PDA

View Full Version : Presidential Alert?

Katherine
10-03-2018, 01:19 PM
WTF??? I guess it's part of the emergency warning system. Maybe they can rig it to warn women when Trump is near.

Beowolf
10-03-2018, 01:21 PM
Uh oh. Which one locks their cross thread?

Beowolf
10-03-2018, 01:23 PM
I love that it told me that “No action is necessary.”

I’m like, “F that! I’m voting in November!”

S.V. Airlie
10-03-2018, 01:24 PM
Worked well in Hawaii don't you think?

Vince Brennan
10-03-2018, 01:25 PM
VOTE in November... EVERYONE!!!

Ian McColgin
10-03-2018, 01:27 PM
Knew it was coming due to wide prior announcement. And so it came.

oznabrag
10-03-2018, 01:28 PM

And remember, Democrats vote on the 6th, and 'Republican' polls open on the 7th.

That is all.

Shang
10-03-2018, 01:30 PM

Chicken Little was right! The sky is falling, so VOTE!

S.V. Airlie
10-03-2018, 01:33 PM
Chicken Little was right! The sky is falling, so VOTE!We've had at least 3 primaries, don't understand why NY can't bundle them all into one but, apparently they can't I've voted in everyone. I'm not going to miss the big one in November.

Chris Smith porter maine
In no time at all we will be getting Trump timeshare offers.

ron ll
Might have been better if it hadn’t been when my body was torqued in half under the intake manifold. Now I have to fish my 15/16” wrench outta the bilge.

peb
10-03-2018, 01:34 PM
I got it too, was hoping Trump resigned.

Shang
10-03-2018, 01:40 PM
I got it too, was hoping Trump resigned.

Or joined the Space Corps and left for Mars.

CWSmith
10-03-2018, 01:41 PM
The ability to do this has been under development for rather a lot of years, starting long before Trump came to office.

This is the least of the things I wish he did not have in his hands.

paulf
10-03-2018, 01:43 PM
Turned my phone "off" in protest.

Shang
10-03-2018, 02:03 PM
But seriously folks, what would a Presidential Alert warn us about?
That the earth is about to be hit by a giant meteor and we're all going to die? That the anticipated eruption of Yellowstone has begun, and we're all going to die? China has teamed up with North Korea and launched a banzai charge, and we're all going to die? That we've finally created a mega-bacteria, and we're all going to sniffle die?
Or that Our Beloved Leader has proclaimed himself for a life-time Presidency...(and we're all going to die).

wizbang 13
10-03-2018, 02:13 PM
Jan and I were down the beach walkin the dog. We ran for higher ground.

ron ll
10-03-2018, 02:21 PM
I have friends who were in Hawaii during the false alarm. For 40 minutes they actually thought they were going to die from a North Korean nuke. 40 minutes is a long time to think that.

Tom Montgomery
10-03-2018, 02:24 PM
Extremely creepy. I immediately thought "Big Brother."

Rich Jones
10-03-2018, 02:27 PM
There are times that I'm very happy that I only own a flip-phone which is turned off and in the center console of my car unless needed. Somehow my wife and I are able to survive without a $1,000 smartphone in our pocket 24/7.

Lew Barrett
10-03-2018, 02:28 PM
?? We’re in Spain so I guess we missed the action. What happened?

Ian McColgin
10-03-2018, 02:35 PM
Beeeeeeeep

ron ll
10-03-2018, 02:59 PM
?? We’re in Spain so I guess we missed the action. What happened? I not only dropped my wrench into the bilge, but I hit my head on the manifold as well. Thanks Obama.

Rich Jones
10-03-2018, 03:47 PM
?? We’re in Spain so I guess we missed the action. What happened?
Nothing much. During the Obama administration, FEMA came up with the idea that, in the event of an emergency, an alert would go out over everyone's cell phone. It just became active the other day with a test alert going out. Whether FEMA named it the Presidential Alert or it was the idiot-in-chief's idea, I don't know.

birlinn
10-03-2018, 03:49 PM
Best to be alert.

