PDA

View Full Version : Been a year carrying the Taurus Curve

Dale R. Hamilton
09-28-2018, 09:56 AM

The Taurus Curve 380 that is. I bought one the first year it came out and have been carrying it in my waistband ever since. As its name implies, the frame is curved to exactly fit in the curve of your back. Nothing I have carried is so comfortable. Weapon is perfectly smooth, nothing to snag on clothes. There is a plastic trigger guard that guards both the trigger and the laser switch very effectively. And it shoots very well. The first 100 rounds went without a hitch. Excellent defensive weapon- I recommend

23628it.

Rich Jones
09-28-2018, 10:14 AM
-sigh-

Canoeyawl
09-28-2018, 10:15 AM
Have you had occasion to shoot anyone yet?

Keith Wilson
09-28-2018, 10:19 AM
I'm sorry you live in the sort of place where you believe that's necessary. If I did, I'd move.

leikec
09-28-2018, 10:19 AM
-sigh-

The yacht club can be a vewy scawy place...

Jeff C

CWSmith
09-28-2018, 10:22 AM
How did I live these 62 years without a gun on my body at all times? And I still feel like a man!

LeeG
09-28-2018, 10:28 AM
I’ve had this for a year. Can be very sharp.

https://redhillcutlery.com/wp-content/uploads/0000/00/thm_lrg_122008122045PM.jpg

ron ll
09-28-2018, 10:33 AM
-sigh-

Of all the responses I was thinking of to this post, in the end yours is the only one. Sigh.

wizbang 13
09-28-2018, 10:34 AM
Whew, For a minute there I thought you bought a FORD!!!!

birlinn
09-28-2018, 10:34 AM
Carry that knife in the UK, and the law is not amused.

David G
09-28-2018, 10:45 AM
Don't hurt yourself, or an innocent bystander/family member.

You DO realize that - statistically - that's the most likely outcome of your choice to pack a deadly weapon... right?

Canoeyawl
09-28-2018, 10:55 AM
I have been carrying this for several years now.
No I am more secure than ever.

It has never failed me, light as a feather, I hardly notice it in my pocket.

https://www.hotcouponworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/31SsA9KqlEL.jpg

Tom Wilkinson
09-28-2018, 11:03 AM
How did I live these 62 years without a gun on my body at all times? And I still feel like a man!
^ this

I'm sorry you live in the sort of place where you believe that's necessary. If I did, I'd move.
^ and this

-sigh-
^ but mostly this

willmarsh3
09-28-2018, 11:05 AM
I was thinking this thread title referred to some variant of french curves that I had not heard of before. Alas, no such luck.

SKIP KILPATRICK
09-28-2018, 11:07 AM
Now the mystery of the bulge in your pants is solved.

ron ll
09-28-2018, 11:12 AM

You DO realize that - statistically - that's the most likely outcome of your choice to pack a deadly weapon... right?

And compounded by the fact that he brags about it in such a public place.

LeeG
09-28-2018, 11:18 AM
Carry that knife in the UK, and the law is not amused.

The blade is 1 7/8” long, is that illegal?

Jimmy W
09-28-2018, 11:41 AM
Last Saturday, I again attended the Sam Chatmon Festival in Hollandale, Mississippi. As of 2013, the population of Hollandale was 87% black. I still felt no need to carry a firearm and again no one there had a use for one. I'll bet that Dale wouldn't show up without one.

Bill Hubbard
09-28-2018, 12:02 PM
Unfortunately, even at 1 7/8" long, there are many US states where you might have an issue as it doesn't fold. Which is quite ridiculous, as there are many work related times when that would be handier than my longer bladed folding knives.

Iceboy
09-28-2018, 01:20 PM
Looks like a nice piece Dale. I often wonder about the 380 as a defensive round but have seen some improvement recently with more states allowing CC. Still sticking with my ultra carry though. 1911 through and through here.
Jim...

The Taurus Curve 380 that is. I bought one the first year it came out and have been carrying it in my waistband ever since. As its name implies, the frame is curved to exactly fit in the curve of your back. Nothing I have carried is so comfortable. Weapon is perfectly smooth, nothing to snag on clothes. There is a plastic trigger guard that guards both the trigger and the laser switch very effectively. And it shoots very well. The first 100 rounds went without a hitch. Excellent defensive weapon- I recommend

23628it.

LeeG
09-28-2018, 01:28 PM
Unfortunately, even at 1 7/8" long, there are many US states where you might have an issue as it doesn't fold. Which is quite ridiculous, as there are many work related times when that would be handier than my longer bladed folding knives.

Didn’t know that. I was stopped at the Smithsoneon Museum at the entry and it was short enough to be ok. Guess I better find a tiny folder.

willmarsh3
09-28-2018, 01:34 PM
I was always interested in guns but....The "tennis shoe school of design" impacted the auto industry, then boats, and now guns. I suppose that you could argue that in this instance the design makes for easier carrying, but that's all.

Easier to carry so maybe some folks carry it often? Easier to carry for places like a certain few cities where it might be useful 0.5% of the time? Easier to carry in the rest of the country where it might be useful 0.0001% of the time? Useless for every other purpose and ugly to boot.

