PDA

View Full Version : Border chaos

John Smith
11-27-2018, 06:31 AM
Unless I've got this wrong, seeking asylum is a legal action both under our laws and under international law. These laws came to be after WWII and our learning of the result of our turning away a ship full of people fleeing Germany.

We have spent, we're told, $200 million to send troops to seal the border. Border crossings, despite what Trump says, are not at an all time high.

Not everyone who asks for asylum gets it, but all are entitled, under our laws, to a due process. $200 million would pay for one hell of a lot of processing.

Whatever image the United States enjoyed around the world, Trump is destroying it.

I don't see how this ends well.

skuthorp
11-27-2018, 06:37 AM
Neither do I. And it's just the start.

Phil Y
11-27-2018, 03:23 PM
Sadly Australia has led the world in illegally denying entry to asylum seekers. I think Trump help our PM up as a great model in this disgraceful behaviour.

John Smith
11-27-2018, 03:46 PM
I cannot understand why we don't have a modern day "Ellis Island" at our southern border to properly process asylum seekers. The money spent on troops would be a good start. We could incorporate it into the 'wall', but we'd have a significant piece of land ON THIS SIDE OF THE BORDER used for this purpose

Sky Blue
11-27-2018, 03:55 PM
Shut the border. That's how you end the "chaos."

Nothing is preventing persons from making an asylum claim.

paulf
11-27-2018, 03:58 PM
Neither do I. And it's just the start.

How is Australia going to solve it's problem? Perhaps we (the US) could learn something.

paulf
11-27-2018, 04:02 PM
Shut the border. That's how you end the "chaos."

Nothing is preventing persons from making an asylum claim.

Or spend $50 Million and set up a processing facility to perhaps vet them carefully with a signed agreement that if not granted they leave in peace. If they pass, welcome to the US!

Beats $200 million for troops.

P.S. SB won't like this solution, but so what.

paulf
11-27-2018, 04:06 PM
I cannot understand why we don't have a modern day "Ellis Island" at our southern border to properly process asylum seekers. The money spent on troops would be a good start. We could incorporate it into the 'wall', but we'd have a significant piece of land ON THIS SIDE OF THE BORDER used for this purpose

Good Idea!