PDA

View Full Version : Is it too late, Uncas?

Meerkat
01-04-2006, 08:28 PM
Katrina Aftermath Includes Puppy Boom (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060104/ap_on_re_us/katrina_puppy_boom;_ylt=ApUfJfhUXghCRR6HXngPRXms0N UE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3 ODdxdHBhBHNlYwM5NjQ-)

By JAY REEVES, Associated Press Writer Wed Jan 4, 3:46 AM ET

GULFPORT, Miss. - Puppies are popping up everywhere amid the rubble left by Hurricane Katrina and animal welfare workers on the northern Gulf Coast fear it is only the start of a big boom in dog births.

Officials say more than 6,000 pets were saved after Katrina came ashore Aug. 29, and many of them were relocated to homes elsewhere in the country. An unknown number drowned in the floodwaters or died later of injuries.

But thousands of animals remain, running loose in neighborhoods where fences were flattened and many owners are gone.

"I've never seen so many puppies in my life," said Manny Maciel, an animal control officer from New Bedford, Mass., who made two trips to help trap loose dogs and cats in New Orleans and Mississippi.

Katherine
01-04-2006, 08:30 PM
I think he already has his pup arranged for. I saw this story earlier, kind of sad. :(

uncas
01-04-2006, 09:09 PM
Meer...yup a bit too late....And yes, there are a lot of dogs from the hurricanes which deserve to be adopted...I am afraid that I had a few specificic requirements though which would automatically negate a good number of them...

Try Ish...he is always moaning about not having a dog...Unlike him...when I go for something...I go for it...life's too short... :D

[ 01-04-2006, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: uncas ]