PDA

View Full Version : Want to change Washington?

Rum_Pirate
10-08-2018, 07:20 AM
Don't yell at Senators

Don't shout at people in restaurants

Don't rage on past votes

Don't whine about things

Instead:

Register to vote, if you haven't already.
If you think you are registered, check that you are still on the register.
Get your friends to do the same.
VOTE !
Get your friends to do the same.

You will get your chance to change Washington (and the USA) in less than 30 days.

Paul Pless
10-08-2018, 07:34 AM
ur funny

Paul Pless
10-08-2018, 07:34 AM
^ and not 'haha' funny. . .

Bob Adams
10-08-2018, 07:52 AM
I can't argue with the OP.

Rum_Pirate
10-08-2018, 07:54 AM
It is a serious matter.

BTW Paul, and the rest you in the US, have you checked that you are actually on the voting register?

Paul Pless
10-08-2018, 08:08 AM
yelling at senators is one symptom and a minor one at that when the voting public becomes disenfranchised from their elected representatives

disenfranchised by special interest groups and money, especially corporate interests and money

senators don't serve the public anylonger and in many ways deserve to be yelled at

please note your argument is a straw man, what were there? a thousand protestors in the capitol exercising their right of civil disobedience? compare that to how many people actually go vote in a few weeks. . .

S.V. Airlie
10-08-2018, 08:11 AM
Yelling at Senators is the only thing that gets through to them. When you write them all you get is a generic letter back saying they feel your pain!

Rum_Pirate
10-08-2018, 08:12 AM
yelling at senators is one symptom and a minor one at that when the voting public becomes disenfranchised from their elected representatives

disenfranchised by special interest groups and money, especially corporate interests and money

senators don't serve the public anylonger and in many ways deserve to be yelled at

please note your argument is a straw man, what were there? a thousand protestors in the capitol exercising their right of civil disobedience? compare that to how many people actually go vote in a few weeks. . .
Thank you for underlining exactly why the actions described in the OP are important.

PS Have you checked that you are actually on the voting register?

ccmanuals
10-08-2018, 08:14 AM
Everything is binary with reds. It always seems to be either/or with them.

Rum_Pirate
10-08-2018, 08:15 AM
Yelling at Senators is the only thing that gets through to them. When you write them all you get is a generic letter back saying they feel your pain!

Yelling doesn't do it. They can't hear you - double glazing etc.

Suggest that your vote and the others that elects/ejects them is the only thing that gets through to them.

amish rob
10-08-2018, 08:16 AM
Whatís wrong with Washington? Itís just up there, hanging out with Oregon and Canada.

Peace,
Robert

Rum_Pirate
Want to change Washington?
Post anonymously from a third rate foreign country to an internet forum.

Well apparently it worked for the Russians. :dLOL:d

S.V. Airlie
Thank you for underlining exactly why the actions described in the OP are important.

PS Have you checked that you are actually on the voting register?I am! This year alone I've voted in 3 primaries for races at different level, state or federal. I only wish the state would bundle them all into one and have one day to vote for all of them. And if you want positive change, don't vote for Trump who doesn't have your interests at heart.

Rum_Pirate
10-08-2018, 08:17 AM
What’s wrong with Washington? It’s just up there, hanging out with Oregon and Canada.

Peace,
Robert

In the event that you are not aware :

Like the Senate, the House of Representatives meets in the United States Capitol in Washington, D.C.

Rum_Pirate
10-08-2018, 08:19 AM
I am! This year alone I've voted in 3 primaries for races at different level, state or federal. I only wish the state would bundle them all into one and have one day to vote for all of them. And if you want positive change, don't vote for Trump who doesn't have your interests at heart.
Well done.

Now try and get everyone you know, one even those you don't, do the same. Y>

Rum_Pirate
10-08-2018, 08:20 AM
Everything is binary with reds. It always seems to be either/or with them. :confused: Have you read the posts of the 'blues'(?) on this forum?

amish rob
10-08-2018, 08:20 AM
In the event that you are not aware :

Oh, yeah, thanks. I didnít know you were talking about Washington DC.

We have two, you know? Did you know that?

Specificity, and all.

Plus, it was a joke. True, it had no slurs, bad stereotypes, or put downs, but some humor gets by without. In the event you were not aware.

Peace,
Robert

Paul Pless
10-08-2018, 08:22 AM

I voted a few weeks ago troll.

S.V. Airlie
10-08-2018, 08:23 AM
Well done.

Now try and get everyone you know, one even those you don't, do the same. Y>In a red county, the last thing I want to do is tell them to vote. They're most likely vote Red whoever is on the ballot!

