PDA

View Full Version : 9'6" Nutshell Pram plywood

surveyor464
01-29-2019, 04:34 PM
Just starting my first build project and having trouble sourcing the designated mahogany plywood. I am able to get 4 X 8 sheets but not 10ft. Would it be OK to use cedar plywood for the planks (and use mahogany for other components)? I have just finished the ladder and the molds and find the plans exceptionally detailed and easy to follow.

Thorne
01-29-2019, 06:09 PM
Welcome to the WB Forum!

Can you be more specific about what type and brand of ply you're considering? Normally experienced builders only recommend using marine-grade ply, usually either Occume for lightness, or Meranti for strength & rot resistance. The Douglas Fir marine ply will require coating with fiberglass to avoid checking (splintering) on the surface, so unless you plan to glass the inside and outside of the Nutshell I wouldn't consider doug fir marine ply.

Using non-marine grade ply, even that used for furniture, will end up wasting a lot of time and money as it tends to rot fairly quickly when used in a boat hull. And unlike solid wood, non-marine ply can rot quickly along the glue lines and plies, making repairs difficult.

StevenBauer
01-29-2019, 06:13 PM
We just scarphed 8' ply when we built our 9'6" Nutshell. No big deal.

BBSebens
01-29-2019, 06:44 PM
As Steven said. Don't burn a bunch of money getting 10' panels if its not available. Its not a lot of effort to scarf two sheets together to make a larger one, or even just scarf each plank. It'll be plenty strong.

And then we expect to see you at the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival! Finished boat or not.

gypsie
01-29-2019, 11:11 PM
Here's my somewhat recent build. http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?223325-Building-a-Nutshell-Pram-9-6-quot
Still not quite done, will have a proper sail at some point.
(Note, don't follow my lead too much - plenty of things on that thread worth not doing, and the rest could be done better :))

Scarfing two 6mm sheets is not difficult. Make sure its good ply with 5 or so layers. Some cheap 6mm will only have 3 ply's and that won't scarf properly i think.

Best wishes.