PDA

View Full Version : If invited to a public hanging....

Figment
11-12-2018, 08:43 AM
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/mississippi-senator-whose-runoff-opponent-black-jokes-about-public-hanging-n935006

"If he invited me to a public hanging, I'd be on the front row," Hyde-Smith said during a campaign stop in Tupelo, Mississippi.

On what planet is this a phrase in common/decent usage?

S.V. Airlie
11-12-2018, 08:45 AM
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/mississippi-senator-whose-runoff-opponent-black-jokes-about-public-hanging-n935006

On what planet is this a phrase in common/decent usage?Donno but this candidate is living on it!

Art Haberland
11-12-2018, 08:47 AM
rather ghoulish really

Paul Pless
11-12-2018, 08:48 AM
uhhhh. . .

S.V. Airlie
11-12-2018, 08:49 AM
Probably has her white robe cleaned and pressed in a plastic bag ready!

CWSmith
11-12-2018, 08:49 AM
It's all about life in the bubble. If you don't get push back from decent human beings, you will lose perspective on what is expected by decent human beings.

I think the comment is disgusting.

S.V. Airlie
11-12-2018, 08:54 AM
It's all about life in the bubble. If you don't get push back from decent human beings, you will lose perspective on what is expected by decent human beings.

I think the comment is disgusting.Read her spin on it!

ccmanuals
11-12-2018, 09:05 AM
Btw, her opponent is black

Paul Pless
Btw, her opponent is blackand highly qualified

S.V. Airlie
Btw, her opponent is blackYes he is!

Paul Pless
11-12-2018, 09:06 AM
and a democat

S.V. Airlie
11-12-2018, 09:07 AM
3 strikes!

amish rob
11-12-2018, 09:08 AM
Not even my own.

Peace,
Robert

CWSmith
11-12-2018, 09:11 AM
Read her spin on it!

Well, she's an idiot, isn't she? Her spin is entirely unacceptable even if true. It just makes my point - life in the bubble is so insular that she does not comprehend the magnitude of her offense.

S.V. Airlie
11-12-2018, 09:12 AM
Well, she's an idiot, isn't she? Her spin is entirely unacceptable even if true. It just makes my point - life in the bubble is so insular that she does not comprehend the magnitude of her offense.But, voters will believe what she said!

Paul Pless
11-12-2018, 09:13 AM
Mississippi, making Alabama look good.

CWSmith
11-12-2018, 09:15 AM
But, voters will believe what she said!

Of course they will. They will eat it up. That is the problem with America. The big problem isn't Donald Trump - he's the symptom of the problem. The real problem is that about half of our society is blind to the facts and reactionary. They don't see the harm DT is doing, they see him giving "plain talk" and "telling it like it is". Until they wake up or die, they will be our burden as the rest of us try to fix what is broken.

Nicholas Scheuer
11-12-2018, 09:25 AM
Ironic that this thread appeared immediately below the "White Trash" thread just now.

David G
11-12-2018, 09:37 AM
She may be an idjit... but she has the same low cunning as Trump. And the same propensity for hateful, ugly, divisive, dog-whistle politics.

John of Phoenix
11-12-2018, 10:09 AM
A video of U.S. Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith , R-Miss., who faces a runoff against an African-American opponent, joking about attending "a public hanging" went viral Sunday as she insisted there was nothing negative about her remark.

Sweet Mother of God reds are Stupid.

John of Phoenix
11-12-2018, 10:11 AM
Or you can give it a little prick. Literally LOL. :D

CWSmith
11-12-2018, 10:38 AM
Or you can give it a little prick.

The Republican bubble already has a little prick - he is POTUS.

birlinn
11-12-2018, 10:41 AM
That Mississippi guy has the right T-shirt.

oznabrag
11-12-2018, 10:51 AM
If the guest of honor were DFT, I would be front-rowing it, myself.

Jim Bow
11-12-2018, 11:34 AM
Link to the guy in the " Mississippi Justice" T shirt.

wizbang 13
11-12-2018, 11:49 AM
I have two nephews,one a vet,the other active now,that have posted on FB that they would like to be on our southern border with a rifle ,to shoot invaders.
(Both also have one son who lives with their mom.They did not fight very hard to keep their own offspring).
I bet they would volunteer to perform security duty at any hanging.

