PDA

View Full Version : Patton on Profanity

Lew Barrett
01-05-2019, 06:09 PM
You can't run an army without profanity; and it has to be eloquent profanity. An army without profanity couldn't fight its way out of a piss-soaked paper bag.

G.S. Patton

Or put another way, passion wins fights. What a fuss those snowflakes made over a lady saying it and meaning it.

McMike
01-05-2019, 06:14 PM
I must be passionate as fu34.

L.W. Baxter
01-05-2019, 06:16 PM
I think I would've been a good general, but who knows?

J. Dillon
01-05-2019, 06:20 PM
it has to be eloquent profanity

How about an example Lew ?:cool: ( coded of course)

JD

Rich Jones
01-05-2019, 06:22 PM
The one thing I know about Patton was that he had a damned fine schooner.

McMike
01-05-2019, 06:25 PM
He loved his dog. That's all I need to know.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
01-05-2019, 06:29 PM
How about an example?:cool: ( coded of course)

JD

Ixnay on the uckfay. ;)

Bob Adams
01-05-2019, 06:34 PM
Somehow I doubt Patton would publicly call the POTUS a MFer.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
01-05-2019, 06:50 PM
Patton liked "poor dumb bastard", he used that one a lot.;)

David G
01-05-2019, 07:02 PM

Somehow I doubt you know enough about Patton. He was a showman - colorful in act, demeanor, and speech. A high level of profanity was one of his chosen tools. And he had little patience for caution, cowardice, politics, weakness, or fools. I believe reading the biographies of Bradley or McArthur will give you a sense of the language Patton used to and about his men, his junior officers, his immediate superiors, the Joint Chiefs, and POTUS. Some say that was the reason his career flagged toward the end, and he never received his 5th star.

Though I don't recall reading anywhere that he used that precise word about POTUS... doubting the possibility is an unwarranted stretch. And though I think his conduct was both deplorable and detrimental, I wouldn't want to hide who he really was - good and bad - thru ignorance and/or over-fastidiousness.

Ian McColgin
01-05-2019, 07:05 PM
Graves' "I Claudius" and his original in Catullus have a wonderful speach by Julius with a radash . . .

Art Haberland
01-05-2019, 07:11 PM
I use my profanity sparingly. Not because I am against it, my first word was sh*t after all, but because when I say it, I want people to know I am truly upset

LeeG
01-05-2019, 07:15 PM

It’s up to us then, Patton is history.

David G
01-05-2019, 07:21 PM
Both R's... and their apologists...

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/49450615_812322369152551_8202130205158932480_n.jpg ?_nc_cat=1&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=6b361ad9f8e3d9050a4f5894f41e34cf&oe=5CCA3385

McMike
01-05-2019, 07:48 PM
He never meet THIS POTUS. I find it likely he would have. YMMV.

Canoeyawl
01-05-2019, 07:50 PM
The one thing I know about Patton was that he had a damned fine schooner.

If?

Lew Barrett
01-05-2019, 09:09 PM
How about an example Lew ?:cool: ( coded of course)

JD

JD! Wow. Nice to see the old and unyielding avatar!

How's this?

I fell and I can't get up! Sh*tballs!

Canoez
01-05-2019, 09:18 PM
I've always felt that profanity in conversation should be a little like spice in food. Enough to enhance, but not overwhelm.

Paul Girouard
01-05-2019, 09:41 PM
Funny , what IF Trump said the same thing about any democrat ??

David G
01-05-2019, 09:52 PM

Funny, do you know any Democrats that have earned the label the way Trump has? I don't.

But we all know that Trump never would be so vulgar. Right?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-language-idUSKBN1F12SR

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-referred-to-shutdown-as-strike-in-profanity-laced-meeting-with-democratic-leaders?ref=scroll

Rich Jones
01-05-2019, 09:52 PM
If? and when.

L.W. Baxter
01-05-2019, 10:00 PM
Profanity is just taboo words.

Vulgarity runs much deeper.

Remember candidate Trump smirking about how he "wasn't impressed" by Hillary Clinton's backside?

Great moment in the history of vulgarity.

L.W. Baxter
01-05-2019, 10:02 PM
Bobbys never did tell us how that made him feel.

L.W. Baxter
01-05-2019, 11:40 PM
Can anybody imagine anything more vulgar than attacking the birthright citizenship of the first non-white President of the United States?

That is highest level obscenity. And he repeated it over, and over, and over.

Let's face it, he is a motherf*cker if there ever was one.

Paul Girouard
01-05-2019, 11:42 PM
Bobbys never did tell us how that made him feel.

Did bobbys get a life time ban this time? Or just a long vacation like I had, two years.

