PDA

View Full Version : The scrotus is a complete nutjob

Joe (SoCal)
09-26-2018, 04:31 PM
There is a reason why he doesn't do press conference, he's INSANE

CWSmith
09-26-2018, 04:38 PM
He's still talking and he's saying nothing.

Want some fun? Turn of the sound and just watch the hand motions. It's like he's trying to fly!

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
09-27-2018, 03:24 AM
Apparently, somebody called Pillsbury (doughboy?) Says he has an enormous brain, and this terrifies the Chinese...

Or so he says.

skuthorp
09-27-2018, 06:00 AM
Enormous brain or just a swollen head?

LeeG
09-27-2018, 06:03 AM
from the press conference:

QUESTION: Has there ever been an instance when you’ve given the benefit of the doubt to a woman?

TRUMP: I’ve known them — Hallie (ph), I’ve known them for a long time and a lot of these people. A lot of people. And some I’ve been disappointed with. I have been disappointed with some others like — you know, there are charges that are pretty weak. But I’ve known people for a long time. I never saw them do anything wrong. I never saw them do anything wrong. And there’s some that probably I agree. I can tell you there’s some that I — I’ve been watching for a long time. And in a couple of cases they weren’t Republicans, and a lot of cases they were not. They were exactly the opposite. But I’ve been watching them for a long time and I knew for a long time these were not good people, and they were never brought up.

Paul Pless
09-27-2018, 06:05 AM
"There's nothing beyond Supreme Court. This is beyond Supreme Court."

skuthorp
09-27-2018, 06:12 AM
from the press conference:

QUESTION: Has there ever been an instance when you’ve given the benefit of the doubt to a woman?

TRUMP: I’ve known them — Hallie (ph), I’ve known them for a long time and a lot of these people. A lot of people. And some I’ve been disappointed with. I have been disappointed with some others like — you know, there are charges that are pretty weak. But I’ve known people for a long time. I never saw them do anything wrong. I never saw them do anything wrong. And there’s some that probably I agree. I can tell you there’s some that I — I’ve been watching for a long time. And in a couple of cases they weren’t Republicans, and a lot of cases they were not. They were exactly the opposite. But I’ve been watching them for a long time and I knew for a long time these were not good people, and they were never brought up.

Phew……………….

TomF
09-27-2018, 06:17 AM
Enormous brain or just a swollen head?trepanning might help.

Paul Pless
09-27-2018, 06:22 AM
Enormous brain or just a swollen head?swollen ****head

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d1/Toad_3D_Land.png/220px-Toad_3D_Land.png

Paul Pless
09-27-2018, 06:23 AM
hmmm. . . wonder why the forum software censured 'toad' in my above post :D

LeeG
09-27-2018, 06:40 AM
Phew……………….

no kidding, What does one call that? It’s more than a world salad. It’s a loop of some sort that shows his inability to empathize.
“Has there ever been an instance when you’ve given the benefit of the doubt to a woman?”
“I’ve known them” “I’ve been watching them a long time”
When my dad was in his mid 80’s there was a moment like that when his dementia became obvious. This isn’t entirely dementia, more like his gas lighting mojo requires some quickness of mind to pull off and he’s lost it. “I’ve been watching women a long time. I’ve known them”

Paul Pless
09-27-2018, 06:43 AM
what's that theory for when you don't realize just how <insert word that rhymes with ducking here> stupid you really are?

oh yeah, dunning-kruger

its a red thing

Paul Pless
09-27-2018, 06:53 AM
wonder what fox is saying today

skuthorp
09-27-2018, 07:07 AM
What Rupert tells them, it's certainly the situation here.

Norman Bernstein
09-27-2018, 07:08 AM

I suspect we're going to be entering an interesting phase in the disaster which is Trump. I'm wondering about the calculus of a number of Republican senators, who are debating whether loyalty to Trump, in the upcoming confirmation vote, is worth more than the possibility that women voters will punish the hell out of them. Will Collins, Murkowski, and Flake, abdicate?

Paul Pless
09-27-2018, 07:10 AM

I suspect we're going to be entering an interesting phase in the disaster which is Trump.

the day before yesterday, fox edited out the laughter from the u.n. general assembly. . .

skuthorp
09-27-2018, 07:13 AM
So Norman, the men of the United States of America are relying on the women of the nation to save it?