If you have a million bucks or so, and value your free time, and are thoughtful, you can't risk carrying a gun - you have too much to lose. If you're poor, or very rich, and you don't care, then maybe you can get away with it.

Then there's forgetting you are carrying it when driving across the border into Canada. Or having to rent a hotel room to store it while you drive to Canada. Or leaving it in the rental car for the next renter to find it. Or having it get stolen from your car. I did not make any of these up.

Old Dryfoot
09-28-2018, 01:36 PM
Looks like a nice piece Dale. I often wonder about the 380 as a defensive round but have seen some improvement recently with more states allowing CC. Still sticking with my ultra carry though. 1911 through and through here.
Jim...

Yeah, if the head doesn't go pop like a melon it's just not worth it.

downthecreek
09-28-2018, 02:21 PM
Dale, I ask this in all sincerity. I can understand something of the currents of history and experience that have led to the gun culture of the USA, although I must admit that it appears to me to gone wildly out of control. I can also see why people enjoy guns for their own sake as objects with aesthetic value (decoration; design; historic interest.....) or as tools for sport. I can even sympathise a little with hunting for the pot, although killing for its own sake or to boost the ego - these are beyond my comprehension.

So I would love to know why you wish, or feel the need, to carry a gun at all times. Can you post something about this, or is it the kind of question that would, answered publicly, bring raining down on you more criticism and hassle than you care to risk?

Tom Wilkinson
09-28-2018, 02:22 PM
Then there's forgetting you are carrying it when driving across the border into Canada. Or having to rent a hotel room to store it while you drive to Canada. Or leaving it in the rental car for the next renter to find it. Or having it get stolen from your car. I did not make any of these up.
Or forgetting it's in your backpack and losing your job because you tried to carry into an airport. Seen that at least twice. Surely seems worth it. They probably have never seen a situation they would need it (and likely never will) and lost their jobs over it.

Paul Pless
09-28-2018, 02:49 PM
1911 through and through here.
Jim...amen brother

Keith Wilson
09-28-2018, 03:09 PM
. . . and will exit without fully discharging the energy into the mass.Right. So the 9mm will leave a small hole pouring blood on both sides, rather than a small hole and an enormous dripping crater?

John of Phoenix
09-28-2018, 03:12 PM
Aren't these internet cowboys cool?

goodbasil
09-28-2018, 03:31 PM
The curve looks like a cigarette lighter.

amish rob
09-28-2018, 03:35 PM
I have seen with my own eyes the damage a .44 and a .40 can do to a human head. Recently.

Not something I would wish anyone being on either end of.

Peace,
Robert

John of Phoenix
09-28-2018, 03:42 PM
How's that 1000 yd shot yer working on cowboy? You got it down yet? You and yer boys ready to overthrow the gumbint?

You're up against 30mm HE at 600 rounds/minute. " 'Pink mist' we called it."

David G
09-28-2018, 03:51 PM
I have seen with my own eyes the damage a .44 and a .40 can do to a human head. Recently.

Not something I would wish anyone being on either end of.

Peace,
Robert

I like guns. They're fun. Challenging to get good with. Kind like golf - with the added benefit of filling the freezer sometimes. Never been much of a handgun guy, except for a hand-pump pellet gun as a youngster.

But I've seen a fella's foot after he shot himself with his deer rifle (30.06 iirc). I got to see it up close, because I was the only one in deer camp not too hung over to be capable of removing his boot, applying a bandage, and slapping on & monitoring a tourniquet. That thing did NOT want to stop bleeding. He passed out from the pain. Then woke up in the back of the pickup with a couple of us watching over him. He than barfed and passed out again. Woke up and passed out from the pain once more before we hit the hospital.

And I saw what happened when a girlfriend's uncle dropped his shotgun butt-first - and instead of ducking away, he reached to save it. Hand gone, forearm mangled.

That was plenty enough for me.

And I still like guns, and when the kids mention taking up shooting as a hobby, I say I'll join them at the range.

But the 'personal protection' handguns just seem like a bad bet, from an odds standpoint.

ahp
09-28-2018, 04:22 PM
If a bad guy knows you are carrying, you will be the first target. You probably won't see it coming.

Chris Smith porter maine
09-28-2018, 05:54 PM
With the curve does it shoot around corners. :)

Jim Bow
09-28-2018, 06:06 PM
I have a moderate scoliosis.

Chris Smith porter maine
09-28-2018, 06:07 PM
Sorry, but I'm an engineer and I don't do things like that. I look at things more than "holes in things" level

Cool how does a 380 compare to a 9mm, a 357 sig, other similar auto caliber, is 9 rounds out of 380 more efficient or easier to carry, than say something like a snub 38 that shoots us peas.

Rich Jones
09-28-2018, 08:42 PM
So Dale posts a picture of his silly little gun and then seats back to enjoy watching the reactions. Not a single post from him since he started this stupid thread. -sigh-

PhaseLockedLoop
09-28-2018, 08:52 PM

Donít you mind that thatís just plain false? In many circumstances youíre right, but itís stupid to maintain it as a general truth.

