PDA

View Full Version : Honor thy father and thy mother

ishmael
11-28-2018, 02:54 PM
Some of you may remember my 'reconciliation' thread about the disruption of my family ties. Well, I've got an attendant problem.

My mother passed some twenty years ago. I know her birthday, but not the day she died. The family has a burial plot in Michigan for all immediate family members, and everyone who has passed has a stone except my mother. There ought to be something marking the fact that she was here, and I'd like to place a stone for her. Who would have a record of her death? The town or county in which she passed?

cbcc
11-28-2018, 03:00 PM
You know where she rests so the cemetery may have it on file. If not the coroners office would have it A death certificate would have been produced.

Jim Bow
11-28-2018, 03:41 PM
Google is your friend, my friend:

Each City or Town in Maine records and maintains death records for individuals who died in that municipality or who were a resident of that municipality at the time of death. (If you are not certain of the Place of Death, you may call the Office of Vital Statistics for the State of Maine in Augusta at (207) 287-1919 or 1-888-664-9491.) The City Clerk's Office maintains Death records for Bangor dating back to the early 1800's.
The following information is helpful in locating an individual's record:

Name
Date of Death
Name of Spouse
Mother's Name
Father's Name

In person:Certified Copies of Death Certificates are available during normal business hours (8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday) at our office on the first floor of Bangor City Hall. The first copy costs $15.00. Additional copies are $6.00 each. The requestor must fill out a request form, provide proof of identity and proof of lineage, if necessary. (Photocopies are not legal documents but may be purchased for $5.00 per record).

SMARTINSEN
11-28-2018, 03:52 PM
Was there an obit? First thing I would do is try a quick google, you just might get it right off the bat.

If she was in New England, the town clerk, I so not know of the equivalent in other locales, but they would most assuredly have a record.

jim Bow, I do not know, but I sense that Ish's mom was from MI rather than ME, though in any event the process is likely essentially similar.

ishmael
11-28-2018, 04:45 PM
She was an Ohio gurl. The family plot is in Michigan because of a summer cottage there.

Thanks all. Ya know, I'm not sure the town she died it, but I know the county. Maybe a trip to their web site or a phone call would be a good place to start.

leikec
11-28-2018, 04:47 PM
Have you looked on Find A Grave?

Jeff C

ishmael
11-28-2018, 05:09 PM
Um, part of my point is that she doesn't have a grave. Well, she has one but she isn't buried there. She was cremated and her ashes spread, as per her wishes. But as I said, she ought to have a marker saying she was here.

ishmael
11-28-2018, 06:22 PM
Reading comprehension. She NOT buried anywhere!

ishmael
11-28-2018, 06:35 PM
I'm surprised you even have to ask. Because she was here, she was my mother, she loved me and I loved her, and she ought to have a marker to say she was here.

"Remember this as you walk by, where you are now so once was I. Where I am now soon you will be. Remember this and follow me."

A New England gravestone epitaph.

ishmael
11-28-2018, 06:47 PM
What an ignoramus you can be, Jaimie.