Keith Wilson
09-27-2018, 07:44 AM
So Norman, the men of the United States of America are relying on the women of the nation to save it?We do what we can. It does seem, however, that the women have more sense.

I've said this before, but there's only so much that enthusiasm can compensate for a shrinking 'base'. The Republicans have made certain that no one descended from African slaves will ever vote for them, and have been doing an excellent job recently ensuring that almost no one whose ancestors lived in the Spanish Empire will either. And they now seem to be trying to drive away anyone with two X chromosomes. You cannot win elections with only white male southern evangelical men.

CWSmith
09-27-2018, 08:05 AM
Why has not one news source brought up Trump's own kitty-grabbing remarks? Isn't it relevant here?

mmd
09-27-2018, 08:10 AM
In the news conference yesterday, Mr. Trump said that he rejected a meeting with Canada's Prime Minister Trudeau because he doesn't like the way Canada is negotiating the NAFTA agreement. He went on to say that he didn't like the Canadian NAFTA negotiator (a woman, Canada's Minister of Foreign Affairs, Christia Freeland). The Prime Minister's office confirmed that no request for a meeting had been made to the President's office.

Katherine
09-27-2018, 08:15 AM
Maybe he is suffering from syphilis. I once read that egomania could be a result if it went untreated.

Tom Montgomery
09-27-2018, 08:28 AM
What Trump claimed at his news conference regarding what he said that drew laughter from his audience at the United Nations:

PBS NEWS REPORTER: Okay. I want to ask you, yesterday you were talking about your administration’s accomplishments at the United Nations and a lot of the leaders laugh. Why do you think they were laughing?

TRUMP: That’s fake news, and it was covered that way. Okay. So I said that since my election our economy has become the hottest in the world. Tax reductions, regulations, confidence levels are the highest in 18 years, really soon to be historic. Unemployment is the lowest in the history of our country. You look at black unemployment, you look at Asian unemployment, you look at women, 65 years, the unemployment numbers are among the best we’ve ever had, ever.

The numbers of new companies pouring into our country, which nobody thought was possible -- and I said this and I was in front of a large group of highly professional people, most of whom are from either other countries or the united nations, people that aren’t big into clapping, applauding, smiling, and I heard a little rustle as I said our country is now stronger than ever before. It is true. I mean it is true. I heard a little rustle. And I said, it is true. And I heard smiles. I said, I didn’t know there would be -- they weren’t laughing at me. They were laughing with me. We had fun. That was not laughing at me. So the fake news said, people laughed at president trump. They didn’t laugh at me. People had a good time with me. We were doing it together.

And what Trump actually said that drew laughter from the U.N. audience:

Madam President, Mr. Secretary-General, world leaders, ambassadors, and distinguished delegates:

One year ago, I stood before you for the first time in this grand hall. I addressed the threats facing our world, and I presented a vision to achieve a brighter future for all of humanity.

Today, I stand before the United Nations General Assembly to share the extraordinary progress we’ve made.

In less than two years, my administration has accomplished more than almost any administration in the history of our country (laughter).

America’s (pause)... so true. Didn’t expect that reaction, but that’s okay (laughter and applause).

What a lying douche bag.

LeeG
09-27-2018, 09:02 AM
What Trump claimed at his news conference regarding what he said that drew laughter from his audience at the United Nations:

And what Trump actually said that drew laughter from the U.N. audience:

What a lying douche bag.

Only if you believe there is objective reality. Otherwise he can say one thing then five minutes later something contradictory and it is all true, he actually said what he said,it's true.

Imagine it’s 1990 and Trump is the president. Saddam has just invaded Kuwait and Trump tweets away. He tries to put together a coalition and everyone says “we don’t trust you”.

His whole “us against the world” schtick puts into play Putins desired goal to have the US stuck, withdrawn and isolated.

C. Ross
09-27-2018, 09:18 AM
For comparison purpose, I went back to his whackadoo interview with the Washington Post in March 2016. has he gotten better or worse? Same.