Hallam
09-28-2018, 08:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giDcFQoCH4E

George Jung
09-28-2018, 09:15 PM
Don’t you mind that that’s just plain false? In many circumstances you’re right, but it’s stupid to maintain it as a general truth.

those are the stats I’m familiar with. What do you have to rebut?

LeeG
09-28-2018, 09:21 PM
I have a moderate scoliosis.

I fart a bit

Nicholas Scheuer
09-28-2018, 09:31 PM
Why not tuck TWO in your pants, one for each hand?

David G
09-28-2018, 09:37 PM
Donít you mind that thatís just plain false? In many circumstances youíre right, but itís stupid to maintain it as a general truth.

those are the stats Iím familiar with. What do you have to rebut?

PLL - I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't call me a liar until you've carefully considered what I have said, and can offer evidence to rebut my statements.

In this case, where you failed was reading into my comment something that just wasn't there. You seem to think I was saying the danger is precisely the same for every individual regardless of other variables. I didn't say that. I said 'statistically'... which means lumping everyone together and looking at the percentages.

I'll accept your apology this time, but if it happens again... I might have to show you what a REAL gun looks like up clase, and what it feels like to be hit with it by someone who knows how to shoot. As I said... I REALLY don't like being called a liar <G> --

http://thefederalist.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/rubberbands.jpg

Keith Wilson
09-28-2018, 09:39 PM
You know, if you were just a good 'ol boy and mentioned that you shot some holes through a two by four, or maybe a couple of two by fours, no one would give it a second thought or criticize you. But when you start talking ballistic jell and exit wounds people guess at what fantasies might be going through your mind, immediately peg you for a jackass, and want nothing to do with you. That's just the way it is - learn discretion.But in this case, 'discretion' is damn close to lying. Guns are tools to put messy unpleasant red drippy holes in living bodies, or to threaten to do so. Now this can be a good or bad thing; putting a red drippy hole in a deer so you can eat dinner, fine with me. Doing the same to a Nazi soldier - unfortunate for the poor bugger, but it beats the alternatives. Putting messy red holes in your wife or a random stranger, not so much. Guns are not much good for anything else at all . You want to put a hole in a 2X4, a sane man gets a drill. The other things done with guns are either playing or practicing, or both.

Decourcy
09-28-2018, 09:45 PM
Not my taste in handguns.
I'd prefer my s&w model 66 on my hip.

but I'd only carry it in the bush when in cougar country. People don't scare me, but big cats do.

but of course, I live in Canada, so even bush use is out.

Old Dryfoot
09-28-2018, 09:47 PM
Just like that, another statistic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUonA66btgI

skuthorp
09-28-2018, 09:51 PM
So Dale posts a picture of his silly little gun and then seats back to enjoy watching the reactions. Not a single post from him since he started this stupid thread. -sigh-

Precisely. Mr Pavlov would be pleased.

BrianW
09-28-2018, 10:10 PM

23628it.

Glad it's working for you.

What's the purpose of the short lanyard? Are you using just the spring clip to secure it?

LeeG
09-28-2018, 10:16 PM
Not my taste in handguns.
I'd prefer my s&w model 66 on my hip.

but I'd only carry it in the bush when in cougar country. People don't scare me, but big cats do.

but of course, I live in Canada, so even bush use is out.

type 1 phaser for me.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/images/3/3b/Type_1_phaser_2260s.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20131220151154&path-prefix=en

David G
09-28-2018, 10:25 PM
That's a reasonable, safe, reliable, practical firearm. Also a good looking and interesting piece of machinery. Here I can hike way off trail in the national forest, find a deserted, safe gully and legally shoot and enjoy such a firearm. It's more fun than going to a range. Some would forbid the particular gun and such usage. I have to disagree with them.

My kids have found a couple of such safe spots, and camp nearby sometimes for plinking purposes. Next they are considering joining a range and shooting regularly. If they do that, I'll likely join them.

Decourcy
09-28-2018, 10:33 PM
That's a reasonable, safe, reliable, practical firearm. Also a good looking and interesting piece of machinery. Here I can hike way off trail in the national forest, find a deserted, safe gully and legally shoot and enjoy such a firearm. It's more fun than going to a range. Some would forbid the particular gun and such usage. I have to disagree with them.

I very much wish that I could do the same. Going to the same range in Nanaimo every time becomes a bit boring.

Decourcy
09-28-2018, 11:20 PM
I've been going to an indoor range this year. There are 27 lanes, 75 feet long. The cheapest membership is $100 initiation and $50 per month. I'm not interested in that sort of usage, so I pay by the hour: $20 per hour. The last two times that I've gone, a half hour was sufficient and they just charge me $10 for that, which is not bad. It's modern, clean, well ventilated and the range staff are attentive. I go weekday mornings and many lanes are open, but typically I'm the only guy with a revolver and a lever action rifle. It seems everyone else is banging away with semi autos with their targets at 20 feet or less. I sometimes set my targets out at 75 feet, the expensive target carriers add an element of risk at the longer distance, you have to pay for damage. It's not as much fun as outdoors in the woods.

The Nanaimo range, thankfully, is $70 yearly, excellent, and outdoors. I must admit that I bang away with semi's too, but prefer things like my fn1922, fn115 (good luck finding any info on that one), and savage 1915, all in .380.
I like old guns for the same reasons I like old boats and old engines.

