PDA

View Full Version : Odd article

sleek
10-14-2018, 03:20 PM
https://www.dailywire.com/news/36904/uh-oh-environmentalists-un-climate-change-group-hank-berrien?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=062316-news&utm_campaign=benshapiro

David G
10-14-2018, 03:26 PM
Weren't we just talking about 'unreliable sources'?

Jimmy W
10-14-2018, 03:44 PM
STATEMENT TO THE
COMMITTEE ON GOVERNMENT REFORM
OF THE UNITED STATES HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
Roger A. Pielke, Jr.
Center for Science and Technology Policy Research
University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado
pielke@colorado.edu

Human-caused climate change is real and requires attention by policy
makers to both mitigation and adaptation – but there is no quick fix; the
issue will be with us for decades and longer.
Nothing in this testimony should be interpreted
as contradicting the assessment of climate
change science provided by Working Group I of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).

The IPCC has concluded that greenhouse gas emissions resulting from
human activity are an important driver of changes in climate. And on this basis alone I
am personally convinced that it makes sense to take action to limit greenhouse gas
emissions. Of course, the answer to “what action?” is not at all straightforward. (e.g., on
what timescales, at what costs, with what consequences, with what foregone
opportunities? etc.) One of the important messages of the IPCC is that there is no quick
fix to issues of climate change. In its most recent report the IPCC concluded,
“Anthropogenic climate change will persist for many centuries.”

More recent research has concluded that even under a hypothetical
instantaneous curtailment of emissions, the world is committed to some degree of climate change into the future.

Much more here: https://sciencepolicy.colorado.edu/admin/publication_files/resource-2466-2006.09.pdf

Jim Bow
10-14-2018, 04:29 PM
Incheon, Republic of Korea, October 8 – Limiting global warming to 1.5°C would require rapid, far-reaching and unprecedented changes in all aspects of society, the IPCC said in a new assessment. With clear benefits to people and natural ecosystems, limiting global warming to 1.5°C compared to 2°C could go hand in hand with ensuring a more sustainable and equitable society, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) said on Monday.

The Special Report on Global Warming of 1.5°C was approved by the IPCC on Saturday in Incheon, Republic of Korea. It will be a key scientific input into the Katowice Climate Change Conference in Poland in December, when governments review the Paris Agreement to tackle climate change.

"With more than 6,000 scientific references cited and the dedicated contribution of thousands of expert and government reviewers worldwide, this important report testifies to the breadth and policy relevance of the IPCC," said Hoesung Lee, Chair of the IPCC.

https://www.ipcc.ch/news_and_events/pr_181008_P48_spm.shtml

David G
10-14-2018, 04:52 PM
https://www.dailywire.com/news/36904/uh-oh-environmentalists-un-climate-change-group-hank-berrien?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=062316-news&utm_campaign=benshapiro

Weren't we just talking about 'unreliable sources'?

How's THIS for an idea?

How about you do your homework before speaking up?

How about you quit wasting everyone's time doing your homework for you?

skuthorp
10-14-2018, 05:01 PM
Have some charity, sleek and his issue are going to be effected by climate change whether they believe in it or not. In fact they all ready are. The planet doesn't care, though it may be thinking about shaking off its parasites.

sleek
10-14-2018, 06:05 PM
Im hoping climate change is real. Who doesnt want a tropical paradise with water everywhere and increased fauna?

David G
10-14-2018, 06:13 PM
When one consistently offers nothing of substance to the conversation... that's the surest way to my Ignore List. Some have accused me of giving people too much rope before I write them off... but I always want to make sure... and be fair. Always want to give people the opportunity to show they can be something other than a dingbat. But there comes a point. First in quite a while. Impressive work, sleek.

Dannybb55
10-14-2018, 06:52 PM
When West Antarctica finishes sliding into the ocean, sea level is going to rise highest south of India and just off the coast of Maryland and Virginia. DC water park.

sleek
10-14-2018, 07:08 PM
I legitimately dont see the big deal. It floods the coast. So what? Humans will adapt, always have. Of course my nonchalant attitude stems from a disbelief in human caused global warming. I do believe in being good keepees of the earth though.

