PDA

View Full Version : Modifying a Merrymeeting Bay gunning float

drew1985
01-28-2019, 01:44 PM
Hi All,

I am interested in getting some opinions about my plans to modify a variant of the Merrymeeting Bay gunning float. Originally, I was just planning to add some new decking and I am fortunate to have access to the original boat builder to help with that process. While taking off the old decking and thinking more about potential modifications, I got to wondering about how difficult it would be to redesign the stern and transom (new to all this, hopefully I am using those terms correctly) of the existing hull. As I do not scull, I would be interested in basically building a new stern/transom without the dead rise and then marrying the modified stern/transom to what would remain of the existing hull (basically midship through the bow). The idea with the new stern/transom would be to gain some "functional" space within the boat and hopefully also increase it's ability to handle a larger motor, increasing the boat's speed. I added some pictures to show the existing hull shape. While I have a few local folks to help with this adventure, most of them are experienced with starting fresh rather than modifying an existing hull design. So, I thought I'd reach out to the forum to get some more thoughts/opinions on this potential hull modification.

Thanks so much in advance,

Andrew

Peerie Maa
01-28-2019, 02:00 PM
Hi All,

I am interested in getting some opinions about my plans to modify a variant of the Merrymeeting Bay gunning float. Originally, I was just planning to add some new decking and I am fortunate to have access to the original boat builder to help with that process. While taking off the old decking and thinking more about potential modifications, I got to wondering about how difficult it would be to redesign the stern and transom (new to all this, hopefully I am using those terms correctly) of the existing hull. As I do not scull, I would be interested in basically building a new stern/transom without the dead rise and then marrying the modified stern/transom to what would remain of the existing hull (basically midship through the bow). The idea with the new stern/transom would be to gain some "functional" space within the boat and hopefully also increase it's ability to handle a larger motor, increasing the boat's speed. I added some pictures to show the existing hull shape. While I have a few local folks to help with this adventure, most of them are experienced with starting fresh rather than modifying an existing hull design. So, I thought I'd reach out to the forum to get some more thoughts/opinions on this potential hull modification.

Thanks so much in advance,

Andrew

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

That stern kicks up quite quickly, however, to have some idea of how to change the shape an indication of where the waterline meets the stern would be helpful.

drew1985
01-28-2019, 07:25 PM
Thank you! I'll try to hunt down a picture of it in the water or get it out there and take a picture as soon as I can.
- Andrew

Breakaway
01-28-2019, 07:45 PM
I'm going to be a wet blanket and say:build a new boat with a straight run for planing. Use this traditional craft when your time and circumstance allow.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Kevin

drew1985
01-29-2019, 07:08 AM
Kevin, not a wet blanket at all. To follow up a bit more, would you recommend that option because it might be extremely difficult (impossible) to really make these modifications and come out with a boat that is safe, efficient and accomplishes the goals for the making the modification? Or, is your recommendation more because by the time you get everything figured out, work through the headaches and make the modifications, you could have just built an entirely new boat? Thanks!

amish rob
01-29-2019, 09:16 AM
I second Kevin. Don't ruin a good scull boat. Keep and restore that'un, and make something new like what you want. I've made a few scull boats for guys out here, and they'd both make TERRIBLE motor boats.

Peace,
My Two Cents

Ben Fuller
01-29-2019, 10:14 AM
See if Mystic Seaport has lines for #1975.431 which was designed for an outboard. As it stands it looks like it would take one of the new electric outboards quite nicely which may add a new dimension to sneaking up to waterfowl. Is it glass or strip built?