I do try to shoot at 10-12 meters ;)

BrianW
09-29-2018, 01:08 AM
I go weekday mornings and many lanes are open, but typically I'm the only guy with a revolver and a lever action rifle. It seems everyone else is banging away with semi autos with their targets at 20 feet or less.

At thay distance, they may not be serious target shooters, but I can understand the pistol vs revolvers choice. A pistol has one chamber integral with the barrel. A revolver has multiple chambers that don’t always line up with the barrel identically. So the pistol can be more accurate than a revolver.

When we lived in Kodiak I was a member of the local sportsman association, which included indoor, and outdoor ranges. I volunteered to open the indoor range on Friday evenings. I got a lot of free shooting time, and first shot at any brass left by other shooters. I reloaded a lot of 45ACP.

downthecreek
09-29-2018, 02:51 AM
If a bad guy knows you are carrying, you will be the first target. You probably won't see it coming.

I have a good friend who is retired from the police. Long, interesting career in royal, political and diplomatic protection and other kinds of special assignments, plus detective work. He was involved in the investigation some notorious murders. He was offered training to join the armed police teams but always declined. He had two friends in the service, both armed, shot and killed and he knew that to be armed himself would be the surest way to increase his own risk of the same fate.

PeterSibley
09-29-2018, 02:58 AM
Don’t you mind that that’s just plain false? In many circumstances you’re right, but it’s stupid to maintain it as a general truth.

Um, not according to the stats https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2759797/

epoxyboy
09-29-2018, 04:58 AM

23628it.
There must be bandits in Bentley country? That is pretty hard to fathom, assuming this is an upmarket hood. I feel sorry for you guys, as far as I'm concerned carrying a cell is a PITA. Thinking you have to carry that lump as well, and a billfold, and keys, jeez, you'd need suspenders to keep all that junk from making your pants fall down.

Pete

David W Pratt
09-29-2018, 05:05 AM
One may not like guns, but please do not trot out flawed, erroneous, and/or mis interpreted statistics to "support" your opinion.
If carrying a gun makes it likely that you will inadvertently shoot someone, how can CC permittees have a lower rate of criminal offenses than the general population.
The Philadelphia study is methodologically flawed. Many of those carrying guns were undoubtedly so doing because they were engaged in criminal activity which is well known to raise your risk of being shot.

SKIP KILPATRICK
09-29-2018, 05:49 AM
Glad it's working for you.

What's the purpose of the short lanyard? Are you using just the spring clip to secure it?

So you don't drop it in the shower. Think soap on a rope. You need to be ready,

StevenBauer
09-29-2018, 06:11 AM

Doesn't look very manly. Is that a chick gun?

Paul Pless
09-29-2018, 06:50 AM
no, this is a chick gun. . .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BrianW/b507a980.jpg

Andrew Craig-Bennett
09-29-2018, 08:49 AM

23628it.

I have always enjoyed Daleís posts here, not least because of his unfailing courtesy.

Dale likes to own and carry a gun; as a U.S. citizen and citizen of a State permitting concealed carry that is his right. That looks like a very sensible choice of gun for the purpose, designed and made by people who know what they are doing.

I often carry an Opinel clasp knife in my pocket (older Opinel fans may like to know that they have now discovered stainless steel and itís OK)

I like to own a big boat; as. British citizen that is my right and I can do so without any licence and without any safety gear. My boat is definitely capable of killing innocent people if mishandled.

So, letís enjoy this thread in the spirit that Dale intended. Please?

Andrew Craig-Bennett
09-29-2018, 08:54 AM
I've been going to an indoor range this year. There are 27 lanes, 75 feet long. The cheapest membership is $100 initiation and $50 per month. I'm not interested in that sort of usage, so I pay by the hour: $20 per hour. The last two times that I've gone, a half hour was sufficient and they just charge me $10 for that, which is not bad. It's modern, clean, well ventilated and the range staff are attentive. I go weekday mornings and many lanes are open, but typically I'm the only guy with a revolver and a lever action rifle. It seems everyone else is banging away with semi autos with their targets at 20 feet or less. I sometimes set my targets out at 75 feet, the expensive target carriers add an element of risk at the longer distance, you have to pay for damage. It's not as much fun as outdoors in the woods.

I used to do just the same, at lunch times, working in the City of London in the 1990’s. Oddly, the prices were the same, in £..and I was the only man with a revolver. The range was in a railway arch in Southwark.

i changed my mind after the Dunblane massacre, as I have said elsewhere.

Dale R. Hamilton
09-30-2018, 01:45 PM

Well you have to understand I don't check this thing every day, so I'm usually behind in answering dumb ass comments like yours.

And no I have not killed anybody yet and don't expect to do so. Its an insurance policy. There is enough crime and violence to cause me to carry most of the time.

McMike
09-30-2018, 02:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giDcFQoCH4E

That's how Paul caries his 1911, round in the barrel cocked and . . . locked? ;)

Canoeyawl
09-30-2018, 02:51 PM
Is he wearing a badge?

