PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use large drones?

Canoez
09-27-2018, 01:46 PM
I've got a project that I'm working on that will require a large drone - probably an octocopter for what we're looking to do with it. It will be lifting a fairly heavy load - about 13 pounds or so. Does anybody have any experience with something like that?

Suggestions? Comments?

JTA
09-27-2018, 02:02 PM
13 pounds? wow, that's a pretty heavy payload. I have flown Red cameras in some DJI products and they work great, but nowhere near 13 pounds.
You might try talking with some aerial film companies.

Jack

Rum_Pirate
09-27-2018, 02:04 PM
13 lbs is a lot of explosive. :rolleyes:

Canoez
09-27-2018, 02:22 PM
13 pounds? wow, that's a pretty heavy payload. I have flown Red cameras in some DJI products and they work great, but nowhere near 13 pounds.
You might try talking with some aerial film companies.

Jack

DJI products are one vendor we've looked at. Some have 10-12 kilogram payloads. Flight times are a concern - we were looking at having a 1/2 hour flight time, but many are only able to get 15-20 minutes or so.

paulf
09-27-2018, 02:38 PM
DJI products are one vendor we've looked at. Some have 10-12 kilogram payloads. Flight times are a concern - we were looking at having a 1/2 hour flight time, but many are only able to get 15-20 minutes or so.

A Bell Jet Ranger and JOP over for dinner.

Canoez
09-27-2018, 02:40 PM
A Bell Jet Ranger and JOP over for dinner.

Well, sadly, that pairing doesn't meet FAA Part 107... Not that I'm sure he wouldn't have a good time in Australia.

Breakaway
09-27-2018, 03:00 PM
We struggle with this photographing boats. If faced with a situation where we are pushing at the end of a drone's range, then its time to hire a helicopter. ( There's many a drone at the bottom of lakes, bays and the ocean DAMHIKT)

FWIW: We don't own drones anymore ( well we have a couple lite duty DJI's ) rather we hire drone pilots for jobs. Ends up being cheaper and easier than losing a drone...which will eventually happen. YMMV etc, etc

Kevin

Canoez
09-27-2018, 03:07 PM
We struggle with this photographing boats. If faced with a situation where we are pushing at the end of a drone's range, then its time to hire a helicopter. ( There's many a drone at the bottom of lakes, bays and the ocean DAMHIKT)

FWIW: We don't own drones anymore ( well we have a couple lite duty DJI's ) rather we hire drone pilots for jobs. Ends up being cheaper and easier than losing a drone...which will eventually happen. YMMV etc, etc

Kevin

Sadly, I don't have that option. The inclusion of the drone is contractual. I don't have to worry about water - at least not that I know of.

Some of the drones have some neat features - like return to start point when they are running low on power.

dld
09-27-2018, 03:22 PM
I have not used one but the Freefly Systems ALTA UAV
by Freefly Systems

Price: $11,995.00
Fast Setup - Unpacks, ready to shoot, in under five minutes
Heavy Payloads - Optimized for up to 15-pound payloads

looks like it would do the trick

Old Dryfoot
09-27-2018, 03:23 PM
A DJI Matrice 600 will lift up to 6kg, but they start at $5000 USD.

Canoez
09-27-2018, 03:31 PM
I have not used one but the Freefly Systems ALTA UAV
by Freefly Systems

Price: $11,995.00
Fast Setup - Unpacks, ready to shoot, in under five minutes
Heavy Payloads - Optimized for up to 15-pound payloads

looks like it would do the trick

On our list. It does.

Ted Hoppe
09-27-2018, 03:52 PM
I have used a weather balloon to lift 12 lbs camera rig. Used guidewires to control the path.

Canoez
09-27-2018, 04:03 PM
I think the flight precision of a balloon might not be what we're looking for - cool idea, though.

The Bigfella
09-27-2018, 05:57 PM
Well, sadly, that pairing doesn't meet FAA Part 107... Not that I'm sure he wouldn't have a good time in Australia.

OK, so what are you doing in Australia?

Canoez
09-27-2018, 07:15 PM
OK, so what are you doing in Australia?

Looking at the ground.

The Bigfella
09-27-2018, 08:05 PM
Looking at the ground.

I try to do that when I'm walking. I still manage to trip over from time to time.

So, if it isn't too much to ask.... science, agriculture, mining, documentary.... or are you like the Japanese tourists we had wandering around here in the late '30's, very early '40's with cameras? Is Trump planning to invade Oz?

btw..... I'm planning to get my DJI Phantom 3 Pro fixed at some stage once I get it to Thailand. I might have to be a bit more circumspect with some of my filming in future though.... no more flights across military installations, borders, highly contentious dam developments on the Mekong. :D

Canoez
09-27-2018, 09:24 PM
I try to do that when I'm walking. I still manage to trip over from time to time.

So, if it isn't too much to ask.... science, agriculture, mining, documentary.... or are you like the Japanese tourists we had wandering around here in the late '30's, very early '40's with cameras? Is Trump planning to invade Oz?

btw..... I'm planning to get my DJI Phantom 3 Pro fixed at some stage once I get it to Thailand. I might have to be a bit more circumspect with some of my filming in future though.... no more flights across military installations, borders, highly contentious dam developments on the Mekong. :D

It is a project for a university that is doing work on climate change. They are looking into soil moisture mapping and soil salinity measurements among other things. It will allow for more detailed measurements than those made by satellites, and also aid in the calibration of measurements made by satellites to account for atmospheric attenuation.