L.W. Baxter
01-05-2019, 11:47 PM
Did bobbys get a life time ban this time? Or just a long vacation like I had, two years.

Who cares.

How did it make you feel, Paul, when Donald leered, then sneered at Hillary Clinton's backside?

Did you like when he claimed that he and Sheriff Joe had special inside information on President Obama's birth certificate? Yes, you liked it and it gave you a thrill down your leg, or no, you thought it was wrong and vulgar, appealing to bigotry thus.

Paul Girouard
01-06-2019, 12:36 AM
Who cares.

How did it make you feel, Paul, when Donald leered, then sneered at Hillary Clinton's backside?

Did you like when he claimed that he and Sheriff Joe had special inside information on President Obama's birth certificate? Yes, you liked it and it gave you a thrill down your leg, or no, you thought it was wrong and vulgar, appealing to bigotry thus.

Poor bobbys, no one cares!

Ship happens, get over it.

Jim Bow
01-06-2019, 12:55 AM
“Profanity is the parlance of the fool. Why curse when there is such a magnificent language with which to discourse?”
— Theodore Roosevelt

L.W. Baxter
01-06-2019, 12:55 AM
Poor bobbys, no one cares!

Ship happens, get over it.

Oh sure, sure, I agree. You remember an hour or so ago when you squeezed this one out?

Paul Girouard
01-06-2019, 01:03 AM
Oh sure, sure, I agree. You remember an hour or so ago when you squeezed this one out?

I’m sure Trump’s said some thing similar, I don’t recall seeing it , but hey if you can find him calling the POTUS a MF’er go ahead and post it.

L.W. Baxter
01-06-2019, 01:09 AM
I’m sure Trump’s said some thing similar, I don’t recall seeing it , but hey if you can find him calling the POTUS a MF’er go ahead and post it.

He didn't call him a MF'r, publically, at least.

Instead he told ignorant, bigoted white people that he had proof that Barack Obama was not born in the U.S. He blew the racist dog whistle and his base came running.

Feel free to defend that.

I will defend calling Trump a mildly profane name from the common lexicon, you defend Trump lying about the birthplace of our first non-white president, pandering to and fomenting racial hatred.

Paul Girouard
01-06-2019, 01:19 AM
He didn't call him a MF'r, publically, at least.

Instead he told ignorant, bigoted white people that he had proof that Barack Obama was not born in the U.S. He blew the racist dog whistle and his base came running.

Feel free to defend that.

I will defend calling Trump a mildly profane name from the common lexicon, you defend Trump lying about the birthplace of our first non-white president, pandering to and fomenting racial hatred.

So there’s degrees of lying , that’s your objection? Politicians lie every day, as do many , maybe most people. That’s life. Sad but true.

David G
01-06-2019, 01:35 AM
So there’s degrees of lying , that’s your objection? Politicians lie every day, as do many , maybe most people. That’s life. Sad but true.

If that's your position... then why all the frantic clutching of pearls about the congresswoman telling the truth. Her statement contained two components. First - a prediction of impeachment. Second - a judgement about Trump's character. Shouldn't you be commending her for being 2/2 in truthfulness?

Breakaway
01-06-2019, 10:43 AM
I think all depends upon the audience one is trying to reach. Most WW II soldiers we're uneducated males. One might expect such a group to respond better to shouts and profanity than prose( plus, a preponderance of same during boot camp likely evokes a Pavlovian response).

Trying to reach a broader audience, profanity is weak-a communicative shortcut--and may even backfire, since a percentage of people will dismiss ALL that is said, not just the profane words.

The only other reason for it's use might be an attempt to signal solidarity with, " man on the street."

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Canoeyawl
01-06-2019, 01:14 PM
I think all depends upon the audience one is trying to reach.

Trying to reach a broader audience, profanity is weak-a communicative shortcut--and may even backfire, since a percentage of people will dismiss ALL that is said, not just the profane words.

It seems she has reached exactly the intended audience!

LeeG
01-06-2019, 01:18 PM
bobbs loved how Trump could eat a hotdog and curse with construction workers.

https://www.juancole.com/2019/01/authenticity-plutocrat-pretense.html

Ann Arbor (Informed Comment) – Why does Donald Trump get a pass on speaking and acting obscenely but Rashida Tlaib is pilloried for calling him a Mofo? It is because US corporate media and political elites expect the wealthy to do bad imitations of working class profanity (so as to fool the rubes into voting for them), but despise the real thing.

