PDA

View Full Version : this one's for sibley, and just maybe joe cold spring on hudson

Paul Pless
10-03-2018, 01:04 PM
carbon fibre battery electric trike from morgan

100 mph top speed
150 mile range

https://www.morgan-motor.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/ev3h2.jpg

Katherine
10-03-2018, 01:07 PM
The boss man was wanting more BEV's on next year's list . . .

Paul Pless
10-03-2018, 01:09 PM
The boss man was wanting more BEV's on next year's list . . .porsche makes a cool one. . . :D

Katherine
10-03-2018, 01:11 PM
porsche makes a cool one. . . :DBoss said nope on both counts. I may, eventually, get my hands on a Taycan. Just have to keep begging. lol

Canoez
10-03-2018, 01:12 PM
The boss man was wanting more BEV's on next year's list . . .

Could start with something like that Morgan. I'd be happy.

Katherine
10-03-2018, 01:13 PM
Could start with something like that Morgan. I'd be happy.You wouldn't be happy when you see what we do with the vehicles.

Garret
10-03-2018, 01:18 PM
I bet 100MPH in that feels like 150. I think you guys need one - I know I do!

Canoez
10-03-2018, 01:27 PM
You wouldn't be happy when you see what we do with the vehicles.

Cosmetically or mechanically? :eek:

SWMBO's uncle had a reproduction Morgan three-wheeler with a motorcycle engine in the thing (no reverse). Had handles on either side of the rear of the vehicle so the passenger could get out, lift the rear wheel and spin the thing in the direction it neede to be pointed.

You're very, very chummy with anyone else in the vehicle. I can't emphasize just how very low to the ground you truly are. 30-35 MPH down small, sinuous English country lanes with sandstone walls and hedges on either side you feel like you're about to make the jump to hyperspace. It's a thrill. I'd hate to meet a truck or tractor coming the wrong way in my lane, however.

amish rob
10-03-2018, 01:33 PM
Dude.

Just. Dude.

Peace,
Chopped Liver :)

J.Madison
10-03-2018, 01:48 PM
They seem to have forgotten a headlight.

Garret
10-03-2018, 01:49 PM
They seem to have forgotten a headlight.

I thought that too - but wondered it it was left off for cooling intake or some such?

ETA: "liquid-cooled 56bhp electric motor fed by a 21kWh lithium battery"

Paul Pless
10-03-2018, 01:50 PM
why would a trike need four headlights? :D

Figment
10-03-2018, 01:52 PM
I dislike that those are not roadlegal here.

Paul Pless
10-03-2018, 01:54 PM
Why arenít they? Donít they register as a motorcycle?

Flying Orca
10-03-2018, 02:12 PM

Agreed in spades, tovarisch.

amish rob
10-03-2018, 02:16 PM
My dream is a road legal two seat electric assist CTT powered pedal drive trike.

Sigh.

Peace,
Robert

Paul Pless
10-03-2018, 02:17 PM
My dream is a road legal two seat electric assist CTT powered pedal drive trike.

Sigh.

Peace,
Robertwith a four speed chain rearend???

amish rob
10-03-2018, 02:26 PM
with a four speed chain rearend???
No, but that is the possibility of a real working version for the pedal car. I just need to scare up a bit of coin and a precise drawing and hit up a dude I know what can make stuff. And figure out the linkage to shift four gears with one stick.

I am almost over the heartbreak of starting over.
Sometimes itís hard to let go of ideas. Even bad ones.

Dang, am I a master of the segway, or what? Hehe.

For the street trike, Iíd use some version of a CVT on the rear, or one of the more robust bicycle internal hubs as a jackshaft.

As electric stuff gets better, it will become possible, I think. The pedals will allow a lighter battery load, I think, for the same range and speed.
And a little workout, like walking to work.

For ďthoseĒ types.

Peace,
Robert

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
10-03-2018, 02:29 PM
carbon fibre battery electric trike from morgan

100 mph top speed
150 mile range

https://www.morgan-motor.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/ev3h2.jpg

Think I saw one on Monday - I was driving south through Malvern so it's possible.

C. Ross
10-03-2018, 02:44 PM
Oh stop. I was just looking at Morgans the other day. That is really lustworthy.

CWSmith
10-03-2018, 02:46 PM
Is that registered as a car or a cycle and how do they decide?

amish rob
10-03-2018, 03:14 PM
I only have one criticism. I want the Morgan front end, not a arms.

