PDA

View Full Version : Getting stuff done or just doing stuff?

Jim Mahan
09-29-2018, 11:07 AM
How many here spend time during the day on such activities as reading a book or magazine or watching tv, hanging out on the internet, or studying boat plans, tying flies, or taking a nap? Is your day your own to choose, or do you have such obligations or principles as to not indulge in those pursuits during daylight hours?

Science will tell you that such activities, and even a regular nap in the afternoon is good for creative problem solving and good mental hygiene. A wife will tell you to get back to work.

bluedog225
09-29-2018, 11:09 AM
It’s interesting, having recently retired, how little I feel I get done. Tied to a desk all those years, I imagined great progress when I had more time.

McMike
09-29-2018, 11:22 AM
Just finished drylocking the portion of my basement that is becoming the laundry room. Did some rough framing last weekend, and tomorrow I'll finish that up and try for some plumbing and electrical, but most of the ladder will probably fall to next weekend or on the evenings during the week.

Paul Pless
09-29-2018, 11:35 AM
Let me get back to you after my nap.

CWSmith
09-29-2018, 12:02 PM
I'll take the question in a different direction.

I've been writing a paper and was almost done. Every time I tried to nail down the last question it would spin the work out of control. I kept going back to square one and I've been down the rabbit hole at least twice. I've decided on one last attempt and I'm hoping the result is worth telling. I can't tell if I'm getting something done or just doing something.

Vince Brennan
09-29-2018, 12:02 PM
Ah'm retarded. Ain't gotta do nuttin' 'cept go to the Doctor(s) and phart.

S.V. Airlie
09-29-2018, 12:18 PM
Ah'm retarded. Ain't gotta do nuttin' 'cept go to the Doctor(s) and phart.Yup, my Hospital is on autodial, I just wait for their calls. I do have 1,000 pages I've written about Cooperstown; bunch of vignettes actually. Should do some editing but, dang, I know what I wrote. At least I've gotten far enough to dust off the cover!

wizbang 13
09-29-2018, 12:24 PM
I've been glued to the Trump show for the past 600 days,sadly.
I can get back to life when it's canceled.

Rich Jones
09-29-2018, 02:50 PM
How many here spend time during the day on such activities as reading a book or magazine or watching tv, hanging out on the internet, or studying boat plans, tying flies, or taking a nap? Is your day your own to choose, or do you have such obligations or principles as to not indulge in those pursuits during daylight hours?

Science will tell you that such activities, and even a regular nap in the afternoon is good for creative problem solving and good mental hygiene. A wife will tell you to get back to work.
Since retiring, I now do all those things but at the end of many days I feel like I've somehow wasted the day. During my working life, I was running at 110% from dawn to late at night. I've yet to find the balance of the two.

Art Haberland
09-29-2018, 03:00 PM
I still have a 40+ work week to worry about. When not working though, I like to putter around with boats and the house. Been on a two week tear though, trying to get my GP ready for St. Micheals next week.

sharpiefan
09-29-2018, 04:04 PM
I'll take the question in a different direction.

I've been writing a paper and was almost done. Every time I tried to nail down the last question it would spin the work out of control. I kept going back to square one and I've been down the rabbit hole at least twice. I've decided on one last attempt and I'm hoping the result is worth telling. I can't tell if I'm getting something done or just doing something.

