PDA

View Full Version : A 31 year old treaty abrogated…. What now?

skuthorp
02-02-2019, 02:47 AM
"President Donald Trump revealed Saturday the United States intends to withdraw from a 31-year-old nuclear weapons agreement with Russia, delivering a severe blow to the arms control regime that helped preserve peace since the Cold War.“We’re going to terminate the agreement and we’re going to pull out,” Trump told reporters after a rally in Elko, Nevada, without indicating what the next steps might be.
The Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty (https://www.state.gov/t/avc/trty/102360.htm), first signed by President Ronald Reagan and Soviet Union leader Mikhail Gorbachev in December 1987, was the first and only nuclear arms control agreement that ever eliminated an entire class of nuclear weapons. The treaty forced the superpowers to scrap more than 2,600 missiles (http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,966643,00.html) with ranges 310 to 3,420 miles — weapons considered destabilizing to the European continent because of their capability to launch a nuclear strike from anywhere without early warning."

I'm not completely surprised, the only question I have is is this a considered position, or one of donalds…ideas?

http://time.com/5430388/donald-trump-nuclear-weapons-treaty-inf-withdrawal/

epoxyboy
02-02-2019, 04:15 AM
Given Putin's tactic of deny, deny, deny, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they weren't in violation of the treaty terms. Add to that the number of non signatories to the treaty, who in all likelihood have missiles and nukes that fit the banned categories ie China, probably India, Israel, yadda, yadda, yadda, the value of the thing now is probably much less significant than it was.
Of course, the more creative solution would have been to get those other countries on board.
Maybe I'm cynical, but seriously, if the US couldn't program an ICBM to "only" go 500 to 5000km, I'd be stunned and amazed. Likewise, if they couldn't find something in their nuclear weapons arsenal, that didn't miraculously bolt straight onto a Tomahawk cruise missile.....
Gee whiz Hank, look at that - those mounting brackets are identical, strange that nobody ever noticed!

I don't think we are substantially worse off without this treaty, just a bit more honest. Maybe it was of value back when it was signed, but even there I have my doubts. Shades of Trumps North Korea deal. YMMV.

Pete

birlinn
02-02-2019, 05:54 AM
A day later, Russia suspends the treaty.
Now I wonder- was that the plot all along, and Vlad got his little orange pal to make the first move?

Art Haberland
02-02-2019, 08:08 AM
meanwhile all his sycophants are screaming "Hell ya! 'Merica!"

Nicholas Scheuer
02-02-2019, 08:20 AM
It's one of POSPOTUS' fu ideas. I'm almost done reading FEAR. It's all there; standard behavior..

S.V. Airlie
02-02-2019, 08:36 AM
Putin is starting up a new program that does go against the treaty he's just rejected. Way ta go Trump, you got your wish.

Paul Pless
02-02-2019, 08:44 AM
Tear it down. Tear it all down.

(‘course Obama started the process. . .)

Rich Jones
02-02-2019, 08:50 AM
I've read that Russia has been in blatant violation of this treaty for years, but rather then confront Putin and try to work things out, Trump just tears up the treaty. Why? Because Trump wants to build more nukes and has publicly said so.. When told that he couldn't because of the treaty, he finds an excuse to tear it up. He will now build more nukes and claim he saved mankind in doing so.

Chris Smith porter maine
02-02-2019, 08:59 AM
Carter was a wimp I'm thinking nutron bomb.

John Smith
02-02-2019, 09:08 AM
What changes is Russia can now do as she wishes and not be in violation of anything.

Where are our Republicans? Why do they still not stand up to this Russian agent in our White House?

We may never repair the damage being done.