A quick search of police accidental shootings links to three pages in "police magazine"
And these guys are "trained professionals"

https://www.policemag.com/list/tag/accidental-shootings.aspx

Canoeyawl
09-30-2018, 02:54 PM
A rabbit hole that one... "Accidental police shooting"

It is ugly, there are 10 pages covering just the last month or two. The odds are absurdly skewed against anything going well.

(I have gotten rid of many guns in the last couple of years. Some I just sawed up into pieces with my metal cutting bandsaw, and some of higher monetary value I gave away to responsible cop with a collection. But they keep coming! Several times a year I am offered a gun in trade for some work or I am just gifted them. I find myself accepting them only to keep them out of circulation. What is the deal? It is insane)

Jimmy W
09-30-2018, 03:15 PM
That video in post 50 is strange. Who would have a loaded gun on display and hand it to a customer? The cop racked the slide, so should have known that he loaded a round into the chamber. It was lucky that no one else was hit.

Canoeyawl
09-30-2018, 03:21 PM
I think you can tell in about 5 seconds of watching someone handle a gun whether you need to stop them or get the hell away from there.
Those men in post 50 were far too cavalier. When the salesman handed the gun over rather than setting it on the counter was the first clue.

ron ll
09-30-2018, 03:25 PM
There is enough crime and violence to cause me to carry most of the time.

I see. So your gun helps decrease violence.

George Jung
09-30-2018, 06:13 PM
I see. So your gun helps decrease violence.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=needs+more+cowbells&view=detail&mid=519F0DB1A09AD383F768519F0DB1A09AD383F768&FORM=VIRE
Only one one thing to do:

PhaseLockedLoop
09-30-2018, 06:16 PM
PLL - I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't call me a liar until you've carefully considered what I have said, and can offer evidence to rebut my statements.

In this case, where you failed was reading into my comment something that just wasn't there. You seem to think I was saying the danger is precisely the same for every individual regardless of other variables. I didn't say that. I said 'statistically'... which means lumping everyone together and looking at the percentages.

I'll accept your apology this time, but if it happens again... I might have to show you what a REAL gun looks like up clase, and what it feels like to be hit with it by someone who knows how to shoot. As I said... I REALLY don't like being called a liar <G> --

http://thefederalist.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/rubberbands.jpg

You wrote that “the most likely outcome of (Dale’s) choice to pack a handgun” is that he’d hurt himself or bystanders/family members.

In fact, the most likely outcome —by far—is that he won’t hurt himself or others. Simple enough?

David G
09-30-2018, 06:54 PM
You wrote that “the most likely outcome of (Dale’s) choice to pack a handgun” is that he’d hurt himself or bystanders/family members.

In fact, the most likely outcome —by far—is that he won’t hurt himself or others. Simple enough?

Simple enough? Oh, yes... way TOO simple. I directed you precisely to your error, and yet you chose to double-down on poor reading comprehension. WAY too simple. Here's the post, in its entirety, that you responded to --

"Don't hurt yourself, or an innocent bystander/family member.

You DO realize that - statistically - that's the most likely outcome of your choice to pack a deadly weapon... right?"

As I said - that qualifier - 'statistically' - that you left out... was NOT a throwaway adjective. It is key to the meaning of my comment.

I hope you will grasp this concept the second time you're corrected. If not... there's no hope for you. In that case - be ready. Be on the alert. That shot could come from any direction... at any time.

BrianW
09-30-2018, 11:44 PM
no, this is a chick gun. . .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BrianW/b507a980.jpg

Every now and then I think of putting together a pink AR-15, but it’s been done too often. The pink 10/22 rifle is enough. :)

rayman
10-01-2018, 03:11 AM
There is a saying in this country, Australia, if a cop pulls a gun on you either stand still or if you choose to run then run in a straight line, if you zig-zag then he will get you.
several years ago now a nutter went into a police station in Perth, West Australia, wipped the six shooter from the desk seargents holster and ran out the door to stand with his back to the brickwall opposite then fired a shot at the station. When they stopped the uneven fire fight, they dug one slug out of the crim and 27 out of the brick wall.
A similar thing happened in Sydney when a Dickless Tracey drew her gun on a bikie in a shopping mall, all she got was two little old ladies having a cuppa tea some distance away. Trained professionals they are not.

WX
10-01-2018, 04:30 AM
Whew, For a minute there I thought you bought a FORD!!!!

Don't you mean a Jeep...the add irritate the hell out of me.
I want a line cutter that will do up to 12mm or 15mm line.

Katherine
10-01-2018, 08:14 AM
Don't you mean a Jeep...the add irritate the hell out of me.
I want a line cutter that will do up to 12mm or 15mm line.
Hey, layoff of Jeep. Those things allow Paul and I to eat regular meals, lol.

Rum_Pirate
10-01-2018, 08:47 AM
There is a saying in this country, Australia, if a cop pulls a gun on you either stand still or if you choose to run then run in a straight line, if you zig-zag then he will get you.
several years ago now a nutter went into a police station in Perth, West Australia, wipped the six shooter from the desk seargents holster and ran out the door to stand with his back to the brickwall opposite then fired a shot at the station. When they stopped the uneven fire fight, they dug one slug out of the crim and 27 out of the brick wall.
A similar thing happened in Sydney when a Dickless Tracey drew her gun on a bikie in a shopping mall, all she got was two little old ladies having a cuppa tea some distance away. Trained professionals they are not.

