PDA

View Full Version : Something Strange Is Falling From The Sky

amish rob
10-02-2018, 10:03 AM
It isnít hard, but you can sure feel it hitting you. When it lands on your head, it sort of bloops all over, then starts oozing, I guess, down your body. Some of it blooped off the end of my nose.

Any clothes soon change color, or become nearly transparent if contacted by the skyfall.

Also, there is a white scrim of some sort seemingly pulled across the sky. It blots out the sun, and the edges and lowlights of it are grey.

Whatever it is falling from the sky is pooling, for lack of a better term, on the ground. It has reconfigured the dirt manifestly and colored the tarmac and concrete.

Anyway, Iím totally freaked out. Does anyone know what is happening?

Peace,
Wet

isla
10-02-2018, 10:07 AM
It isnít hard, but you can sure feel it hitting you. When it lands on your head, it sort of bloops all over, then starts oozing, I guess, down your body. Some of it blooped off the end of my nose.

Any clothes soon change color, or become nearly transparent if contacted by the skyfall.

Also, there is a white scrim of some sort seemingly pulled across the sky. It blots out the sun, and the edges and lowlights of it are grey.

Whatever it is falling from the sky is pooling, for lack of a better term, on the ground. It has reconfigured the dirt manifestly and colored the tarmac and concrete.

Anyway, Iím totally freaked out. Does anyone know what is happening?

Peace,
Wet

The sky is crying - Elmore will tell you all about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFn538A_yBA

John of Phoenix
10-02-2018, 10:10 AM
Here too, Rob. Very strange. One of my co-workers from Seattle says it's called "rain". I'm gonna Google it.

Jim Mahan
10-02-2018, 10:13 AM
There's a little blow on here but no weird skyfall unless you mean the mist of maple sap that covers the cars parked on the street this time of year. The first time I saw it, I thought some vandal had sprayed polysomthing all over it. I felt it, and it was hard and sticky. I didn't know then but it turns out okay because it disolves like cotton candy when it gets wet. Whatever that is.

David G
10-02-2018, 10:15 AM
My hometown at the mouth of the Columbia a few days ago. It's falling in Portland, too, and interrupting our house-painting project. Still enough decent weather to finish it despite the delays, though, it appears --

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/10177881_700858196664061_7206984899984785352_n.jpg ?_nc_cat=111&oh=07feeb9b5c2c10f08d5a95a98c1a120e&oe=5C14A49F

amish rob
10-02-2018, 10:18 AM
The sky is crying - Elmore will tell you all about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFn538A_yBA

Man, youíre the best! I gotta get over to your rock and hang out with youse guys over there. Iíd love to be able to take a world tour, just once, to see all my far flung friends.p, and their homes and towns and shops and gardens...

Thanks for the jam!

Peace,
Robert

amish rob
10-02-2018, 10:19 AM
Here too, Rob. Very strange. One of my co-workers from Seattle says it's called "rain". I'm gonna Google it.

Rain? I thought that was a steering wheel for a horse? Well, Iíll check into it. Let me know if you find out whatís what.

Peace,
I Love You, Brother :D

SchoonerRat
10-02-2018, 10:22 AM
Around here it's known as "Liquid Sunshine".

amish rob
10-02-2018, 10:25 AM
There's a little blow on here but no weird skyfall unless you mean the mist of maple sap that covers the cars parked on the street this time of year. The first time I saw it, I thought some vandal had sprayed polysomthing all over it. I felt it, and it was hard and sticky. I didn't know then but it turns out okay because it disolves like cotton candy when it gets wet. Whatever that is.

Same same, and from the pecan, too. This time of year is when I work under the persimmons. No drips, and I can be a human scarecrow, to keep the birds up in the tree tops, where their share is. It wouldnít be bad if birds ate the whole fruit, but they eat two bites from 100 fruits. Bird brains.

Really, Iím just happy the rain came now, because itís just time to change from summer to winter, and the rain will loosen up the dirt. It also would have been detrimental to the last of the summer harvest to have a hard rain so late. Some of the delicates would have perished.

Sometimes it all just works out...

Peace,
World Record Bolt Out Of Bed Speed Tarper (I gambled with one thing that could get wet, but I didnít want soaked...)

Rum_Pirate
10-02-2018, 10:27 AM
It isn’t hard, but you can sure feel it hitting you. When it lands on your head, it sort of bloops all over, then starts oozing, I guess, down your body. Some of it blooped off the end of my nose.

Anyway, I’m totally freaked out. Does anyone know what is happening?

Peace,
Wet
https://pics.me.me/urgent-warning-for-tomorrow-aliens-are-coming-to-earth-tomorrow-7594382.png

AndyG
10-02-2018, 10:28 AM
It blots out the sun...

You say you have a name for the mythical golden sky-orb that is mentioned in the ancient legends of the southerners? They speak of an orb of heat, though we laugh at their preposterous tales.

Here, at daybreak, the dark night lightens but a little to a light grey sky-sheet. Then, at dusk, the sky-sheet, exhausted by its relentless eastward march and incessant deluges, fades once more to black.