The reason I shift gears constantly, why Iím doing an opera, why Iíve done essays, why Iíve written poetry for years that nobody wanted, why I do short stories and novels and screenplaysÖis so I will have new ways of failing. This means becoming a student again. I believe in creative failingóto continue to write poems that fail and fail and fail until a day comes when youíve got a thousand poems behind you and youíre relaxed and you finally write a good poem.
~~~ Ray Bradbury

Good Luck!

skuthorp
09-29-2018, 04:20 PM
Hmmm, Dealing with spring grass growth in a large garden, a deal of preparation for a very dry summer, tiling a wall in the laundry with the hardest tiles I have ever come across, preparing for a joint exhibition (we have the gallery), continued work on the boat restoration and a pond yacht for a gift, preparation of several brochures for the club's wooden dinghy regatta, a lions club, another yacht club etc.
I'll be lucky if I get to read the sunday papers!

edited to say , no I won't.

Phil Y
09-29-2018, 04:59 PM
I don't know. Check with my wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

webishop14
09-29-2018, 06:16 PM
I had a dinghy build to keep me occupied until the wife and I bought a longarm quilting business in July. I'm only now coming up for air to take a few hours here and there to do what I want, not what the business needs. Even so, I'm still getting stuff done -- even beginning to reclaim the garage from the Great Reshuffle.

Paul Pless
09-29-2018, 06:42 PM
okay i'm back

what was the question?

webishop14
09-29-2018, 06:48 PM
My little sister just gave me a new tea-towel with the message: "Anyone with enough time to clean simply isn't reading enough."

McMike
09-29-2018, 06:55 PM
Just ran the 10AWG Circuit for the dryer. Yeah, it's dark out and I'm that bad a55ed. Now for a well earned Topo-Chico.

John Smith
09-29-2018, 07:11 PM
It’s interesting, having recently retired, how little I feel I get done. Tied to a desk all those years, I imagined great progress when I had more time.

It's easy to procrastinate once retired.

I find myself doing many things that 'need' doing, but not doing much that I 'want' to do.

skuthorp
09-29-2018, 07:29 PM
Since retiring, I now do all those things but at the end of many days I feel like I've somehow wasted the day. During my working life, I was running at 110% from dawn to late at night. I've yet to find the balance of the two.
I reckon I've never been busier since retiring, though I tell the taxation mob I'm 'self employed', which is sort of true.
Self employed volunteering and doing things I want to do, and a little of my old job on a freelance basis. I still get up at 6am and seemingly have little time for TV. But I do get to listen to a lot of music that I could not do whilst employed in the formal sense.
Today, finish the tiling, paint the inside of the watertight compartments of the boat I'm restoring, some paperwork related to a volunteer project and a small freelancer. Alll to the music of my choice. If the weather was better I'd be out in the garden as well.

PeterSibley
09-29-2018, 09:46 PM
Things were going along swimmingly 'til about 33 months ago when a few days of extreme headaches saw my ''adventures with brain cancer '' begin. I'm moderately well again if still on chemo for a regrowth. An unfortunate side effect of the chemo is that it makes me tired and aids procrastination.

As to doing things, I'm back working on my JIM and getting a bit done, spars nearly finished, sheets and blocks to be worked out, interior being primed .... maybe 4 hours a day?

Next, register the trailer I built and get JIM to the water...... oh yeah, I have to build a pair of 9'6'' oars and mount the rowlocks.

Shang
09-29-2018, 09:54 PM
I'm writing a novel. Sometimes a nap helps define the characters. I'd cite some of it but Scot would tromp me with all four feet.

J.Madison
09-29-2018, 09:55 PM
Work, work, work. Today I cast 6 bronze stanchions and put another beam in the boatshop. Tomorrow I'll drive an hour each way to the boat to get some last minute deck caulking and varnish done.

Same every evening and weekend forever, and I still never get enough done.

Jim Mahan
09-30-2018, 03:58 AM
Not that this is what I had in mind when I started the thread, but I took Friday off from my home landscaping project—'the bricks'—to rearrange my room after we agreed that ten years was too long to sleep on the futon. Nice bed, finally, but it was a whole morning down the rabbit hole to buy it and haul it home and another to do the exchange, then yet another morning while I salvaged the wood and hardware for some other project some day, like another porch swing... Meanwhile 'the bricks' in the front yard are still almost done after being almost done for the whole summer, as it turns out, and I was only going to take a week or two to put in a new path, because she wanted to get something planted again in the front beds after I did the other big project, the driveway, ten years ago, right after building the new porch. Fifteen hundred used bricks we got for thirty cents each, which we had in a stack in the driveway behind the boat, for at least three years.

For all the grubbing in the sandy topsoil, excavating a foot deep into the root base of the maple tree, for most of the length of the path, shovelling and wheelbarrowing a couple hundred cubic feet of fill from the daughter's house, down the block, and then all the mortaring, and handling all those bricks several times each, and stopping the cracks in my fingertips with superglue, my hands look like I found them in an archeological dig. View from the porch.

