PDA

View Full Version : Renewing desiccant-need clever ideas

bluedog225
10-02-2018, 03:11 PM
Good afternoonI've got about 10 pounds of desiccant I'd like to renew. A bunch of it came with my shipping container and I bought a bucket of the fancy stuff that changes color. Moisture is an issue in the container. If I can't address it with desiccant, I'll go ahead and cut vent holes. The desiccant needs to be raised to about 250F for 3-12 hours in a ventilated space. I'm about to buy a little cheap toaster oven but bet you guys will have a better idea. And save me $30. Any money saved will go to the BROTM retirement fund. The best cheap solution I can come up with is a 40 watt bulb in a homer bucket. Cover the bulb with masons sand to buffer the heat and put the desiccant in socks and pile then on top. Loosely cover the bucket or not depending on the temps. Once it stabilizes, increase or decrease the wattage or double bucket as needed.It would be nice to bulk process this stuff rather than do small batches in the oven.I'd appreciate any other ideas. ThanksTom

stromborg
10-02-2018, 03:22 PM
Texas has a lot of sunshine, right? I wonder if you could spread it out in a thin layer on a sheet of black plastic and let it bake in the sun?

oznabrag
10-02-2018, 03:30 PM
Good afternoon

I've got about 10 pounds of desiccant I'd like to renew. A bunch of it came with my shipping container
and I bought a bucket of the fancy stuff that changes color.

Moisture is an issue in the container. If I can't address it with desiccant,
I'll go ahead and cut vent holes.

The desiccant needs to be raised about 250F for 3-12 hours in a ventilated space.

I'm about to buy a little cheap toaster oven but bet you guys will have a better idea. And save me $30. Any money saved will go to the BROTM retirement fund.

The best cheap solution I can come up with is a 40 watt bulb in a homer bucket. Cover the bulb with masons sand to buffer the heat and put the
desiccant in socks and pile then on top. Loosely cover the bucket or not depending on the temps. Once it stabilizes, increase or decrease the wattage or double bucket as needed.

It would be nice to bulk process this stuff rather than do small batches in the oven.

I'd appreciate any other ideas.

Thanks

Tom

The desiccant needs to be raised about 250F I m guessing you mean "The desiccant needs to be raised TO about 250F".

Easy-peasy.

Get a sheet of roofing. Paint it black. Arrange it so it's facing South, and tilt it toward the South.

Spread your desiccant out on the surface of the roofing, and cover it with a glass sliding patio door.

Your first sunny day oughtta have it dry as toast.

I don't even think you'd have to make an airtight box out of it, depending on relative humidity.

That, or you can just ship it to JoP, and have him spread it out on his driveway for an afternoon.

Same same.

oznabrag
10-02-2018, 03:30 PM
Texas has a lot of sunshine, right? I wonder if you could spread it out in a thin layer on a sheet of black plastic and let it bake in the sun?

Great minds think alike!

John of Phoenix
10-02-2018, 03:34 PM
I m guessing you mean "The desiccant needs to be raised TO about 250F".

Easy-peasy.

Get a sheet of roofing. Paint it black. Arrange it so it's facing South, and tilt it toward the South.

Spread your desiccant out on the surface of the roofing, and cover it with a glass sliding patio door.

Your first sunny day oughtta have it dry as toast.

I don't even think you'd have to make an airtight box out of it, depending on relative humidity.

That, or you can just ship it to JoP, and have him spread it out on his driveway for an afternoon.

Same same.People talk about frying eggs on the sidewalk. PFFFT! You can do that in Halifax. We bake turkeys in our cars.

Canoez
10-02-2018, 03:35 PM
Good afternoonI've got about 10 pounds of desiccant I'd like to renew. A bunch of it came with my shipping container and I bought a bucket of the fancy stuff that changes color. Moisture is an issue in the container. If I can't address it with desiccant, I'll go ahead and cut vent holes. The desiccant needs to be raised to about 250F for 3-12 hours in a ventilated space. I'm about to buy a little cheap toaster oven but bet you guys will have a better idea. And save me $30. Any money saved will go to the BROTM retirement fund. The best cheap solution I can come up with is a 40 watt bulb in a homer bucket. Cover the bulb with masons sand to buffer the heat and put the desiccant in socks and pile then on top. Loosely cover the bucket or not depending on the temps. Once it stabilizes, increase or decrease the wattage or double bucket as needed.It would be nice to bulk process this stuff rather than do small batches in the oven.I'd appreciate any other ideas. ThanksTom

Read the manufacturer's instructions, first. How about your home oven? You're only driving the moisture out. Store 'em in a sealed plastic bucket or ziploc bags until ready to use. 10 pounds isn't that much.

(Note : this is what we do at work with a chamber that's basically a big convection oven)

bluedog225
10-02-2018, 03:35 PM
Yes, to 250f. Good ideas. My metal roof got up to about 160F recently. And black might make the difference. Gonna be harder over the next 6 mos.

Gib Etheridge
10-02-2018, 03:55 PM
Do you ever need to heat your house? If so do it with the oven set at 250. Nothing wasted that way. Ovens are vented to the room.

bluedog225
10-02-2018, 04:13 PM
Do you ever need to heat your house? If so do it with the oven set at 250. Nothing wasted that way. Ovens are vented to the room.

Occasionally we run the heater. But the bigger issue is the kitchen stove is off limits. Same with the dishwasher. And the kitchen sink. Somewhere along the way I lost. It was subtle.

Maybe a space heater inside a cooler. Put it out where the fire won't do much harm.

Jimmy W
10-02-2018, 07:39 PM
You need a brick pizza oven anyway, dry it in there.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1273/1937/products/Pizzaioli_Pizza_Oven_Cork_Red_Pizza_Exclusive_1024 x1024.jpg?v=1528828112

Paul Pless
10-02-2018, 08:11 PM
microwave :D

Hugh Conway
10-02-2018, 08:24 PM
Occasionally we run the heater. But the bigger issue is the kitchen stove is off limits. Same with the dishwasher. And the kitchen sink. Somewhere along the way I lost. It was subtle.

gift circuit for a day somewhere fun = free oven.

other options would be a solar oven or a reflector oven (use this with a campstove or fire).

Gib Etheridge
10-02-2018, 08:38 PM
Got a friend with a pottery kiln? You could probably put it on a rack above the exhaust.