PDA

View Full Version : How A Rising Star Of White Nationalism Broke Free From The Movement

McMike
10-03-2018, 05:43 PM
Article link on NPR (https://www.npr.org/2018/09/24/651052970/how-a-rising-star-of-white-nationalism-broke-free-from-the-movement)

This guy is brave. He outlines his involvement in changing how white supremacists do outreach. His strategies are reflected in Sky Blue's strategies, how he attempts his divisiveness and BS. This is a great story about redemption but also a great lesson for normal people on how to spot white supremacist code and dog whistles.

Ian McColgin
10-03-2018, 05:53 PM
I'd heard just part of that interview. Glad to get the rest and a look at the book. Thank you.

McMike
10-03-2018, 05:56 PM
I'd heard just part of that interview. Glad to get the rest and a look at the book. Thank you.

I love NPR and Terry Gross.

skuthorp
10-03-2018, 06:52 PM
Yet you give SB and co. the time of day?

Ian McColgin
10-03-2018, 07:42 PM
Sure. Perhaps, in a rather pale echo of Saul of Tarsus, he might meet W.E.B. Du Bois on the highway.

Paul Pless
10-03-2018, 07:46 PM
Article link on NPR (https://www.npr.org/2018/09/24/651052970/how-a-rising-star-of-white-nationalism-broke-free-from-the-movement)

This guy is brave. He outlines his involvement in changing how white supremacists do outreach. His strategies are reflected in Sky Blue's strategies, how he attempts his divisiveness and BS. This is a great story about redemption but also a great lesson for normal people on how to spot white supremacist code and dog whistles.

in the terry gross interview i was struck by the patience his college friends showed him, his jewish, feminist, black, and liberal friends; and in how the patience they had and the acceptance they showed was instrumental in his changing world view

no man is an island. . .

Canoeyawl
10-03-2018, 07:58 PM
And, it highlights the reason the reds do not like education...

On how the actions of various students Black met at college helped him move away from his white nationalist beliefs
Saslow: In addition to being the story of Derek's transformation, the book is also the story of the real courage shown by a lot of students on this campus who invested themselves in trying to affect profound change. And they did that in a lot of different ways. There was civil resistance on campus by a group of students who organized the school shutdown, and shut down the school, and sort of cast Derek out, and made it clear to him how awful, and how hateful, and how hurtful this ideology was.
And it was also students like Allison, eventually his girlfriend, who won his trust, built a relationship, but [who] also armored herself with the facts, and sort of like point by point went through and showed how this ideology is built on total misinformation.
And then there were also [Jewish] students like Matthew [Stevenson] and Moshe [Ash] who, in a remarkable act, invited Derek over week after week after week, not to build the case against him but to build their relationship, hoping that just by spending more and more time with them he would be able to begin seeing past the stereotypes to the people and to the humanity. ... I think it's important to note that that did not happen quickly, and that they knew the full horror of a lot of the beliefs of this ideology and the things that Derek had said.