But some interesting nuggets from that interview:

RYAN: Thank youÖ Weíve heard youíre going to be announcing your foreign policy team shortlyÖ Any you can share with us?
TRUMP: Well, I hadnít thought of doing it, but if you want I can give you some of the namesÖ Walid Phares, who you probably know, PhD, adviser to the House of Representatives caucus, and counter-terrorism expert; Carter Page, PhD; George Papadopoulos, heís an energy and oil consultant, excellent guy; the Honorable Joe Schmitz, [former] inspector general at the Department of Defense; [retired] Lt. Gen. Keith Kellogg; and I have quite a few more. But thatís a group of some of the people that we are dealing with. We have many other people in different aspects of what we do, but thatís a representative group.

Well, turns out Carter Page and George Papadopoulus were not exactly unknown to candidate Trump.

And then there was this rough patch:

RYAN: You [MUFFLED] mentioned a few minutes earlier here that you would knock ISIS. Youíve mentioned it many times. Youíve also mentioned the risk of putting American troop in a danger area. If you could substantially reduce the risk of harm to ground troops, would you use a battlefield nuclear weapon to take out ISIS?
TRUMP: I donít want to use, I donít want to start the process of nuclear. Remember the one thing that everybody has said, Iím a counterpuncher. Rubio hit me. Bush hit me. When I said low energy, heís a low-energy individual, he hit me first. I spent, by the way he spent 18 million dollarsí worth of negative ads on me. Thatís putting [MUFFLED]Ö
RYAN: This is about ISIS. You would not use a tactical nuclear weapon against ISIS?
[CROSSTALK]
TRUMP: Iíll tell you one thing, this is a very good looking group of people here. Could I just go around so I know who the hell Iím talking to?
HIATT: Sure, then Iíd like to let a couple of them get in questions.
LEWANDOWSKI: We have got five minutes, hard out.
HIATT: Okay.
TRUMP: Oh is it?
CORY: Yeah. You have a meeting you have to get to.
TRUMP: Okay we do.
ARMAO: Iím Jo-Ann Armao. I cover D.C. events. I want to ask you a question about what you think about D.C. voting rights or statehood.
TRUMP: Okay. Iíll talk about that.
TOM TOLES, EDITORIAL CARTOONIST: Tom Toles.
TRUMP: Hi, Tom.
LANE: Iím Charles Ö
TRUMP: Yes, I know Charles.
STROMBERG: Steve Stromberg, editorial writer.
TRUMP: Right.
MARCUS: Ruth Marcus.
TRUMP: Right.
RYAN: Fred Ryan.
TRUMP: Right, right.
DIEHL: Jackson Diehl.
TRUMP: Good.
JAMES DOWNIE: James Downie, digital opinions editor.
TRUMP: Hi, James.
MICHAEL LARABEE: Mike Larabee, Iím the op-ed editor.
TRUMP: Yes.
CHRISTINE EMBA: Christine Emba.
TRUMP: Hi, Christine.
JAMIE RILEY: Jamie Riley, letters and local opinions.
TRUMP: Good, yes, yes.
KAREN ATTIAH: Karen Attiah, deputy digital editor.
HIATT: Karen, you want to get a question in?
ATTIAH: Uh, yeah, I mean speaking again of the system of what a lot of people would say are some of the uglier components of your campaign; a lot of people have said youíve been running a very divisive campaign as far as racial divides, youíve noted you know your comments about Muslims, about Mexicans, immigrants and such. You have information that the country is becoming browner, is becoming younger, is becoming blacker. What in your vision of president, in your presidency, how would you bridge these divides and how will you address aĖ how are you going to run on a message of inclusion of all Americans?
TRUMP: Well, first of all, if you look at some polls that have come out, Iím doing very well with African Americans. Iím doing, actually if you look at the polls, a lot of the polls that came out, in the, um, what do they call it? Exit polls, like from Nevada and other places, Iím doing very well with Hispanics.
ATTIAH: I think some of the polls are saying youíre doing [in the] negatives.
TRUMP: We do, if itís illegals, in other words, if itís everybody, but people that are legally living here, Iím doing very well. In other words, people that are here, like Hispanics that are in the country, Iím doing very well. People that vote. Like people leaving voting booths and all, Iím doing very well with them. I want to be inclusive, but at the same time, people should come here legally. They should be here legally. And I think the reason Iím doing, that I will do well, especially once I get started, donít forget I havenít even focused on Hillary yet. And, and as you know, you know Iíve had polls that are against me, but Iíve had many polls that say Iíd beat Hillary, but theyíre not that, that, they donít mean anything now because itís too early.Because I havenít hit her. Iíve only hit her once, and that was eight weeks ago, but, I havenít started on Hillary yet, and when I do I think Iíll be able to make my points. I mean, you know, but, but I think that just to try and answer your question: Uh, I am the least racist person that you will ever meet. Okay. That I can tell you.
ATTIAH: But do you feel that your messages, your rhetoric, are dangerous and divisive for this country? How do you feel theyíre Ö.
TRUMP: I donít think so. No, I donít think so. With the Muslim thing I think itís a serious problem. Iíve had Muslims call and tell me youíre right with the Muslim thing, I think itís a serious problem. And itís a problem that has to be addressed. I mean, thereís tremendous hatred. Even the, even the guy they caught in Paris. He was being hid out by other Muslims, and everybody is after him, and heís living right next to where he grew up. Thereís a serious, serious problem with the Muslims and itís got to be addressed. Itís temporary, and itís got to be addressed. And you know you may think of it as negative. Many people think itís very positive.
HIATT: How would you identify people to keep them out of this country?
TRUMP: Well look, thereís many exceptions. Thereís many Ė everything, youíre going to go through a process. But we have to be very careful. And I was really referring in particular, you know, to migrations Ė Syrians, the whole migration, where weíre going to take in thousands. And I heard in the Democrat debate, I heard 55,000, okay. 55,000. Now they say itís really ten [thousand], but itís already 10, and I just donít think we can take people into this country. You saw what two people did Ė the woman and the man, whether she radicalized him or [inaudible] Ė but you saw what two people did, and I just donít think we can take people in when we have no idea who they are, where they come from. Thereís no documents, thereís no paper, and we have ISIS looming over our head, and we have tremendous destruction. We lost the World Trade Center, we lost the Pentag Ė you know, we had a plane go into the Pentagon, etc.