DaveG, i enjoy boats and their construction, i only ask you not put me on ignore because above the bilge, you may have valuable information and input idd like to discuss with you.

C. Ross
10-14-2018, 07:36 PM
I legitimately dont see the big deal. It floods the coast. So what? Humans will adapt, always have. Of course my nonchalant attitude stems from a disbelief in human caused global warming. I do believe in being good keepees of the earth though.

There's people who believe in a flat earth, too.

Global Climate Change has a scientific consensus. Why would you turn to a guy whom studies FIFA and the NCAA as a climate expert?

ROGER PIELKE, JR.Sports Governance Center
University of Colorado
372 UCB
Boulder, CO 80309-0372
pielke@colorado.edu

Roger Pielke, Jr. has been on the faculty of the University of Colorado since 2001. He is the director of the Sports Governance Center within the Department of Athletics. Roger’s research focuses on science, innovation and politics. In 2011 he began to write and research on the governance of sports organizations, including FIFA and the NCAA. Roger holds degrees in mathematics, public policy and political science, all from the University of Colorado. In 2012 Roger was awarded an honorary doctorate from Linköping University in Sweden and was also awarded the Public Service Award of the Geological Society of America. Roger also received the Eduard Brückner Prize in Munich, Germany in 2006 for outstanding achievement in interdisciplinary climate research. Before joining the faculty of the University of Colorado, from 1993-2001 Roger was a Scientist at the National Center for Atmospheric Research. He is also author, co-author or co-editor of seven books, including The Honest Broker: Making Sense of Science in Policy and Politics (https://www.amazon.com/Honest-Broker-Making-Science-Politics/dp/0521694817/) published by Cambridge University Press (2007), The Climate Fix: What Scientists and Politicians Won’t Tell you About Global Warming (https://www.amazon.com/Climate-Fix-Scientists-Politicians-Warming/dp/0465025196/) (2010, Basic Books) and The Rightful Place of Science: Disasters and Climate Change (https://www.amazon.com/Rightful-Place-Science-Disasters-Climate/dp/0692297510/) (2014, Consortium for Science, Policy & Outcomes). His most recent book is The Edge: The War Against Cheating and Corruption in the Cutthroat World of Elite Sports (https://www.amazon.com/The-Edge-Cheating-Corruption-Cutthroat/dp/1938901576) (Roaring Forties Press, 2016).

S.V. Airlie
10-14-2018, 08:25 PM

This is one of the stupidest posts I've seen since I joined 13 yrs ago.The ignorance is mind blowing!

Jimmy W
10-14-2018, 09:36 PM
The majority of scientists in the world have concluded that greenhouse gas emissions resulting from
human activity are an important driver of changes in climate, but I don't want to admit that, so as long as I can find another fool that will say what I want to hear, I will listen to them instead and don't care if they have been proven to be liars.

Jimmy W
10-15-2018, 01:16 AM
im hoping climate change is real. Who doesnt want a tropical paradise with water everywhere and increased fungi?
ftfy

Peerie Maa
10-15-2018, 03:33 AM
[QUOTE=sleek;5697517Of course my nonchalant attitude stems from a disbelief in human caused global warming. [/QUOTE]

Do you believe in cell phones? Do you believe in aeroplanes? Do you believe in refrigerators?

LeeG
10-15-2018, 03:50 AM

DaveG, i enjoy boats and their construction, i only ask you not put me on ignore because above the bilge, you may have valuable information and input idd like to discuss with you.

Climate science doesn’t require belief to work. If your concept of being a “good steward” of the Earth, as problematic as that statement is , relies on ignoring science in preference for belief then all you’re caring for is a story and not reality.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Daily_Wire

The Daily Wire is an American conservative news and opinion website founded in 2015 by political commentator Ben Shapiro.[2] He currently serves as editor-in-chief,[3][4] Michael Knowles is managing editor, and Jeremy Boreing is Chief Operating Officer.

