PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever been accused of something you didn't do?

Bob Adams
09-30-2018, 11:08 AM
Only once that I wasn't shown to be innocent. When I was a kid, a neighbor told my mother she saw me do something. I didn't. In fact I think it was a kid of similar build who lived down the street. I was angry. I denied it. I was punished. I still denied it. I was punished some more. Finally, I admitted to it just to end the punishments. Then I was punished some more for "lying". I was innocent. Can anyone relate? It was the neighbor's word against mine.

Donn
09-30-2018, 11:17 AM
I was once slandered by a lying bounder. I demanded satisfaction on the field of honor, and ran the blackguard through.

David G
09-30-2018, 11:18 AM
Only once that I wasn't shown to be innocent. When I was a kid, a neighbor told my mother she saw me do something. I didn't. In fact I think it was a kid of similar build who lived down the street. I was angry. I denied it. I was punished. I still denied it. I was punished some more. Finally, I admitted to it just to end the punishments. Then I was punished some more for "lying". I was innocent. Can anyone relate? It was the neighbor's word against mine.

I was full of mischief as a kid. Therefore, my name was always one of the first considered. So, yes. I was accused several times of things I had nothing to do with. Sometimes I was able to convince the relevant authority figures of my innocence... sometimes not. Got serious parental sanctions several times when I was actually blameless. OTOH... while that was aggravating, and I was incensed, I always sorta know that - on balance - I'd done far more things that I hadn't gotten blamed/caught/punished for. YMMV

McMike
09-30-2018, 11:19 AM
Yes, but I believe her over his privileged, entitled a55.

isla
09-30-2018, 11:20 AM
Interesting parable Bob, but Kavanaugh is still a scrote :p

Garret
09-30-2018, 11:21 AM
For sure. However, I got away with more... :)

David G
09-30-2018, 11:22 AM
http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?244840-Grey-Old-Party&p=5686406#post5686406

S.V. Airlie
09-30-2018, 11:27 AM
Being the youngest in my family, my older siblings broke every rule in the book at one time or another. By my arrival, they were usually one step ahead of me way before I put something into action that would have been frowned upon. Caught before I could act.

sarnella
09-30-2018, 12:09 PM
Being the youngest in my family, my older siblings broke every rule in the book at one time or another. By my arrival, they were usually one step ahead of me way before I put something into action that would have been frowned upon. Caught before I could act.
Being number 5 of six siblings, I resemble that remark.Y:o

George Jung
09-30-2018, 12:25 PM
Where there’s smoke, Bob. BTW....yer halo looks a bit tarnished.

leikec
09-30-2018, 12:52 PM
What I'm sure I didn't do is binge drink to the point where many of my high school classmates remembered it vividly 35 years later, and I never, ever lied about my drinking during a Senate Judiciary hearing.

I never testified that the Clintons were behind some nonsensical vast conspiracy to bring me down.

Jeff C

CWSmith
09-30-2018, 01:25 PM
What I'm sure I didn't do is binge drink to the point where many of my high school classmates remembered it vividly 35 years later, and I never, ever lied about my drinking during a Senate Judiciary hearing.

I never testified that the Clintons were behind some nonsensical vast conspiracy to bring me down.

Jeff C

+1 !

bamamick
09-30-2018, 01:37 PM
Yes, I was suspended from school for three days for smoking on a school bus. I have never smoked a cigarette in my life.

I was accused (with several others) of sexual harassment in the workplace.

I was twice accused of sexual discrimination when I had an opportunity to give someone a promotion but chose other candidates. In those cases I was exonerated based upon the report I wrote after the interview, in which I complimented both women but felt that neither had the experience needed for that job.

Finally, I was involved in a lawsuit where myself and another guy told a young lady she was overqualified for an operator's job but that we would gladly recommend her for a position in our lab. We were trying to be kind, since I don't think there is any way she could have lifted 55 pounds repeatedly. Apparently you can not tell someone that they are overqualified for a job?

So as you can see, I have struggled a bit with that slippery slope.

Mickey Lake

John Smith
09-30-2018, 01:54 PM

What's your point. Ford was very close to the one who tried to rape her. Do you think she'd accuse the wrong man? Dream on.

To answer your question, YES. I was accused of sexual harassment.

We had a new employee who was a rather attractive female. She was developing the bad habit of being late virtually every day. I took a moment and explained to her that management will fire her if she continues this habit.

Next thing I know she's accused me of sexual harassment.

Fortunately, our conversation had been overheard by others. Also fortunately, I had a reputation with management of always being truthful. Postmaster one day, not realizing I was on the other side of a partly open door, said to his supervisors, "At least smith (me) has never lied to me."

John Smith
09-30-2018, 01:56 PM
I don't believe this is all that complex. I have to believe the one who volunteered to take a polygraph and WANTS a thorough investigation. I cannot believe the one who wants neither.

BETTY-B
09-30-2018, 02:08 PM
I was once slandered by a lying bounder. I demanded satisfaction on the field of honor, and ran the blackguard through.

#Me Too?

CWSmith
09-30-2018, 02:42 PM
The funny thing is that when I've been accused of something I did not do I get very, very angry. I never cry or any of that nonsense.

It's the guilt of being caught that gets me emotional like that. I'm ashamed by what I did. The more I think of it, this is what I saw in Kavanaugh's testimony - shame and guilt at being caught.

David G
09-30-2018, 02:43 PM
the funny thing is that when i've been accused of something i did not do i get very, very angry. I never cry or any of that nonsense.