Bobcat
09-27-2018, 09:24 AM
He's incoherent and delusional

What an embarrassment.

oznabrag
09-27-2018, 09:41 AM
We do what we can. It does seem, however, that the women have more sense.

I've said this before, but there's only so much that enthusiasm can compensate for a shrinking 'base'. The Republicans have made certain that no one descended from African slaves will ever vote for them, and have been doing an excellent job recently ensuring that almost no one whose ancestors lived in the Spanish Empire will either. And they now seem to be trying to drive away anyone with two X chromosomes. You cannot win elections with only white male southern evangelical men.

You can if you disenfranchise everyone else.

Keith Wilson
09-27-2018, 10:05 AM
You can if you disenfranchise everyone else.The kind of crap they've been trying to pull lately only works for close elections. You can shift things by a couple of percentage points, but without repealing the 15th and 19th amendments, that's about it.

Art Haberland
09-27-2018, 10:26 AM
I really begin to think that you should have to pass a basic civics test to be able to vote.

John of Phoenix
09-27-2018, 10:48 AM
I really begin to think that you should have to pass a basic civics test to be able to vote.And to RUN.

paulf
09-27-2018, 10:48 AM
I really begin to think that you should have to pass a basic civics test to be able to vote.

Or run for office as well. oops JOP beat me to it.

amish rob
09-27-2018, 10:51 AM
Complete? Nah. That gives him too much credit. Heís a half baked nut job, if the way he speaks is any indication.

The con job thing was too much for me.

Peace,
Robert

John of Phoenix
09-27-2018, 10:51 AM
3. Trump Says Sexual-Misconduct Allegations Against Him Influence His Opinion

Trump: It does impact my opinion. You know why? Because Iíve had a lot of false charges made against me. Iím a very famous person, unfortunately. Iíve been a famous person for a long time. But Iíve had a lot of false charges made against me, really false charges. I know friends that have had false charges. People want fame. They want money. They want whatever. So when I see it, I view it differently than somebody sitting home watching television where they say, Oh, Judge Kavanaugh, this or that.

One of ten. More here https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/09/trump-calls-allegations-against-kavanaugh-con-job/571456/

BTW, 19 women have accused the proud pussy grabber of sexual assault. There's a link just below the item above.

