PDA

View Full Version : Hey John B, did you see this?

Dave Hadfield
01-01-2019, 11:12 AM
https://www.facebook.com/Avspecs/videos/369493253852929/

A video of a Spitfire, Mosquito, and Vampire flying in formation over Aukland Harbour.

Maybe Riada is in it.

Happy New Year,

Dave

john welsford
01-01-2019, 12:52 PM
https://www.facebook.com/Avspecs/videos/369493253852929/

A video of a Spitfire, Mosquito, and Vampire flying in formation over Aukland Harbour.

Maybe Riada is in it.

Happy New Year,

Dave

I didnt see that flight, but not long ago I was working at my sisters place and heard the unmistakeable sound of a big vee 12, looked up and the spitfire went through very low, pulled up into a wingover and headed off back the way it came. There seems to be quite a little industry here restoring, and in the case of Mosquitos building, WW2 aircraft.

All the best for the New Year Dave, I enjoy your posts about your flying exploits.

John Welsford

John B
01-01-2019, 01:26 PM
No I didn't, Dave. Isn't it magnificent.
We're in Kerikeri at the moment, a friend invited me over to their house just a couple of days ago to watch the movie Spitfire, your ears have been burning I bet.
Have a great new year yourself, we're just off in Riada for a few days or a week today.

Jim Bow
01-01-2019, 02:14 PM
Hey, John B, isn't there a sloop named after you.

Dave Hadfield
01-01-2019, 06:52 PM
If so, it's gaff-rigged.

Dave Hadfield
01-01-2019, 06:56 PM
I didnt see that flight, but not long ago I was working at my sisters place and heard the unmistakeable sound of a big vee 12, looked up and the spitfire went through very low, pulled up into a wingover and headed off back the way it came. There seems to be quite a little industry here restoring, and in the case of Mosquitos building, WW2 aircraft.

All the best for the New Year Dave, I enjoy your posts about your flying exploits.

John Welsford

Thanks, John.

Very true -- Ardmore is world-class, and very much on the map. My own experience with the P-40 built there was top-notch. There were complications, as there always are, but every one was sorted out in a professional and up-front honest way.

HNY,

Dave

John B
01-02-2019, 03:43 AM
Hey, John B, isn't there a sloop named after you.

Dam right........heh. Says the guy on the ketch.

John B
01-02-2019, 03:47 AM
Thanks, John.

Very true -- Ardmore is world-class, and very much on the map. My own experience with the P-40 built there was top-notch. There were complications, as there always are, but every one was sorted out in a professional and up-front honest way.

HNY,

Dave

I still think and was just repeating, how fortunate my 10 yr old boy was to sit in the cockpit of a P 40 thanks to you Dave.
He just graduated, got a job , hopefully will have N.A. written after his name one day.

purri
01-02-2019, 04:39 AM
So you dropped the aitch. Any more...
Thanks, John.

HNY,

Dave

john welsford
01-04-2019, 10:17 PM
Thanks, John.

HNY,

Dave

There is a bit of quiet mumbling going on about restoring and flying the Lancaster that the Museum of Transport and Technology have. It was one of the ones that the French were flying maritime recce out of New Caledonia back when I was just old enough to pedal my one speed bike the 20 km or so around to the airport where it got its maintenance work done. I walked out on to the hardstand outside the hangar, was standing looking up, no doubt with my mouth hanging open and the music of the four Merlins ringing in my ears from when she'd flown in over our house the day before. The "erk" invited me up the ladder and gave me a quick tour, I even got to sit in the pilots seat. Wow, that was a moment.

John Welsford

john welsford
01-04-2019, 10:25 PM
Thanks, John.

HNY,

Dave

A good 25 years or so ago I worked for a company that had, among other plants, two plywood factories. As the guy in the sales force who had an interest in plywood for purposes other than building houses I was tasked to look after an enquiry from a couple of guys who said they were going to build a Mosquito. I got to meet them, they had all the metal componentry including the engines from one that had been in a barn for many many years. The glue having failed she was beyond normal restoration so they were going to build a new one.
Their enquiry was around "could one of our factories make some custom plywood?". The answer was no, the certification process was too involved for a one off batch but I was able to direct them to a company in Finland that routinely made aircraft plywood including the 45/45 deg plywood used in some parts of the ship.
It was a real buzz when a couple of years back I saw that Mosquito in the air.

John Welsford