https://i.imgur.com/WPeWCE1.jpg

From the street.

https://i.imgur.com/nKfbOff.jpg

This a 'before,' from just before I moved in.

https://i.imgur.com/QLOQXQH.jpg

AndyG
09-30-2018, 07:07 AM
^ I approve of the garden work. I've done virtually nothing but 'getting stuff done' outdoors since the middle of June. Three whole months of slog. It's sometimes hard to see what you've achieved in a day, but it all adds up. I've gone from this:

http://www.poyekhali.scot/camera/before/site3.jpg

To this:

http://www.poyekhali.scot/040918/garden001.jpg

And this:

http://www.poyekhali.scot/shed/shed001.jpg

Now sports this:

http://www.poyekhali.scot/shed/shed011.jpg

... in which shed, once completed, I shall hide throughout the winter months, making stuff. :)

Andy

Paul Pless
09-30-2018, 07:11 AM
an hour each way to the boatthere's the problem

skuthorp
09-30-2018, 07:26 AM
I was talking to my young neighbours today. They are very busy in the house and garden, they have an acre on a slope with eucalypts mostly, and some not in good condition. She said, "It'll be nice when we've finished and can sit down and enjoy it"………….
I likely won't be around in 20 years to ask them if they've finished yet.

McMike
09-30-2018, 07:36 AM
Not that this is what I had in mind when I started the thread, but I took Friday off from my home landscaping project—'the bricks'—

WOW!!! That looks great! I love the little house too. I can not, for the life of me, understand why people feel the need to live in more than 500 SqFt per person. We have 1150 and there's just the two of us and two dogs, the dogs get the 150 SqFt ;) . It still takes a tone of time and money for materials to do any work on the house. But it only cost me $175 a month to heat and $120/month to cool here in the Northeast where winter and summer are fair swings in temp. I had a friend try top talk me into buying the 2500 SqFt cape next door to him but I was all like, Dude, you want me to double my monthly payments and go from a 12 minute commute to work to an hour one way commute? I told him he was effen nuts and that there was a house next door from me for sale and that he should come bring some pretentiousness to the hood.

Anyway, love the project, the outside of the house will be for my 50s as it will take me the rest of my 40s to finish the inside.

McMike
09-30-2018, 07:39 AM
^ I approve of the garden work. I've done virtually nothing but 'getting stuff done' outdoors since the middle of June. Three whole months of slog. It's sometimes hard to see what you've achieved in a day, but it all adds up. I've gone from this:

... in which shed, once completed, I shall hide throughout the winter months, making stuff. :)

Andy

You too!! WOW!. I need more time, I gotta quit my job!! :P

Jim Mahan
09-30-2018, 08:13 AM
You too!! WOW!.

Concur. Sweet.

in which shed, once completed, I shall hide throughout the winter months, making stuff. :)

I get half of a mid-century, single car garage in which to have my shop. It might be bigger than your new space, and I've got a third of your electrial outlets.

the outside of the house will be for my 50s as it will take me the rest of my 40s to finish the inside. ... I need more time I gotta quit my job!

I have a feeling that if my physical organism holds out, I won't ever be done. Oh, the 'bricks' will get done this week or next, but the house, same size as McMike's, with just us two uprights and averaging three quadrupeds, the yard, the floaty things won't ever really be done. I love our mature trees a few in the neighborhood, the sycamores across the street are as old as the house, but I wish I had just a bit more sunshine, for growing my altitude medicine.

amish rob
09-30-2018, 09:14 AM
I have no obligations, as such. I am bound to the fam, and they take all precedence, but other than them, I have no demands on my time, whatever.

I wonít earn any money for anyone else, anymore, so I mostly donít earn money for myself. Haha. I do work for people who have the temperament to abide the timescale sometimes needed to produce handmade, one-off items, and the appreciation to pay for such.

Well, thatís a lie. Dang. I forgot Iím still actively sponsored by two groups, so, technically I do make money for other people still. Iím only in it form the race fees. Which dates and frequency is at my discretion. So far this year, it remains zero. I will pin on a number for one race, but I wonít be racing. I will be smiling, and laughing, acting as a gangly billboard.

I move around a lot, exercising my body, mostly these days to armor my spine against further degradation, but also for that blissful time when Iíve reached pure and true exhaustion, when the stupid thinking part of me just shuts the heck up, and the brain part just feels.
Those moments are when I most wish I was a ďlowerĒ animal. When I can really FEEL the wind on my skin, not th8nk about how it feels. If you donít know, I canít explain.

I would have been an excellent fence lizard, for example, or a passable dog.

Meanwhile, the summer garden is over, winter garden starting, treehouse expansion closing in on done, the two new boats are getting finished, the garop has been re organized to better fit a future boat project, the porch has been de screened in advance of a reframe and re roof, I continue to mess up and redesign the pedal car (I hope to eventually ďdesignĒ a card dumb enough I can actually make the damned hint), Iím getting passably good at the uke...

Peace,
Whatís A Nap?

CWSmith
09-30-2018, 09:48 AM
~~~ Ray Bradbury