Your country needs lerts.

Jim Bow
10-03-2018, 04:07 PM
Childish? Yes.
But I turned my phone off at 11:00 and back on at 11:30
No quiero comunicarme con el matón naranja.

Paul Pless
10-03-2018, 04:13 PM
. . .if this had been an actual presidential emergency or an emergency requiring action from the president, y’all would’ve been ****ed, because your president is a ****ing ignorant buffoon and a douchebag. . .. . .

Todd D
10-03-2018, 04:18 PM
I left my phone at home turned off. That is where it normally is unless I am going out on the boat or driving out of town.

Canoeyawl
10-03-2018, 06:18 PM
A trumpet call

nedL
10-03-2018, 06:26 PM
Yep, everyone’s phone went off at work.

( I wonder how many people instantly felt safer?? Hahahaha!!)

Garret
10-03-2018, 06:36 PM
Jeesum Crow guys - get a grip. The roots of this were back in the 70's. Nothing to do with Cheeto Jesus, or even Obama.

This was the 4th national alert - just the first one via text.

Read about it here (which took upwards of 20 seconds of googling btw): https://www.wired.com/story/presidential-text-alert-fema-emergency-history/

I get that Trump is as evil as they come - but he is not the cause of everything you may find annoying!

Ron gets a pass though - hitting my head on a manifold would get me riled up too.

ron ll
10-03-2018, 06:39 PM
Shilshole Marina has just installed and tested a PA system with a loudspeaker at every dock so they can make an announcement to the entire marina at the same time. One wonders if there is a reason other than available federal matching funds.

Art Haberland
10-03-2018, 07:06 PM
Knew it was coming due to wide prior announcement. And so it came.

it came EIGHT times for me..

If you notice the Right seems to govern by scaring the masses silly. They like to poke our ancient reptilian part of the brain to make us dance. This is just one more poke

john l
10-03-2018, 07:47 PM
The concept is fine. We've become conditioned to accept corruption and I can't help but think of this as "potentially" a TurboTwitter abuse.
Here in South Korea, I get messages on phone about impending monsoon or severe weather. While somewhat alarming and intrusive initially, I've gotten accustomed to it and really no different than "news or email alerts". How it's used or abused is the question and this remains to be seen.

bluedog225
10-03-2018, 07:48 PM
Jeesum Crow guys - get a grip. The roots of this were back in the 70's. Nothing to do with Cheeto Jesus, or even Obama.

This was the 4th national alert - just the first one via text.

Read about it here (which took upwards of 20 seconds of googling btw): https://www.wired.com/story/presidential-text-alert-fema-emergency-history/

I get that Trump is as evil as they come - but he is not the cause of everything you may find annoying!

Ron gets a pass though - hitting my head on a manifold would get me riled up too.

Well done Garret.

They must never know of secret order No. 6.

Remember, Ooselay ipslay inksay ipshay.

It will all be over soon.

CK 17
10-03-2018, 08:21 PM
Stupid Richard ruined my time during a run. I stopped to read my phone. What a Richard. Never again. I don’t care if it’s the end of the world. This is like the bush administration changing the threat colors right before an election.

Ted Hoppe
10-03-2018, 08:28 PM
There are software engineers saying everyone who received the alert now could be compromised, can be monitored, have their phones turned on remotely and the microphone function turned on and monitored without the phone owner knowing.

Consider yourself warned.

Garret
10-03-2018, 08:31 PM
it came EIGHT times for me..

If you notice the Right seems to govern by scaring the masses silly. They like to poke our ancient reptilian part of the brain to make us dance. This is just one more poke

C'mon! It was a test!!! Things get tested to see if they have problems. WTH is up with you guys? Trump & Republicans have nothing to do with this - it's from FEMA & other bureaucracies who've been working on this in various forms for 50 freakin' years.

