PDA

View Full Version : Bilge Freshener: Spark, my Gp14

Art Haberland
10-01-2018, 05:08 PM
It's been a hard couple of weeks as I worked double time to get Spark, my 1964 GP14 finished enough to sail at her debut at St. Michaels this week. While her paint and bright work are still a bit of a mess, I did rebuild her mast, boom, re-rig her, and had the trailer repaired and replaced. It was the last part that put me so far behind as it took the welder three months to rebuild the central "spine".

The GP-14 is not a well known boat here in the US. Built in the UK by Bell Woodworking, Spark was part of the small but lively race fleet down in Stone Harbor and Ocean City before being taken up to Bensalem Pa for a more relaxed life cruising the lakes north and west of Philly. According to the permit that was still stuck to her side, she had last been in the water in 1981 before being stuffed into a barn "for later". I bought her last year as Christmas Present to myself as I fondly remember that race fleet growing up and always wanted a GP.

I just had to share these pics. I still have a few things on the list to cross off, but she is more or less ready to go.

bamamick
10-01-2018, 05:36 PM
She looks great, especially behind that tow vehicle.

I really wish that WoodenBoat would resurrect the WOOD regatta. An open Portsmouth event for wooden one-designs might be something that would encourage some folks to scrub their boats and get them wet again. I enjoyed the heck out of sailing the 210 in the one we were lucky enough to participate in.

Mickey Lake

SKIP KILPATRICK
10-01-2018, 07:40 PM
Looks good Art!

Be sure to post some photos from St. Michael's.

downthecreek
10-02-2018, 09:20 AM
It's been a hard couple of weeks as I worked double time to get Spark, my 1964 GP14 finished enough to sail at her debut at St. Michaels this week.

I was sailing one of those 60 years ago and it was already a bit beat up (not by me) There's a reason why some classes fade away and others just keep on going and growing. As Dr. Maturin would have said - wish you joy of her!

TomF
10-02-2018, 09:22 AM
Looks like fun is just a short drive away.

AndyG
10-02-2018, 09:57 AM
Always had a soft spot for the GP 14. And what's better than 1 GP14? "Hunneds!"

https://youtu.be/C9l3U24ygpE

...though in my Ent I never really saw much of their transoms. ;)

Andy

John Meachen
10-02-2018, 03:15 PM
I have never sailed one myself,but everybody I know that has rates them very highly.Have fun and report back to us-preferably with pictures.

obscured by clouds
10-03-2018, 09:01 AM
Always had a soft spot for the GP 14. And what's better than 1 GP14? "Hunneds!"

https://youtu.be/C9l3U24ygpE
;)

Andy

gate starts. Don't you just love 'em. Especially when there are dozens of competitors who have never tried one.

John Meachen
10-03-2018, 03:02 PM
gate starts. Don't you just love 'em. Especially when there are dozens of competitors who have never tried one.

So I am not the only one who has participated in a gate start that had to be aborted because a competitor sailed between a gate boat and the guard launch?

Art Haberland
10-03-2018, 07:31 PM
I arrived too late at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum to splash Spark, but tomorrow starts early! I will take pictures