Garret
09-27-2018, 11:10 AM
In the news conference yesterday, Mr. Trump said that he rejected a meeting with Canada's Prime Minister Trudeau because he doesn't like the way Canada is negotiating the NAFTA agreement. He went on to say that he didn't like the Canadian NAFTA negotiator (a woman, Canada's Minister of Foreign Affairs, Christia Freeland). The Prime Minister's office confirmed that no request for a meeting had been made to the President's office.

Our NPR had an interview with her a month or so ago. She sounded like a bright, knowledgeable person. Combine that with being a woman & you wonder why Trump has issues with her?

S.V. Airlie
09-27-2018, 11:12 AM
Our NPR had an interview with her a month or so ago. She sounded like a bright, knowledgeable person. Combine that with being a woman & you wonder why Trump has issues with her?Funny, I don't wonder at all.

Edward Pearson
09-27-2018, 11:14 AM
You've got 4% growth, low unemployment and rising wages.

YOU'VE GOT 4% GROWTH, LOW UNEMPLOYMENT AND RISING WAGES.

YOU'VE GOT 4% GROWTH, LOW UNEMPLOYMENT AND RISING WAGES.

The UK can manage one of those. Germany two. The rest of the EU none. I think blue collar swing state workers care about that​ fiscal bottom line.

paulf
09-27-2018, 11:18 AM
You've got 4% growth, low unemployment and rising wages.

YOU'VE GO 4% GROWTH, LOW UNEMPLOYMENT AND RISING WAGES.

YOU'VE GO 4% GROWTH, LOW UNEMPLOYMENT AND RISING WAGES.

The UK can manage one of those. Germany two. The rest of the EU none. I think blue collar swing state workers care about that​ fiscal bottom line.

University of Kansas, March 18, 1968
Even if we act to erase material poverty, there is another greater task, it is to confront the poverty of satisfaction - purpose and dignity - that afflicts us all.
Too much and for too long, we seemed to have surrendered personal excellence and community values in the mere accumulation of material things. Our Gross National Product, now, is over $800 billion dollars a year, but that Gross National Product - if we judge the United States of America by that - that Gross National Product counts air pollution and cigarette advertising, and ambulances to clear our highways of carnage.
It counts special locks for our doors and the jails for the people who break them. It counts the destruction of the redwood and the loss of our natural wonder in chaotic sprawl.
It counts napalm and counts nuclear warheads and armored cars for the police to fight the riots in our cities. It counts Whitman's rifle and Speck's knife, and the television programs which glorify violence in order to sell toys to our children.
Yet the gross national product does not allow for the health of our children, the quality of their education or the joy of their play. It does not include the beauty of our poetry or the strength of our marriages, the intelligence of our public debate or the integrity of our public officials.
It measures neither our wit nor our courage, neither our wisdom nor our learning, neither our compassion nor our devotion to our country, it measures everything in short, except that which makes life worthwhile.
And it can tell us everything about America except why we are proud that we are Americans.

If this is true here at home, so it is true elsewhere in world.

Robert Kennedy

S.V. Airlie
09-27-2018, 11:20 AM
Edward, it happened before under different administrations. You say 4% but, that's just one quarter. I'll see what it is during the NEXT 6 quarters to see if it wasn't some kind of glitch. As far as salary increases, it hasn't really moved in 30 yrs.

Jim Mahan
09-27-2018, 11:40 AM
You've heard about the guy, in a movie IIRC, who named his dog 'cmere,' because it saved time. We should adopt the following acronym DFTWAA.
I mean EVERY time I hear or read that git's name, no matter what the context or the issue, the automatic response to the news and his having uttered it is same, as if it's in my DNA, and I've spontaneously adapted to the looming orange threat to sanity decency the rule of law and democracy in the US. Amen.

Ya know part of the reason he has a hardon for the press, is because of the expression 'if it bleeds, it leads.' He thinks it's disgusting.

"I and my friends [other people with too much money to have compassion or empathy for those who don't] get this false accusation shirt all the time it's no big deal 'cuz when your rich you get a fixer and then you can do whatever people are saying and the other kind of people who love me all of them they sit watching tv probably watching me and they're all poor so all they get is fox news and one scoop, even the dems stupid dems Hillary but still they love me and I get two scoops Vlad likes my tie it's so long so long so much they love me at fox and KIm we win so much is it wensdee cheeseburger.