Tell me more about this great sky-orb, oh learned one!

Andy

amish rob
10-02-2018, 10:36 AM
https://pics.me.me/urgent-warning-for-tomorrow-aliens-are-coming-to-earth-tomorrow-7594382.png

Dude, you have a silly, weird sense of humor that sometimes really makes me laugh.

Iím gonna miss you. Hahahahaha.

Peace,
Bob (heh heh, Bob, heh heh)

isla
10-02-2018, 10:51 AM
Man, you’re the best! I gotta get over to your rock and hang out with youse guys over there. I’d love to be able to take a world tour, just once, to see all my far flung friends.p, and their homes and towns and shops and gardens...

Thanks for the jam!

Peace,
Robert

You're welcome anytime |:) But the sky cries a lot more here than where you're at. We are pretty well geared up for it, but if you're planning a trip bring a sowester.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-yLyPSBO99kY/UHosHc7uvsI/AAAAAAAABhc/ExF8hnjAaRw/s1600/rain+hat+for+dog.jpg

birlinn
10-02-2018, 10:54 AM
There was something strange in the sky here today too- a round orange thing, for about five minutes.

amish rob
10-02-2018, 10:56 AM
You say you have a name for the mythical golden sky-orb that is mentioned in the ancient legends of the southerners? They speak of an orb of heat, though we laugh at their preposterous tales.

Here, at daybreak, the dark night lightens but a little to a light grey sky-sheet. Then, at dusk, the sky-sheet, exhausted by its relentless eastward march and incessant deluges, fades once more to black.

Tell me more about this great sky-orb, oh learned one!

Andy

The Disc Of Flame? He is a mighty ruler in our land. He can catalyze epoxy in nanoseconds. Paint dries on the brush, between pot and surface. Raisins rare made when grapes arenít eaten immediately. (You have approximately 48 seconds from grape vine to raisin)
The dark and star filled sky relents to him slowly, it is true, and much clashing and gnashing occurs, the great fury of their blows showing as streaks of red thrown up from the horizon, heralding the coming of the Disc. Once he has attained the sky, Time is short. By midday, the sky is white with his rage, and he has grown to hundreds of kilometers in diameter. There are certain mountain peaks here where you can actually reach up and touch the frills on the edge of the Disc. I recommend and oveglove.

The Disc, by the by, is merely the vehicle which bears the sun god. Heís some Greek dude, I think.

Fortunately, the ones who came before us devised special weapons to fight the power of the Disc. We absorb the fury of his passage with magical plants, which convert the fire from the sky into clever, tubular red and green packages. The ones before called these weapons JalapeŮos.
We also have a plant made from no apparent direct ancestor by the people of this land, and it seems to be a sort of spear that feeds on Disc energy and climbs to the sky to defend us. The spear tips concentrate energy into a sugar form for storage, and when the plants die, their life force given to protect us from the fury of the Disc, to act as a sink, if you will, we collect and feast on the spear tips, first ceremonially roasting them as offerings. Corny, I know, but true.

Our true god is the gourd. Protector of earth from the scorching rays of the Disc. Giver of soups and scary faces.

Also, modern usses have devised large shiny shields of a sort which convert the Disc energy into human energy. We have literally harnessed the power of the skygod!

Do you have similar pumps or mechanisms for the blotting sheet?

Wait! The best part. The end of the day, when the Disc leaves us to torment the others, the sky again falls to black. An inky, swirly sky, we have, innumerable pin pricks of faint white, traces of ancient, foreign Disc gods. And the sweeping arc of the Discís passing leaves the land with a cooling breeze, which, combined with the velvet sky draped upon us, and the springing to life of all the lower, unshielded inhabitants, make the end of the parade the finest part, for me.

Sad to se the life giving Disc leave, yet wonderful to see his pale imitation, and reflect on the lack of his warming caress.

Now, time to get all that epoxy work done, quick, before he comes back!

Peace,
Robert

amish rob
10-02-2018, 10:57 AM
There was something strange in the sky here today too- a round orange thing, for about five minutes.
Was it a basketball? :)

Peace,
Not A Good Guesser

Ted Hoppe
10-02-2018, 10:59 AM
This first rain made my neighbor crash his car into the local powerpole. We have been without power for 2 hours - just came back.

It hasn't really rained in 4 months.

SKIP KILPATRICK
10-02-2018, 11:04 AM
I wondered where our rain went, please enjoy it and keep it a while, we've had enough.

Per National Weather Service: YTD for Richmond 2018 48.59 inches /// normal year total for this point ytd 34.22 inches.

departure from normal YTD 14.37 inches.

blown away the averages:

Average annual precipitation - rainfall:
43.64 inch

Days per year with precipitation - rainfall:
116 days

Annual hours of sunshine:
2663 hours

AndyG
10-02-2018, 11:22 AM
Do you have similar pumps or mechanisms for the blotting sheet?

