PDA

View Full Version : Cat and dogs

Rum_Pirate
11-15-2018, 06:08 PM
Last Wednesday, as I got into the Departure Lounge got a phone call. Dog(s) have killed (actually only attacked) the cat.
Cat under car where it ran to escape and wasunconscious.

Wife also left on a flight later that day.

Cat in Vet until Saturday. No Insurance +/-US$450.00.

No bones broken. Rather roughly mauled, some bleeding wounds.

Cat back home, recovering slowly, and currently separated from dogs.

Two dogs knew cat from it being a kitten. I don't think it was them.

Two dogs knew cat as an adult when they arrived as puppies. I know it was one them ( he is close to a needle!!!!) involved. Maybe they became a pack?

All animals have freedom of house.

Question arises.

Being the alpha male of the 'pack, what is necessary for me to do to integrate the cat back home AND ensure it's safety and life?

Ian McColgin
11-15-2018, 09:22 PM
It's impossible, so far as I understand, to discipline at this remove even if you could be 100% sure or the aggressor. Your presence may have kept things in check, but this aggression in your absence may now recur while you are about. If you are on top of things, you can deal then.

Tough call. G'luck.

CWSmith
11-15-2018, 09:38 PM
Cat in Vet until Saturday. No Insurance +/-US$450.00.

My wife's uncle found kittens in the barn. They were half wild and he took them to the vet and got them all neutered.

I don't know how he made the mistake, but one was the male (father). He lived across the street. The neighbors were not amused. I thought it was funny as hell!

elf
11-15-2018, 10:13 PM
Are all the animals fixed?

Stiletto
11-16-2018, 12:58 AM
Do you own a gun?
Dogs that attack other animals around here end up dying of lead poisoning!

Paul Pless
11-16-2018, 03:28 AM
Alpha Male? Snort! :D

Rum_Pirate
11-16-2018, 07:21 AM
Are all the animals fixed?

Yes, all of my animals, cat and dogs, have been fixed.

Paul Pless
11-16-2018, 07:42 AM
Are all the animals fixed?i'm curious what difference that would make

elf
11-16-2018, 08:16 AM
Wouldn't it tend to reduce the aggressive nature of the dogs?

Paul Pless
11-16-2018, 08:31 AM
Wouldn't it tend to reduce the aggressive nature of the dogs?
maybe. . .

i suspect the deal with the attack on the cat is that the cat was running and that kicks in the 'thrill of the chase'in dogs, exacerbated by a pack, neutering does not affect this instinct drive in my opinion

the way i would handle rum pirates situation is to put each dog on a long down stay command and then tease them with the cat :D
no really
if the dogs breaks the down, when the cat is nearby, i would correct them until they no longer break their down
after each dog individually is trained then i would put them in the room together with the cat and perform the same routine as before but as a pack

note: the cat may not be happy being used as bait :D
more seriously, that's a real problem, the cat not being happy
if it flees from the sight of these dogs, then it will trigger that same response in the dogs again,this is thousands upon thousands of years of ingrained instinctually behavior and it can be difficult to overcome, but not impossible

elf
11-16-2018, 09:23 AM
Easier, by far, to find a new home for the cat, or for the dogs, or maybe for just one of the dogs.

amish rob
11-16-2018, 09:53 AM
I have done similar to Paul when we took in a dog for friends. He wanted the cat, badly. I had a sit down, and demonstrated repeatedly it was MY cat.

MY cat.

Of course, any dog who lives here knows it’s MY yard, MY house, and MY food.
They also know they are MY dogs, and I love them. :)

How many words do these dogs understand?

Peace,
Robert

Rum_Pirate
11-16-2018, 02:24 PM
maybe. . .

i suspect the deal with the attack on the cat is that the cat was running and that kicks in the 'thrill of the chase'in dogs, exacerbated by a pack, neutering does not affect this instinct drive in my opinion

the way i would handle rum pirates situation is to put each dog on a long down stay command and then tease them with the cat :D
no really
if the dogs breaks the down, when the cat is nearby, i would correct them until they no longer break their down
after each dog individually is trained then i would put them in the room together with the cat and perform the same routine as before but as a pack

note: the cat may not be happy being used as bait :D
more seriously, that's a real problem, the cat not being happy
if it flees from the sight of these dogs, then it will trigger that same response in the dogs again,this is thousands upon thousands of years of ingrained instinctually behavior and it can be difficult to overcome, but not impossible

Was going to try something similar. This seems a bit better. Thanks.

Difficult situation.

robm
11-16-2018, 04:00 PM
I had a cat that had been raised with dogs. He understood them very well, and did not run from them. He would stand his ground, not all humped up and hissy, just ignoring the dog . If the dog got into his space, he would then lay a beating on it: nose, eyes, whatever was closest, until the dog backed off. Once out of his space, the dog was back on ignore. This behaviour was weird enough, and unpleasant enough, that most dogs decided ignoring this cat, just as it was ignoring him, was the best policy.

I only saw him run from a dog twice. Once, the dog was a known cat-killer. He was fortunate enough to make it up a tree, with no damage except to his pride. I gave the owner hell for walking such a dog, unleashed, down the back alley. The other time, a dog caught him unawares, and at high speed, so he ran under a very prickly spruce tree. The dog hit the spruce and bounced!