Canoeyawl
10-03-2018, 08:38 PM

Not from me, that intake manifold is soft old aluminum.
I would cut him some slack if it had been the cast Iron exhaust manifold!

bluedog225
10-03-2018, 09:13 PM

Jimmy W
10-03-2018, 10:31 PM
I was listening to the radio in the truck when the emergency alert interrupted the program. It just sounded about like the normal ones, but at the end they said that phones might also receive one. I didn't check the phone until later, then dismissed it without noticing the Presidential thingy.

Bobcat
10-03-2018, 11:04 PM
I got nothing, but we were driving in the boonies and likely had no cell service

Nicholas Carey
10-03-2018, 11:09 PM
All I can say is ... the Donald (or his handlers) has enough problems trying manage his tweets. No way no how he needs the ability to IM 300 million people.

Katherine
10-04-2018, 08:42 AM
I can fully understand the need to test an emergency alert system. I'm good with that, but why call it a Presidential Alert? Emergency alert has worked just fine for decades. Forcing me to picture that tang tinted turd makes me wish to vomit!

Lew Barrett
10-04-2018, 10:40 AM
Nothing much. During the Obama administration, FEMA came up with the idea that, in the event of an emergency, an alert would go out over everyone's cell phone. It just became active the other day with a test alert going out. Whether FEMA named it the Presidential Alert or it was the idiot-in-chief's idea, I don't know.

Thanks Rich.

Ted Hoppe
10-04-2018, 11:46 AM
Dont be too quick to dismiss this Ron.

Using an advanced triggering event that hit a majority of cell phones yesterday as done in this presidential test would be the first step in installing a cryptographic system into everyones phone. It would be the preferred by some agencies way to initiate there dreamed about pandora box platform. Perfect for the most universally loved possession a person carries and often within 6 feet of the individual.

pkrone
10-04-2018, 02:00 PM
https://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2018/10/presidential-alert-memes-25-photos-11.jpg?quality=85&strip=info&w=641

Garret
10-04-2018, 02:07 PM
Good one! Needed to be in all caps though...

birlinn
10-04-2018, 02:07 PM
Just read Ted Hoppe's post.
And Osbourne worries about a poster on a Scottish train warning against sectarian behaviour....

bluedog225
10-04-2018, 02:26 PM
Targeted alerts could be highly useful. Train details, chlorine gas spreading over I-10. Avoid the area, shelter in place, the following areas are in danger, or whatever is appropriate.

Location of shelters or resoirces. Notice of a wildfire.

The whole country at once is harder to imagine. 9/11 comes to mind. Or better, Amber alerts. The idea that most of the country can receive one message at one time seems pretty handy.

SKIP KILPATRICK
10-04-2018, 02:31 PM
I can fully understand the need to test an emergency alert system. I'm good with that, but why call it a Presidential Alert? Emergency alert has worked just fine for decades. Forcing me to picture that tang tinted turd makes me wish to vomit!

Amen sister!

Ted Hoppe
10-04-2018, 02:53 PM
Targeted alerts could be highly useful. Train details, chlorine gas spreading over I-10. Avoid the area, shelter in place, the following areas are in danger, or whatever is appropriate.

Location of shelters or resoirces. Notice of a wildfire.

The whole country at once is harder to imagine. 9/11 comes to mind. Or better, Amber alerts. The idea that most of the country can receive one message at one time seems pretty handy.

There is the thought that what happens on one coast need not worry one on the other. Frankly if the entire nation received a warning which a magnitude threat is that imminent... Chaos and fear would be quite devastating to local civic response teams as well as to the general public at large.

Why announce and produce a danger warning system when it is quite likely there is very little anyone can do to get out of the way. we already have sirens in most major cities anyway.

Jimmy W
10-04-2018, 03:41 PM
I get phone alerts for tornado and severe thunderstorm warnings, flash flood warnings, some missing people like amber alerts, holiday garbage pickup changes, etc. Some of those require subscribing to.