In addition to its written content, the site produces The Ben Shapiro Show, The Michael Knowles Show, The Matt Walsh Show, and The Andrew Klavan Show.[6] The Ben Shapiro Show webcast predates The Daily Wire.[7][8]

The Daily Wire has published a number of articles doubting that climate change is occurring and that humans contribute to climate change. Experts have described the articles as inaccurate and misleading.[13][14]

Chris249
10-15-2018, 04:06 AM
I legitimately dont see the big deal. It floods the coast. So what? Humans will adapt, always have.

That is a revolting attitude. To show so little care for the people who may lose their land, their lives and perhaps even their entire country is psychotic, smug and arrogant beyond belief.

PeterSibley
10-15-2018, 04:45 AM
He has money, he's American, he's never heard of Bangladesh or doesn't believe it exists.

callsign222
10-15-2018, 08:52 AM
Lol guy promoting his hooey book and his tweets are used as an "article."

David G
10-15-2018, 08:56 AM
How's THIS for an idea?

LeeG
10-15-2018, 09:16 AM
Im hoping climate change is real. Who doesnt want a tropical paradise with water everywhere and increased fauna?

One of the factors contributing to Syria’s civil war was a large flow of rural population to urban areas as farming sufferered from a historically deep drought. So water won’t be “everywhere” with increased fauna.

sleek
10-15-2018, 06:49 PM
One of the factors contributing to Syria’s civil war was a large flow of rural population to urban areas as farming sufferered from a historically deep drought. So water won’t be “everywhere” with increased fauna.

So, i can see how migration of people moving inland would affect territory of others and cause conflict. However seeing as this is such a slow event, i dont believe we are looling at a mass quick migration, but perhaps, more like the parents live their but the children would populate other areas.

The cry of global warming has been going on for so long, with so little results, that at the pace its advertised of having gone, i see no problems.

As for the drought, id have to be taught why more water means drought. The earth used to be 100% tropical. Why wouldnt that happen again?

sleek
10-15-2018, 07:07 PM
Also, i read that the bearing straight was a land bridge accessible due to lower sea levels from water locked in ice age sheets and glaciers. Then it disappeared due to a natural warming cycle. The ocean rose 400 feet in 20k years apparently, naturally. But now its not? According ti some scientist it rose as much as 10 feet per century. Why am i to believe we are causing a mm or so per year rise? Not to mention there are artifacts of civilizations completely underwater. We didnt do that and neither did they, it happened before fossile fuels, so what gives?

johnw
10-15-2018, 07:19 PM
So, i can see how migration of people moving inland would affect territory of others and cause conflict. However seeing as this is such a slow event, i dont believe we are looling at a mass quick migration, but perhaps, more like the parents live their but the children would populate other areas.

The cry of global warming has been going on for so long, with so little results, that at the pace its advertised of having gone, i see no problems.

As for the drought, id have to be taught why more water means drought. The earth used to be 100% tropical. Why wouldnt that happen again?
Are you under the impression that rising sea levels will result in more crops? I'm not sure what you mean by 'more water' otherwise.

We won't really get more water. Ice sheets will melt, sea levels will rise, but the amount of water is the same. Meanwhile, the increasing heat will change the rain patterns, and areas like where I live, that have relied on snow on the mountains melting all summer to supply the water we use, will have to find a way to store water that doesn't involve snow.

Already, the forest fires have been wiping out huge numbers of trees, to the point where the air was worse in Seattle last summer than in Beijing.

