. It looked as it did when we started......

So my first order of business now that I am no longer in the millwork business is to finish the millwork on my own house. :D I have created a lot of millwork in the last 20 odd years,but my own house is trimmed in vinyl and has plain colonial casing inside.

I had been doing some consulting work for a few years, I have an offer from a firm that wants me on their payroll. I am thinking seriously about taking it. It would be nice not to be the boss for awhile.

[ 01-17-2006, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: RichKrough ]

jack grebe
01-17-2006, 06:31 PM
nah, get an old bus, convert it to a motorhome, and see the country......I got an empty space next to me in fl :D

Phil Heffernan
01-17-2006, 06:41 PM
You definitely aren't in the 'Retirement' age bracket, Rich, work keeps us young(er)...Try out the employee gig for awhile, you may like it, but it's hard going back to 'being managed' after you have been the manager for so many years...Any new gig should take that into consideration...

I too think you should celebrate the ending of such a big period in your life, but I presume your SO might not have the flexibility that you now have...Maybe she could take a sabbatical for a month or so, and you could re-visit the Hippie Holy Grail: 'THE ROAD TRIP' :cool:

Donn
01-17-2006, 06:56 PM
I've been retired for some time now, and I've learned it doesn't equal the absence of work.

RichKrough
01-17-2006, 11:16 PM
I am too young and restless to retire(49). I plan on working at least another 6-7 years till my wife retires. I am just not going to work 60-80 hour weeks any longer.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
01-17-2006, 11:18 PM
Good for you Rich... wish I could do the same ;)

Phil Heffernan
01-18-2006, 12:17 AM
I've been retired for some time now, and I've learned it doesn't equal the absence of work True enough. Earning ones daily bread gets to be old after awhile (30 or 40 years, for most)...I mean, the poetic life I could lead, if only money were no object ;) ...

Still, there is something gratifying about the eternal struggle: "You have a need. I have a skill. You have money...Let's trade.." It keeps one on his toes, and though it does become harder as the years accumulate, it still is the nuts & bolts of life...Make the most of it...

Phil

uncas
01-18-2006, 07:11 AM
Phil...you're not retired...you are into politics now...for life!!!!! tongue.gif