PDA

View Full Version : a boat for amish rob

Paul Pless
11-15-2018, 07:08 AM
https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15055846_10154706359839153_2202929558385197598_n.j pg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=fdff5c8bb59def060211222a54c0cd86&oe=5C72C16F

TomF
11-15-2018, 07:14 AM
Needs a Meso-american styled figurehead with a Mennonite beard... and a doodle on the sail.

TomF
11-15-2018, 07:18 AM
Actually, that looks like just a blast of fun!

FF
11-15-2018, 07:25 AM
What boat is it? My guess is its in France, on a river using the current to downstream and sail for seawind upstream.

amish rob
11-15-2018, 09:36 AM
I can NOT be that predictable.

Can I?

Peace,
Port Brace! Port Brace!

David G
11-15-2018, 09:50 AM
I can NOT be that predictable.

Can I?

Peace,
Port Brace! Port Brace!

No. You are not. Have no fear. Not at all!!!!

Though it's true... I knew you'd say that... <G>

amish rob
11-15-2018, 11:09 AM
Did I tell you Quad and I had been thinking of building a square rigged radeau? The new pram is called RadEau, by the by, split into two words by the rudder.

Peace,
Itís Sprit Rigged, Though

Art Haberland
11-15-2018, 11:10 AM

it does

amish rob
11-15-2018, 11:20 AM
The longer I hang around with and mess with boats, the more I realize the weird, goofy ones are the most fun. To me.

Quadzilla and I, for example, have been imagining a square rigged boat. Why? Because who the heck knows how to sail one of those?!

And, please, DONíT tell me it wonít sail well. Too many cats sailed too many square rigged boats into and out of too many places for them not to work.

Now, would a foiling, wing-sailed carbon fiber drag sled be faster? No. A plane would. Or a car. Or any motor boat. Or any other modern mode of transport. :)

We have small waters to play on, and no yachty traditions to bind us to classes. No matter what, weíll be the weird guys in the sailboat. May as weíll go whole hog, eh?

Anyway.

Peace,
Robert

Canoeyawl
11-15-2018, 02:55 PM
A homemade square rig is one of the most fun boats I ever sailed on. Even a bit offshore, like a mile or two, if you got worried you would just steer downwind and let the sail fly up and out as a sort of scandalized reef.

A homemade junk rig is right there with it though. A blue tarp, some 2x2's split in half and rastened bach together on either side of the tarp as battens, surprisingly weathly and docile.

(There is a movie with Elizabeth Taylor and Lassie (maybe her debut?) that has a scene with a very real square rigged flat bottom skiff sailing across a small lake that is really interesting)

Rum_Pirate
11-15-2018, 03:04 PM
True but getting back upstream may be a little more problematic unless the wind changes. :D

TomF
11-15-2018, 03:09 PM
My first ever sailing experience was at 5, with my 7 year old brother being "Captain." Two sling-back deck chairs in a rowboat, so sorta square rigged. The wind didn't change ...

FF
11-15-2018, 03:13 PM
I have been out in Roar Ege, replica vikingship in Roskilde. Rowing from mooring to winward, hoist the yard and sail. She sailed well and steered very light. Indeed fun, Rob, you oughta build one

Canoeyawl
11-15-2018, 03:13 PM
When I was about eight and lived in the frozen north, I rigged up a small square sail from a pilowcase to hold onto while ice skating on the local mill pond. Some days when the wind was right you could go a mile or two up the mill stream.
Jeebus, I have never been faster on my feet...

LeeG
11-15-2018, 03:15 PM
where is that?

Canoeyawl
11-15-2018, 03:38 PM
where is that?

Who me?
Maine

John Meachen
11-15-2018, 03:38 PM
I have done a fair bit of river sailing and wouldn't want to set out in any boat with such limited visibility.You tend to look foolish when sailing into the bank after failing to see a bend.Other boats aren't such a problem as they tend to shout or use a horn to alert you to their presence.With a diligent lookout it might be fun until the bends in the river make beating necessary.

Canoeyawl
11-15-2018, 03:40 PM
I always called it "running amok"

Usually the best part of the day.

amish rob
11-15-2018, 03:52 PM
I have done a fair bit of river sailing and wouldn't want to set out in any boat with such limited visibility.You tend to look foolish when sailing into the bank after failing to see a bend.Other boats aren't such a problem as they tend to shout or use a horn to alert you to their presence.With a diligent lookout it might be fun until the bends in the river make beating necessary.

You want to feel dumb? Try SWIMMING into the riverbank. Then a marker buoy. Then a Marshall’s boat. Then the river bank again.
Now I breathe more often, look around a bit...

Peace,
Robert

Canoeyawl
11-15-2018, 04:01 PM
I was rowing doubles at the Dolphin club with a man that never rowed before and I thought it best if he rowed stroke.

It was an informal race and we were chugging along pretty well in snyc when Bam, we hit something.
I asked "what was that"? He replied "just one of those little red buoys"... Wait, what? There are no buoys here "Stop!" It was a swimmer with red rubber cap. We backed to him and let him hang on the stern for a while until I was sure he wasn't concussed, then let him go on. We shadowed him for a while anyway.

amish rob
11-15-2018, 04:06 PM
I was rowing doubles at the Dolphin club with a man that never rowed before and I thought it best if he rowed stroke.

It was an informal race and we were chugging along pretty well in snyc when Bam, we hit something.
I asked "what was that"? He replied "just one of those little red buoys"... Wait, what? There are no buoys here "Stop!" It was a swimmer with red rubber cap. We backed to him and let him hang on the stern for a while until I was sure he wasn't concussed, then let him go on. We shadowed him for a while anyway.

It will take much more than a whitehall to take out one of those Dolphin swimmers.

No.

Pass.

Not even on July 7th with a 5mm suit, booties and a hood.

No. And especially not in bikini trunks, like most of them.

Wait, were you guys in one of those whitehalls?

Peace,
Robert

Canoeyawl
11-15-2018, 04:09 PM
Was that you?

Perhaps we have met then...

amish rob
11-15-2018, 04:12 PM
Was that you?
I tried once. Around 94-95, I guess. I made it almost half way through the Aquatic Park before I turned around. I nearly froze solid.

With a suit Iím okay, but those bathing suit cats scare me.

Peace,
Robert

Canoeyawl
11-15-2018, 04:14 PM
Wait, no red rubber cap then?