PDA

View Full Version : Do You Think Kavanaugh is an Alcoholic?

john l
10-03-2018, 10:13 AM
Given his early drinking history, and quite frankly his responses and facial expressions during his hearing last week, I thought he might have been drinking prior to the questioning. He did slur some and his responses and anger seemed right out of a late night bar scene.
Alternatively, he may have been so stressed by the events of the previous week, that his judgment many have been impaired causing similar response. But, if he is an alcoholic who would drink prior to the important proceeding, he is likely to do the same on the Supreme Court. Being fiercely partisan, willing to defer opinion/decision to his handlers (as demonstrated), a liar or deceiver, and an alcoholic on top of this, his objectivity and rational may be permanently impaired - Not good qualities for a Supreme Court Justice.

George Jung
10-03-2018, 10:16 AM
Yes. And a mean drunk, at that.

CWSmith
10-03-2018, 10:19 AM
I have very little doubt. Either way, I find his temperament and partisanship makes him unfit for the job.

CWSmith
10-03-2018, 10:20 AM
Has anyone read this?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/kavanaugh’s-1983-letter-offers-inside-look-at-high-school-clique/ar-BBNR7Sh?ocid=spartandhp

S.V. Airlie
One who drinks in excess for six years could be. However, as every alcoholic knows you still have cravings for it your entire life. I suspect he's a functioning Alcoholic now.

amish rob
I think it’s the type question Trump would ask.

It is provocative for the sake of provocation, and furthers the cause against the judge’s appointment not one bit.

And if so, is his alcoholism a weapon to be used for political traction? How is THAT better than what we have now?

Peace,
Robert

Joe (SoCal)
10-03-2018, 10:21 AM
Given all the flaws in this candidate is he the ONLY judge in America that could possibly hold the position? This is THE ONLY ONE ? Why him ??

OH ...... Now it makes sense.

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/ktoo/2018/07/gettyimages-51383827-1bdd27ee832206c9aa09fac09f6ceef3554cba6e.jpg

George Jung
10-03-2018, 10:29 AM
This, posted elsewhere by Tom F., is a good read, and argument (against) - by one of Kavanaughs friends.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/10/why-i-wouldnt-confirm-brett-kavanaugh/571936/

ron ll
10-03-2018, 10:31 AM
The Repugnants don't care.

oznabrag
10-03-2018, 10:41 AM
Given all the flaws in this candidate is he the ONLY judge in America that could possibly hold the position? This is THE ONLY ONE ? Why him ??

OH ...... Now it makes sense.

Because he will vote to destroy separate sovereignty, and to place the President above the law, that's why.

John Smith
10-03-2018, 10:46 AM
Wish someone had asked if he'd had something to drink before testifying.

Tom Montgomery
10-03-2018, 10:49 AM
I've known a few alcoholics. Yes, Kavanaugh appears to be one.

CWSmith
10-03-2018, 10:50 AM
We should probably distinguish between an alcoholic and a drunk. People in AA are alcoholics, but those who work the program and remain sober are to be admired. I don't think that's what Kavanaugh is.

LeeG
10-03-2018, 10:51 AM
I suppose if he was a sober right wing proponent of an authoritarian executive,highly partisan, defender of enforced pregnancy against immigrant minors ready to attack RoeV Wade he could be more effective.

elf
10-03-2018, 10:51 AM
yes, and not a dry drunk, either.

LeeG
10-03-2018, 10:52 AM
It’s a somewhat minor issue, GW was a sober alcoholic.

Tom Montgomery
10-03-2018, 10:55 AM
GW admitted he once had a problem with alcohol. Not Brett.

LeeG
10-03-2018, 11:05 AM
GW admitted he once had a problem with alcohol. Not Brett.

Right, GW would not have been as successful if he was still abusing. His success made him a perfect lever for Cheney and the neocons to start two wars on tax cuts turning millions into refugees. He was trustworthy, sincere, average.

Brett could have been more successful pursuing his political agenda if he had corralled this problem earlier. Trump would definitely not be as successful if his stunted personality was alcoholically amplified.

My take is that being a high functioning alcoholic doesn’t make him ineligible for the SC. His temperment, intent to mislead/lie and blatant partisanship does.

Rich Jones
10-03-2018, 11:58 AM
It appears that he had a wild side to him in his schooling years. Whether that followed him his whole life is the question. I would think that the prior FBI checks would find out about any drinking problems. Perhaps they did, but the GOP covered them up. Then again, some functioning drunks are very good at hiding their problem drinking. It'll be interesting what this FBI investigation finds (if the GOP ever let's us get a look at it).
Whatever the case, it's going to be a raucous scene in the Senate on Friday!! Get your popcorn ready!

ron ll
10-03-2018, 12:32 PM
The issue isn’t whether or not he’s an alcoholic, the issue is whether or not he lies.