Canoeyawl
11-12-2018, 12:01 PM
"Mississippi has a difficult racial history that includes 581 lynchings from 1882 to 1968, the most of any state in that period, according to the NAACP (https://www.naacp.org/history-of-lynchings/)."

Andrew Craig-Bennett
11-12-2018, 01:04 PM
If invited to a public hanging I would decline, if at all possible. Especially if it were mine.

S.V. Airlie
11-12-2018, 01:16 PM
ACB, my ancestor was the Commander of the Am troops in the Cherry Valley wipeout in 17177. He was killed! In Aug. Being related, I got an invitation to celebrate that military action. There was a huge black border around it. First though, they didn't get me then and I refuse to be killed at the second attempt.I didn't go.:D

JTA
11-12-2018, 06:10 PM
I do believe Senator Hyde-Smith is so far out of touch with reality that she doesn't know why her words were offensive. Why would I consider voting for someone that far out of touch? I hope she is soundly defeated, I fear my hopes will not be realized.

Jack

McMike
11-12-2018, 06:21 PM
Mississippi, making Alabama look good.

S'not saying much . . .

leikec
11-12-2018, 07:05 PM
If invited to a public hanging I would decline, if at all possible. Especially if it were mine.

That would be a stretch...

:D

Jeff C

S.V. Airlie
11-12-2018, 07:10 PM
That would be a stretch...

:D

Jeff CBungy cord!

Jimmy W
11-14-2018, 01:27 AM
https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2018/11/12/PJAM/c0b9d46d-81fe-4c8a-a58a-e2e71d343a9f-111318_Tuesday_HydeSmith.jpg?width=540&height=405&fit=bounds&auto=webp

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/opinion/2018/11/13/mssen-marshall-ramey-cindy-hyde-smith-public-hanging-commens/1990013002/

Jimmy W
11-16-2018, 12:44 AM
Cindy Hyde-Smith jokes about voter suppression of liberals in new video posted online.
The 18-second clip, which has poor quality, begins abruptly. "And then they remind me, that there's a lot of liberal folks in those other schools who that maybe we don't want to vote," Hyde-Smith, a Republican, says to a group of supporters, as several people speak over her at the same time. "Maybe we want to make it just a little more difficult. So I think that's a great idea."

Her campaign quickly said she was "obviously" joking.

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/politics/2018/11/15/ms-sen-runoff-hyde-smith-talks-voter-suppression-twitter-video-lamar-white-jr-espy/2018678002/

David G
12-31-2018, 11:11 AM
She has yet to return the money that various donors asked for. Over $50k...

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/republican-cindy-hyde-smith-did-not-return-over-094405914--abc-news-topstories.html

Keith Wilson
12-31-2018, 11:16 AM
From the end of Reconstruction through the 1960s, there were 581 lynchings in Mississippi, the highest number of any state. In contrast, there have only been 794 legal executions since statehood in 1817, 639 of them black males..

Rum_Pirate
12-31-2018, 11:21 AM
Interesting the responses.

However given the abhorrence shown about the current President of the USA one does wonder how many from this forum would attend his hanging if found guilty of treason that he is so often accused of here, if such a hanging were to be public?

Rich Jones
12-31-2018, 11:34 AM
Interesting the responses.

However given the abhorrence shown about the current President of the USA one does wonder how many from this forum would attend his hanging if found guilty of treason that he is so often accused of here, if such a hanging were to be public?
Simple answer? None. We would gleefully enjoy watching him be marched out of the White House by the FBI, but certainly don't wish him any physical harm. You should know us better then that.

oznabrag
12-31-2018, 11:40 AM
Simple answer? None. We would gleefully enjoy watching him be marched out of the White House by the FBI, but certainly don't wish him any physical harm. You should know us better then that.

I'd be front-rowing it.

Nixon's treason was pardoned 'for the good of the country', and as anyone can see it wasn't good for the country. It simply emboldened the 'Republican' Party's sedition.

Rich Jones
12-31-2018, 11:54 AM
I'd be front-rowing it.