Could there be a more blatant and casual demonstration of the notion that the richer you are further above the law you can be, and 'got mine' we have ours let's make sure no one else gets any more than is necessary for us to keep getting ours 'eff the poor.' The rest of society is a money machine for his ilk. Some of them are good people. I'm sure.

A tmrp haiku, maybe?

Many people say bigly

What's the use gilt guilt

trmpWhatanassole

Flailing insane twenty-fifth

Gack

Soupy Sales once did a bit on his early live tv kiddie show back in the late fifties or early sixties. He stood at a blackboard, wrote the letter 'F' and asked the puppet character what letter he saw. The response was 'K.' So he erases the big 'F' and starts over, and goes through the whole bit again. "What do you see?"

"K." And then he turns and deadpans for the camera, in front of live audience of kids, 'how come every time I see F you see K?

Sound it out. They fired him for that.

TomF
09-27-2018, 11:46 AM
Our NPR had an interview with her a month or so ago. She sounded like a bright, knowledgeable person. Combine that with being a woman & you wonder why Trump has issues with her?She's resolutely and categorically refused to discuss any specifics of the content of the negotiations too. Though she did firmly but politely speak out on the unwise steps to slap duties on aluminum and steel, and as it turned out had her opinions mirrored by many American economists from all places on the spectrum. I suspect that such things stick in Trump's craw.

robm
09-27-2018, 11:54 AM
In my experience, most powerful men, and those who wish to become powerful, find competent women threatening. And do all they can to keep them "in their place".

mmd
09-27-2018, 12:00 PM
Before Ms. Freeland entered politics, she was a reporter specializing in international finance and business. She wrote a book (that names Mr. Trump in passing) in 2012 that probably doesn't sit well with him either, if he's heard of it:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51K4JQ6jleL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Plutocrats: The Rise of the New Global Super-Rich and the Fall of Everyone Else

Overview:

There has always been some gap between rich and poor in this country, but in the last few decades what it means to be rich has changed dramatically. Alarmingly, the greatest income gap is not between the 1 percent and the 99 percent, but within the wealthiest 1 percent of our nation--as the merely wealthy are left behind by the rapidly expanding fortunes of the new global super-rich. Forget the 1 percent; Plutocrats proves that it is the wealthiest 0.1 percent who are outpacing the rest of us at break-neck speed.

Whatís changed is more than numbers. Today, most colossal fortunes are new, not inherited--amassed by perceptive businessmen who see themselves as deserving victors in a cut-throat international competition. As a transglobal class of successful professionals, todayís self-made oligarchs often feel they have more in common with one another than with their countrymen back home. Bringing together the economics and psychology of these new super-rich, Plutocrats puts us inside a league very much of its own, with its own rules.

The closest mirror to our own time is the late nineteenth century Gilded Age--the era of powerful Ďrobber baronsí like Andrew Carnegie and John D. Rockefeller. Then as now, emerging markets and innovative technologies collided to produce unprecedented wealth for more people than ever in human history. Yet those at the very top benefited far more than others--and from this pinnacle they exercised immense and unchecked power in their countries. Todayís closest analogue to these robber barons can be found in the turbulent economies of India, Brazil, and China, all home to ferocious market competition and political turmoil. But wealth, corruption, and populism are no longer constrained by national borders, so this new Gilded Age is already transforming the economics of the West as well. Plutocrats demonstrates how social upheavals generated by the first Gilded Age may pale in comparison to what is in store for us, as the wealth of the entire globalized world is concentrated in fewer and fewer hands.

Cracking open the tight-knit world of the new global super-rich is Chrystia Freeland, an acclaimed business journalist who has spent nearly two decades reporting on the new transglobal elite. She parses an internal Citigroup memo that urges clients to design portfolios around the international ďPlutonomyĒ and not the national ďrestĒ; follows Russian, Mexican, and Indian oligarchs during the privatization boom as they manipulate the levers of power to commandeer their local economies; breaks down the gender divide between the vast female-managed Ďmiddle classí and the worldís one thousand billionaires; shows how, by controlling both the economic and political institutions of their nation, the richest members of Chinaís National Peopleís Congress have amassed more wealth than every branch of American government combined--the president, his cabinet, the justices of the Supreme Court, and both houses of Congress.