We have, since the Old Snow Gods left four hundred generations ago, great ice-carved clefts among the mountainous regions, of which there are many in these northern lands. These clefts filled, long past, with the sky-sheets damp offerings, and provide much amusement for those who sail, and great beauty besides.

Over a gross of these clefts are cunningly linked to mighty engines that endlessly turn in the force of the falling wet, and generate large amounts of magical power across the land. Yet that is nothing to the turning of the sky-engines, those impressive temp!es to the relentless wind-gods, those denizens of The High Places, which have produced more magic than we can ever use.

But our biggest magic harks from the ancient wetlands. It may sound unlikely (for so it is with all magic) but the marsh can be dried, and burned, and its smokey gift granted to new-born barley can be utilised to wonderous effect. I shall say no more on this, for this Nectar of the Damp Places is our secret magic.

Andy

amish rob
10-02-2018, 11:30 AM
We have, since the Old Snow Gods left four hundred generations ago, great ice-carved clefts among the mountainous regions, of which there are many in these northern lands. These clefts filled, long past, with the sky-sheets damp offerings, and provide much amusement for those who sail, and great beauty besides.

Over a gross of these clefts are cunningly linked to mighty engines that endlessly turn in the force of the falling wet, and generate large amounts of magical power across the land. Yet that is nothing to the turning of the sky-engines, those impressive temp!es to the relentless wind-gods, those denizens of The High Places, which have produced more magic than we can ever use.

But our biggest magic harks from the ancient wetlands. It may sound unlikely (for so it is with all magic) but the marsh can be dried, and burned, and its smokey gift granted to new-born barley can be utilised to wonderous effect. I shall say no more on this, for this Nectar of the Damp Places is our secret magic.

Andy

Oh, for peatís sake, now I know youíre fibbing.

Peace,
Bog ;)

sharpiefan
10-02-2018, 11:37 AM
CCR for the win! (pt 1)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=g4flAZEgtjs

Canoeyawl
10-02-2018, 11:38 AM
You're welcome anytime |:) But the sky cries a lot more here than where you're at. We are pretty well geared up for it, but if you're planning a trip bring a sowester.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-yLyPSBO99kY/UHosHc7uvsI/AAAAAAAABhc/ExF8hnjAaRw/s1600/rain+hat+for+dog.jpg

I thought sowesters were for pigs?

I wonder what to call this guy, maybe Pancho?

http://d1lfunetf0rx3e.cloudfront.net/production%2F1521341230299-r30zdxmecko-001d02361aa54b54aeca8ffb9579a100

sharpiefan
10-02-2018, 11:39 AM
CCR for the win! (pt 2)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Qp7AugTuODs

David G
10-02-2018, 11:45 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axw-LvGENUU

Jimmy W
10-02-2018, 11:47 AM
A bit of thread drift, but this is where Elmore is now. I visited him a while back. Lonnie Pitchford back to Elmore's right has a diddley bow on the side of his stone which I tried to play.

LeeG
10-02-2018, 11:57 AM
This first rain made my neighbor crash his car into the local powerpole. We have been without power for 2 hours - just came back.

I remember living in LA what happened after the first rain, cars careening of the freeways everywhere.

Flying Orca
10-02-2018, 12:00 PM
I love this thread. I have nothing to add, but I love it.

amish rob
10-02-2018, 12:06 PM

Oh, but you have added to it. Drip, drip, drip! :)

I must say, this place rarely disappoints. There are many clever, smart folks here, and I truly enjoy when everyone shines.

I smiled and laughed.

You guys weíre okay, too.

Peace,
Husband of a Very Frizzy Haired Wife (sheís very excited about the size her hair develops on skyfall days)

leikec
10-02-2018, 12:07 PM
It isn’t hard, but you can sure feel it hitting you. When it lands on your head, it sort of bloops all over, then starts oozing, I guess, down your body. Some of it blooped off the end of my nose.

Anyway, I’m totally freaked out. Does anyone know what is happening?

Peace,
Wet

I'm guessing it's hail that is lacking self esteem...

Jeff C

Canoeyawl
10-02-2018, 12:10 PM
Lacking self-esteem can be hail.

Edit to add; Life can be hail

amish rob
10-02-2018, 12:11 PM
I'm guessing it's hail that is lacking self esteem...

Jeff C

Dang. Gold star for you.

You got me good with this one. The image is glorious. In my head, the hail speaks like Droopy.

Peace,
Robert

TomF
10-02-2018, 12:13 PM
Hebrews wandering in the desert allegedly called "manna". Which literally translates to "what is it?"

isla
10-02-2018, 12:17 PM
A bit of thread drift, but this is where Elmore is now. I visited him a while back. Lonnie Pitchford back to Elmore's right has a diddley bow on the side of his stone which I tried to play.

Thanks Jimmy.

leikec
10-02-2018, 12:20 PM
No worries...it's just humidity.

https://youtu.be/5zPKZP5821o

Jeff C

amish rob
10-02-2018, 12:20 PM

Yes, thanks a lot for getting this off track, Jimmy. We were having a serious conversation about a very concrete topic, and along you come with local photos related to a previous post.