Nixon's treason was pardoned 'for the good of the country', and as anyone can see it wasn't good for the country. It simply emboldened the 'Republican' Party's sedition.
tsk, tsk... We mustn't be that vengeful. I'd much rather see him humiliated for the rest of his miserable life then made a martyr for the far-right.

Paul Pless
12-31-2018, 12:12 PM

i'm with rich

oznabrag
12-31-2018, 12:14 PM
tsk, tsk... We mustn't be that vengeful. I'd much rather see him humiliated for the rest of his miserable life then made a martyr for the far-right.

As I have said many, many times before, it's a good thing I'm not in charge.

That said, I wonder how you can believe that humiliating him for the rest of his miserable life would NOT martyr him for the far right?

Those people are not rational, nor are they patriots. They will DEMONSTRABLY seize upon ANYTHING to frame themselves as 'oppressed' and 'treated unfairly'.

Pardoning Nixon was not NEARLY enough to placate those traitorous, seditious bursteds. They have been in a rage ever since.

Somehow, I have begun to believe that hanging the Traitor In Chief may precipitate their psychosis, but really it can't be worse than their anti-Constitutional behavior so far.

They have maxed out on the 'I'd rather be a Russian than a Democrat' scale.

They are irredeemable.

They must be stopped, or we can kiss our Constitution goodbye.

David G
12-31-2018, 12:15 PM
i'm with rich

In a tactical sense... I'd agree. No sense in creating a martyr. I mentioned before... the notion of exile.

In a personal sense... I'd have no trouble seeing him hanged if it came to that, but would have no burning desire to see the deed in person. But even if I didn't attend... I'd be happy to send a very nice letter saying I approved. <G>

oznabrag
12-31-2018, 12:15 PM
Besides, the deplorables represent only about 12% of the populace.

Rum_Pirate
12-31-2018, 12:18 PM
As I have said many, many times before, it's a good thing I'm not in charge. I shan't disagree with you. All the best for the New Year.

beernd
12-31-2018, 12:21 PM
Exile him to Russia, Putin will take care of the rest.

David G
12-31-2018, 12:27 PM
Besides, the deplorables represent only about 12% of the populace.

But there is a much larger number who are blithely unaware of how monumentally bad his behavior has been, and who probably would respond badly to harsh treatment. Partly in deference to the office itself. Partly in the spirit of false even-handedness. Partly out of squeamishness. Better to formulate some punishment that will bite, yet appear magnanimous. Not a simple 'pardon for the good of the country', I agree.

Art Haberland
12-31-2018, 12:36 PM
I would think prison for the rest of his life would suffice for most.

Chip-skiff
12-31-2018, 12:58 PM
I would think prison for the rest of his life would suffice for most.

I think a zoo would be more appropriate.

http://kwtri4b8r0ep8ho61118ipob.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/donald-trump-prison.jpg

Rich Jones
12-31-2018, 01:13 PM
I think any banter about stringing the guy up is silly and could bring on the disapproval of the Scot. Best to steer away from a possible bannable subject. I want everyone here for the New Year, not in camp.

Speaking of banned camp... Lindsey Graham would have ended up there. Yesterday, live on Meet the Press, he exclaimed "That is utter bulls**t!" to a question posed to him. For shame, Lindsey, for shame.

oznabrag
12-31-2018, 02:07 PM
I think any banter about stringing the guy up is silly and could bring on the disapproval of the Scot. Best to steer away from a possible bannable subject. I want everyone here for the New Year, not in camp.

Speaking of banned camp... Lindsey Graham would have ended up there. Yesterday, live on Meet the Press, he exclaimed "That is utter bulls**t!" to a question posed to him. For shame, Lindsey, for shame.

I'm not talking an extrajudicial lynching, I'm talking the ponderous workings of the Rule of Law.

The penalty for treason remains death, after all, but I don't think America has the stomach for it. Just like the war in Afghanistan. The only way to 'win' is to kill them all until the rest of them come out of the woodwork begging for mercy.

Sherman had a point.

The simple fact of the matter is that the Trump Crime Family has been committing Federal Felonies DAILY, since before the inauguration.

Are we just to give the bursteds a wan smile and the keys to the Treasury?

SERIOUSLY, folks.