Rum_Pirate
10-08-2018, 08:25 AM
In a red county, the last thing I want to do is tell them to vote. They're most likely vote Red whoever is on the ballot! Well it is up to you to encourage and get like minded people to vote.

What is the turn out in your county?

S.V. Airlie
10-08-2018, 08:28 AM
Well it is up to you to encourage and get like minded people to vote.

What is the turn out in your county?Believe me, we've had a greater Democratic turnout even in the primaries, we've had in years but, they are intelligent, educated and realize that Trump and his cronies are full of hot air and are all POS's.

Shang
10-08-2018, 08:38 AM
Our Absentee Ballots came in the mail several weeks ago. We filled them out and mailed them in the next day.

Vote against every Republican for every office.

Rum_Pirate
10-08-2018, 08:41 AM
Our Absentee Ballots came in the mail several weeks ago. We filled them out and mailed them in the next day.

Vote against every Republican for every office.
It sounds like it would be too late now for anyone to register for this election.

Paul Pless
10-08-2018, 08:44 AM
It sounds like it would be too late now for anyone to register for this election.
More false information from our offshore right wing troll.

S.V. Airlie
10-08-2018, 08:45 AM
It sounds like it would be too late now for anyone to register for this election.Depends on the state. If too many democrats register, Republicans will do one of two things, gerrymander the districts in favor of Republicans or even simpler, close the precinct they'd vote at. It's the GOP way!

LeeG
10-08-2018, 08:47 AM
Want to change how news is portrayed? Stop reposting right wing Republican drivel. Do your part RP!

You might consider RP that those doing civil protest are probably more active and committed to the political process as a group than those who don’t so admonishing people to not protest is kinda lame.

amish rob
10-08-2018, 08:49 AM
Why?

How do you ascertain that from a statement about absentee ballots?

Best just mind the island, eh?

Peace,
Robert

Rum_Pirate
10-08-2018, 08:53 AM

More false information from our offshore right wing troll.

For many the latest date that one can register to vote in the upcoming elections on 6 November is outlined here:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/06/us/politics/state-voter-registration-deadlines.html

Mississippi deadline is today, many are tomorrow.

Sadly, I'd wager that many will not register or check that they are on the register.

BTW Why the necessity to personally attack/insult a fellow forumite?

PS Once again "offshore right wing troll" is incorrect.

S.V. Airlie
10-08-2018, 08:55 AM
Many states allow you to register the day you vote with proof but, proof is an entirely different kettle of fish in itself.

Rum_Pirate
10-08-2018, 08:58 AM
Interesting that not one forumite (the than those that do know) has said that they would check that they are on the voting register, nor suggested that they would encourage others to register of check.

S.V. Airlie
10-08-2018, 09:02 AM
Interesting that not one forumite (the than those that do know) has said that they would check that they are on the voting register, nor suggested that they would encourage others to register of check.Maybe they think it's a given.

Rum_Pirate
10-08-2018, 09:09 AM
Want to change how news is portrayed? Stop reposting right wing Republican drivel. Do your part RP!

You might consider RP that those doing civil protest are probably more active and committed to the political process as a group than those who don’t so admonishing people to not protest is kinda lame.

"right wing Republican drivel"?

Is what is posted in the OP right wing Republican drivel?

I have not said anything against 'civil protest'.

It most important to register and also to actually vote. :rolleyes: Which is what I posted the OP to highlight and encourage.

If the Democrats (do they turn out less than Republican voters?) would do that then there could actually be a change.
You may recall that the Democrats won the 'popular vote' in the last Presidential election, they now need to up the ante and vote en masse.

However what do I get in response? Read the responses. Insults etc.

But remember:

"Every country has the government it deserves." - Joseph de Maistre

Rum_Pirate
10-08-2018, 09:11 AM
Maybe they think it's a given.
And therein lies the problem.

S.V. Airlie
10-08-2018, 09:14 AM
And therein lies the problem.When I ran for office, a lot thought they were registered and weren't in either party. I don't think it's necessarily a Democratic problem actually, it's way more than that.

Iceboy
10-08-2018, 01:17 PM
In this state you can register on voting day just prior to voting.

S.V. Airlie
10-08-2018, 01:18 PM
In this state you can register on voting day just prior to voting.In some cases or states the SAME DAY!

Osborne Russell
10-08-2018, 01:22 PM

May be a minor symptom but it's a bad tactic.

Again, true, but it's still a bad tactic.

"There isn't a way to decency, decency is the way" one might say.