Thanks a lot for showing us something cool to go along with the jams weíve all heard. What a thread ruiner!

Wait, What the heck was I talking about? Raisins? :D

Peace,
Robert

Ted Hoppe
10-02-2018, 12:28 PM
Yes, thanks a lot for getting this off track, Jimmy. We were having a serious conversation about a very concrete topic, and along you come with local photos related to a previous post.

Thanks a lot for showing us something cool to go along with the jams we’ve all heard. What a thread ruiner!

Peace,
Robert

Harvest time!

https://66.media.tumblr.com/1a065888d2b08113a300875786485752/tumblr_o49bzrYWMG1tooympo1_500.gif

John of Phoenix
10-02-2018, 12:55 PM
It's like black ice to some Phoenix drivers - everywhere becomes a school zone. The rest still drive like maniacs. It's a poor mix but the pile-ups give the news people something to talk about.

Jimmy W
10-02-2018, 12:55 PM
No worries...it's just humidity.

https://youtu.be/5zPKZP5821o

Jeff C

I hate it when I get out of the truck to take a photo of something and both my glasses and the camera lens immediately fog up.

Heather looked like she had been swimming by the end of this 45 minute set. It was about 95 degrees F.

AndyG
10-02-2018, 02:13 PM
There's always a reason to be cheerful. ...In several parts.

The third being quite notable.

Andy

Meanwhile, your gourd scary folk...do recall that the heads of ancestors were kept for religious uses by our ancestors nobbut 100 generations ago. I believe the idea was appropiated for the solstice. Today, carved in cheap and rubbish 'pumpkins' they're a shallow (and rapidly rotting) reminder of the endless hassle caused the carving of the same in what I'd call swedes. Though those here call turnips 'swede', and swedes 'neeps', while tumshies are something else, and you might know rotubaga as swedes. The real Swedes, meanwhile, throw up their hands in confusion.

As do I.

Andy

bluedog225
10-02-2018, 02:49 PM
Wettest September since 1921 here in Austin. Going to be a glorious spring. Adsorption abounds.

Mike.Higgins.94301
10-02-2018, 03:28 PM
While anchored off Marshall Beach on Tomales Bay last Sunday night, around 1AM, I was awakened by the wonderful sound of rain falling on my cabin top. There are few experiences better than being in a rainstorm without getting wet.

Canoeyawl
10-02-2018, 03:31 PM
Not a friggin drop here!

oznabrag
10-02-2018, 03:45 PM

Thanks a lot for showing us something cool to go along with the jams weíve all heard. What a thread ruiner!

Peace,
Robert

That's a head stone, Bob.

It'd be gneiss if you didn't take it for granite.

oznabrag
10-02-2018, 03:49 PM
Wettest September since 1921 here in Austin. Going to be a glorious spring. Adsorption abounds.

Yeah. It rained at least an hour a day for three weeks. Sometimes 8 hours.

It is weird rain, though.

The two showers I got today were like Springtime.

VERY unsettling weather.

skuthorp
10-02-2018, 03:57 PM
When you find out let us know down under, there's not much of it about here either.

Garret
10-02-2018, 04:23 PM
I think y'all need to rain this thread in - as you're acting precipitously.

I remember seeing a bright thing in the sky a few weeks ago, but I forget what it's called.

Speaking of humdiddy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPGf77t9hRA#t=16

skuthorp
10-02-2018, 04:27 PM
Aus has just had the driest September since records were kept, 1855. All of NSW and most of the rest of the country is in severe drought.

isla
10-02-2018, 05:44 PM
Our well dried out this year, only the third time in 34 years. The first time was the first year we lived here. We didn't realize that it could dry, so we used water like we were on a main supply. The second time was a very hot summer, 1997 I think, and we had family visiting, so lots of showers and baths etc.

Jimmy W
10-02-2018, 06:33 PM
Some beautiful light in the sky here. The sun has set, but there are clouds overhead that are still lit by the setting sun. Beautiful soft reddish golden light.

hawkeye54
10-02-2018, 08:45 PM

Ah yes, that first rain that lifts the oil from the freeway surface - and makes it slicker than..... (Ok, you finish the sentence as you please).

Back about 1973, I was on the 405, if I recall, and saw a Mustang slide past on the shoulder - backward.... The driver's facial expression was priceless.

Rick

Durnik
10-02-2018, 11:17 PM
^ I'll bet!

We had a glimpse here of a brightish spot in the sky.. old folks say it's called 'the sun'.. dunno, think they're losing it. 0-:

Traditionally, Sept here is semi dry and Oct, real dry. I've been workin and walking thru mud and puddles in the fields and by the barn.. someit ain't right. And like Oz, the rain has had a spring like feel to it. Bizarre.

downthecreek
10-03-2018, 02:29 AM

Clothes becoming transparent? Pictures! Pictures, or it didn't happen! BY:D

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
10-03-2018, 03:53 AM
.... Then, at dusk, the sky-sheet, exhausted by its relentless eastward march and incessant deluges, fades once more to black.