Joe (SoCal)
10-03-2018, 12:33 PM
https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/42704348_10217838188216187_5620222409148727296_n.j pg?_nc_cat=106&oh=79964a84fbbe7dd15efaf2298d45aca2&oe=5C50AC34

Canoeyawl
10-03-2018, 12:36 PM
Bonus points for "Witch Hunt" and "Clinton Conspiracy"

Figment
10-03-2018, 12:59 PM
Amish has it right.

Osborne Russell
10-03-2018, 12:59 PM
Pretty tough to get enough of them in a single snippet to get a bingo. OTOH, if you get to watch two snippets, you almost always do.

LeeG
10-03-2018, 01:01 PM
The issue isn’t whether or not he’s an alcoholic, the issue is whether or not he lies.

there is that

S.V. Airlie
10-03-2018, 01:03 PM
And he does, now and during his confirmation for a lower court when Bush was president.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by ron ll http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?p=5689057#post5689057)

Shang
10-03-2018, 01:13 PM
Wish someone had asked if he'd had something to drink before testifying.

...and then requested a breathalyzer test.

Katherine
10-03-2018, 01:15 PM
Only he can say whether or not he is an alcoholic.

S.V. Airlie
10-03-2018, 01:18 PM
It was between For's time on the stand, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't go out for a liquid lunch with Chuckie Grassley. A few beers could explain his rantings in the afternoon session. What he said and what he meant came across clear as a bell and made his responses given under oath about independence, unbiased decisions a lie too.

Canoeyawl
10-03-2018, 01:32 PM
That bingo list reminded me that I once hired a man that told me outright (in response to a question about "criminal behavior" on the application) he had a problem, an altercation with his ex wife in a divorce settlement.

I asked him, is this all settled now? He told me "Oh yes, no big deal, it is long over with. All good now"

He was a good machinist/mechanic but a casualty of his career position being exported to China. A devout (and vocal) "Christian" he had a pattern of blaming women for his troubles with life. Which I had to remind him on several occasions that this was not acceptable language (He lost his house in the divorce settlement, and had failed at an attempt to be "self-employed" so felt he was due some compassion, and consideration)

Fully a year later he said "a thing has come up"... Well it turned out the "problem" was not all settled and in fact he had pushed his wife down the stairs and broken both her legs, and he was now convicted of assault and battery and off to the county jail for 90 days.
A "nice guy" I waited another year to be rid of him without fear of a lawsuit.

CWSmith
10-03-2018, 02:53 PM
Only he can say whether or not he is an alcoholic.

That is the language of recovery and as such I can agree. He cannot recover until he admits to himself that he has a problem. However, we all know too many people who are too drunk too often and we all know they have a problem whether they admit to it or not.

So yes, but no.

Tom Montgomery
10-03-2018, 02:59 PM
Only he can say whether or not he is an alcoholic.That is true from the standpoint of beginning recovery. Only once one can admit to himself that he is an alcoholic can one be helped. It is the first step in recovery from the disease.

Many, many alcoholics never admit to a problem. My father never did. Nor has my brother. That doesn't mean others cannot recognize that they have a problem that is called "alcoholism."

LeeG
10-03-2018, 03:04 PM

worth repeating, lies, intention to mislead, dissemble, stridently partisan
he flew too high.

Tom Montgomery
10-03-2018, 03:10 PM
Well of course Brett Kavanaugh lied while under oath before the Senate Judiciary Committee.

The Reds do not care.

oznabrag
10-03-2018, 03:15 PM
Kavanaugh is a ratfreaking orc.

Evil personified.

LeeG
10-03-2018, 03:19 PM
Kavanaugh is a ratfreaking orc.

Evil personified.

No, no, no. He was captain of the team, he went to Yale, he liked beer, still likes beer but not so much beer he could forget youthful pursuits in his formative young adult years.

In the meantime, he lied.

oznabrag
10-03-2018, 03:24 PM
No, no, no. He was captain of the team, he went to Yale, he liked beer, still likes beer but not so much beer he could forget youthful pursuits in his formative young adult years.

In the meantime, he lied.

When one responds to a post with 'No, no, no' one expects that the assertion that Kavanaugh is the personification of evil will be refuted.

Of course, sarcasm and irony translate poorly to this medium.

Kavanaugh needs to be Ceausescutized.

Paul G.
10-03-2018, 04:18 PM

He's a pisshead for sure, and a crybaby

S.V. Airlie
10-03-2018, 04:23 PM
I went to preppy school, I went to Yale, I went to the most prestigious law school, I'm privileged! Stop picking one me.

Chris249
10-03-2018, 05:08 PM
I sort of hope he's an alcoholic - it gives him an excuse for being a revolting human being. No matter what happened all those years ago, his behaviour violated the lessons of huge volume of research that has gone into witnesses, memories and how allegations of sexual assault should be treated. His behaviour as vile and arguably IMHO worse than anything Trump has done in some ways.

He is clearly unfit for the court, irrespective of whether or not he is innocent of the allegations.