Good Luck!

Excellent quote, sharpie! I really don't mind failure, but wasting my time running in circles is very frustrating. I think that once I see my new direction clearly, I'll be ok.

AndyG
09-30-2018, 09:55 AM
I get half of a mid-century, single car garage in which to have my shop. It might be bigger than your new space, and I've got a third of your electrial outlets.

I bet it is bigger - that's 5-by-14 feet, standing room for me only at the high side. It's the only space I could appropriate; but that's ok: I sit and make model boats. As to sockets, all the advice is 'more than you think'. I thought 'eight' and therefore wired for fourteen. :)

Incidentally, I give a big thumbs up for the LED batten lighting. I'd not used them before, and that's 4200 lumens on 44W. It's bright in there.

Painting (I hate painting) begins shortly.

Andy

switters
09-30-2018, 10:05 AM
Yesterday was up early and at the hay auction by 9. Bid on and bought 92 bales. Loaded them, hauled them, stacked and tarped. A bit over 2 ton. This morning is sitting on the patio and drinking coffee while I pet the rabbit and check in on the bilge. Balance. Might go for a short sail if it stops raining

Paul Pless
09-30-2018, 10:21 AM
For what do you need 92 bales of hay?

switters
09-30-2018, 10:38 AM
The horse. His pasture is getting pretty scarce and retail grass is 12 a bale. This should last till May

Phil Y
09-30-2018, 05:24 PM
Work, work, work. Today I cast 6 bronze stanchions and put another beam in the boatshop. Tomorrow I'll drive an hour each way to the boat to get some last minute deck caulking and varnish done.

Same every evening and weekend forever, and I still never get enough done.
Im an hour each way to the boat too. It sucks. Specially when you get there and find you left some vital doodad at home.

skuthorp
09-30-2018, 07:51 PM
Tiling done and grouted, I get the rest of the day to myself! Going to splash the restorer to see if it leaks before I close up the watertight compartments. Stunner of a day here BTW.
Edited to say it floats. a couple of small leaks but we reckon she's not seen the water for 40 years. Back in the shop for more work.

downthecreek
10-01-2018, 02:38 AM
Im an hour each way to the boat too. It sucks. Specially when you get there and find you left some vital doodad at home.

I'm luckier. Three minutes by car, twelve on foot. (And the car only gets fired up if there's something heavy to carry)

Lots of brightwork getting its pre-winter coat of Deks Olje just now. And the dinghy taken to see Dr. Cakey, the shipwright, as a small operation may be needed.

AndyG
10-24-2018, 04:52 PM
http://www.poyekhali.scot/shed/shed011.jpg

Almost there!

http://www.poyekhali.scot/shed/shed018.jpg

Tomorrow? Final tools in ... and I start on Swallow! :)

(55, and this is my first shed. I should have had one years ago.)

Andy