Andy

The relentless eastward march is propelled by our wind turbines - huge whirling blades- which are connected to the electrical power grid.

This might be perpetual motion.

TomF
10-03-2018, 06:25 AM
The relentless eastward march is propelled by our wind turbines - huge whirling blades- which are connected to the electrical power grid.

This might be perpetual motion.bravo! :D

Paul Pless
10-03-2018, 06:37 AM

all due to small special interest group lobbying by sailboat owners. . .
this is what's wrong with socialist governments

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/6b/fd/54/6bfd54d4f38425727615643039b4cea9.jpg

TomF
10-03-2018, 06:40 AM
Wow. I'm part of a nefarious cabal!

StevenBauer
10-03-2018, 07:02 AM

This.

TomF
10-03-2018, 07:19 AM
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time...

amish rob
10-03-2018, 08:59 AM

Wait. That one guy was RIGHT, finally? Bound to happen eventually, I suppose.

Peace,
Robert

Paul Pless
10-03-2018, 09:04 AM
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time...tears in rain

oznabrag
10-03-2018, 09:41 AM
Ah yes, that first rain that lifts the oil from the freeway surface - and makes it slicker than..... (Ok, you finish the sentence as you please).

Back about 1973, I was on the 405, if I recall, and saw a Mustang slide past on the shoulder - backward.... The driver's facial expression was priceless.

Rick

There used to be a high-arch bridge over the Calcasieu River on US 90 near Sulphur, LA.

A friend of mine was going to New Orleans after a long dry spell, and traffic was stalled on the bridge.

It started to rain, and an 18-wheeler uphill from him just broke loose!

There was nothing anyone could do about it in that traffic jam, but hold tight and hope. Barry said that the truck was moving about 1 or 2 MPH, but when it hit any other vehicle it would break them loose, too!

He said that he watched in horror as this sliding pileup moved past his car with inches to spare.

I'll bet THAT was a trip!

amish rob
10-03-2018, 09:55 AM
To follow up, as the rain ruined everything, we went to the mountains. The kids’ grands and great grands are camping, anyway, so went to visit them.

The dog chased mallard hens all day, and spun 11,045,876 circles in the sand, which makes her jowls and eyes look CRAZY!

I am pleased to say the mountains look more green than brown, finally. One more season of logging the dead, dying, and overcrowded trees should make a huge difference.

And, that stuff is back again. Today the individual chunks of skyfall are large, and dreadfully cold. They slap into earthly objects with sick, wet thuds, and splatter subatomic ice particles, creating ripples of shivers.

And, now, a gratuitous dog sleeping picture.

Peace,
Wet Head

amish rob
10-03-2018, 10:47 AM
Okay, now I’m TOTALLY freaked out. Those sky things are back. They are huge, and poofy, and very dark. No Disc.

If I look up, my eyeballs drown.

The dirt smells alive. The big grey tomcat is NOT amused.

The dog is. She’s spinning around in the rain as I type.

I wish I were a dog. I think I’d be a great dog...

Peace,
Robert

TomF
10-03-2018, 11:13 AM
Being a dog with a happy life/family would be awesome.

Paul Pless
10-03-2018, 11:14 AM
its a dog eat dog world. . .
Okay, now Iím TOTALLY freaked out. Those sky things are back. They are huge, and poofy, and very dark. No Disc.

If I look up, my eyeballs drown.

The dirt smells alive. The big grey tomcat is NOT amused.

The dog is. Sheís spinning around in the rain as I type.

I wish I were a dog. I think Iíd be a great dog...

Peace,
Robert

AndyG
10-03-2018, 11:25 AM
The dirt smells alive.

One of my favourite words: petrichor.

Andy

amish rob
10-03-2018, 11:26 AM
Clothes becoming transparent? Pictures! Pictures, or it didn't happen! BY:D

It didnít happen.

I was attempting, using the blunt and egregious affront to language I deign call ďenglishĒ, to evoke images in a poetic fashion, to indicate I was speaking of water.
Water, as is widely known, renders certain clothing transparent.

This thread can stand as a summation of my life. Pointless, but Dedicated To The Embetterment Of People Movers Everywhere.
There is not an ounce of stupid nor weak in me, not not a microgram of malice left. I live only to attempt to reflect the beauty of the world, and the wonder of life. I am One. I am Love. I am everything, everyone; everywhere, everywhen.

-
Robert

amish rob
10-03-2018, 11:27 AM
its a dog eat dog world. . .
Tell me something I donít know.

Peace,
Dog Food

amish rob
10-03-2018, 11:27 AM
Being a dog with a happy life/family would be awesome.
You looking for one? :D

Peace,
Excellent Actor

amish rob
10-03-2018, 11:40 AM
One of my favourite words: petrichor.

Andy

I try and not let on as Iím smart.

I erased a post I almost posted on the cruise ship thread about the romance of the susurruses to be detected deep within a Venetian alleyway, while probing deeper into the heart of the city, contributing my own faint call of the yulohís squeak, and the lanyardís dull response, softer still, fading into the arrhythmic gurgle of the prowís cleaving passage and the pale reply of the numerous, ancient stoops lining the shore, refracting the slightest, ephemeral part of myself added to the timeless toll born by those proud submarine foundations, to the eternal cacophony that defines such a timeless city...