Another case of underestimating the ammo requirementsAs reported earlier this week, some dirtbag who got pulled over in a routine traffic stop in Florida ended up “executing” the deputy who stopped him.
The deputy was shot eight times, including once behind his right ear at close range.
Another deputy was wounded and a police dog killed.
A statewide manhunt ensued.

The low-life piece of human garbage was found hiding in a wooded area with his gun. SWAT team officers fired and hit said low-life 68 times.
Now here’s the kicker: Asked why they shot the guy 68 times,

Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd told the Orlando Sentinel … get this.

“That’s all the bullets we had.”
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ammo-dump/

Phil Y
10-02-2018, 06:30 AM
One may not like guns, but please do not trot out flawed, erroneous, and/or mis interpreted statistics to "support" your opinion.
If carrying a gun makes it likely that you will inadvertently shoot someone, how can CC permittees have a lower rate of criminal offenses than the general population.
The Philadelphia study is methodologically flawed. Many of those carrying guns were undoubtedly so doing because they were engaged in criminal activity which is well known to raise your risk of being shot.
Wow. Rarely see so much stupid in one post.

Phil Y
10-02-2018, 06:33 AM
I have always enjoyed Daleís posts here, not least because of his unfailing courtesy.

Dale likes to own and carry a gun; as a U.S. citizen and citizen of a State permitting concealed carry that is his right. That looks like a very sensible choice of gun for the purpose, designed and made by people who know what they are doing.

I often carry an Opinel clasp knife in my pocket (older Opinel fans may like to know that they have now discovered stainless steel and itís OK)

I like to own a big boat; as. British citizen that is my right and I can do so without any licence and without any safety gear. My boat is definitely capable of killing innocent people if mishandled.

So, letís enjoy this thread in the spirit that Dale intended. Please?
Owning a boat is nothing like carrying a gun.

Iceboy
10-02-2018, 06:36 AM
I think I'll pick up one of these Browning 1911-380s. It ought to fill in a few blanks.

https://www.browning.com/products/firearms/pistols/1911-380.html

Paul Pless
10-02-2018, 06:46 AM
Have you looked at the Kinber Micro Nine?

cs
10-02-2018, 07:16 AM
Just a couple of comments here, just on the guns, nothing else.

1. I've looked at the Curve and didn't really like the feel of it in my hand. Ended up with a Taurus TCP .380, much more conventional feel and familiar.

2. Kimber is overpriced and while I haven't looked at the Micro Nine I have looked at their Ultra Carry and ended up with a Sprngfield XDS 3.3 45. Better price, takes up less landscape and shoots like a dream.

My 2 cents.

Chad

Paul Pless
10-02-2018, 07:29 AM
Kimber overpriced? I think theyíre the bargain gun in the high end 1911 segment. All the features and finish and quality and performance of an Ed Brown or Wilson Combat at a fourth the price.

cs
10-02-2018, 07:35 AM
Kimber Ultra Carry 45 = $830

Springfield XDS 3.3 45 = $530

Come down and we will go to the range and I will let you run a few rounds through the XDS

Chad

Hwyl
10-02-2018, 07:55 AM
Nice troll.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?205099-A-gun-thread-proposal

TomF
10-02-2018, 08:20 AM
I drove a Taurus for a little while, but it felt kinda sloppy. Our little Ranger runs on the same V6 engine though, and it's pretty bulletproof.

cs
10-02-2018, 08:31 AM
Had a Taurus as well and it did alright till the transmission gave up the ghost.

I made a ton of money on that car. Paid about $2400 for it. Made about $500 a month in expenses just driving it for work for a couple of years. Car was "totaled" in a rear end accident and the insurance paid me somewhere in the neighborhood of $1500 and so I bought it back from them for $85 and still drove it for a year. Finally when it completely died I sold it for $250. Never had any engine problems, just a junk transmission.

Chad

Flying Orca
10-02-2018, 08:41 AM

Accidents aren't usually criminal offenses.

amish rob
10-02-2018, 08:51 AM
Okay, three things:

I thought this was going to be about one of those guns that shoot around the corner. a gun shaped like a hip flask is pretty unique though, and for that aspect I appreciate the thread. Interesting to my designerís mind.

Dale, you really, REALLY, need some kind of cool James Bond type holster/compartment thing on the Bentley. :) Iím half joking, and half serious. I mean, if youíre going to carry, why not have a PPK in a secret compartment? It IS a Bentley, right? If so, it practically NEEDS a secret something.

And, I was serious. I really hope you never have to shoot anyone. Iím glad you have your weapon, if thatís what you want, but I really hope you never have to use it, Brother.
That said, stay sharp, and donít carry any more when your reflexes go. If you canít drive, you canít carry! Hehe.

Peace,
Robert

Iceboy
10-02-2018, 09:46 AM
I have. Still look them over from time to time. Might get one for plinking as 9mm is fairly cheap these days.

