PDA

View Full Version : About those CD's you wanted to copy...

Meerkat
01-02-2006, 07:47 PM
Read carefully!
Intel to cut Linux out of the content market (http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=24638)

Also making it illegal to make any copy of anything, including your own content, on the next version of Windows.

Mac will be along soon enough.

Thanks, Congre$$

Joe (SoCal)
01-02-2006, 07:51 PM
gnutella ;)

Hackers will always find a way around.

Sony just shot themselves in the foot with trying to copyright CD's

Meerkat
01-02-2006, 07:55 PM
gnutella is dead.

Sony wasn't trying to copyright CD's - they already have that. What they tried to do was install DRM to restrict your use of their CD's. They bit themselves in the foot when it turned out to create a big hole that hackers quickly exploited. Sony just agreed to a costly settlement of a NY class action suit.

Joe (SoCal)
01-02-2006, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Meerkat:
gnutella is dead.Not on my M www.limewire.com (http://www.limewire.com) AC. ;)

http://www.limewire.com/img/logo_wh.gif

Donn
01-03-2006, 05:43 PM
"The INQUIRER -- fuelled by gossip, rumour and high octane innuendo." :rolleyes:

Meerkat
01-03-2006, 06:04 PM
According to an article I read today, Limewire, along with many other p2p services, are in talks with the RIAA to go "legit." This inevitably means they'll no longer be free, plus they'll have all that nasty, sticky DRM to contend with.

Meerkat
01-03-2006, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Donn:
"The INQUIRER -- fuelled by gossip, rumour and high octane innuendo." :rolleyes: "DONN -- fuelled by cheap booze, pot and sleazy innuendo." ;) :D

Donn
01-03-2006, 06:41 PM
MEERKAT, fueled by welfare and the largesse of others. :rolleyes:

Meerkat
01-03-2006, 07:23 PM
I'm not on welfare. Thanks for your boundless concern though. We all know how much you really care.

botebum
01-03-2006, 08:31 PM
If Donn was trying to immitate the tabloid's name then let me announce that he mispelled the name - it is The Enquirer.

Doug

Meerkat
01-03-2006, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by botebum:
If Donn was trying to immitate the tabloid's name then let me announce that he mispelled the name - it is The Enquirer.

DougDifferent rag: this one is The Inquirer.

http://www.theinquirer.net/

[ 01-03-2006, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: Meerkat ]

Donn
01-03-2006, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by botebum:

DougHey Doug, brain-child, didja click on the link in the first post in the thread?

I thought not. :rolleyes:

Donn
01-03-2006, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Donn:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by botebum:

DougHey Doug, brain-child, didja click on the link in the first post in the thread?

I thought not. :rolleyes: </font>[/QUOTE]PS.."immitate?"

botebum
01-03-2006, 08:37 PM
Damn-it Meer, I thought I had him! You've taken away my joy :( .

Doug

botebum
01-03-2006, 08:41 PM
Aww Hell! and busted myself! All my joy is gone now.
The link wouldn't open for me Donn. I will assume that it would have saved me some much deserved embarrassment.
Someday, someday. redface.gif

Doug
embarrrasment
embarasament
Screw it!

[ 01-03-2006, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: botebum ]

imported_GregW
01-03-2006, 08:54 PM
The future is here, as far as playing DVDs is concerned.
When a person buys software that allows them to play DVD on their computers, some of the cost of that software is licensing fees to be able to decrypt the DVD. The basic problem is that some countries have laws against breaking copy protection technologies. You may, or may not, be aware that DVDs are encrypted. This is for many reasons, the official one being to prevent piracy (which is certainly valid), other reasons include attempting to enforce region encoding and controlling the supply chain. You can only decrypt a DVD if you know one of the encoding keys, which require contracts and by keeping the keys secret, the DVD Consortium could control DVD playback.
In my case I can't play DVDs, that I have legally bought, on my computer because my software is free and thus no one has paid the licensing fees to decrypt the legally bought DVD. (I got around all that nonsense with a software patch.)
It's like buying a book, and then being to told you have to pay more for the right to read it!

[ 01-03-2006, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: GregW ]

Norske3
01-04-2006, 06:36 AM
The lectures I am copying are free for the taking....so says the primary source.....the man giving them.