If you really want to be educated, here's a pretty good book on the topic.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51Zjazgl2TL._SX310_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

johnw
10-15-2018, 07:22 PM
Also, i read that the bearing straight was a land bridge accessible due to lower sea levels from water locked in ice age sheets and glaciers. Then it disappeared due to a natural warming cycle. The ocean rose 400 feet in 20k years apparently, naturally. But now its not? According ti some scientist it rose as much as 10 feet per century. Why am i to believe we are causing a mm or so per year rise? Not to mention there are artifacts of civilizations completely underwater. We didnt do that and neither did they, it happened before fossile fuels, so what gives?

10 feet per year over 20,000 years would be 200,000 feet, so I think there's something wrong with the information you're getting.

sleek
10-15-2018, 07:24 PM
Are you under the impression that rising sea levels will result in more crops? I'm not sure what you mean by 'more water' otherwise.

We won't really get more water. Ice sheets will melt, sea levels will rise, but the amount of water is the same. Meanwhile, the increasing heat will change the rain patterns, and areas like where I live, that have relied on snow on the mountains melting all summer to supply the water we use, will have to find a way to store water that doesn't involve snow.

Already, the forest fires have been wiping out huge numbers of trees, to the point where the air was worse in Seattle last summer than in Beijing.

If you really want to be educated, here's a pretty good book on the topic.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51Zjazgl2TL._SX310_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I mean that as the planet warms, more wet water happens than frozen. That evaporates more as temps rise, elevating humidity and cloud cover, and clouds make rain, so it should be warm, and rainy. That would also raise water tables.

As for snow melt, yeah, thats gonna change. But again, water tables and aquifers.

sleek
10-15-2018, 07:24 PM
10 feet per year over 20,000 years would be 200,000 feet, so I think there's something wrong with the information you're getting.

Sorry, incomplete thought. It happened in spurts apparantly.

LeeG
10-15-2018, 07:29 PM
I mean that as the planet warms, more wet water happens than frozen. That evaporates more as temps rise, elevating humidity and cloud cover, and clouds make rain, so it should be warm, and rainy. That would also raise water tables.

As for snow melt, yeah, thats gonna change. But again, water tables and aquifers.

what happens in an average rise in global temperature does not mean a uniformity of weather conditions throughout the globe. Some places wetter, some places hotter, some places with more extremes. It’s the rate of change that’s the problem.

Flying Orca
10-15-2018, 07:32 PM

You know, if you aren't deliberately setting out to sound like like an ignorant doofus, you might want to educate yourself as to the actual impacts of climate change. This is a very good place to start (http://ipcc.ch/pdf/assessment-report/ar5/wg2/ar5_wgII_spm_en.pdf).

If you are deliberately setting out to sound like an ignorant doofus, carry on.

David G
10-15-2018, 07:39 PM
How's THIS for an idea?

OR... if you're ignorant and have questions, come in from that perspective...

sleek
10-15-2018, 07:47 PM
How's THIS for an idea?

OR... if you're ignorant and have questions, come in from that perspective...

Damnit man, I post because i want others opinions, and I state that often. I need to make this a tag line.

Im not trolling, im just posting for input. Quit trying to attack me. It gets tiresome.i see a topic, it piques my interest, I post, I wait to see who says what. Then get blasted for not already knowing.

If everybody here already kmew everything, woukd yall just post and sit around nodding and agreeing with eachother? Is that utopia for you guys? I mean, sh!t, whats wrong with this place?

Flying Orca
10-15-2018, 07:50 PM
OK, so go read my link, and you'll know more about the expected impacts of climate change. You might even have a handle on why it appears to be a Bad Thing for a lot of people, for the world's economy, and if it's bad enough, for our civilization.

johnw
10-15-2018, 07:54 PM

I think you might want to know a little more before you decide you know enough to model the impact of climate change. Some places will get more rain, resulting in floods. Some will get less, resulting in droughts. The result will be that life will be a lot harder for a lot of people, and the carrying capacity of the land will be diminished. When that happens, people die. By the way, if the sea level rises 200 ft., North America will look like this:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/content/dam/magazine/rights-exempt/2013/09/rising-seas/01-ice-melt-north-america.adapt.1900.1.jpg

