PDA

View Full Version : Electrical question

bluedog225
10-01-2018, 12:24 PM
We used to play a game at camp where 10 campers would hold hands and the two at the end would put our fingers on the cattle prod. Good times. Anyway, I hate getting shocked.

I don't know enough about 120v to ask this question correctly. I'll do my best to make sense.

I've got a power strip with a breaker in it. Metal casing with 5 plugs. I thought it gave me a shock although it could have been a joint in my hand moving wrong.

Not eager to get shocked again, I got the multimeter and tested ground to the case, nothing. 116 v at the plugs, and 116 between one side of the plug and the case.

I'm guessing that the case would be grounded and that voltage between hot and ground would be expected.

Am I close? Anything else I should check? The thing is medium old. I could toss it (after a forensic exam) without too much worry though I hate to waste it.

Thanks

Tom

birlinn
10-01-2018, 12:26 PM
Shocking!
Don't try it with 240v.

Too Little Time
10-01-2018, 12:27 PM
You might check continuity between the case and ground. You might want to do that with the strip NOT plugged in. Or maybe that is what you did.

ron ll
10-01-2018, 12:35 PM
Throw it out and buy one with a plastic case.

Canoeyawl
10-01-2018, 12:49 PM
I had one like that, until I used it outside on a rainy day. Man you should have seen the arc, it burned a hole through the side of the steel case! Just dumb luck I wasn't holding it.

Iceboy
10-01-2018, 12:55 PM
Not accepting any fault for future lawsuits but the item is fine. Keep it dry and keep using it. Your readings are normal.

bluedog225
10-01-2018, 12:58 PM
I had one like that, until I used it outside on a rainy day. Man you should have seen the arc, it burned a hole through the side of the steel case! Just dumb luck I wasn't holding it.

And I have my answer. Thanks all!

ERGR
10-01-2018, 03:31 PM
You may have a leakage current when you apply high voltage although your multimeter indicated that the insulation was OK. Insulation properties are not necesserely linear. The test procedure for insulation usually requires that you apply a high voltage (e.g. 500V) and measure the leakage current. Just measuring the resistance at low voltage, which a mulitmeter does, is not sufficient to be safe. If you have reason to suspect an insulation problem and don't know for sure how to test the item, throw it away and buy a new one.
My experience is with 240 V and 400 V, and I'm assuming 120 V is similar
Erik