PDA

View Full Version : One reason Trump is so hot to get Kavanaugh confirmed

Norman Bernstein
10-02-2018, 12:05 PM
Yeah, I did confirm this. It would not only affect people like Manafort, but it could conceivably apply to Trump, himself.

Now, frankly, I think that the 'separate sovereigns' exception is probably a bad idea... but I DON'T like the idea that a SCOTUS justice might be confirmed primarily because he could save the President or his friends from prosecution.

https://scontent.fbos1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/42723630_678420795878313_3774428791711989760_n.jpg ?_nc_cat=101&oh=54a3f28c05c3c1a06e2c0d23291b0bf3&oe=5C1D0A1B

LeeG
10-02-2018, 12:09 PM
oh bam what a perfect next step for authoritarian rule. Thatís not being conservative.

LeeG
10-02-2018, 01:24 PM
Speaking of the big picture and McConnell’s role in things other than pushing Kavanaugh through for partisan reasons there’s McConnell’s response in 2016 to Brennans briefing Senate leaders that Russia is meddlimg in the elections for Trumps benefit.

https://mobile.twitter.com/joshscampbell/status/1047104517085360128/video/1

https://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=653193096

Terri Gross:

The intelligence agencies - they were on to what was happening, and the intelligence agencies strongly felt that Russia intended not just to mess with it but to discredit Hillary Clinton. There was a lot of Republican opposition to making any of this public, and a lot of that opposition came from Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell. Can you describe the ways he tried to prevent anything from going public about Russian interference?

MILLER: There's a long gap between when the U.S. government, through its intelligence services, learns what Russia is doing and when the public finally learns about it. And there's a lot of second guessing, even now, about why the Obama administration didn't tell the public more or earlier. There are scenes in the book I write about in the late August - or the early August time frame, late July time frame, John Brennan, who was CIA director at the time, becoming increasingly concerned about what was happening. The WikiLeaks dump had already occurred. He sort of holes himself up inside his office at CIA headquarters on the seventh floor for two straight days deep into the night each day, poring over all of the agency's Russian intelligence.

At the end of this exercise, he's just convinced that Russia - and he has - and he's sitting on new intelligence, in fact, that tells him that the Kremlin is playing a bigger game here than anybody has, to that point, realized, that they're not just in it to try to disrupt the election, but they are trying to help elect Trump and damage Hillary Clinton. And he calls the White House that week, calls him in early August - I need to get in to see the president.

After his meeting with Obama, the game plan involves Brennan then trying to reach out to congressional leadership. This is sort of an all-hands-on-deck moment for the U.S. government. They want to make sure the leadership in Congress is aware of what's happening in the election. So Brennan starts calling, you know, the Senate and House leadership, the committee - the leadership of the committee - the relevant committees and so forth and setting up one-on-one briefings with these people. And that's really unusual for a CIA director to do.

And he finds, you know, that the Democrats are lining up at his door that - to meet and learn about what's happening. Republicans are putting him off. In fact, he doesn't even get to talk to some of the senior Republicans until almost a month later, sort of the August recess time frame. But nevertheless, this is a - you know, a - an alarming development that some Republicans are showing very little interest in.

He finally gets into a conversation, a private meeting, with Mitch McConnell, and we write about this in the book. And Brennan feels like he's coming to these leaders with frightening information, overwhelming information, solid intelligence that shows that Russia has this objective. They're trying to screw in our - screw up the election and trying to install Donald Trump. And in - he ends up in a shouting match with McConnell because McConnell's reaction is something he just - Brennan fails to anticipate and is deeply troubled by.

McConnell is saying, well, if you - basically tells him, if you come forward - this administration comes forward and accuses Russia of trying to help and - help elect Donald Trump, I will consider that interference in the election. And I will call the administration out on that. I will accuse the administration of trying to interfere in the election. I mean, it's astonishing. Here's the Senate majority leader being told that Russia is interfering in the election. And he's saying, I'm not willing to issue any kind of statement or take any action that would let the public know that, but I will accuse you of interfering in the election.

oznabrag
10-02-2018, 01:24 PM
oh bam what a perfect next step for authoritarian rule. That’s not being conservative.

Yup.

The ratfreaker dogma includes State's Rights, just so long as those rights further their own power.

Loathsome, wretched traitorous scum.

Ceausescutize the lot of them, I say.

Osborne Russell
10-02-2018, 01:59 PM
George Jung did a thread on this.

John Smith
10-02-2018, 02:12 PM
We are doomed.

George Jung
10-02-2018, 02:24 PM
George Jung did a thread on this.

Yeah - but this one is better - folks really need to be aware.

Besides - you can never beat the classics!

John Smith
10-03-2018, 04:50 AM
Let's look ahead, may 8 months or so.

Supreme Court has green lighted president pardoning himself and anyone he wishes for all crimes at any level. Trump immediately pardons himself, his family, and friends. Mueller is left with no one to charge, so that investigation ends.

Elsewhere, kids are still not re-united with their families in spite of a court ordered deadline which is already passed. NO ONE is in jail.

Now you are called to jury duty. How can you convict anyone of anything?

Lew Barrett
10-03-2018, 05:03 AM
The bigger picture has been my concern the entire time. It makes RvW look like a shoplifting case.

skuthorp
10-03-2018, 05:15 AM
I agree John, if the rule of law is abandoned from the very top, the judiciary have no credence though they still have the power.

Rigadog
10-03-2018, 07:22 AM
Trump is destroying all institutions. "The 5th Risk" tells the story of how he is hollowing out our government with hack appointees. Getting Lil Brett on the court will take care of that institution as well. So much the better if he gets through as a liar, sex offender, weasel, the damage to the judicial system will be that much greater in terms of undermining respect for the institution.

Too Little Time
10-03-2018, 09:32 AM
It seems the ACLU would like the same outcome as some suggest Trump would like. So would I.

john l
10-03-2018, 09:47 AM
I can't understand why the block of republicans are still supporting Trump and KavaNo. My theory: they had knowledge of Trump Campaign connections to Russian election scam...thought it was "a pretty neat idea" and don't want to be implicated. Now they are looking for cover when Mueller uncovers the breadth of it all. As crazy as it sounds, there is no other rational justification for their support.