So don't buy land in Florida. Also, Bangladesh would be pretty much entirely under water, as would a great deal of agricultural land.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2013/09/rising-seas-ice-melt-new-shoreline-maps/

Part of the problem is that CO2 levels are changing a lot more than rapidly than they did during the Permian Extinction, when they built up over 20,000 years. That was about 250 million years ago, and about 90% of all species went extinct at that time. If you're thinking, "90% of species are going to go extinct again, huh? I like those odds!" then I think you might be wise to consider the possibility that you are wrong.

johnw
10-15-2018, 07:57 PM
Sorry, incomplete thought. It happened in spurts apparantly.

Thank heavens, there wouldn't have been any land above water at all with the seas that deep.

David G
10-15-2018, 07:59 PM
Damnit man, I post because i want others opinions, and I state that often. I need to make this a tag line.

Im not trolling, im just posting for input. Quit trying to attack me. It gets tiresome.i see a topic, it piques my interest, I post, I wait to see who says what. Then get blasted for not already knowing.

If everybody here already kmew everything, woukd yall just post and sit around nodding and agreeing with eachother? Is that utopia for you guys? I mean, sh!t, whats wrong with this place?

That's a great attitude - wanting to learn.

If posting the article in the OP is your way of asking a question... you suck at asking questions. Pronouncements are not questions. Posting ignorant, easily disprovable, claptrap is not soliciting information. Getting defensive or 'cute' when you are corrected is not a path to knowledge. Refusing to do your own initial research when something 'piques your interest' is the m.o. of a lazy dilletante. Posting such dreck without the disclaimer that it made you wonder, and you want to know if it's legit... is doomed to much deserved disparagement.

Follow?

johnw
10-15-2018, 08:07 PM
That's a great attitude - wanting to learn.

If posting the article in the OP is your way of asking a question... you suck at asking questions. Pronouncements are not questions. Posting ignorant, easily disprovable, claptrap is not soliciting information. Getting defensive or 'cute' when you are corrected is not a path to knowledge. Refusing to do your own initial research when something 'piques your interest' is the m.o. of a lazy dilletante. Posting such dreck without the disclaimer that it made you wonder, and you want to know if it's legit... is doomed to much deserved disparagement.

Follow?
Not everyone knows how to do research, and the article he cited was clearly intended to deceive anyone who read it. So, he got deceived. Can we help him become undeceived?

Jimmy W
10-15-2018, 08:08 PM
Try reading this: https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

S.V. Airlie
10-15-2018, 08:15 PM
Not everyone knows how to do research, and the article he cited was clearly intended to deceive anyone who read it. So, he got deceived. Can we help him become undeceived?I've been chuckling over sleeks post on another thread. JohnW by his own words, he never graduated from high school. Not necessarily something to hold against him but, at 35 (again his words) one would have made an effort to learn something.

My mother had just a HS diploma (depression, father dead) but, she read books, lots of books, wrote a few in fact. She never stopped educating herself and in many ways, she could hold her own with the best of them.

johnw
10-15-2018, 08:23 PM
I've been chuckling over sleeks post on another thread. JohnW by his own words, he never graduated from high school. Not necessarily something to hold against him but, at 35 (again his words) one would have made an effort to learn something.

My mother had just a HS diploma (depression, father dead) but, she read books, lots of books, wrote a few in fact. She never stopped educating herself and in many ways, she could hold her own with the best of them.
My maternal grandfather graduated from high school at the age of 72. He lived to be 104, and wrote a book when he was 90.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51VBD0H1QML._SY300_.jpg

It's never too late to learn, until you're dead.

S.V. Airlie
10-15-2018, 08:26 PM
John W, you're supporting my point.Long lived fella your grandfather. Good for him!

johnw
10-15-2018, 08:34 PM
John W, you're supporting my point.Long lived fella your grandfather. Good for him!
I've known a lot of smart people who didn't have a lot of education, and it seems to me that the toughest thing is to learn how to learn.