PDA

View Full Version : Dog behavior question

Dave Gray
10-07-2018, 04:59 PM
We have had Sophie, our Great Pyrenees, for two months now. She has some quirks we need to work on and one that has me scratching my head.

She seems fine meeting someone, happy to meet them. She sniffs the hand, gets petted, then she backs away and may bark. Doesn't happen with everyone.

Anyone have an idea on how to handle this? And why the server rotates an image?

lupussonic
10-07-2018, 05:07 PM
More background please..is she from another owner? She doesn't look 4 months old so probably not yours from 8 weeks as a puppy.

She may be jealous of a visitors presence? Reassure her when greeting, and let her know her barking is not welcome with low tones in your voice / request for her to go to her bed if she persists.

The site has issues scrubbing meta-data from your phone. Rinse in an image program..ie open, save as same, then post.

earling2
10-07-2018, 05:19 PM
More background please..is she from another owner? She doesn't look 4 months old so probably not yours from 8 weeks as a puppy.

She may be jealous of a visitors presence? Reassure her when greeting, and let her know her barking is not welcome with low tones in your voice / request for her to go to her bed if she persists.

The site has issues scrubbing meta-data from your phone. Rinse in an image program..ie open, save as same, then post.

They're not really pet dogs are they? Bred to protect sheep and kill wolves? If so, could that have something to do with it?

Breakaway
10-07-2018, 06:02 PM
Maybe she smells/ senses something on the visitor she doesn't like. A cat; another dog; fear; etc.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Frost
10-07-2018, 06:02 PM
I'm seeing more and more of these dogs on the farms around me. Great looking and a little goofy like Labs and Newfies. But, make no mistake that they are bred to protect farm animals and their owners. Last week I was bicycling on a rural road and suddenly there was a Great Pyrennees at my side. No notice, no barking as he/she approached. She forced me to cross the road into the oncoming lane. Thanks that there were no cars oncoming, or from behind. I yelled the standard "Go Home, Bad Dog", but it was at my heel growling for a good quarter mile plus. I could vaguely hear the owner yelling for it to come back. Finally let me go and backed off.

So, nice animals but seem a little over protective. Please keep her fenced or tied as we walkers/runners/cyclists do have the right to wander back roads. Good luck with training. They seem like great animals. Whenever I see one lying contently in a field with sheep, or even chickens, I'm struck by the loyalty they have. They spend nights at a time alone with other animals doing what comes naturally. Not so sure this translates to being good to people without training. They sure are lovable looking.

Best wishes.

Dave Gray
10-07-2018, 06:38 PM
Sophie is 4. She originally came from Bainbridge Island. I am fully aware that they are protectors. The rescue society we adopter her from insists on yards with 6 foot fences (at a minimum - the place we got her is out in Amboy and the woman who runs the society was telling us about a male who jumped a 6 foot fence).

The motto I have seen at a few sites is a "Pyr off leash is a disa-Pyr".

She does a great job protecting us from squirrels and crows and went a bit wild when a coyote ran down the road at us during our early AM walk once. The behavior I am referring to, though, doesn't seem to be protective of us, her owners, but something seems to trigger her suspicions and she backs off.

Paul Pless
10-07-2018, 07:25 PM
And why the server rotates an image?first the easy part, if you take a photo in portrait mode with your cell phone or tablet the woodenboat forum server will rotate it 90 degrees for some unknown reason

if you take it in landscape mode it'll post just fine. . .

Paul Pless
10-07-2018, 07:34 PM
As for your dog's behavior, I'd have to hear the bark and see the rest of the dog's body language to know for sure; but it seems like you're indicating 'wariness' towards some visitors. Its pretty natural among the 'protective' breeds; actually pretty natural among all dogs, just some dogs have more drive in that particular behavior than others. Sometimes she may be reacting to signals that the visitors are giving off. Sometimes, and this is important, she may be reacting to signals that you are giving off, either consciously or unconsciously. Time of day may matter; i.e. what part of her routine is being interrupted by visitors. The weather also, especially a falling barometer may affect her behavior.

There's two main methods of behavior modification. One is obedience training and training her specifically to modify her behavior when introduced to strangers. You can have her sit or down and stay and wait for you to 'release' her before being introduced to the stranger and always use the same language when she greets somebody 'new'. The other thing is 'socialization'. Take her out and introduce to lots of people and sights and sounds that she is unfamiliar with. Get her on neutral territory, some place that's away from her home.

Parks, shopping mall parking lots, especially if they have parks as part their development, pets stores, Lowes and Home Depot, BassPro, Cabelas, etc etc all allow dogs. Outdoor sidewalk cafes, bistros, coffeeshops, and beer gardens are all good places to work on socialization exercises.