Have you looked at the Kinber Micro Nine?

Iceboy
10-02-2018, 09:54 AM
Not much wrong with Springfield as an opener. I have shot both. The Springfield felt a lot like a standard issue military 45. A bit loose for me.
Get back to me after 5000 rounds or so. I'm pushing 8000 now with the ultra carry II without any malfunctions except one fail to feed with a reload that wasn't seated properly. I think I may be replacing springs soon though as I am over the recommended maintenance interval.
Kimber Ultra Carry 45 = $830

Springfield XDS 3.3 45 = $530

Come down and we will go to the range and I will let you run a few rounds through the XDS

Chad

Dale R. Hamilton
10-02-2018, 09:54 AM
Okay, three things:

I thought this was going to be about one of those guns that shoot around the corner. a gun shaped like a hip flask is pretty unique though, and for that aspect I appreciate the thread. Interesting to my designer’s mind.

Dale, you really, REALLY, need some kind of cool James Bond type holster/compartment thing on the Bentley. :) I’m half joking, and half serious. I mean, if you’re going to carry, why not have a PPK in a secret compartment? It IS a Bentley, right? If so, it practically NEEDS a secret something.

And, I was serious. I really hope you never have to shoot anyone. I’m glad you have your weapon, if that’s what you want, but I really hope you never have to use it, Brother.
That said, stay sharp, and don’t carry any more when your reflexes go. If you can’t drive, you can’t carry! Hehe.

Peace,
Robert

Rob, I do have a PPK and I carried it through all my overseas deployments- albeit without the stingray grips. Wonderful well proven weapon. Its just not as comfortable and concealable as the Taurus curve.

amish rob
10-02-2018, 09:57 AM

Rob, I do have a PPK and I carried it through all my overseas deployments- albeit without the stingray grips. Wonderful well proven weapon. Its just not as comfortable and concealable as the Taurus curve.

Haha! I am an excellent guesser, as my college degrees will attest.

You know you need a secret compartment now, right? Right? I will expect a secret compartment follow up thread. :)

Peace,
Robert

David W Pratt
10-02-2018, 11:33 AM
What do you think is stupid, Phil?

Phil Y
10-02-2018, 04:21 PM
What do you think is stupid, Phil? Your understanding of how numbers work. Lack of understanding.

David W Pratt
10-02-2018, 06:18 PM
Respectfully, I think I understand statistics adequately. At least well enough to have used them professionally, YMMV

Bobby of Tulsa
10-02-2018, 06:51 PM
This is what I carry now days.https://www.doability.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/23560883b9f334b89548ebd711d72f9a/b/a/bastones-luis-62__99344_1_1.jpg

McMike
10-02-2018, 07:17 PM
Hey, layoff of Jeep. Those things allow Paul and I to eat regular meals, lol.

I enjoy my Jeep Immensely. The reason Jeeps, wranglers that is, are considered so flawed is the fact that they are one of the most modified productions cars out there. My Jeep is not even a year old and I have already added a switch pod, a winch, a one inch puck lift, different shocks, aftermarket transmission cross-member, aftermarket rear track bar and track bar relocation bracket, aftermarket skids and sliders, a hood lock, grab bars on the pillar, removed the back seat, and, of course, two fire extinguishers, it's a Jeep after all. I plan on 2.5" lift springs, all new control arms, HD steering and front track bar, double barrel breaks, 34" mud tires and steelies.

I want to get a super charger, but thats a few years away. I also actually wheel my Jeep on blue to black rated trails, bent a shock and scratched up my stock rims the last time out, cost me $100 for a new shock. I'm doing a night run in a month.

Paul Pless
10-02-2018, 07:32 PM
supercharged hemi powered wrangler. . .

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/1724d9c99049fa30ae211bd6cc4a9c21fcbf7291/c=0-494-2999-2188/local/-/media/2016/03/10/USATODAY/USATODAY/635932474107318314-trail.jpg?width=3200&height=1680&fit=crop

McMike
10-02-2018, 07:35 PM
Sadly, I don't have $30,000 for a hemi swap. THat Jeep is every bit of a $130-150,000 Jeep. It's hot AF.

Paul Pless
10-02-2018, 07:56 PM
that one was built by katherine's coworkers
has a 707 hp dodge demon supercharged hemi in it

McMike
10-02-2018, 08:00 PM
that one was built by katherine's coworkers
has a 707 hp dodge demon supercharged hemi in it

Man, I'd love ta hang with those guys. I mean, you cool n all, but . . . jeeps.

David G
10-02-2018, 10:33 PM
Your understanding of how numbers work. Lack of understanding.

Respectfully, I think I understand statistics adequately. At least well enough to have used them professionally, YMMV

Given your contributions to this thread, I think someone else must be setting things up for your professional statistical work... and maybe doing the interpreting as well. You have stacked fallacy upon fallacy.

amish rob
10-02-2018, 10:39 PM
Man, I'd love ta hang with those guys. I mean, you cool n all, but . . . jeeps.
When you are headed out here, let me know. I will hook you up with some real 4 wheelers, which is not a Jeep slight.