Rashida Tlaib is the daughter of a Ford factory worker and one of 14 children. Although she earned higher degrees, including a law degree, she grew up in a disprivileged working class family–inasmuch as they were Palestinian refugees and hardly part of the labor aristocracy. Tlaib came by her ability to curse like a sailor honestly. She didn’t go to finishing school or come out as a debutante. She has said that her grandmother, a Palestinian from the working class in the old country, “told it like it is,” by which I take it she means she was capable of some salty language.
Trump is not only foul-mouthed himself (Tlaib told him to “put up a mirror” when he criticized her language) but his obscenity goes much deeper than language. There are Arab-Americans in Tlaib’s district who cannot see their loved ones because of Trump’s racist visa ban. He cut taxes on the super-rich, taking away key government services from people in the 13th District who need them to survive. The Federal workers at Detroit Metro in Wayne County are being made to work without pay and to risk losing their homes. Trump’s disdain for African-Americans is well-known, and I imagine most people in Detroit call him obscene names.

Tlaib represents people who lost their mortgages under a Republican president in 2008-9, and who never came back from that disaster. She represents African-Americans in Detroit who have been mechanized out of work. By this fall some 60 percent of Michiganders had a poor opinion of Trump, but that includes the red counties in the west of the state. Detroit and Dearborn Heights and Wayne County despise Trump with a passion. No Republican even dared try to run against Tlaib there.

These are, then, the voters who cast their ballots for Tlaib. They are beaten-down white workers and Arab-Americans fighting prejudice and African-Americans left behind by plutocrats like Trump. They work hard, eke out a living, and they cuss. They came by it honestly. They aren’t pretend working class like Trump or the Bushes. They put Rashida Tlaib in Congress for one purpose.

To impeach the Mofo, Trump.

oznabrag
01-06-2019, 02:36 PM
I think Patton would take the SFBIC out behind the latrine for a quick game of No Rank Showing.

rbgarr
01-06-2019, 02:38 PM
Obama was eloquently concise in his assessment of Trump: "He's nothing but a bull****ter."

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/333782-report-obama-told-friends-trump-is-a-bulls-ter

Chris249
01-06-2019, 06:33 PM
He loved his dog. That's all I need to know.

On the other hand, Hitler did too.

Lew Barrett
01-06-2019, 07:28 PM
Although AH was not above testing the cyanide on poor Blondie. Might we suppose that killing his beloved dog brought a tear to his eye? Nah!

Ralphie Boy
01-06-2019, 10:38 PM
Donald likes to call women who cross him "Dogs". Now that's some class right there, eh?

I don't think 2 wrongs make a right, but I think if someone is always callling others extremely rude names then they (and their supporters) shouldn't be surprised when people start giving it back.

Ralphie

David G
01-06-2019, 10:50 PM
Donald likes to call women who cross him "Dogs". Now that's some class right there, eh?

I don't think 2 wrongs make a right, but I think if someone is always callling others extremely rude names then they (and their supporters) shouldn't be surprised when people start giving it back.

Ralphie

Precisely. But they're not looking to foster a fair, reasonable, civil discourse... they are simply looking to discount and control.

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/49450615_812322369152551_8202130205158932480_n.jpg ?_nc_cat=1&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=6b361ad9f8e3d9050a4f5894f41e34cf&oe=5CCA3385

Durnik
01-07-2019, 12:03 PM
^ says it all, David.

It seems she has reached exactly the intended audience!

Bingo!

About Rashida Tliab, iDJT said "I think she dishonored her family"..

Did anybody catch? Rashida Tlaib is muslim.. 'dishonored your family' is muslim dialog to justify murdering a woman.. That tells us what we need to know about iDJT.

granted, it was probably Miller who wrote that, but still, it was written and it was published, and confirmation of Rashida Tlaib's statement.

David G
01-07-2019, 08:16 PM
Turns out that Kim Campbell, Canada's first and only PM, agrees with Rashida Tlaib. Joins in calling Trump... that name --

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/j5zzzp/former-canadian-prime-minister-calls-trump-a-motherfucker?fbclid=IwAR3MNmlK5sijqybE_p_c8z54Nh8q RALWJlvSIaod8AielzFg4Yk-Y196q9A

David G
01-07-2019, 08:26 PM
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/49307695_2961917567152535_4664347660415664128_n.jp g?_nc_cat=1&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=1b921169a6d7182548075d13d1f741c3&oe=5C8BAC6B

Mike H
01-08-2019, 08:17 AM
You owe me a screen cleaning.

LeeG
01-08-2019, 08:49 AM
ok, I approve

amish rob
01-08-2019, 09:22 AM
Youngest Son has taken to calling Oldest Son a “penisbutthole”, all one word, as his home grown swear. He reckons it’s the filthiest thing he can say with his clearance.

Yes, we stole it. Kid has a bright future.

Of course, I invented “hollow tunnel of poop”, only we don’t day poop.

Peace,
Emperor For Life