PDA

View Full Version : do the new iphones need protective cases? and other related cellphone questions. . .

Paul Pless
10-18-2018, 02:59 PM
i hate cellphone cases

but even moreso i hate breaking my cellphone when i drop it, which is more often than i care to think about

on a related note, during my upcoming upgrade from an iphone 7 what other phones bear consideration? this is a tough nut to crack because i like my ipad and the sync feature and i ain't replacing my ipad with an android device

besides iphone i'm proficient in android; never used a google phone

Figment
10-18-2018, 03:07 PM
Yes. Hell yes. Primarily because the naked phone is slippery as owl ****. A case with some grippy rubber surfaces increases the phone's survivability 1000%
Also the little pop-out crutch thingy on mine just broke and it's like my world has ended I need to get to the phone place for a new one pronto.

Even more important IMHO is the good solid-plastic screen protector, installed dust-free by my guy at the phone place.

Paul Pless
10-18-2018, 03:10 PM
Yes. Hell yes. Primarily because the naked phone is slippery as owl ****. A case with some grippy rubber surfaces increases the phone's survivability 1000%

i actually like the slipperiness, when it comes to taking in and out of my pocket. . .

Even more important IMHO is the good solid-plastic screen protector, installed dust-free by my guy at the phone place.

of course

Canoez
10-18-2018, 03:12 PM
Upgrade FROM an 8? (Says guy who recently upgraded TO an 8)

I'm an Otterbox fan, frankly. Chunky and clunky, but good. The Defender series has let me keep an iPhone 5 from when they first came out until I retired it this year with no damage. When the phone is out of the case, you'd think it was new even after all of the abuse I've given it.

Paul Pless
10-18-2018, 03:14 PM
Upgrade FROM an 8? (Says guy who recently upgraded TO an 8)typo, sorry my current phone is a seven and i can get $490 on trade

Art Haberland
10-18-2018, 03:18 PM
not an iphone user, I have a galaxy S7 edge. Like said above, the new phones are slippery. The style is impeccable, but you have to hide it in a case if you expect it to survive more than a month. Makes me with apple and Samsung would offer a "ruggedized" version with all the bells and whistles. I would buy it.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
10-18-2018, 03:19 PM
Googlephones are android - usually made by Huawei - but with no extra baggage....

Garret
10-18-2018, 04:04 PM
Absolutely use a case. For your lifestyle you need a phone that'll handle bumps & drops & no naked phone will.

Watch how many folks in checkout lines who have cracked screens & no case. I've dropped mine from 10' up a ladder onto concrete with a good case.

StevenBauer
10-18-2018, 04:13 PM
Whatíre you going to get? And I thought you had an android tablet that you were raving about.
Iím trying to decide between an 8 with 256G of memory or an XR with 128G for $50 more. Either would be a big upgrade from my current 5S with 16G.
The reason to spend extra for the XR would be for the better camera features.

edited to add: and of course Iíll get a case even though I wish I didnít have to. And the glass screen protector not the plastic one.

Garret
10-18-2018, 04:41 PM
Michele has the original X (bought last year) & the camera is pretty amazing.

I'm about to bump from a 6 to an 8 - as I don't need that fancy a phone.

Paul Pless
10-18-2018, 04:59 PM
And I thought you had an android tablet that you were raving about. i switched to ipad and then to an ipad pro a while back, three years or so

John Smith
10-18-2018, 05:19 PM
My phone's battery appears to have died. I got a message this AM about an update. Picked the phone up an hour later, and she's dead as the proverbial door knob.

LeeG
10-18-2018, 05:34 PM
I have a hinge phone, thinking of getting a smarty phone but isnít that how the deep state monitors your activities?

Right now I have a cat on my lap, imagine another time when cats are cell phones that would provide telepathic links. Poor service, not enough lap cats.