And, yes, I love petrichor. There is a vibrant loam near me that exemplifies the word. Not only the smell, but the feel. Itís like energy. Well, it is.

I'm well chuffed about things like this. That we can all find each other, and have commonalities we donít have at home. I donít have much opportunity to use susurrus or petrichor in my daily life.

I feel either word might instigate a fight. Yes, itís that bad. :)

Peace,
Monosyllabic

downthecreek
10-03-2018, 11:45 AM
It didn’t happen.

I was attempting, using the blunt and egregious affront to language I deign call “english”, to evoke images in a poetic fashion, to indicate I was speaking of water.
Water, as is widely known, renders certain clothing transparent.

Robert

I find it impossible to believe you don't recognise this comment for what it is - a joke, based on a frequent WB meme and in the spirit of your own opening post. Don't look for malice where there is none. Bad for the soul.

amish rob
10-03-2018, 11:50 AM
I find it impossible to believe you don't recognise this comment for what it is - a joke, based on a frequent WB meme and in the spirit of your own opening post. Don't look for malice where there is none. Bad for the soul.

And you found no humor in my obvious self deprecating barb, related to the hub bub?

One of us doesn’t understand humor. Probably me. I can’t even spell it properly. Rumour has it, anyway.

-
Robert

ETA your habit of quoting part of my posts in order to frame one point is bad. Read the whole post, eh? Quote the whole post. I don’t just scribble crap. It is more carefully written than you seem to think.

TomF
10-03-2018, 11:57 AM
You looking for one? :D

Peace,
Excellent Actor

As it so happens, The Daughter and my son in law are getting a pup in about 3 weeks. She is just over the moon joyful - went and visited the kennel a week or so back, and blissed out with six puppies crawling all over her. A starter baby, for sure.

amish rob
10-03-2018, 11:59 AM
As it so happens, The Daughter and my son in law are getting a pup in about 3 weeks. She is just over the moon joyful - went and visited the kennel a week or so back, and blissed out with six puppies crawling all over her. A starter baby, for sure.

Must be a language barrier.

Are YOU looking for a dog? Iím looking for a career change. Basically, Iíve been a shiftless layabout all my life, anyway. And, boy, can I find and retrieve tennis balls. And I wonít even slobber on them.

Peace,
What Kind Of Puppy?! So Cool!
(email to follow, presently...:))

oznabrag
10-03-2018, 01:18 PM
I got one Supercute 'rat terrier' mutt who could charm the pants offa Jimmy Hoffa, one Brown Dustmop, who was rescued from horror and who poops on the porch because he doesn't know any better, one unspeakable badass terrier whom I describe as 65 pounds of dog in a 45 pound sack . . .literally 65 pounds of teeth and attitude in a 45 pound sack. . . , plus one goofy, shy, lovable/mush-hound/Anatolian Shepherd who believes the Human Race are aliens with a death wish.

All free to a good home.

Also, one 6-pound, Siamese-mix, Rat-killing Machine with excellent socialization, who would not poop in the house if you threatened her life.

Takers?

downthecreek
10-03-2018, 01:57 PM
And you found no humor in my obvious self deprecating barb, related to the hub bub?

I have no idea what you are talking about here. And I shall continue to post as I choose.

But, Rob, I thought this was a great thread and thoroughly enjoyed the whimsical imagination that has gone into the OP and all your subsequent posts to the thread. And my own post was in that spirit.

But if you are so determined to be insulted there's nothing I can do about it, so I will just leave you to it.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
10-03-2018, 02:02 PM
ACB once said that "Humour seldom crosses the Atlantic, and never the Rockies".

amish rob
10-03-2018, 02:07 PM
I have no idea what you are talking about here. And I shall continue to post as I choose.

But, Rob, I thought this was a great thread and thoroughly enjoyed the whimsical imagination that has gone into the OP and all your subsequent posts to the thread. And my own post was in that spirit.

But if you are so determined to be insulted there's nothing I can do about it, so I will just leave you to it.

It has been made made painfully clear you never have any idea what Iím talking about. I blame the language barrier. (See? Humor.) Maybe if you slowly and carefully read all the words, you can eventually suss out the meaning. Let me know if you do, Iíd like to know myself (See previous note).

Apparently, my dry, self directed humour is lost on some. Meh.

Not to fret. I am as confused, and confusing, in real life.

-
Robert

Paul Pless
10-03-2018, 02:09 PM
A starter baby, for sure.

Stuff White People Like #53 Dogs (https://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/02/04/53-dogs/)

A lot of cultures love dogs Ė be it for entertainment, labor, or other. But white people love dogs on an entirely different level.

It should be understood that in white culture, dogs are considered training for having children. That is to say that any white couple must get a dog before they have kids. This will prepare them for responsibility by having another creature to feed, supervise itís bathroom activities, and to love. Because of this, white people generally assume that their dog is their favorite child unless otherwise stated.