It's the guilt of being caught that gets me emotional like that. I'm ashamed by what i did. The more i think of it, this is what i saw in kavanaugh's testimony - shame and guilt at being caught.

See my previous mentions of DARVO.

paulf
09-30-2018, 03:22 PM
The funny thing is that when I've been accused of something I did not do I get very, very angry. I never cry or any of that nonsense.

It's the guilt of being caught that gets me emotional like that. I'm ashamed by what I did. The more I think of it, this is what I saw in Kavanaugh's testimony - shame and guilt at being caught.
I was never in High School, however the Marines were a cruel teacher. They had no deep respect for women, unless Mom was uttered.

As Ive grown and aged I realize on a balance, my crimes have outnumbered my convictions hypothetically speaking. I would generally swallow and take the opinion of the accusers even if I were innocent.

That said, I was never guilty of, or accused of sexual misconduct. When I took the bullet, so to speak, it was for being stupid, or falsely accused of same.

If I was hiring an employee, I would not hire this Man...for many other reasons.

Bob Adams
09-30-2018, 05:40 PM
Where there’s smoke, Bob. BTW....yer halo looks a bit tarnished.

What halo? I never claimed to have one? As to the rest, you guys assumed (you know what that means, right?) I was referring to Kavanugh.

Ian McColgin
09-30-2018, 06:20 PM
Like any openly free love person, I have been accused of things I actually did, and accused of things I did not do.

Like any political radical, I have been accused of things I did and accused of things I did not do.

I always follow my father's advice that a gentleman never tells.

Or, as the saying goes, one has the right to remain silent. Use it.

Another way to look at it: If you hurt someone, it will out no matter your excuses or denials. If you did not hurt a person, that will eventually out as well.

skuthorp
09-30-2018, 07:54 PM
W. C Fields has a quote: To paraphrase, "I always cuff small boys on sight. If they haven't done anything to deserve it today they will tomorrow"

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
09-30-2018, 07:54 PM
I was dragged through the mud by my ex-wife.
A polygraph test and God set things right.
That was back a long time ago and I'm still angry about it.
It doesn't go away.

Corvida
09-30-2018, 08:16 PM
I still remember being pulled out of class by the cops, terrified of what they had caught me for. They get me back to the office and start grilling me about some crazy crap I had nothing to do with. I was so relieved that I almost admitted to the stuff I had actually done. They set in to yelling at me, demanding I admit it, talking about how much grief I could save myself if I just admitted it. About 30 minutes of that and I couldn't take it any more. I started giggling and snickering. That's when they finally decided to check their facts a bit more closely. It turns out there's another kid with the same first name, last name, middle initial, and birth date as me. What finally gave them the clue was that our middle names both start with an M, but are not the same. So of course they tried telling me I didn't know my own name for a few minutes. Then one of them finally noticed the suspect was black, I was a blond haired, blue eyed white kid.

That's the funniest false accusation I've had, but far from the last. I tended to get in a lot of trouble, so there was no lack of guilt to go around. What I found though, is that every time I was falsely accused, I was generally more relieved than angry or worried. In my mind, I had no problem with them trying to prove something I hadn't done. The more they inconvenienced me, the more likely I'd have a wrongful prosecution case on my hands. All they were doing is building evidence for my case, so I could get me a nice fat settlement from the city/state.

David G
09-30-2018, 08:20 PM
I was dragged through the mud by my ex-wife.
A polygraph test and God set things right.
That was back a long time ago and I'm still angry about it.
It doesn't go away.

I always liked women. A lot of women. So - predictably - a certain % of them turned out to be weird. A couple were batspit crazy. It's flat out amazing how much damage a crazy woman can inflict. Luckily, it was just a couple. And I didn't marry either of 'em.

Mcjim
09-30-2018, 08:56 PM
At school I was frequently accused of things I didn't do.

My homework mostly.:rolleyes:

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
10-01-2018, 01:06 AM
Predictably - a certain % of them turned out to be weird. A couple were batspit crazy. It's flat out amazing how much damage a crazy woman can inflict.

All I can say is, she wasn't like that when I married her.

skuthorp
10-01-2018, 01:46 AM
But what was her mother like? If I thought to get serious about a girl I had a good look at her mother first…………..
And I always had female friends, rather than girl friends. Several at once. In the end I married one of my friends, 33 years or thereabouts…………..

mmd
10-01-2018, 08:58 AM
Try being a stranger who drives a hand-built chopper, in a small town for a couple of weeks work. It is amazing what people say about you.

My first stop in such places was usually to the local PD to introduce myself and tell them where I was staying.

David G
10-01-2018, 09:02 AM
All I can say is, she wasn't like that when I married her.

My experience also. They weren't like that at the beginning. But definitely 'turned out to be'.

CWSmith
10-01-2018, 09:03 AM
See my previous mentions of DARVO.

It does seem to describe his testimony, does it not?

Lew Barrett
10-01-2018, 09:33 AM
As to the rest, you guys assumed (you know what that means, right?) I was referring to Kavanugh.

Your opening post is cryptic and sufficiently poorly constructed to beg the questions given the existing context and the focus of the news of late.

rbgarr
10-01-2018, 10:30 AM
I don't ever remember being accused of something I didn't do. But I like beer. I really like beer. Maybe someone accused me but I forgot. ;)

David G
10-01-2018, 12:45 PM
My D-I-L accused me of being a good sailor. Hah!!!

She may not be knowledgeable, but at least she's sweetly polite. <G>