Joe (SoCal)
10-18-2018, 05:36 PM
OK so Paul you know I'm a fanboy but I've never cracked or broken an iphone. I keep mine in a case, currently a Rokform Case. It has a POWERFUL magnet that I can stick it on a magnet on my car, vespa, gym equipment, fridge anything metal. I also have one of those tempered glass screen protectors. They are pricey but I have unlimited replacement and I go in the phone store at least once every other month and have a new one put on.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1384/0075/products/ROKFORM-iX-FuzionPRo-GunMetal-Image01_ded303f9-0fc4-4d02-9872-17bc718ae6e8_2048x.jpg?v=1536774576

I recently upgraded to the X but wish I had waited for the the XS Max. My only complaint is the notch - other than that the speed, camera and functions are flawless.

Here is the mount I just put on the new Rosŗ Vespa 300 GTV

Dave Wright
10-18-2018, 05:54 PM
Is that a windshield on your Vespa? I found a used windshield for my 150 cc Vespa in the late 1960's. My record was riding to work in 11 degrees below zero F. I had to keep the Vespa in the hallway of the apartment house that night to get it started, but it never let me down. I learned to love that windshield.

Joe (SoCal)
10-18-2018, 05:59 PM
Is that a windshield on your Vespa? I found a used windshield for my 150 cc Vespa in the late 1960's. My record was riding to work in 11 degrees below zero F. I had to keep the Vespa in the hallway of the apartment house that night to get it started, but it never let me down. I learned to love that windshield.

Yup - But living in SoCal I bought it for the phone :)

https://scontent.fhhr1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/44234921_10214854019797498_1941016748945833984_n.j pg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent.fhhr1-2.fna&oh=ee72ed0d507d3f4afdf19122d11d6d9e&oe=5C55509C

David G
10-18-2018, 07:09 PM
Absolutely use a case. For your lifestyle you need a phone that'll handle bumps & drops & no naked phone will.

Watch how many folks in checkout lines who have cracked screens & no case. I've dropped mine from 10' up a ladder onto concrete with a good case.

Not quite true. I have learned to live with the limitations of the Motorola MotoG because it will handle being abused. Good for deeper in the water than I'm liable to retrieve it from. Mostly dustproof. Has shown that it'll take being dropped off a ladder onto concrete. Working in the shop, climbing around in bilges, and dinghy sailing... all of those are quite important.

Bobby of Tulsa
10-18-2018, 08:29 PM
I had a dumb phone, A Samsung rugby. It survived being dropped in the water thrown at the wall and a couple of other anger things. It worked for me, it wore out after about five years. It was the one that looked like a little dewalt tool or a Caterpillar thing.

ron ll
10-18-2018, 08:54 PM
I’ve had an iPhone of some type since the second day they first went on sale (literally). I’ve never had a case, never had any damage. Until tomorrow, now that I’ve bragged.

lupussonic
10-19-2018, 02:05 AM
Paul, google 'Lifeproof'. Water, dust, shock proof, and they add very little to the overall size. I've had one that's been up countless trees, oil rigs, been sailing and survived boat building and various other phone deadly activities.

john l
10-19-2018, 02:46 AM
I've been using Incipio cases. They generally last about 4 years before a thin spot on or near vol buttons break. It has a inner and outer cover. Very functional and decent looking.with good grip. Not as big or heavy as otter box. Overall thickness = .435". My iPhone 6 is just about 5years old a fireplaces case a few months ago

Figment
10-19-2018, 08:08 AM
Joe that magnet case seems handy, but does the magnet cause problems elsewhere? do you need to keep your credit cards in your other pocket?

Norman Bernstein
10-19-2018, 08:18 AM
Like Paul, I hate phone cases... only started using one when I got the iPhone 6s, which is what I have now.

I really didn't need one before; the previous iPhone models with the square edges were FAR less slippery, than the iPhone 6s rounded edges. One unfortunate aspect of Apple is that they will so often concede to style, even when it is in opposition to functionality.

Paul Pless
10-19-2018, 08:19 AM
Imagine how that magnetic would work out next to my drill press or grinder.

Norman Bernstein
10-19-2018, 08:26 AM
Pless, get an Apple watch.... with it, you don't have to pull your phone out of your pocket to answer a phone call! :)

(Seriously, even though Apple is the company I love to hate, I DO like the Apple Watch.... but, primarily, for its ability to do Apple Pay. I use it nearly every day, when I grab a salad at the supermarket, for lunch... and merely have to twist my wrist near the terminal, to pay for it!)

oznabrag
10-19-2018, 08:45 AM
Aren't those new, thousand-dollar ego-strokers made outta glass?

