PDA

View Full Version : A reflection on our representative government

Norman Bernstein
09-28-2018, 07:10 AM
Well, maybe not so 'representative', after all:

“To Dems who can’t believe what they’re watching, remember: a majority of the Senate now represents 18% of the population and answers to a subset of voters that is considerably whiter, redder and more rural than the nation as a whole. That’s the reality of our times.”

-- David Wasserman

skuthorp
09-28-2018, 07:39 AM
There's no doubt that the 40%+ that don't bother to vote get the government they deserve.

David W Pratt
09-28-2018, 10:22 AM
Isn't that kind of why the Senate was conceived? To balance purely popular opinions?

CWSmith
09-28-2018, 10:25 AM
A friend I work with becomes a citizen 3 hours from now.

And he has promised to vote.

Being a Muslim of French extraction, I have a feeling he might not vote for the orange one.

ron ll
09-28-2018, 10:30 AM
I went to a friend's swearing in ceremony a couple of years ago, a very moving experience and a great reminder of what so many of us take for granted every day. And these new citizens are the last ones who would shirk their duty by not voting.

John Smith
09-28-2018, 10:34 AM
I find it embarrassing. The senate is suppose to be a civil body of deliberation. Committees are supposed to finders of fact.

I'm beginning to think everyone who testifies, everyone who runs for or holds office, should be connected to a polygraph.

I think applicants for the high court should have to answer questions on their opinions on legal subjects.

We have come to a very sad place. Alternative facts are free speech.

Yesterday's hearing was pretty civil until Graham changed that.

to the op, yes they represent a very small portion of the American public. And, IMO, if this man gets on the court, the court will represent white men. Women, minorities, etc. will be in deeper trouble.

Too Little Time
09-28-2018, 11:25 AM
Well, maybe not so 'representative', after all:
David Wasserman seems to have failed to read the Constitution. The Senate represents the states not the population. (Ignore the subsequent amendment.)

Peerie Maa
09-28-2018, 02:17 PM
David Wasserman seems to have failed to read the Constitution. The Senate represents the states not the population. (Ignore the subsequent amendment.)

What is the mechanism that allows the Sates to inform their Senators of the States wishes? How does it work?

Too Little Time
09-28-2018, 04:01 PM
What is the mechanism that allows the Sates to inform their Senators of the States wishes? How does it work?
I think they have the same mechanisms as individuals have with regard to their representatives. The governor calls them on the phone and speaks to them. Or perhaps the legislature writes a letter delivered by the pony express.

skuthorp
09-28-2018, 04:08 PM
The problem with representative government is whom, once elected, they actually represent.

Peerie Maa
09-28-2018, 04:13 PM
I think they have the same mechanisms as individuals have with regard to their representatives. The governor calls them on the phone and speaks to them. Or perhaps the legislature writes a letter delivered by the pony express.

So you have no idea?

NEXT

John of Phoenix
09-28-2018, 04:33 PM
What is the mechanism that allows the Sates to inform their Senators of the States wishes? How does it work?I use the telephone and email. I have no delusions as to the ineffectiveness of either.