PDA

View Full Version : The GOP has no shame!

CWSmith
01-30-2019, 12:24 PM
A GOP lawmaker wants to repeal child labor laws in his state. He employs hundreds of minors.

Under Indiana’s child labor laws (https://www.in.gov/dol/files/Teen_Labor_Laws_2009.pdf), minors can work for a limited number of hours: 18 hours a week for those ages 14 and 15 and 30 hours a week for 16- and 17-year-olds. Working more than that and into late-night hours requires parental consent. A six-hour work day must include 30-minute breaks.

A new bill would scrap these rules, a move that opponents fear would enable bad actors who expose minors to excessively long working hours. But there’s another factor that has raised concerns: The bill’s author, Republican state Sen. Chip Perfect, owns a ski resort — and he employs hundreds of minors — which has led to questions about his motivations.

“My concern is: Does their business interest undermine their ability to fulfill their responsibility to their constituents?” said Abe Schwab, an ethics expert and philosophy professor at Purdue University in Fort Wayne, Ind. “Their judgment isn’t supposed to be one that represents themselves. . . . If they sponsor legislation that clearly favors themselves, then there’s reason to worry that their judgment has been compromised.”

You can read the rest.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/a-gop-lawmaker-wants-to-repeal-child-labor-laws-in-his-state-he-employs-hundreds-of-minors/ar-BBSWPtC?ocid=spartandhp

Bob Adams
01-30-2019, 12:36 PM
I'd call that an obvious conflict of interest.

David G
01-30-2019, 12:39 PM
I'd call that obvious conflict of interest.

Certainly.

I'd also call it -- yet another example of Acton's wisdom.

"When there is an accumulation of money and power into fewer and fewer hands, people with the mentality of gangsters come to the fore. Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely" -- Lord Acton

John of Phoenix
01-30-2019, 12:49 PM
"...there’s reason to worry that their judgment has been compromised.”

Oh brother!

oznabrag
01-30-2019, 01:03 PM
They are not the Grand Old Party anymore.

They are the Party Of Sedition.

David G
01-30-2019, 01:08 PM
They are not the Grand Old Party anymore.

They are the Party Of Sedition.

Some of them deliberately so.

Some of them blindly so.

Some of them would be appalled to have it pointed out.

But all of them functionally so.

oznabrag
01-30-2019, 01:22 PM
Some of them deliberately so.

Some of them blindly so.

Some of them would be appalled to have it pointed out.

But all of them functionally so.

Just so.

Gerarddm
01-30-2019, 01:25 PM
"Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be Patriotic, save the country ".

CWSmith
01-30-2019, 01:30 PM
"Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be Patriotic, save the country ".

Truth!

We are known by the company we keep. If someone runs for dog catcher as a Republican, that aligns them with an amoral leadership and even they need to go.