When actual children are born, the dog is not displaced but rather remains as the most important member of the household. This is because of the fact that white children will eventually hate their parents, but dogs will love anyone who feeds them.

White people generally believe that dogs have human emotions and that they are capable of loving certain TV shows, films, and music. ďBuster just loves watching Six Feet Under!Ē Even though most dogs would enjoy watching Hitler if he were getting attention every time it came on the TV.

They also believe that their dogs share similar tastes in food Ė ďLittle Ben Kweller likes the Organic food the best.Ē Forgetting the fact that dogs enjoy eating their own feces, and pretty much anything that falls onto the floor.

When searching for homes, many white people will require large yards so that their ďdog can run around.Ē If you work in real estate, this can be exploited for large markups when selling to white people.

It is also a proven fact, that dogs are often used by white people to attract members of the opposite sex. Bringing a puppy or dog to a local dog park, will encourage interaction and conversation. Even more so than a Mac Laptop.

If white people are ever talking about their dogs, it is essential that you reassure them that their dogs are absolutely special and unique. That they are being properly cared for, and that treating like children is the only way to care for a pet. Under no circumstance EVER should you say anything that is derogatory towards dogs, critical of spoiling dogs, or that they are not full members of society who deserve the same rights as humans. Doing any of these three things will completely destroy all relationships you might have had with a white person

amish rob
10-03-2018, 02:12 PM
ACB once said that "Humour seldom crosses the Atlantic, and never the Rockies".
Because the ďuĒ deforms at altitude?

Peace,
Robert

amish rob
10-03-2018, 02:14 PM
Stuff White People Like #53 Dogs (https://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/02/04/53-dogs/)

A lot of cultures love dogs Ė be it for entertainment, labor, or other. But white people love dogs on an entirely different level.

It should be understood that in white culture, dogs are considered training for having children. That is to say that any white couple must get a dog before they have kids. This will prepare them for responsibility by having another creature to feed, supervise itís bathroom activities, and to love. Because of this, white people generally assume that their dog is their favorite child unless otherwise stated.

When actual children are born, the dog is not displaced but rather remains as the most important member of the household. This is because of the fact that white children will eventually hate their parents, but dogs will love anyone who feeds them.

White people generally believe that dogs have human emotions and that they are capable of loving certain TV shows, films, and music. ďBuster just loves watching Six Feet Under!Ē Even though most dogs would enjoy watching Hitler if he were getting attention every time it came on the TV.

They also believe that their dogs share similar tastes in food Ė ďLittle Ben Kweller likes the Organic food the best.Ē Forgetting the fact that dogs enjoy eating their own feces, and pretty much anything that falls onto the floor.

When searching for homes, many white people will require large yards so that their ďdog can run around.Ē If you work in real estate, this can be exploited for large markups when selling to white people.

It is also a proven fact, that dogs are often used by white people to attract members of the opposite sex. Bringing a puppy or dog to a local dog park, will encourage interaction and conversation. Even more so than a Mac Laptop.

If white people are ever talking about their dogs, it is essential that you reassure them that their dogs are absolutely special and unique. That they are being properly cared for, and that treating like children is the only way to care for a pet. Under no circumstance EVER should you say anything that is derogatory towards dogs, critical of spoiling dogs, or that they are not full members of society who deserve the same rights as humans. Doing any of these three things will completely destroy all relationships you might have had with a white person

When we are traversing granite domescapes, the dog must be watched vigilantly. She LOVES marmot poop.

Peace,
No Dogs Ever Lick Me (Ewwww!)

Lew Barrett
10-03-2018, 02:32 PM
Where we are right now it falls mainly on the plain.

amish rob
10-03-2018, 02:36 PM

Quť bueno! Y quť suerte.

Is it nice? Descriptions, photos, etc.

Paz,
Roberto

Flying Orca
10-03-2018, 02:38 PM
Apparently, my dry, self directed humour is lost on some.

To be fair, your wit is Atacama-standard, at least.

(There should be some corollary to Poe's Law (https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Poe%27s_Law), to the effect that it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between the dryest humour and the utterly serious.)

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
10-03-2018, 02:40 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmADMB2utAo

amish rob
10-03-2018, 02:40 PM
Uh oh.

The dark sky cover is now rumbling and bellowing. Flashes of light can be seen in the sky.

We remain stupefied by the battle raging above us.

Reports are the relatives in the mountains are being coated with a sticky white residue that clumps easily into tennis ball sized lumps. Apparently, this residue is also cold. The people who live there are attempting to move about on sticks tied to their feet.

The world is full of wonders.

My yard is full of puddles.

Which means digging time!

Peace,
Track Marshall, And Chief Engineer Of Ramps And Berms (Which I Have Been Notified Need To Be Bigger...)

amish rob
10-03-2018, 02:44 PM
To be fair, your wit is Atacama-standard, at least.

(There should be some corollary to Poe's Law (https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Poe%27s_Law), to the effect that it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between the dryest humour and the utterly serious.)

