PDA

View Full Version : Shackle bolts please

bluedog225
01-31-2019, 12:13 AM
Good evening all

I need to reverse the shackle bolts on my leaf spring cargo trailer to get another 1/2 inch of clearance for the tires. Since I will have it up on jacks and taken apart anyway, I’m looking around the interwebs for info on shackle bolts.

Etrailer sells “zinc” bolts with no mention grade. Amazon has some that are specified as Grade 5. And still others have a grease zerk at the hex end to grease the contact points (pretty cool).

Fluted, wet, shoulder, keeper, “heavy” etc. Lots of choices.

I have heard that it is important to choose the correct grade to avoid having a harder metal wear down a softer metal. And I’m not sure if my leaf springs accept bushings (I’ll take it apart tomorrow).

Is there a conventional wisdom regarding the correct grade of these bolts?

If I had to guess, I’d go with Grade 5, wet (grease-able), fluted, with a bushing. I’m hoping to do some fully loaded trips this summer and an working on making things trouble free.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

oznabrag
01-31-2019, 01:22 AM
Good evening all

I need to reverse the shackle bolts on my leaf spring cargo trailer to get another 1/2 inch of clearance for the tires. Since I will have it up on jacks and taken apart anyway, I’m looking around the interwebs for info on shackle bolts.

Etrailer sells “zinc” bolts with no mention grade. Amazon has some that are specified as Grade 5. And still others have a grease zerk at the hex end to grease the contact points (pretty cool).

Fluted, wet, shoulder, keeper, “heavy” etc. Lots of choices.

I have heard that it is important to choose the correct grade to avoid having a harder metal wear down a softer metal. And I’m not sure if my leaf springs accept bushings (I’ll take it apart tomorrow).

Is there a conventional wisdom regarding the correct grade of these bolts?

If I had to guess, I’d go with Grade 5, wet (grease-able), fluted, with a bushing. I’m hoping to do some fully loaded trips this summer and an working on making things trouble free.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

http://www.atlasspringservice.com/

SW corner of E 7th X Springdale.

Canoeyawl
01-31-2019, 02:34 AM
I would suggest you purchase a complete shackle and equalizer kit. (They are available in several shackle lengths and equalizer heights)
The bolts are usually serrated and a press fit into the shackles themselves. The nuts are self locking. Whether or not they have grease fittings will depend on the spring bushings. Bronze will require grease, nylon wont.

bluedog225
01-31-2019, 12:07 PM
Ok. Thanks all.

swoody126
01-31-2019, 01:07 PM
i'd start out at Tractor Supply

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/catalog/trailer-parts-accessories?cm_sp=Fly_Truck_Trailer-_-SubCategory-_-TrailerTrailer_Parts_Accessories

IMHO buying a kit would be cheaper than paying shipping

sw

Canoeyawl
01-31-2019, 06:12 PM
Look here...https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=shackle+kits

(You may be able to raise the ride height using a different equalizer)

I don't buy from them very often, only when my distributor is out of stock, but have had good results when I do.
(We are a trailer "vendor" and buy trailer parts wholesale. I think we now have over 20 equipment trailers at work)

bluedog225
01-31-2019, 06:44 PM
That Dexter heavy duty upgrade kit looks right. Thanks!

Canoeyawl
01-31-2019, 09:47 PM
There is a lot to know about your existing system before you order...
I would reccomend calling them, telling them what you want to do and asking for advice.

(Changing spring bushings is a pita, I would replace the springs before I did that)

Beowolf
01-31-2019, 09:52 PM
On two occasions, I have found eTrailer's customer service to be the absolute worst. (...and I've called Comcast before.)

At this point, I would only buy from them if I couldn't find the item anywhere else.

oznabrag
01-31-2019, 11:58 PM
There is a lot to know about your existing system before you order...
I would reccomend calling them, telling them what you want to do and asking for advice.

(Changing spring bushings is a pita, I would replace the springs before I did that)

http://www.atlasspringservice.com/

SW corner of E 7th X Springdale.

. . .

mdh
02-01-2019, 12:36 AM
I’ve never done this before in my life, but i’ve got some experience with hanging axles, and i agree with #2, and #10.