PDA

View Full Version : snuggness of centerboard in the centerboard slot

dposner
11-24-2018, 07:13 PM
Nearing the end of my shellback build ( the pyramids were build faster) i noticed that after sanding, smoothing, etc the centerboard, what once slid snuggly into the centerboard slot in the hull, now has quite a bit of wobble.....well more than wobble. Both laterally and stem to stern. I assume that this needs some attention and should not be left as it. correct? Logic seems to say I should devise a fix ( slot smaller, or centerboard wider), but on the very slight chance it would make no difference; I turn to you my wooden boat guides

thanks

David

Ian McColgin
11-24-2018, 07:52 PM
It's not supposed to fit too tightly. Once you're on a tack, the board is pressed to the weather side of the trunk. Think of my leeboards that are only held on one side.

Sometimes when going downwind if you leave the board down it might chatter, but you should raise the board then anyway.

For some boats you can fit opposing teflon pads a little aft of the center of the board's underwater resistance. This will allow the board to angle a little to weather on each tack for a little positive lift.

Woxbox
11-24-2018, 08:08 PM
What Ian says, of course. Plus you need to allow for some swelling in the wood anyway. It's far easier to deal with a loose board than one that's too tight.

BBSebens
11-25-2018, 12:36 AM
If you’re worried about it, a cb slot gasket will take care of it. But it’s probably not worth worrying about.