PDA

View Full Version : What to do with an unfinished boat...

vrobinrose
10-22-2018, 03:11 PM
My late father built many seaworthy, strip-planked wooden sailboats over the years. The last one he built, but didn't finish, is sitting in a rollout cradle in my mother's garage. It is a Bahamian design, an adaptation of a Howard Chapelle plan, about 16 feet long. I have the original plans on paper. It doesn't need much more work. It's a perfect project for someone who is interested in owning a classic wooden sailboat and has the time and energy to finish it. This boat has already been fiberglassed, has ballast in it and there is a separate stepped mast. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to get it into the hands of someone who would enjoy finishing this treasure? 24949

johnw
10-22-2018, 03:25 PM
Is it a Bahama dinghy, or a miniature sharpshooter? Being able to describe the design will be helpful in finding a proper home for her.

Rich Jones
10-22-2018, 06:02 PM
Both WoodenBoat magazine and the WoodenBoat website has a classified section. The magazine also has a "free boat" section at the end of their classified section (free boat, free ad) if you want to give it away. You can also try Craigslist. I've sold several small boats that way.
However, it might not be too easy.
If you weren't so far away, I'd be tempted to snap it up.
Good luck!

Thorne
10-22-2018, 07:02 PM
You can also contact any nearby(ish) maritime museum and boatbuilding shops -- they often have great contacts with the local traditional boatbuilding folks and organizations.