WTF?

If I wanted to waste money on something that doesn't make any sense, I'd buy my girlie a diamond or some such.

amish rob
10-19-2018, 08:46 AM
I have seen an iPhone with an otter case take a line drive softball from 30 feet away.

The chapstick tube in the same pocket exploded, and I mean exploded! Shrapnel and goo was all that was left. The iPhone BENT, but did not crack, anywhere. Even the screen...

I then watched the replacement phone drop from atop a full sized Chevy pickup roof at speed onto a freeway onramp. Recovered from the shoulder, she’s good to go!

Coach has bad luck!

Peace,
Not An Apple

oznabrag
10-19-2018, 08:51 AM
I had a couple of Otter cases, and decided they were garbage.

The little plug for the charger hole just went away after a month or so.

I now use those cheap, Asian jobs with a metal frame that screws together to enclose the phone in a blanket of silicone and Gorilla Glass.

Big, clunky, and effective. Sorta like me.

Dave Hadfield
10-19-2018, 08:55 AM
I bought a case which has a large battery built in for my iphone7. Works great. The size only increases a little bit, but it lasts all day.

And the extra weight is good, makes you less likely to drop it.

ron ll
10-19-2018, 10:02 AM
iPhone case.

David G
10-19-2018, 10:16 AM
I’ve had an iPhone of some type since the second day they first went on sale (literally). I’ve never had a case, never had any damage. Until tomorrow, now that I’ve bragged.

You lead a sheltered life, it seems. Mine would have been busted within a week. Both of my boys have iphones. They've given up replacing them because of cracked screens... and just live with 'em until they die.

Tom Wilkinson
10-19-2018, 10:21 AM
Battery case is the way to go. Working 12+ hour days with lots of phone use and never worrying about charging is nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StevenBauer
10-19-2018, 10:32 AM
iPhone case.

Phone in a shirt pocket? Nooo! Brings back memories of the phone bouncing off the edge of the dock just before it gently sank to the bottom of the bay. Lean down to tie a dock line - there goes the phone.

oznabrag
10-19-2018, 10:35 AM
You lead a sheltered life, it seems. Mine would have been busted within a week. Both of my boys have iphones. They've given up replacing them because of cracked screens... and just live with 'em until they die.

You can get wunna dese for less than $20.

Screws together around the phone.

Works.

http://icompositions.info/wp-content/images_3/obzor_chehla_lunatik_taktik_extreme_brutalnaja_kot leta-6.jpg
Y

ron ll
10-19-2018, 10:42 AM
Phone in a shirt pocket? Nooo! Brings back memories of the phone bouncing off the edge of the dock just before it gently sank to the bottom of the bay. Lean down to tie a dock line - there goes the phone.

That's why all my shirts have a button flap like the picture. I check to make sure it is buttoned before I reach over to flush the toilet. Seriously.
(Actually I think the one in the picture is a snap, mine are all buttons.)

Ted Hoppe
10-19-2018, 10:58 AM
iPhone case.

You are welcome to do your own research on cell phones and atrial fibrillation. Let your wife finish the study.

ron ll
10-19-2018, 12:40 PM
You are welcome to do your own research on cell phones and atrial fibrillation. Let your wife finish the study.

Buzzkill. :)

Old Dryfoot
10-19-2018, 01:23 PM
Buy a phone that comes in its own protective case. After slapping a screen protector on it this one has gone to work with everyday for more that year and is still working flawlessly. I paid 160 US for it.

IP-68
droid 7.0
8 core/2.6 ghz
6gb/128gb
4g/lte
dual active sims
tf memory slot
5" full hd screen
4200mA battery

Still supported?
Yup, my last update came about two weeks back.

Will I buy the next iteration?
Yup!

https://i2.wp.com/www.pdevice.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Blackview-BV9500-Pro-428x428.jpg

Just waiting for a sale. . .
http://www.blackview.hk/blackview-304/