PDA

View Full Version : Another fascinating Brit TV series: "Suspects"

Norman Bernstein
10-18-2018, 09:06 AM
Continuing with my fascination (perhaps obsession is a better word) with British cop procedural dramas, I wandered across a new one (to me), entitled "Suspects".

This series is VERY different from all other Brit cop dramas; it explores a story exclusively from the perspective of the police, using handheld cameras and improvised dialogue. According to the wiki, the actors were given no script.... just a 'storyline', from which they construct their own dialogue.

In many respects, this is reminiscent of "Homicide: Life on the Street", the US cop drama from the late 90's which, in my opinion, is the finest American series of it's kind. "Homicide" was filmed using hand-held 16mm cameras, giving it a gritty, realistic look.... "Suspects" is a lot like this, although the cameras are HD.

The other remarkable thing about the series is the 'police-centric' point of view, in which the viewer sees only what the police see, giving a far greater appreciation for the art of detective work.

I've just finished Season 1 (of 5 seasons), in which each episode was 'stand-alone', although from the wiki, it appears that this is not necessarily the case with subsequent seasons.

Definitely one of the better Brit TV shows, and worth watching.... if you can find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE62lygzRjs

Norman Bernstein
10-18-2018, 09:08 AM
BTW: I'm told that the series is available on Acorn TV, for those of you who are subscribers.

SKIP KILPATRICK
10-18-2018, 09:15 AM
Norman,

On your suggestion we started watching "Tunnel" on Amazon Prime. We've see the first two episodes, they were chilling and captivating!

Thanks for the recommendation!

Norman Bernstein
10-18-2018, 09:18 AM
Norman,

On your suggestion we started watching "Tunnel" on Amazon Prime. We've see the first two episodes, they were chilling and captivating!

Thanks for the recommendation!

My pleasure.... glad you liked it!

If the Brit cop show thing appeals to you (and 'The Tunnel' was certainly a good one), then let me suggest a couple which I think are the finest ones available:

"Happy Valley"
"Shetland"

Both of those were among the best of the genre that I've seen. They may be available on Amazon Prime, Netflix, Acorn, or on demand via PBS... or if you can't find them, PM me.

SKIP KILPATRICK
10-18-2018, 09:20 AM
Thanks, We have watched Shetland and I'll check out Happy Valley.

Norman Bernstein
10-18-2018, 09:22 AM
Thanks, We have watched Shetland and I'll check out Happy Valley.

I should add 'Line of Duty' to that short list.... a fabulous show.

ccmanuals
10-18-2018, 09:24 AM
Been watching this, "Mystery Road" which is shot Australia. The scenery is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_nR8BEnnA4