PDA

View Full Version : Im not dead yet

genglandoh
11-29-2018, 08:45 AM
Well I have not posted since before the election.
In most years my business in very busy the last 3 months of the year and many years I do not post much around election time.

I have been in Texas, Quebec, Brazil and Connecticut.
I only had 1 day at home during these 4 back to back trips.

Well the good news is they were all successful projects but the bad news is I still have to fit in 2 trips before Christmas.

Our business is optimizing chemical processes in paper mills, mines and chemical plants.
Customers tend to give us orders all year but put off picking a date for the project.

I have not even had time to read any of the posts by others but I did get a kind one word PM that I did read.

PS Please do not PM me if you have something to say post to for all to read.
I do not reply to PMs.

S.V. Airlie
11-29-2018, 08:47 AM
As long as you know Republicans got creamed in the mid terms, I'm good gang!

Jim Mahan
11-29-2018, 08:47 AM
Welcome back.

Keith Wilson
11-29-2018, 08:50 AM
Glad you're OK. Y>

TomF
11-29-2018, 08:51 AM
If at first you don't succeed ... :D (welcome back!)

Paul Pless
11-29-2018, 08:53 AM
Well I have not posted since before the election.
In most years my business in very busy the last 3 months of the year and many years I do not post much around election time.you always trot out this same lame excuse when your side loses

Garret
11-29-2018, 08:58 AM
Welcome back! Too much work is better than not enough - though it doesn't always seem that way... :)

Osborne Russell
11-29-2018, 09:01 AM
Take time to smell the roses!

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
11-29-2018, 09:05 AM
It's too cold to sail, might as well work.

Paul Pless
11-29-2018, 09:13 AM
It's too cold to sail, might as well work.and not cold enough yet to ice fish

TomF
11-29-2018, 09:15 AM
and not cold enough yet to ice fishA "sport" which never made any sense to me. Maybe I don't drink enough.

genglandoh
11-29-2018, 09:15 AM
Take time to smell the roses!

The funny (in a sad way) thing is I still have 4 weeks vacation left.
I just changed jobs and my new boss, who I have known for 10 years, has promised me I will travel less.
So far it just have meant I have 2 jobs my old one and my new one.

I still like my job and will be doing it for a few more years.

genglandoh
11-29-2018, 09:17 AM
you always trot out this same lame excuse when your side loses

Thank you for pointing out that I have explained this business pattern before.

Flying Orca
11-29-2018, 09:41 AM
Dude. The thread title is supposed to be "Do you think genglandoh is dead yet?" :D

Seriously, optimizing chemical processes in paper mills? I did a bit of that, once upon a time. Specifically, vanillin production as a by-product of sulphite pulping. Nobody does it any more, but in the mid-80s, my employer was the largest vanillin producer in the world.

Garret
11-29-2018, 09:57 AM
A "sport" which never made any sense to me. Maybe I don't drink enough.

I bet that's exactly the problem - and I guess I don't either.

I knew a guy (Saab mechanic) who took 2 96 sedans & made them into one. It could drive either direction & he had seats in the middle facing each other with openings in the floor to put the fishing line through. Eberspacher heater so he could drive out on the ice, start fishing (& drinking) & stay toasty warm. Had a killer sound system too.

Long winters make people do strange things...

Did I drift the thread enough?

S.V. Airlie
11-29-2018, 09:59 AM

I knew a guy (Saab mechanic) who took 2 96 sedans & made them into one. It could drive either direction & he had seats in the middle facing each other with openings in the floor to put the fishing line through. Eberspacher heater so he could drive out on the ice, start fishing (& drinking) & stay toasty warm. Had a killer sound system too.

Did I drift the thread enough?Gotta love Yankee ingenuity!

genglandoh
11-29-2018, 10:28 AM
Feast or famine, now it looks like you have a lot of time on your hands.

Not really.
I still have 2 projects to finish this year and I am trying to write code using a new programming language that management decided we should use.
So I need to rewrite all of our special function blocks and templates that are backward comparable with our old programming language so it will be easy to upgrade our old projects to the new platform.

I am taking a break from programming because last night I send a chunk of programming to our India Office for testing.
It is always a good policy to have a different person test the code.

I will be getting back to writing the code this afternoon.

S.V. Airlie
11-29-2018, 11:04 AM
After the blue wave election Trump took a break from ranting about the caravan, and withdrew the troops at the border.

He then resumed ranting about Mueller.

It is all understandable and predictable.Actually, he's extending their tour into January.

robm
11-29-2018, 12:38 PM
I'll be durned! Geng works for the same company I do. His job description sounded very familiar, and there he is, on the massive company email address list.

purri
11-29-2018, 05:54 PM
Has all that travel broadened your outlook?

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
11-29-2018, 07:32 PM
and not cold enough yet to ice fish

Soon enough my friend.
I know some good spots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ifGALRbrZM

johnw
11-29-2018, 08:45 PM
Glad to hear you're okay!

LeeG
11-29-2018, 09:24 PM

Did I drift the thread enough?

excellent drift

john welsford
11-30-2018, 01:00 AM
The funny (in a sad way) thing is I still have 4 weeks vacation left.
I just changed jobs and my new boss, who I have known for 10 years, has promised me I will travel less.
So far it just have meant I have 2 jobs my old one and my new one.

I still like my job and will be doing it for a few more years.

Try and hook a job in the southern part of Australia or in New Zealand over the November through to April period, we've a better climate at that time of year.

John Welsford

WX
11-30-2018, 03:34 AM
Dude. The thread title is supposed to be "Do you think genglandoh is dead yet?" :D

Seriously, optimizing chemical processes in paper mills? I did a bit of that, once upon a time. Specifically, vanillin production as a by-product of sulphite pulping. Nobody does it any more, but in the mid-80s, my employer was the largest vanillin producer in the world.

Jesus H Orca, you beat me to it!! :D

Paul Pless
11-30-2018, 07:32 AM
really nice fish there
"eyes as big as quarters. . ."
Soon enough my friend.
I know some good spots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ifGALRbrZM

Flying Orca
11-30-2018, 07:39 AM
Jesus H Orca, you beat me to it!! :D

Glad somebody went there! :D

LeeG
11-30-2018, 08:01 AM
Well Geng, Do you think the GOP will stick with Trump all the way to 2020?