Though the results can be shocking, Freeland dissects the lives of the worldís wealthiest individuals with empathy, intelligence, and deep insight. Brightly written, powerfully researched, and propelled by fascinating original interviews with the plutocrats themselves, Plutocrats is a tour-de-force of social and economic history, and the definitive examination of inequality in our time.

Reviews:

One of Financial Times' Best Books of 2012
A Booklist Editor's Choice of 2012

"Rising inequality is one of the most pressing issues of our time. Chrystia Freeland's Plutocrats provides us with a glimpse of the lives of America's elites and a disquieting look at the society that produces them. This well-written and lively account is a good primer for anyone who wants to understand one extreme of America today."
--Joseph Stiglitz, author of The Price of Inequality; University Professor, Columbia University

"Mix crisp economics, ripe history, and two pinches of salty gossip, and you have the flavor of Chrystia Freelandís entertaining book. From the opulent Bradley Martin ball of 1897 to its modern echoes in Sun Valley and Davos, Plutocrats chronicles the habits of the workaholic overclassóits taste for British public schools, its immodest philanthropy, its fundamental rootlessness. Even as she describes this gilded tribe, Freeland advances a paradoxical warning. Open societies may allow super-achievers to pile up extraordinary richesóand to feel that they have more or less deserved them. But the more these meritocrats succeed, the more likely they are to entrench their own offspring at the top of the heap, negating the very meritocracy that afforded them their chances. Already in the United States, graduating from college is more closely linked to having wealthy parents than to grades in high school. When class matters more than going to class, Freelandís message must be treated with the utmost seriousness."
--Sebastian Mallaby, author of More Money than God: Hedge Funds and the Making of a New Elite

"Our world increasingly revolves around global elites who not only have an oversized effect on our politics but also set the trends and furnish us with the dominant discourse. In this delightful book, Chrystia Freeland tells the story of how we got here and what distinguishes our elites from those of previous epochs. Most importantly, she explains why the elites' dominance, even when it appears benign, is a challenge to our institutions and gives us clues about how we can overcome it."
--Daron Acemoglu, co-author of Why Nations Fail; economics professor, Massachusetts Institute of Technology

"The worldís wealthy elite are more wealthy, more knit together, more separate from their fellow citizens and probably more powerful than ever before. This very important book describes their lives and more important how their lives affect all of ours. It should be read by anyone concerned with how their world is being shaped and how it will evolve."
--Lawrence Summers, Former U.S. Treasury Secretary; Charles W. Eliot , University Professor, Harvard University

"Chrystia Freeland has written a fascinating account of perhaps the most important economic and political development of our era: the rise of a new plutocracy. She explains that todayís wealthy are different from their predecessors: more skilled and more global; and more often employees than owners, notably so in finance and high technology. By putting together stories of individuals with reading of the scholarly evidence, she gives us a clear view of what many will view as a not so brave new world."
--Martin Wolf, Chief Economics Commentator for the Financial Times

TomF
09-27-2018, 12:15 PM
Yeah. For all that I have lukewarm feelings for Justin Trudeau, he's got a cabinet of highly qualified people. And he listens to them. Would that Justin had more of his father in him, though.

mmd
09-27-2018, 12:19 PM
I think that the boy was put in the seat because the Liberals knew they could win with him on name recognition alone, and ANYTHING would be better than the Conservatives (In Name Only) led by Harper. The boy seems to have the schmooze down pat, but he needs to work on his tough-as-nails chops to get to the level of competence of his father. I am willing to let him have a chance at it, because I sure as hell don't want to see Andrew Scheer any closer to the PM's office than he is now.

Garret
09-27-2018, 12:39 PM
She's resolutely and categorically refused to discuss any specifics of the content of the negotiations too. Though she did firmly but politely speak out on the unwise steps to slap duties on aluminum and steel, and as it turned out had her opinions mirrored by many American economists from all places on the spectrum. I suspect that such things stick in Trump's craw.

That & running up against competence...