X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ishmael
    Banned
    • Jun 2000

DNA testing

The rather rancorous discussion of race on Dale's thread has re-kindled an interest. It seems to me most of us are mutts. There are, perhaps, a few exceptions(Ashkenazi Jews?), but...

I know I have Scot, French and German running around in there, and it would be interesting to find out what else.

Have you done this, and would you suggest one company over another?
  • ron ll
    Seattle WA USA (Ballard)
    • Oct 2005

Re: DNA testing

It’s an invasion of privacy for all your relatives. If you have any on the lamb, your testing will flush them out to the police.

Comment

• birlinn
      Isle of Mull, Scotland
      • Jul 2011

On the lamb?
      I don't think I have relatives into 'animal husbandry'

Comment

• Dave Hadfield
        • Apr 2000

Careful. Don't ask what you may not want to know.

A friend of mine just posted on FB his discovery that he is the son of a friend of the family, not his mother's husband.

Comment

• Norman Bernstein
          Liberaltarian
          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by ishmael
          The rather rancorous discussion of race on Dale's thread has re-kindled an interest. It seems to me most of us are mutts. There are, perhaps, a few exceptions(Ashkenazi Jews?), but...
          The 'purity' of Ashkenazim Jewery may be disappearing very rapidly. Every Jewish couple my wife and I know socially have children who married non-Jews.... and my older daughter married a guy who was raised Catholic. It doesn't bother me, in the least bit... although 50 years ago, it would have been a family shame.

The results of the popular DNA tests need to be taken with a grain of salt... from what I've read, the genetic map is only barely skimmed by these tests, and the results, expressed as a percentage, may be wildly inaccurate. My younger daughter did it, partially as a result of a family joke, and her test revealed her to be of 99.3% Ashkenazai Jewish heritage, which is what she should have fully expected... but for non-Jews, the percentages may be misleading.

One interesting thing: if you use the '23AndMe' service, they will identify other customers whose profiles indicate a familial relationship to you. In my daughter's case, a cousin we know of was mentioned in her report... but you have to realize that it's only because the cousin used the same 23AndMe service. The report also listed another several dozen people whose DNA profile indicated a possible match... but since I know the heritage quite accurately, I know that those matches are false.
          "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Comment

• Flying Orca
            Ruth, feck, and gorm
            • Jan 2007

I've done the Ancestry.com test, and so have a few other family members. The results are interesting, and continually being refined as more markers and populations are added to their database. Anyone of western European ancestry will have markers from all over that region, pretty much guaranteed; ancient peoples moved around a lot, and some (e.g. Vikings/Normans) settled or otherwise left their genes all over the place.

One interesting side of the DNA testing is that it's helped us connect with the African-American part of my dad's family, which had previously been difficult due to patchy records. That part of the family tree is much closer to complete now, at least in terms of distant cousins and such.

What are you doing about it?

Comment

• TomF
              Recalcitrant Heretic
              • Jun 2003

Would probably make more sense to have one of the kids tested, rather than Herself or me. That way we'd get access to both sides of the family tree for one pricetag, rather than having to pay for each of us. But I haven't really cared too much - I look a whole lot like my Dad, and my kids all look enough like me.
              If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Comment

• LeeG
                • May 2002

there’s neanderthal in there somewhere

Comment

• TomF
                  Recalcitrant Heretic
                  • Jun 2003

And a few proto-gerbils. Promiscuous little b@stards.
                  If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Comment

• Flying Orca
                    Ruth, feck, and gorm
                    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by TomF
                    Would probably make more sense to have one of the kids tested, rather than Herself or me. That way we'd get access to both sides of the family tree for one pricetag, rather than having to pay for each of us.
                    I think that's looking at it backwards, at least if your priority is detail. Testing parents will, by definition, yield twice as much detail as testing a child.

What are you doing about it?

Comment

• sharpiefan
                      Pro-metric Space Cadet
                      • Aug 2013

F Y I

My Aunt Cat is our family’s amateur genealogist, and she has logged hundreds of hours both on Ancestry.com and in my grandmother’s attic, piecing together the story of our family tree. She’s found countless third, fourth, and fifth cousins with ties to Syria, but no one from either Italy or Greece. In her twenties, she even visited my grandfather’s biological mother and aunt. She recalled them passing around a hookah, yelling in Arabic, and expressing repulsion at the American-style cold cut platter served at a community function. Given how segregated the family was, it seemed like a stretch, she told me, to imagine that anyone had ever had so much as a friendly conversation with an Italian.

I suspected the error might lay not in my family narrative, but in the DNA test itself. So I decided to conduct an experiment. I mailed my own spit samples to AncestryDNA, as well as to 23andMe and National Geographic. For each test I got back, the story of my genetic heritage was different—in some cases, wildly so.

(CONT'D AT LINK)
                      How DNA Testing Botched My Family's Heritage, and Probably Yours, Too (LINK)

#include [ std-disclaimer ]

Hope the voyage is a long one.
                      May there be many a summer morning when,
                      with what pleasure, what joy,
                      you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
                      (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

Comment

• TomF
                        Recalcitrant Heretic
                        • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Flying Orca
                        I think that's looking at it backwards, at least if your priority is detail. Testing parents will, by definition, yield twice as much detail as testing a child.
                        I suppose. I dunno, might do it sometime.

Comment

• skuthorp
                          • Jan 2002

One of my brothers has, and a Brit second cousin.

Comment

• Jim Bow
                            Still tender and callow f
                            • Jul 2008

I read (can't cite) that the three main "ancestry" DNA companies will not reveal their methods or databases. You might pay to all three and get three differing results.
                            “Come, come, my conservative friend, wipe the dew off your spectacles and see the world is moving" - Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Comment

• Peerie Maa
                              Old Grey Inquisitive One
                              • Oct 2008

I am not £70 interested, I'll stick with the paper trail.
                              Originally posted by Dave Hadfield
                              Careful. Don't ask what you may not want to know.

A friend of mine just posted on FB his discovery that he is the son of a friend of the family, not his mother's husband.
                              You don't need to spit in a tube for that to happen. My very uptight mother would have been unhappy to know of the mismatch in dates that I discovered in her side of the family during my reserches.
                              It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
                              The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Comment

Working...