That’s a minor quibble, I dig, but that weird pillar type setup is part of the quirky cool, to me.

And, I believe it is known here I dig these? I keep looking for a suitable motorbike to build a special with Quadzilla from. He would dig a wee three wheeled car to scoot around town to play music and visit friends.

He could totally pull one off, too. :)

Peace,
Robert

John Meachen
10-03-2018, 03:55 PM
Quite right Rob,without the classic sliding pillar front suspension it has lost a chunk of it's heritage.Putting the bending loads into the lower wishbone may not be the smartest thing either.Scrub radius guesses anybody?

AnalogKid
10-03-2018, 04:24 PM
No, but that is the possibility of a real working version for the pedal car. I just need to scare up a bit of coin and a precise drawing and hit up a dude I know what can make stuff. And figure out the linkage to shift four gears with one stick.

I am almost over the heartbreak of starting over.
Sometimes itís hard to let go of ideas. Even bad ones.

Dang, am I a master of the segway, or what? Hehe.

For the street trike, Iíd use some version of a CVT on the rear, or one of the more robust bicycle internal hubs as a jackshaft.

As electric stuff gets better, it will become possible, I think. The pedals will allow a lighter battery load, I think, for the same range and speed.
And a little workout, like walking to work.

For ďthoseĒ types.

Peace,
Robert

Just an idea, but you could simplify that drive line by using hub motors in the front wheels and leaving the pedals to drive the back end. I know it wouldn't be ideal from an unsprung mass point of view, but AliExpress is awash with hub motors of various power ratings, loose or read-built into all wheel sizes, front and rear.

leikec
10-03-2018, 06:42 PM
Dude.

Just. Dude.

Peace,
Chopped Liver :)

What he said :D

Jeff C

leikec
10-03-2018, 06:44 PM
Oh stop. I was just looking at Morgans the other day. That is really lustworthy.

And what he said...

Jeff C

leikec
10-03-2018, 06:45 PM

And him too...

Jeff C

Canoeyawl
10-03-2018, 08:46 PM
I like how they incorporated negative camber with some serious kinpin inclination...

BrianW
10-03-2018, 09:00 PM
If it's electric, what's leaking. :)

Old Dryfoot
10-03-2018, 09:28 PM
Nostalgia?

Garret
10-03-2018, 09:35 PM

Electric - so any leaks would be shocking! Well that & coolant...

PeterSibley
10-04-2018, 01:27 AM
Delightful, other than a 1932 Matchless engined original, that would be it!

bamamick
10-04-2018, 07:34 AM
The only thing to keep me from completely loving that thing is the idea of having to get into and out of it in front of other people. I have to more or less fall into and out of any kayak I am paddling, so you get the idea.

Mickey Lake

Canoez
10-04-2018, 07:37 AM

Not leaking - oozing. Oozing style.

:D

Katherine
10-04-2018, 08:38 AM
Cosmetically or mechanically? :eek:
Both

Ted Hoppe
10-04-2018, 09:36 AM
Nice. But wouldn’t you miss vibration and the exhaust note which is part of the Morgan experience?

Garret
10-04-2018, 10:27 AM
Nice. But wouldn’t you miss vibration and the exhaust note which is part of the Morgan experience?

The vibration is easily fixed by installing an out of balance coupling somewhere in the driveline and/or sloppy mounts. Exhaust note would require speakers I guess...

Canoeyawl
10-04-2018, 11:33 AM
How many here have ridden in an old british "sports car"

Any of the original ones that I have been involved with were sort of "rattley" from worn suspension components and loose wooden framing of body parts. It takes quite a bit of work to get them back to "tight".

amish rob
10-04-2018, 11:43 AM

Any of the original ones that I have been involved with were sort of "rattley" from worn suspension components and loose wooden framing of body parts. It takes quite a bit of work to get them back to "tight".

I didnít know a Jaguar from shinola before I started hanging out here.

You are all very bad influences. :)

Peace,
Robert

Garret
10-04-2018, 12:38 PM

Aw c'mon - my first one (a TR3 at age 13) was tight as a drum! Well, except for the doors, hood, trunklid, shocks, and spring mounts.