Peru got that right! :D

The interface does impede. I do have quite the expressive head front, and my smile is too easy and goofy for anyone to ever think I’m serious about anything.

I blame the books. I was warned what harm they’d do me.

I never listen.

Peace,
Robert

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
10-03-2018, 02:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFIBVNhjs7E

AndyG may be able to translate

Flying Orca
10-03-2018, 02:49 PM
I blame the books. I was warned what harm they’d do me.

I never listen.

See, now? You're just like most of the rest of this unruly mob. Probably why we like you so much.

amish rob
10-03-2018, 03:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFIBVNhjs7E

You had me at in-u-form-u-aryyyyyYYYYYY!

Very funny.

Peace,
Have You Got Some In Size 50, Then. No, Iím Used To It. Itís Why I Havenít Any. :)

John of Phoenix
10-03-2018, 03:05 PM
It should be understood that in white culture, dogs are considered training for having children. That is to say that any white couple must get a dog before they have kids. This will prepare them for responsibility by having another creature to feed, supervise it’s bathroom activities, and to love. Because of this, white people generally assume that their dog is their favorite child unless otherwise stated.This is true. I refused to have kids with my first wife because she beat our Golden Retriever in the face with her shoe. I didn't trust her not to abuse the dog so I gave him to a rancher when I left for Korea and she took up with a farmer while I was freezing my ass off flying patrol along the DMZ. I still miss that dog.

AndyG
10-03-2018, 03:12 PM

Translate? That's how everyone speaks, surely?

Andy

LeeG
10-03-2018, 03:14 PM
Uh oh.

The dark sky cover is now rumbling and bellowing. Flashes of light can be seen in the sky.

We remain stupefied by the battle raging above us.

Reports are the relatives in the mountains are being coated with a sticky white residue that clumps easily into tennis ball sized lumps. Apparently, this residue is also cold. The people who live there are attempting to move about on sticks tied to their feet.

The world is full of wonders.

My yard is full of puddles.

Which means digging time!

Peace,
Track Marshall, And Chief Engineer Of Ramps And Berms (Which I Have Been Notified Need To Be Bigger...)

wow, looking at the weather map there’s stuff all over the valley. As a kid the first rain was something, after that Tule fog for spooky adventures.

amish rob
10-03-2018, 03:25 PM
Translate? That's how everyone speaks, surely?

Andy

I miss dearly my friendís parents. They were from that other Land, but boy there accents were corkers, just the same. ;) I absolutely adore the lilt and swirl of the language. The roots of native tongues lie deeply embedded in the English overlay.

I imagine I sound like what Vonnegut described his own voice to be like; a bandsaw cutting sheet tin. Gah. I wish I were telepathic rather than being forced to squawk like a crowbear. Or that my voice sounded other than a monotonous drone.

My kindom for a lilt, the merest brogue, swirl, or caress. Anything but water soup!

Peace,
Robert

birlinn
10-03-2018, 03:40 PM
Back to rain- I see we have 4" forecast for Monday/Tuesday next. How accurate the forecast is, we shall see.

AndyG
10-03-2018, 05:12 PM
I had the pleasure of talking to Kurt for a few minutes in ... ummmm ... 1984. Handsaw? Tin? I can avouch for that. But it was, at least, intelligible.

Pop over to Fife, and you need a translator.

Andy

Peerie Maa
10-03-2018, 05:16 PM
I had the pleasure of talking to Kurt for a few minutes in ... ummmm ... 1984. Handsaw? Tin? I can avouch for that. But it was, at least, intelligible.

Andy

Fife, that's nuthin. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij_5UGpjUsU

AndyG
10-03-2018, 06:26 PM
Strabane? Ouch. I met my wife fifteen years ago. She's from Belfast. And - as a lover of accents - I started to try Norn Irish, particularly when solo commuting in the car, listening to the radio, and repeating things As They Would Be Said over there. I got quite good, to my ears.

About a year ago, we were reading to each other some (particularly fine) short stories from D'Black Nort', written in the 1800s, and I said "can I read it in a Northern Irish accent?"

She raised a quizzical eyebrow. I began. "So I did". About ten pages in, she stopped me.

"That's too feckin' good."

It is extremely difficult. Easily the hardest regional UK accent to mimic. To have to think about it, ruins it.

My own accent?

A bastardised mix of RP, Cumbrian dialect, Newcastle and a load of Manchester-short-vowels, with a splash of Central-Belt vernacular spread on top, like a splash of butter on a drop scone. I've never heard anyone speak like me. It's a fright.

So it is.

Andy

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
10-03-2018, 11:52 PM
Pop down to Hawick and collect some new aspects for your collection.

Jimmy W
10-04-2018, 01:17 AM
IRMA THOMAS - "It's Raining"

https://youtu.be/CXPlec9jXZw

downthecreek
10-04-2018, 01:57 AM

Andy

Aweel, at least we're nae folks tae ca' fush feesh! (As I heard an old lady from the Kingdom of Fife reply to a tease about the accent, many years ago when I was working at the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary)

I'm sure it was raining at the time!