Lew Barrett
12-31-2018, 03:26 PM
i'm with rich

Cut the tie short (no epaulets, buttons or insignia available for stripping since there's no military service record) and an appropriate stretch in genpop would be fine with me.

Paul Pless
12-31-2018, 03:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Utop2U6Zgo

Lew Barrett
12-31-2018, 03:31 PM
Precisely. Throw in a sewer crawl for good measure. Then make him do the warden's books.....forever!

Paul Pless
12-31-2018, 03:34 PM
Andy Dufresne was actually innocent. . .

woodpile
12-31-2018, 04:37 PM
All depends on who their hanging, if the illegal alien who just murdered the cop in Ca., if convicted, that left a wife and fatherless child, I'd have no objections.

purri
12-31-2018, 05:03 PM
it worked for Philby
Exile him to Russia, Putin will take care of the rest.

David G
01-04-2019, 12:04 AM
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/49558628_1975774175811839_558487993501876224_n.png ?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=384d993f5c7c93d6b7bccddf39a68785&oe=5CC00CEB

Peerie Maa
01-04-2019, 08:04 AM
I'm not talking an extrajudicial lynching, I'm talking the ponderous workings of the Rule of Law.

The penalty for treason remains death, after all, but I don't think America has the stomach for it. Just like the war in Afghanistan. The only way to 'win' is to kill them all until the rest of them come out of the woodwork begging for mercy.

Sherman had a point.

The simple fact of the matter is that the Trump Crime Family has been committing Federal Felonies DAILY, since before the inauguration.

Are we just to give the bursteds a wan smile and the keys to the Treasury?

SERIOUSLY, folks.

Think of why Queen Bess vacillated for so long over Queen Mary's dearth warrant.

LOCK HIM UP.

oznabrag
01-04-2019, 09:51 AM
Think of why Queen Bess vacillated for so long over Queen Mary's dearth warrant.

LOCK HIM UP.

As I understand it, Mary had no dearth of legitimate beef with England. The 'Republican' Party has no such excuse.

Ford didn't gaze at his navel for a few days and send Nixon to his 'dearth', he pardoned Nixon 'for the good of the country'.

The dimensions of Nixon's treason are still being revealed, if I understand it correctly, and his odious precedent has been exploited by EVERY 'REPUBLICAN' PRESIDENT SINCE.

It is entirely possible, in my opinion, that if Nixon had been sentenced to life in prison and if he had served that sentence, we wouldn't have this pack of brigands in the White House now. Sentencing Nixon to life in prison would have been LENIENT, as the prescribed sentence is to be hanged by the neck until dead. PARDONING him can only be described as punching Liberty in the gut. The scandalous pardon of that demonic traitor has bred an utter contempt for the Law.

If Donny TwoScoops is sent to the gallows blubbering, bawling and crapping his pants, then sent to the Hell he so richly deserves, then those who would commit fraud upon the US Government, or sell this Nation for a mess of pottage may rethink their direction.

If we are to be a Nation that respects the Rule of Law, then our leaders must respect the Rule Of Law.

If we have to hang the Treasonous bursteds to regain that trust, so be it.

Keith Wilson
01-04-2019, 10:30 AM
While I'm not a fan of Nixon, I don't think anything he did comes near the legal definition of 'treason'.

oznabrag
01-04-2019, 10:33 AM
While I'm not a fan of Nixon, I don't think anything he did comes near the legal definition of 'treason'.

LBJ disagreed.

Most historians now disagree.

Google 'nixon treason', if you want a broader view.

Keith Wilson
01-04-2019, 10:39 AM
Ah, you mean messing with the Vietnam negotiations before the '68 election. Could be. That didn't come out until much later, though, and AFAIK Gerald Ford knew nothing about it.

oznabrag
01-04-2019, 10:49 AM
Ah, you mean messing with the Vietnam negotiations before the '68 election. Could be. That didn't come out until much later, though, and AFAIK Gerald Ford knew nothing about it.

LBJ knew, and he was NOT pleased.

I don't even give a rip whether Ford knew or not. In the end, Nixon was pardoned for the highest of crimes, and his 'Republican' heirs have exploited that leniency ever since, culminating in the brazen collusion with a foreign power to castrate our election process.