My Uncle is part of a club out here, in the land of the marlin crawler. :)

Peace,
Robert

David G
10-02-2018, 11:03 PM
Mr. Pratt - perhaps this will spark something --

https://rwer.wordpress.com/2018/10/03/regression-analysis-a-constructive-critique/

McMike
10-03-2018, 05:11 AM
When you are headed out here, let me know. I will hook you up with some real 4 wheelers, which is not a Jeep slight.

My Uncle is part of a club out here, in the land of the marlin crawler. :)

Peace,
Robert

Some day Robert, some day.

PhaseLockedLoop
10-03-2018, 12:05 PM
Simple enough? Oh, yes... way TOO simple. I directed you precisely to your error, and yet you chose to double-down on poor reading comprehension. WAY too simple. Here's the post, in its entirety, that you responded to --

"Don't hurt yourself, or an innocent bystander/family member.

You DO realize that - statistically - that's the most likely outcome of your choice to pack a deadly weapon... right?"

As I said - that qualifier - 'statistically' - that you left out... was NOT a throwaway adjective. It is key to the meaning of my comment.

I hope you will grasp this concept the second time you're corrected. If not... there's no hope for you. In that case - be ready. Be on the alert. That shot could come from any direction... at any time.

Davidó

You know, when you trotted out your threats and displayed your dinky little piece, I saw red. ďHah!Ē I said to myself. ďIíll build me a great big one, the Bigliest one in the WORLD, that Iíd load with BICYCLE TIRES and cock with a COME-ALONG! How Ďbout that?Ē

But then I thought, nah. Somebody could get hurt.

Anyway, Iím not making the mistake you ascribe to me. I know, for example, that the the fact that, statistically, the earth is warming, does not mean that tomorrow will be hotter here in Traverse City than the same day last year. I also know that whatís statistically , or even generally, true isnít true in each case.

In this case I tried to point to the flaw in your contention by writing that the most likely outcome of X packing a gun is that he wonít shoot anybody. Youíre so fixated on what you imagine to be my error in leaving out ďstatisticallyĒ that you donít attend to what I put in: I identified ďnot shooting anybodyĒ as a possible ďoutcomeĒ of ďpacking a gun.Ē This is the ďkeyĒ to my argument.

ďStatisticallyĒ, youíve deigned to explain to me, means ďlumping everyone together and figuring out the percentages.Ē That sounds more like arithmetic to me, but itís serviceable for the present. If youíre trying to study what happens with people who pack guns, you canít just exclude every gun-packer who doesnít shoot anyone, because if you do, they wonít be represented in your percentages. If, on another hand, you want to examine shootings, as is usually the case, you can properly ignore cases in which shootings donít occur.

Now, itís said that, statistically, if you shoot someone with your packed gun youíre most likely to shoot an innocent. For that matter, I believe itís often held that if you shoot someone with a gun on the end table at home, or in your glove compartment , youíre most likelyóstatisticallyóto shoot an innocent. This is very plausible and could well be true.

My objection to your statement is that merely packing a gun does not equate to shooting somebody, nor, statistically, make you more likely to shoot an innocent than not to.

Of course you canít shoot anybody, innocent or otherwise, if you donít have a gun. Statistics are unnecessary to establish this.

Jay Greer
10-03-2018, 12:28 PM
Bird shot will give you a greater spread and even less popularity!
Jay

Canoeyawl
10-03-2018, 12:33 PM
Speaking of large spring powered catapults, it has been done.
Using an I-beam, a Peterbilt front spring, some wire rope and yes, a "come-along"

It is an entertaining read

https://www.amazon.com/Catapult-Harry-Build-Siege-Weapon/dp/0156005565/ref=sr_1_37?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1538587723&sr=1-37&keywords=catapult

Flying Orca
10-03-2018, 12:34 PM
In this case I tried to point to the flaw in your contention by writing that the most likely outcome of X packing a gun is that he won’t shoot anybody.

I had thought of pointing this out, but refrained. I do think it's worth pointing out that the statistics with which I am familiar are a little more nuanced, and the wording is important: having a gun in the house increases, not decreases, the chance that someone in the house will be injured or killed by a gun.

Carry on.

amish rob
10-03-2018, 12:34 PM
Speaking of large spring powered catapults, it has been done.
Using an I-beam, a Peterbilt front spring, some wire rope and yes, a "come-along"

It is an entertaining read

https://www.amazon.com/Catapult-Harry-Build-Siege-Weapon/dp/0156005565/ref=sr_1_37?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1538587723&sr=1-37&keywords=catapult

We built a large trebuchet, once. Iíd love another. What tremendous fun.

Peace,
Robert

PhaseLockedLoop
10-04-2018, 11:10 AM
I had thought of pointing this out, but refrained. I do think it's worth pointing out that the statistics with which I am familiar are a little more nuanced, and the wording is important: having a gun in the house increases, not decreases, the chance that someone in the house will be injured or killed by a gun.

Carry on.

Perfectly true. Thank you.

Tar Devil
10-04-2018, 12:08 PM
When your daughter comes into your room - terrified, hysterical and out of breath - saying someone is coming through her bedroom window... maybe you'll understand.

That was in the BEST neighborhood in our city.

She's been raped once. That's enough.