PDA

View Full Version : iOS 12

ron ll
10-01-2018, 12:31 PM
I installed iOS 12 on my iphone and it fixed a problem on which I had given up hope. I use a picture of my boat as the lock screen, it is in portrait format. Previously, if I had shut the phone off while I was viewing something in landscape mode, the next time I turned the phone on the lock screen picture of my boat would open in landscape mode, cutting off half the picture. With iOS 12, it now opens properly in portrait mode regardless of how it was shut down. I'm not an Apple fanboy, in fact all my computers are Windows, but I like the iphone, and occasionally Apple even gets something right. :D

CK 17
10-01-2018, 12:59 PM
I have fully assimilated. I spent the first several years fighting the way apple devices want to sync and integrate with each other.

About a year ago I gave up. I just let them do what they want to do. We buried the last PC we’ll ever own and now have a Mac. For good or bad, better or worse, We’re all in.

btw, no trouble with iOS 12.

mmd
10-01-2018, 01:09 PM
I saw a funny meme on Facebook yesterday:

"How do you milk sheep?"

"Release a new iPhone..."

willmarsh3
10-01-2018, 01:11 PM
Yep and the new iPhone xs max costs as much as a danged laptop.

ron ll
10-01-2018, 01:32 PM
Yep and the new iPhone xs max costs as much as a danged laptop.

Yes, and it is danged near the size of a laptop. Remember when smaller was better and one would expect to pay a premium for miniaturization? Now it seems people will pay extra for bigger. I still use the iphone SE because it FITS IN MY DAMNED POCKET! I don't want to carry something that requires me to buy a purse. :)

willmarsh3
10-01-2018, 02:26 PM
I just visited the Apple store during my lunch break and held an iPhone XS max in my hand. What a fine piece of jewelry of a phone. The back was made of a translucent white glass as well. It's the same size as the 6 plus that I carry in my pocket. The screen covers the entire front of the unit though which is why they can get the 6.5" diagonal measurement. And there is still no head phone jack.

lupussonic
10-01-2018, 02:32 PM
Sill with an Iphone 4s, cos its small.

ron ll
10-01-2018, 04:42 PM
Sill with an Iphone 4s, cos its small.

Try the SE. Same size but all the modern power and doo dads.

Bob Adams
10-01-2018, 05:37 PM
Try the SE. Same size but all the modern power and doo dads.

Got one 3 years ago. No complaints.

Joe (SoCal)
10-01-2018, 06:25 PM
Have had IOS 12 since day one - Downloading macOS Mojave now https://www.apple.com/macos/mojave/

willmarsh3
10-01-2018, 07:02 PM
Joe are you going to get the Xs Max?

Joe (SoCal)
10-01-2018, 07:15 PM
Joe are you going to get the Xs Max?

I Just got the X so I'll wait but I did trade my Apple Watch 3 for the 4 they gave me enough for the trade in to make it worth it ;)

elf
10-01-2018, 08:24 PM
Most people don't need a computer. All they want to do is FB-Instagram, email, buy stuff on eBay, Amazon, take pix and send them around to their friends. Most people haven't needed a computer for the last 10 years or so.

The iPad is just the ticket for them, except that it doesn't make phone calls or text. Make the phone a bit bigger and it does everything they need.

And it takes amazing photos. (If they learn how to make it do that...)

I have an 8 Plus. I can't do any professional work with it, can't process images from my real cameras, can't send out invoices etc. Everything else? It's great. Calendar, map, deposit checks in my account, pay bills, tide chart, wind chart, weather report, radar, hurrican warnings, listen to music, show off my photos? No need for a computer.

willmarsh3
10-01-2018, 10:07 PM
IOS does a lot of things well but it still has limitations that only a laptop can fill in.

I Just got the X so I'll wait but I did trade my Apple Watch 3 for the 4 they gave me enough for the trade in to make it worth it ;)

Awesome!